Gaelic pronunciation anyone?

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Hi all,

I'm going to be leading a game soon that is heavily based on Irish mythology. Unfortunately, I don't know how to pronounce any of the words that are going to crop up. If anyone knows how to pronounce any of the following, please help!

crom dubh
pooka
grogoch
merrows

Thanks!!

R from Three Haligonians

Mytholder

Crom Dubh: CROM Dhuv.
Pooka: FOOK-a.
Grogoch: Gro-gOCH (like loch).
Merrows isn't a Gaelic word, afaik.

I'm open to correction on the above.

Maerdwyn

First Post
"Merrows" is English for the Irish word "Moruadh".

Pronounced "MORE-uh-agh", with the gh sounding the ch in "loch" but based on a g insteach of a c, if that makes any sense.

Wombat

First Post
Three_Haligonians said:
crom dubh
pooka
grogoch
merrows

Interesting mix of Celtic cultures here...

Crom dubh would come out close to "krum (or kroom, depending) do" (the last like the Scottish sock-knife, the skien dubh).

pooka (from the Welsh bwca) can be pronounced "poo-kah" or "foo-ka" or even "bough-ka", depending on the area you are trying for.

grogoch might be "gro-goch", "gru-goch", "gru-gach", and several others, depending on your district and preferences.

merrows is English, so it is pronounced "merrows"

Remember the basis of Celtic culture in general -- "Wherever two Celts shall be gathered together, there shall be three arguments." ;)

The wonders of coming from a mixed Scots-Irish background, with Welsh, Breton, and Austurian friends ;)

takyris

First Post
I thought that "dubh" was pronounced somewhere between "dew" (as in Mountain) and "dieu" (as in the French word for God). But then, I know very little.

Actually, I'm working on a novel with some Gaelic terms, and this thread could help me a lot. Can anybody help me with:

gaisgeach -- which I believe is Gaelic for warrior

sidhe

uisge

Remove ads