Dragon Origins

Roman

First Post
I am wondering exactly what was the inspiration for D&D dragons. It is true that many cultures have their own dragons. For example, Oriental dragons tend to be wise, noble and sinuous. Dragons in my own country's folklore (Slovak folklore) are always multi-headed and always have one of the following numbers of heads: a multiple of three (3, 6, 9, 12) heads or a multiple of seven (7, 14, 21) heads. They can also breathe fire and tend to be vicious, savage and not particularly wise or noble. I think in England dragons are also fire-breathing reptiles, but they only have one head and I don't really know any more about them.

Anyway, I am sure there are many more interpretations of dragons. Are you familiar with any others? Which dragon myths inspired the D&D crop of dragons?

shilsen

Adventurer
I don't think there's any single myth which inspired the D&D dragon(s), since (as you mentioned) dragons as a general concept are so ubiquitous in world mythology. The Germanic dragons do seem to fit the classic D&D version a little more closely than some (Chinese, for example) versions. The Beowulf dragon (and his direct descendant, Smaug), for example, fits the D&D mould in both breathing fire and having a treasure hoard which he adores.

Roman

First Post
Hmm, so Germanic or Oriental dragons you say? I don't know... oriental dragons seem rather different. I don't really know anything about Germanic ones though.

shilsen

Adventurer
Roman said:
Hmm, so Germanic or Oriental dragons you say? I don't know... oriental dragons seem rather different. I don't really know anything about Germanic ones though.
When I say Germanic I'm referring to a huge span of geography and history. Some dragons which come to mind within that area are the one from Beowulf that I mentioned above, Fafner, Nidhog, and the one that St. George slays. A google search will probably find some information on them, as will some decent books on mythology.

Roman

First Post
Just out of interest... apart from the Oriental Dragons, Germanic Dragons and Slavic Dragons that we have mentioned in this thread, are there any other types of dragons in mythology that are significantly from these three?

Eosin the Red

First Post
IIRC the Tarasque was a French dragon but does not originate until much later in history compared to Oriental or Nordic Dragons.

I once read an article about the symbolism of dragons (don't remember where) but the article assereted that Dragons were a combination of snake and eagle.

The snake, keeper of secret knowledge is immortal (molting) but locked to the ground.
The eagle, arrogantly proud rules the sky.

Mixing the two makes the ultimate "beast."

There are also dozens upon dozens of snake cults in the far east (Indian Nagas).

Tiamat is the first referenced Dragon (terrible serpent) that I can recall. She is in the Babylonian myths.

MonsterMash

First Post
With dragon legends in the british isles there are a mixture of the Celtic and Germanic traditions. Generally they tend to be the winged lizards type (with one head) that is the default D&D dragons, but there are also legends of great 'worms', which are described as dragons, but often resemble huge snakes and have a poisonous bite rather than breathing fire.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In the local myths (polynesian) there are many giaganticlizards (a few of whom can fly). However most have foul (poisonous) breath rather than fire breath - but I suspect that the concept was originally the same

As stated the idea of gigantic flying reptiles seems to be ubiquitous worldwide (see Quetzal coatl in Sth America etc).

However I think the idea of the various breath weapons and 'dragons by colour' maybe DnD innovations (are there any legendary dragons with lightning/cold/etc breath?)

Dark Dragon

Explorer
IIRC, the dragon (Fafnir?) that was slain by Sigfried couldn't fly but breathe fire (I haven't read the full story, though).

The european dragons tend to be described as dangerous, mostly flying, sometimes greedy reptiles. Sometimes they're smart, sometimes they are dumb cattle hunters who like to scare people and be killed by a heroic guy, finally.

IIRC, the asian dragons are wise and more related to nature: weather (rain, storm, lightning) and earth.

Remove ads