Recommendations for a City of Greyhawk adventure?

DizzyKungFu

First Post
I'm running a 3e campaign in the Greyhawk setting, and the PCs are coming up upon the Free City of Greyhawk for the first time. The time period is 591 CY.

Can anyone recommend a good adventure to run them through that involves GH City? I'm fine with using 2e stuff too, as I can find almost anything on e-Bay.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If you can find it, there is a city of greyhawk boxed set from 2nd edition, maybe on e-bay, with full-color maps, adventures, a city key, etc. It may not be exactly gary's greyhawk, but it is still quite good. Most any city adventure for someplace like, say, Waterdeep will work well for Greyhawk, because of the generic fantasy nature of the city - think turn-of-the-century Chicago, with magic.

P.S. For anyone who says Greyhawk is less "magic-rich" than watrerdeep - Greyhawk, unlike Waterdeep, even has a college of Wizardry! Don't let 'em fool ya - Greyhawk is what you make of it. Even Gary can tell you that.

Voadam

Legend
There are a ton of greyhawk city materials. I ran the 2e Falcon series which is based in Greyhawk and found it fun. I believe they are all available as $5 ESDs from WotC. They had cardboard building models in them which I never used and I would not worry about in the ESDs. That series involves aiding the church of St. Cuthbert in Greyhawk. It worked even with the evil party I was running.

The city boxed set has lots of little adventures and adventure hooks. I'm not sure if it is available as an ESD yet. The hardcover 1e/2e sourcebook has some good stuff (and great Greyhawk spells) on the city and I know it is available as an ESD.

There was a set of short 2e Greyhawk world adventures I believe called Treasures of Greyhawk, or something like that.

I agree most fantasy city stuff will work in Greyhawk with a little work. In addition to Waterdeep any of the Lankhmar stuff could probably be used as well with a little adaptation. I don't own freeport but from what I've heard that seems to have a different feel style wise.

Bard Lucian

First Post
If you're looking for a single adventure, rather than an entire campaign, you might consider "Cradle of Madness" from a recent Dungeon Mag. It's set in Greyhawk, and I ran my group through it in two sessions. You could easily extend it to a longer plot, but I used it as a jumping off point for further adventures in the area.

You might consider adapting "Speaker in Dreams," which could also become a basis for a longer greyhawk based campaign. It would only require a bit of adaptation.

qstor

Adventurer
I would pick up Greyhawk: the adventure begins. It's set in CYI591 and updates the Greyhawk city boxed set from the earlier date of CY 576. It has a lot of info on the city and there are maps of the city too.

For a continuation, Slavers is good too. It has a lot of background of the area around Wolly Bay, harby etc and the general area around Greyhawk. Both of these are 2nd ed but easily updated to 3e.

For a 591 idea you could have an evil cult arise in the city which is using the caves along the river that the Falcon used in years past. A priest of Incabulus would be a good bad guy.

You could check out the Dyvers Living Greyhawk Triad website as well you might get some ideas there for campaigns involving travel to and From Greyhawk City.

Mike

Last edited:

Cheerio

First Post
GH adventures

Just wanted to say that avoid Treasures of GH.

It contains around a dozen (if I remember correctly) adventures but these are mainly utter trash. Almost none of them have nothing to do with city adventures, too.

Try to get The Adventure Begins (and perhaps the coty box as well), it will give you many ideas.

As for Falcon series... Whereas the first part was quite good, the second and third part really weren't. Fortunately, you can run the adventures separately as well.

If you want good ready-to-run city adventures, I can only recommend Warhammer Fantasy RPGs Shadows over Bögenhafen and Power Behind the Throne (they both need heavy conversion to work with d20...)

Cheers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases