Travels through the Wild West: Book IV

Lazybones

Adventurer
Travels through the Wild West
Book IV

Prologue

S’reth shivered as the cold wind swirled around her as she stared out over the vista laid out before her. She folded her arms around her torso as dark thoughts twisted through her mind. It wasn’t that she was unused to the cold; it was cold at Hlaungadath as well, a bitter cold that could chill the bones and freeze the very blood within your veins. But there, at least, there was shelter, and warm fires, and companionship.

S’reth snorted, and turned away from the ledge. Such musings would not further her purpose now, she thought, as she noticed one of her servants approaching.

The ogre loomed over her, the mass of its body many times her own, its muscled form wrapped in several layers of thick furs that added to its bestial appearance. It bore a huge maul that was more than half-again the length of an adult human, but its demeanor as it approached S’reth was deferential, and its broken speech as it addressed her was respectful.

“Mistress,” it told her, “You wished be told, when the diggin’ was done.”

“You’ve uncovered the entrance to the chamber, then?” she asked.

“Yes’m,” the ogre rumbled.

Just for fun, S’reth motioned as if to touch the ogre’s arm, and was rewarded as it drew hastily back, alarm flashing in its eyes. Good, she thought. The ogres still feared her, at least.

The thought brought an unsatisfactory memory, however, and her expression darkened. The ogre withdrew another stride, thinking perhaps that her anger was directed at it. Annoyed now with the creature, S’reth motioned to it in dismissal. “Rejoin the others at the ruin. I will join you there shortly.”

As the ogre retreated, S’reth glanced back out over the vista once more. Ignoring the persistent wind, she cast her gaze out to the east, over the vast landscape that stretched before her. Hlaungadath was invisible at this distance, of course, but she imagined that she could feel its presence, far away yet close in her thoughts.

You mocked me, T’roth, just like all of them, she thought, her bitterness leaving a tangible taste in her throat. You drove me out, and expected that would be the end of me. Soon, though, I’ll be back, and I’ll make you pay.

The thought warmed her some as she turned and headed off to rejoin her servants.

Once the ogres had worked aside the heavy stone block that warded the entrance to the underground chamber, S’reth entered the dark space beyond. The air was stale, and cold, and filled with an ancient aura of lingering power that S’reth could feel on her bare skin like a cloying mist. She shivered again, and it was not from the cold.

“Remain here, and wait for my call,” she commanded the ogres, who were only too happy to comply. She’d learned that the ogres of these mountains had tales that spoke of places such as this, legends that bore lessons of secrets best left undiscovered. The four that remained in her service were bound to her, now, but she’d had to use frequent pressure to overcome their aversion to coming here.

Beyond the slab lay a corridor that sloped slightly downward into darkness ahead. The stone blocks that made up the walls were weathered with age, and the faint plumes of dust raised by her passage indicated that she was the first to enter here in a long, long time. The first, hopefully, to plume the secrets left here from a bygone age.

S’reth felt a tingle of excitement pass through her as she saw that the corridor opened onto a chamber up ahead. The light from the open slab that led up to the ruin had faded almost into nothing, so she paused to call up a pale glow from her hand that pushed back the shadows enough for her to see.

The chamber was fashioned into the shape of a octagon, with thick stone buttresses at each corner that ran together into a supporting ring of heavy stone in the center of the ceiling twenty feet above. It was immediately clear that this place had not fully weathered whatever calamities had struck down the ruin above; great cracks rent the stone walls in places, and in a few places loose rubble and great clods of earth had fallen into the room from more significant breaches. Several metal items shone in the light of her spell, including a pair of ancient braziers along the walls that despite the tarnish of many years glinted with the unmistakable shine of pure silver.

S’reth hardly noticed such trifles, however, as her attention was drawn immediately to the great circle in the center of the room.

Intact! she thought, passing through the arch that marked the transition from the corridor to the chamber proper. She felt another tingle as she passed through that threshold, but this one was tangible, not a byproduct of her own anticipation. A faint magical aura that did not originate from her sent a quiver through her, a lingering power that was far beyond her own limited magical skills. Then, as if in response, flames erupted in the twin braziers, shedding a bright radiance throughout the chamber.

The magic, it’s still potent, after all this time… S’reth thought. She felt the delicious tremor of fear in the pit of her belly, and her instincts told her to leave this place and its secrets behind, but her ambition—and her injured pride—drove her inexorably forward.

The light of the flames more fully revealed what she had seen earlier, the large stone ring that dominated the center of the chamber floor. A single slab of unbroken stone formed a circle a full ten paces across, its ruddy coloration a stark contrast to the plain gray granite that formed the rest of the chamber and the ruin outside. Although S’reth could not know this, the red stone was not native to these mountains, nor any place close to where she now stood.

The great circular stone was surrounded by a double ring traced in what appeared to be silver inlay, the thin lines unmarred by the tarnish or decay that marked everything else about this place. Traced within those parallel tracks were the spidery lines of runes, symbols in a language dead for centuries, lost to those who now walked upon the surface of Faerûn.

Lost to most, that is.

S’reth approached and bent low to examine the runes. She recognized the language, an arcane variation on the old tongue of Netheril, a language of power and secrets that had ultimately proved better forgotten. Her mother had taught her that ancient speech in secret, taught her to decipher the runes of power left behind on those faded remnants of that sundered human empire. That knowledge, scorned by the rest of her kind, had enabled her to uncover the location of this place, and the existence of the treasure that now lay before her, the power that was now within her grasp.

It had been a long search. For years she had placed her hopes on the more substantial ruin to the south, the ancient dwarf city that lay at the edges of her people’s realm. But the coming of the shadow-men to that forsaken place had ruined those plans, and she was not foolish enough to defy T’roth’s mandate that they avoid those dangerous newcomers.

Now, however, all her lonely searching, the risks and challenges she’d faced, were on the brink of fulfillment in the sweet coin of power. She rose and drew back from the circle, allowing herself to calm down from the tumultuous heights to which her conflicting emotions had lifted her.

There was no hurry, now.

Finally, she settled herself comfortably on the cold stone floor, and reached for the satchel that rode at her side. From within, she drew out a weathered stone tablet, so thin as to almost be like parchment, and carefully laid it out before her where the full light of the flames could brighten its surface.

Then, she began to read, uttering the ancient phrases in the language of a dead people.

S’reth stirred, feeling pain in her limbs as she became aware of her surroundings. She was lying on the floor, having drifted off to sleep once again.

She rose, trying to ignore the protests of her muscles as a result of resting on the uncomfortable stone. She was unaware of how much time had passed since she’d entered the underground level of the ruin. Had it been hours, even days? She felt hungry, but she also felt a vague sense of disconnect, as if the passage of time had started to move around her, merging her with the sense of timelessness that was present here in the vault.

She could still feel the tendrils of power within the room, tendrils that she’d helped to awaken with her invocations. She’d cast numerous spells from the scrolls she’d brought, and could feel the presence of the magic in the room, filling the very air, each forming a link with the stone ring in the center. Nothing she had done, however, had created a tangible result, for all her efforts.

She was reluctant to leave, but knew that the needs of her body would ultimately catch up to her. And the ogres, if they had remained above, would need to be tended to if their loyalty, ever tenuous, was to remain intact. With one more lingering look at the stone circle, she turned toward the exit corridor.

A noise drew her attention back toward the center of the chamber. It was like a faint buzzing, only audible on the edges of her perceptions, but as she watched in amazement it built rapidly into an almost painful crescendo. As the sound grew louder she could see something, too, a tiny pinprick of light hovering a few feet above the center of the circle. The light, too, grew rapidly, forming a roughly spherical haze that became so bright that she had to turn away for a moment. As she did, the sound culminated in a flash and an acrid smell of smoke filled her nostrils. The light had faded, and when she turned back toward the summoning circle she was no longer alone.

Her instincts screamed caution, and this time S’reth listened. She drew back into the shadows around the archway, and in addition called upon the power of her ring of shadows. That item, another bequest from her mother, had the power to cloak the wearer in a shroud of darkness, making one almost invisible when the lighting was sufficiently poor. Thus protected, she scanned the interior of the room as the haze began to thin.

There was a group of beings within the circle. For a moment S’reth’s heart caught in her chest—her intent hadn’t been to summon a group, just a minor fiend or two that she could more easily dominate and control. She relaxed, some, however, as she realized that the things she’d summoned weren’t very large, roughly the size of a man, and in fact one of them was downright small.

“What happened? Where are we?” one of them said. S’reth’s brow furrowed—the speaker used the common speech of Faerûn! Curious…

Her confusion deepened as the haze lifted enough for her to discern the summoned creatures more clearly. By the looks of them, they were a group of humans and demihumans—the short creature looked like a rock gnome, and a thick-bodied dwarf bearing an axe beside him, and two human females and one male behind them. And then, closest to her…

“Um, guys? I don’t think we’re alone here…”

The speaker was a tall figure, clad in a travel-ravaged tunic under which shone the shimmering metal links of chainmail fashioned of… mithral! Added to that revelation was the fact that this stranger, although he had the look of a human, bore faint traces of a heritage that S’reth, with her sharp instincts, could quickly divine. The “man” was in fact a tiefling, a mixed-race brood with otherworldly origins. S’reth felt a renewed flush of anticipation. This one, undoubtedly, was the leader, the one drawn by her summoning. Electing for a bold approach, she let her shrouding cloak of magic fade and stepped forward into the light.

“You have come at my call, to serve my need! Serve well, and you will be rewarded, denizens of the outer planes! Defy me, and you will suffer great torments!”

The strangers turned to her as one as she appeared before them and delivered her speech. The light revealed the details of her form, the sleek lines of her lower body, shaped in the design of a powerful lion, and her upper body, that of a muscled human female. Combined, the form of a lamia.

“Oh, I don’t like the looks of this,” the tiefling said.

Thorntangle

First Post
Woohoo! Welcome back Lazybones. Glad to see you on top of your form and unafflicted by writer's block or somesuch storyhour impeding affliction.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Lazybones said:

The “man” was in fact a tiefling, a mixed-race brood with otherworldly origins. S’reth felt a renewed flush of anticipation. This one, undoubtedly, was the leader, the one drawn by her summoning. Electing for a bold approach, she let her shrouding cloak of magic fade and stepped forward into the light.

Yeah, right! Benzan the obvious leader of the party. Great intro to the next book in the saga, LB.

The quote makes for a great laugh.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks all, it's great to be back! (although I never really left ENWorld, I did miss posting TttWW every day [or thereabouts], reading your comments, and working on new plot ideas).

More to come, stay tuned!
Lazybones

Lazybones

Adventurer
It’s Friday, the work day is almost over, and it’s time for a pre-weekend update!

This time I didn’t start with a synopsis or a poll, but just went right into the story. For new readers, I recommend the short overview that I posted at the beginning of Book III (see the link in my sig below). The adventurers have just returned to Faerûn after finding themselves thrown into an alternative prime material plane (and the Isle of Dread) by a still-unidentified adversary. The adventurers have made many enemies in their short time together, and as their power grows, so too will the attention of others who monitor the balance of power in Faerûn…

Anyway, we’ll get to that! For now, the adventurers need to deal with the lamia and her allies…

The Characters:

• Lok: Earth Genasi/Half-Dwarf Fighter 6. The group’s front-line fighter, a virtual combat machine.

Balander Calloran (“Cal”): Rock Gnome Bard 2/Illusionist 4. The group’s informal leader, small in stature but large in bravery. Died at the end of Book I, but was brought back to life through the sacrifice of his companions.

Benzan: Tiefling Fighter 2/Rogue 3/Conjurer 1. The Jack-of-all-trades, warrior, thief, magic-user, smart-ass. Winner (narrowly edging out Lok) of the “Favorite Character in TttWW Poll” I held on the Book III thread.

Delem: Human Sorcerer 5/Cleric 2 (Kossuth). A young fire-mage whose power greatly exceeds his maturity, Delem is haunted by the sins of his past and the potential of his future.

Lady Dana Ilgarten: Human Cleric 3 (Selûne)/Monk 2/Mystic Wanderer 1. Joined the companions in Book II, and is caught in between a romantic rivalry between Benzan and Delem.

Elewhyn (Elly): Human Commoner 2/Warrior 2. The sole surviving member of the crew of the Raindancer, other than three sailors who chose to stay behind on the Isle of Dread. A stalwart companion, who has lost much in recent months.

The character stats and progressions are listed on my Rogues’ Gallery thread.

Book IV, Part 1

“Oh, I don’t like the looks of this,” Benzan said, as he and the others began their return to Faerûn by facing a confrontational lamia.

Cal stepped forward, his left hand outstretched in a placating gesture while the second remained near the hilt of his sword and the pockets that contained his wands. “Look,” he said, “I think there’s been some mistake here. We’re not from the outer planes, and we don’t serve anybody. Why don’t you just back off a little, and we’ll see if we can work this out without any… trouble.”

S’reth was feeling anger now, anger that grew as it became increasingly likely that her long awaited plans of revenge were not coming to fruition. But she was not going to be denied that easily, not when the chance to show T’roth and the others their error in driving her out was still within her grasp.

I brought you here!” she screamed at them. “You will serve me! Kneel, and obey!”

The command was accompanied by a release of magical power, a legacy that was part of the magical heritage of S’reth’s kin. It rippled through the room, causing streaks of green light to flash through the air as the lamia’s magic interfaced with the residual tendrils of power latent within the summoning chamber.

“Damn…” Benzan said, as the echoes of the command filled his mind, forcing him reluctantly to obey. He was dimly aware of himself falling to his knees as the magic of the lamia dragged him into its sway. Behind him, Elly had also succumbed to the suggestion, all but collapsing to the hard floor. But Lok and Cal, hardened by experience, resisted the tug of the lamia’s spell, and for Dana and Delem, their will each fortified by the disparate powers of their callings, the suggestion slid off their minds like water flowing over stone.

“Have it your way, bitch,” Cal said, and he fired a color spray into the lamia’s face. The creature shrieked as the colors surrounded her, but it was a shriek of frustration rather than of pain, for the magical creature easily shrugged off the blinding effects of Cal’s magic.

Lok started forward immediately, his axe already rising to strike, but he suddenly and abruptly halted, as if he’d hit an invisible wall. The genasi looked around in confusion, and his gaze finally fell to his feet, and the silver lines that marked the edge of the circle.

Cal noticed it too. “It’s a summoning circle—with Lok’s planetouched origins, it won’t let him pass!” The gnome realized that it would keep Benzan at bay as well, although at the moment the tiefling seemed fully under the effects of the lamia’s spell.

And apparently, the barrier offered no hindrance to the lamia’s attacks on them, as the success of her suggestion indicated.

Delem and Dana, however, leapt quickly to join in the attack, their movements unhindered by the magical barrier. Delem launched a pair of magic missiles that blazed across the room and slammed into the lamia’s torso. Dana followed on the trailing edge of the attack and launched into a spinning kick that connected with the creature’s thick body, drawing a hiss of pain from the lamia that was followed by a hateful stare as it focused on Dana.

From S’reth’s perspective, however, her grandiose plans were rapidly collapsing around her. From all she’d learned, outer-planar creatures summoned into a magic circle weren’t supposed to be able to escape and attack their summoner, and yet the painful injuries she suffered—not to mention the human woman continuing to twist and punch at her—were impossible to deny. She hadn’t survived her long exile by being careless, however, and she knew when it was time to run from a situation.

She shouted a cry of alarm that she hoped would carry to her ogre guards in the ruins above, and followed that immediately with another magic spell. In response to her innate power a cascade of magical images of her sprung into being around her, shifting and fading and masking her true location. She didn’t hesitate, and instead of preparing another attack she immediately turned for the exit, her leonine body carrying her away from these enemies with great speed.

Dana started after her, but she’d barely reached the archway when she realized that her companions were still in need behind her. She took on a wary stance, but edged back to where Cal and Delem were attending to their ensorcelled friends.

“Are they all right?” Dana asked, keeping one eye on the corridor in case the lamia returned. The beast had called for help, she’d noticed, and she knew that more trouble might be shortly forthcoming.

“I think they will be,” Cal said, as Lok helped Benzan rise awkwardly to his feet. The tiefling’s legs seemed to resist his commands, but eventually he was able to stand unassisted. Delem was helping Elly, who was continuing to have trouble.

“Fortunately the suggestion was rather unfocused,” Cal told them. “If properly worded and specific enough, the effects of such a spell can linger for hours.”

“Felt focused enough to me,” Benzan said, still a little unsteady as he tried a few tentative steps.

“Is it still up there, do you think?” Delem asked.

“Maybe,” Cal said. “But for now, we’ve got a more immediate problem.” He looked toward Lok, who had turned once again to the edge of the magic circle.

“It’s like an invisible wall,” the genasi said, running one hand along the barrier.

“What do you—oof!” Benzan said, as he stumbled into the barrier, his still-uncertain legs not holding him as he fell hard onto his backside.

“Better be careful there,” Dana said dryly from the other side of the circle. “How can we get them out of there?” she asked Cal, more seriously.

“We need to break the circle,” Cal replied. He walked out of the barrier and turned to face Lok. “It can’t be done from inside, however.”

Lok nodded, and hefted his axe, holding it by the blade and offering the haft to Cal. The weapon was almost as big as he was. The gnome nodded, but said, “I think perhaps one of the others might have more luck,” he said, gesturing for Delem to take the weapon.

The sorcerer took the weapon, holding it awkwardly. Following Lok’s direction, he hefted the axe in both hands, looking to the genasi once for approval before slamming it down hard on the silver-etched stone.

“Ouch!” Delem said, as the force of the impact shot up his arms into his body. “I don’t see how you manage this, Lok,” he added. “Maybe my fire…”

“I doubt your magic would have any effect on this,” Cal said. “Try it again.”

Delem did so, and after three more strokes he finally cut a tiny break in the silver lines that surrounded the stone circle. Almost immediately, Lok stepped forward, crossing the circle without resistance.

“Well, that’s one problem solved, at least,” Cal said.

“But where are we?” Elly said, as she walked out of the circle, holding onto Dana’s shoulder for support as she, like Benzan, continued to shrug off the aftereffects of the lamia’s magic. “This doesn’t look like Baldur’s Gate, that’s for sure.”

“Well, we’ll have to go outside to find out, I suppose,” Cal replied. “But I imagine that the presence of the lamia means you’re probably right.”

“At least we’re back in Faerûn,” Delem said. “That… thing… spoke to us in common, and I can feel my link to Kossuth again, without that sense of distance we felt back at the Isle of Dread.”

Dana looked up in surprise, and her brow furrowed for a moment in concentration. “He’s right!” she exclaimed. “I can feel the full connection to Selûne again, as well! I don’t know why I didn’t notice it sooner!”

They were interrupted by a loud noise of stone grating on stone that originated from beyond the archway that marked the chamber’s sole exit. “What’s that?” Delem asked.

“I imagine it’s the lamia and her friends trying to seal us in,” Cal said. “I’d say we’d better investigate, don’t you?” He looked at Benzan and Elly. “Are you all right?”

Benzan stepped forward, only a little unsteady, and Elly moved away from Dana’s supporting shoulder. “We’re ready,” the tiefling said. “I say we teach that thing what it means to spoil our homecoming.”

With Lok in the lead, the companions started down the corridor.

Remove ads