HELP! Eberron - Healing in the Mournland?

fredramsey

First Post
I don't have the exact quote with me, but in the Eberron campaign setting book, in the section on the Mournland (in the part about the Government, for some reason) it says that natural healing doesn't work, and that magical healing doesn't work!

In Shadows of the Last War, the party must venture into the Mournland. How could they survive? How could anyone (except Warforged). Is this a misprint?

Can anyone shed light on this dilemma?

Thanks!

:confused:

Nightchilde-2

First Post
It's not a misprint.

However, several people have suggested allowing healing to be half as effective.

On the other hand, it makes a PERFECT base of operations for the Lord of Blades.... :D

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Personally, I'd say that creatures with fast healing and regeneration native to the Mournlands still got them, although they couldn't use them outside. Allows for Mourntrolls (an idea I am very willing to run if e'er my Eberron group goes to the Mournlands) and other mutant beasties.

Also, I'd probably use some sort of quest item that, after an arduous search, would allow the characters some access to healing when worn, like an amulet made of congealed positive energy, or an Eberron shard containing a positive energon. There'd still be a penalty to healing (less healed? caster level checks?), but it would give them a bit of a chance.

Demiurge out.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Straight from Kevin Baker's mouth (well, hands) over on the WotC forums, the "no healing" in the Mournlands were added AFTER the SOTLW module was turned in for final edits. Among his suggestions:

---Mournland native creatures (those born or mutated in the mournlands) heal normally there, and outsiders don't.
---Mournland healing is half effective. I think he said he plays it this way personally, but I am not certain of this.
---Mournland potions (healing potions created in the Mournland, or that were there before the devastation) work normally, but only in the mournlands.
---Dimensional pockets a la Rope Trick work.
---Druid Goodberries work also.

fredramsey

First Post
Thanks! :D

Henry said:
Straight from Kevin Baker's mouth (well, hands) over on the WotC forums, the "no healing" in the Mournlands were added AFTER the SOTLW module was turned in for final edits. Among his suggestions:

---Mournland native creatures (those born or mutated in the mournlands) heal normally there, and outsiders don't.
---Mournland healing is half effective. I think he said he plays it this way personally, but I am not certain of this.
---Mournland potions (healing potions created in the Mournland, or that were there before the devastation) work normally, but only in the mournlands.
---Dimensional pockets a la Rope Trick work.
---Druid Goodberries work also.

reveal

Adventurer
There's a thread on the official Eberron board about this very topic. Keith Baker comments that Shadows was written before Eberron was finalized. In the original Eberron, apparently healing did work somewhat in the Mournlands.

Keith suggests that, as a house rule, that natural healing still does not work and that any spell with the Healing subschool only be half effective. Basically, "fleshies" in the Mournland now know what the warforged go through every day.

You can read the thread here:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=273669

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I actually ran Shadows of the Last war with the mournland being a place where no healing worked at all -- and my party did just fine (although they were very scared).

The way I played it:
1. No healing subschool magic works.
2. Only creatures that are native to the area heal naturally.
3. Shifter healing (from the Healing factor feat) does not work.

It helped that my party had two warforged(out of the 7 in the party) in it but the situation forced them to play smarter than usual, and that wasn't a bad thing.

The mournland should be scary. If you are really worried about the PCs, hand them a couple of tricks -- goodberries, the rope trick thing -- all good stuff for lower level parties trying to find a way to survive.

Sorting out what it takes to become "native" to the mournland will be interesting. I have been playing with something along the lines of the Taint rules in Unearthed Arcana.

-rg

Staffan

Legend
When I ran it, I allowed half healing within the complex of Whitehearth itself, justifying it to myself by some mumbo-jumbo about being partially isolated from the nastiness of the Mournlands. There might be similar pockets out there, but for the Mournlands in general healing is a no-go.

Zephyrus

First Post
I played it also with the 'no-healing' rule. The group consisted of a Human Cleric, a Shifter Monk, a Human Artificer and a Warforged Rogue. After the Monk got clobbered good by the Carcass Crab the Warforged Rogue started to act like the front line fighter and got beat up on plenty. Was actually rather amusing and funny to beat up on him. I did in the end however create a version of kigotmons (sp) ointment that healed in the mornland (acted like a maximized repair on warforged). The group dident need it.. and I did allow them to gain HP when they leveled up. But otherwise they dident need it. careful playing and letting the warforged take the brunt of combats helped.

Remove ads