Summon Monster Spell

PrinceZane

First Post
Just a quick simple question:

When using the Summon Monster I - IX spells... how long does the monster last? DM says 1 round, but that just doesn't seem worth it... is he right or what? (I don't have the books with me to look it up)

- Zane

glass

(he, him)
1 round per caster level, IIRC.

Note that it acts the round it arrives & the round it leaves, so it gets 1 more 'go' than its duraction would suggest.

glass.

lior_shapira

Explorer
I think the rules are that if duration is 1 round / lvl, the starting round also counts. So if your first level mage casts it the monster appears, attacks and disappears before your next turn. i.e. it gets 1 round / caster-level to act.

Gort

Explorer
The creature lasts for 1 round per caster level.

So it sticks around for 9 rounds if cast by a 9 wizard, for example. Dunno what your GM's been smoking.

Thanee

First Post
If you are 1st level and casting Summon Monster I (because you cannot cast higher versions yet), then your DM is right.

If not, then your DM is wrong.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
glass said:
Note that it acts the round it arrives & the round it leaves, so it gets 1 more 'go' than its duraction would suggest.

I don't think so... It get a full-round worth of actions in the round when it appears, which means just before the caster's turn in the round NEXT to when she starts casting. It remains there until it would be its second turn, but disappears. That means it has just as many rounds worth of actions as the duration.

The fact that it doesn't disappear after its action but immediately before it would have had another round, it probably because (1) this way it also gets AoOs for a round and (2) the enemies don't know exactly when it will disappear until it's the caster's turn again.

Li Shenron

Legend
PrinceZane said:
When using the Summon Monster I - IX spells... how long does the monster last? DM says 1 round, but that just doesn't seem worth it... is he right or what? (I don't have the books with me to look it up)

Ok so if the situation is what Thanee already asked, then it's correct.

At caster level 1 the Summon Monster I spell basically just gives the party a minor help. Just remember to have it appear in flanking position with the Rogue and it's already better :)

Thanee

First Post
Li Shenron said:
The fact that it doesn't disappear after its action but immediately before it would have had another round, it probably because (1) this way it also gets AoOs for a round and (2) the enemies don't know exactly when it will disappear until it's the caster's turn again.
It's even more simple, it is there, since that's the spell's duration.

One full round is from the action the wizard has cast it on, until right before that initiative count in the next round. All spells (with a duration measurable in rounds) work that way.

And yes, summoned creatures get exactly the number of (full) actions as the duration dictates.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
Also of course, one should always remember that a round is what it actually takes to perform a full-round worth of actions (plus AoOs or other reactive free actions you can take "out of your turn").

Remove ads