Everquest RPG race/class combos

Sado

First Post
I just picked up the Everquest player handbook, and in looking through it I noticed that only certain race/class combos are allowed. I can see how for some specialized classes this could make sense, but why in the world can't you be an Erudite Fighter? Don't they have guards and soldiers? That seems like it should be a staple of every race.

My question to those of you with EQ RPG experience, would it upset the game terribly to allow all race/class combinations?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
It won't upset game balance, but it will reduce the EverQuest-liness.

But then again, I play the EQRPG and have never ONCE even seen the real EverQuest being played. I really like the EQRPG, although we have played it 95% 'by the book' so far, so class / race restrictions are in effect.

And as for the Erudites... not having fighters and other martial classes helps set the feel of the race quite substantially - obviously this is a people that doesn't have what it takes to be fighters, and thus their armies are probably small, but backed by potent magics.

However, the EQRPG Game Master's Guide presents the game's NPC classes, which have no racial restrictions. Thus the Erudites -do- have Militiamen, Experts and Commoners. So there we go, the necessary soldiers, guards and police are covered with the Militia NPC class.

Sado

First Post
HellHound said:
It won't upset game balance, but it will reduce the EverQuest-liness...

However, the EQRPG Game Master's Guide presents the game's NPC classes, which have no racial restrictions. Thus the Erudites -do- have Militiamen, Experts and Commoners. So there we go, the necessary soldiers, guards and police are covered with the Militia NPC class.

Ah, that I can live with. Hopefully I'll be picking up the gm guide soon.

Lizard

Explorer
Sado said:
I just picked up the Everquest player handbook, and in looking through it I noticed that only certain race/class combos are allowed. I can see how for some specialized classes this could make sense, but why in the world can't you be an Erudite Fighter? Don't they have guards and soldiers? That seems like it should be a staple of every race.

My question to those of you with EQ RPG experience, would it upset the game terribly to allow all race/class combinations?

Sorry, I'm just flashing back to 2000:"Dwarf Paladins? Half-Orc Wizards? Halfling BARBARIANS? This is totally unrealistic! Dwarves can't be paladins!"

HellHound

No problem, Sado.

I love what they did with the EQRPG - the use of mana-based spellcasting, the interesting assortment of classes and races, and the way epic level abilities are built in to the 30-level character progressions.

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, I like how it captured some of the online game's feel. The races are kinda lame and weak statistically, but since it's the same for most of the races in the book (excepting iksar and trolls, understandably), it's still balanced within its own context. I like how the casters were handled, though, and I like the descriptions of the races and classes in the book - more flavor than what I was able to find in the MMORPG's manual, the game itself, and the websites that had info from the beta or from hard-to-find books in the game.... So I really like the fleshed out history and such.

As for the Erudites, they don't have many warriors because they're a scholarly, isolationist people. They left Qeynos long ago to escape fighting, politics, and people who didn't like magic-users. So they went to a small, remote, inhospitable continent that is made up of tall impassable cliffs along the waterside, and they founded a new city on one of the few small shores that were accessable. They named the continent Odus, and their city was named Erudin after the leader of the exiles, Erud. They settled there for the sole purpose of practising magic and delving into its secrets without interruption or persecution. They didn't go anywhere else or bother anyone else for a long, long time, so they had the isolation they wanted. Their mastery of magic grew and surpassed that of Elves and Gnomes as they never had any conflicts to distract them, and nearly everyone in Erudin was a mage, so they were quite content with that. Eventually they had a schism as their elders decided Necromancy was one type of magic they didn't want to mess with, while those amongst them who had discovered Necromancy didn't want to give up their pursuit of its power, so they eventually went and built Paineel, isolating themselves from the already-isolated Erudites. The Erudites then knew war for a time, and there was devastation, but they got through it and sent the necromancers crawling back to their stinking Hole to hide and plot and curse them. The Erudites began some trade and such with Qeynos after that, needing to rebuild and replenish supplies, so they got involved with the world again to some extent. Now they have some warriors to defend them, but most or all of them are Paladins of Prexus, and they're mostly just devotees of the water god first, warriors second. They keep the peace and protect the citizenry, but there aren't many of them and there's not much need for them. Erudin has the majority of Norrath's greatest magic users, and there are something like dozens of arcane spells known around the world that were invented by prolific Erudites like Al'Akbar. The Erudites' isolation precludes any significant need for warriors, and mages are better anyway for them, given that Odus' shores are nearly all cliffs, which invading ships couldn't land on or dock at anyway. It doesn't take very many experienced mages to blast ships trying to approach Erudin's one small harbor. They're peaceful folks for the most part and don't need peacekeeping warriors most of the time. They're called High Men for a reason, they've advanced beyond petty quarrels and law-breaking. The Erudites of Paineel certainly differ to an extent, in that they're filled with hatred for the other Erudites, but they still generally just want to keep researching magic (Necromancy anyway) and growing more powerful, so they just have some Shadowknights for guards.

warlord

First Post
Just buy D&D and play the original fantasy RPG not a ripoff. If your not up for that just house rule away the stupid restrictions.

HellHound

Honestly, the EQRPG has a lot of different ideas and systems than the core D&D game, and they work well within the system - it also includes a different spellcasting system and some other optional rules as well as a 'lower key' epic level rules than the core D&D game.

Shrugging off d20 variant games like EQRPG as ripoffs feels shortsighted to me.

SSquirrel

Explorer
warlord said:
Just buy D&D and play the original fantasy RPG not a ripoff. If your not up for that just house rule away the stupid restrictions.
Excellent trolling.

Considering D&D was built from miniature games and borrowed quite liberally from Tolkien, the Conan tales, etc....I hardly think calling other games ripoffs means a whole lot *grin* It's an enjoyable system, the haste system is odd but I like it, I enjoy the mana spell progression. I think it's kinda neat that you have ghost hit points and such on gear. Of course you have to, as the spells are (by and large) more damaging than the D&D equivalents.

That said, I once had a thread in House Rules where I converted the EQRPG down to 20 levels (heh bonus abilities nearly every level for some classes that way).

Hagen

Erudites could use either Paladins or Shadow Knights for their guards. High Elves are the same, using Paladins for guards. It makes perfect sense when you realize no Erudite or High Elf would be caught dead adventuring forth as a pathetic non-casting warrior.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases