Adamantine Body and armor proficiencies

If a warforged takes Adamantine Body at first level, does he automatically gain Heavy Armor Proficiency in its use (since the warforged is "considered to be wearing heavy armor", pg. 50 ECS)? I can see how from a game balance standpoint they might want you to blow an extra feat slot to get this potent feat if you aren't a class that comes with Heavy AP right out of the box, but logically and conceptually it seems problematic. What kind of nutcase would build a warforged who isn't proficient in the use of its own skin?

hong

WotC's bitch
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
If a warforged takes Adamantine Body at first level, does he automatically gain Heavy Armor Proficiency in its use (since the warforged is "considered to be wearing heavy armor", pg. 50 ECS)? I can see how from a game balance standpoint they might want you to blow an extra feat slot to get this potent feat if you aren't a class that comes with Heavy AP right out of the box, but logically and conceptually it seems problematic. What kind of nutcase would build a warforged who isn't proficient in the use of its own skin?
This is D&D, the game that begat Acererak, Halaster, and a host of other mad mages. Is this a trick question?

Knight Otu

First Post
According to Keith Baker, a warforged does not suffer non-proficiency penalties when having a heavier body feat than his normal proficiency would allow:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235044

Hellcow said:
An adamantine warforged is consdiered to be wearing heavy armor for purposes of things like speed reduction. However, it's always proficient with its own body. ("Some days, I just can't seem to fit into my skin.") A weird way of looking at this is that the feat does not actually apply an "armor check penalty"; instead, it gives a penalty on "all skills that armor check penalties apply to". Therefore, even if it required proficiency, no ACP = no penalty.

Good work Knight Otu. I forgot about Hellcow's answer threads here or I would have done a search. I was worried that I was reading the feat wrong, but that's a really interesting perspective on the feat. I never would have read it that way. Quite frankly, the book could have made that a little clearer. I sorta house-ruled it on the spot for my friend's character in his favor, but now I'll tell him to erase that ACP under "armor" and just keep the penalties on his skill list.

Hypersmurf, I did forget about the Heavy Armor Proficiency feat's prereq's, but I was thinking in terms of my buddy's character who would have met the prereq's anyway.

Hong, sure they're gonzo and all, but I imagine even Halaster doesn't want to blow XP's on completely useless crap. "Behold foolish heroes, the dreaded Golem That Can't Walk Under Its Own Weight! Mwahhahahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!"

Remove ads