Why is Plane Shift Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 7?

Teleport, a 5th level wizard spell, cannot be used offensively. Planeshift, a 5th level cleric spell, can be, if you send someone to the plane of fire.

I'm curious if anyone here has any insight as to why clerics, who never get teleport except for the odd domain, get to travel to different planes more easily than sorcerers and wizards.

drnuncheon

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I'm curious if anyone here has any insight as to why clerics, who never get teleport except for the odd domain, get to travel to different planes more easily than sorcerers and wizards.
Because 9th level is when clerics start getting invited to house parties at their deity's pad. Sorcerers and wizards have to crash, and that takes more power.

J

DreamChaser

Explorer
i've always figured that its because clerics have a closer connection to the planes than wizards/sorcerers. Not that I've ever really like it but that's the theory I've got with anyway.

DC

My guess oversight/standover on conversion from 1e/2e.
Remember in those editions Cleric spells maxed at 7th level while wizard spells went to 9. So cleric spells tended to be more powerfull than an equivalent level wizard spell.

LazerPointer

First Post
I'd suggest that it fits well with the cleric archtype-- the guy who heals everyone, buffs everyone, takes everyone to another plane and back....

Trainz

Explorer
Because the cleric's deity has deemed it so HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE DECISIONS OF YOUR DEITY ? ? ? HERESY ! HERESY ! ! !

lol @ drnuncheon

DreamChaser

Explorer
Trainz said:
Because the cleric's deity has deemed it so HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE DECISIONS OF YOUR DEITY ? ? ? HERESY ! HERESY ! ! !

lol @ drnuncheon

:D Questioning the decision of your deity isn't heresy. It is just dumb (at least if he or she is standing right there). Questioning the decisions of the most politically powerful sect of your deity's religion, now that is heresy.

:p

DC

khyberpunnisher

First Post
I'm guessing it's lower for Clerics so that when your Sorceror can finally cast Lesser Create Demiplane at level 14, his 12th level Cleric cohort can already cast Plane Shift several times a day for him so that he can travel to and from his new private demiplane.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Teleport, a 5th level wizard spell, cannot be used offensively. Planeshift, a 5th level cleric spell, can be, if you send someone to the plane of fire.

"Insight?" Not per se. My guess would be (and personal rationale has always been) because Clerics are the "dealing with other planes" guys, in general. Their whole magic shtick is about contacting/receiving power from other (generally, the "higher" or "lower") planes.

Makes sense Clerics get plane shift a little earlier. And, as you noted, the arcane "teleport" is a 5th level spell. So wizards are getting their "bop around at will" thing at the same level. It's just different/more difficult for them to get to another plane...and it's more "difficult" for clerics to get from one place to another on their plane.

Recall, also, that Clerics get "Word of Recall" which is, essentially, a personal/defensive teleport that comes in at 6th level...so they're kind of evenly matched...though WoR has a single stipulated destination, you can still take whomever you're touching...which might account for its lower level than when mage's get Plane Shift.

I'm also not entirely sure Plane Shift has useful "offensive" capabilities, seeing as the need, as with Teleport and WoR, you need to be touching those who the spell effects, and you go with them! So, sure, if you're immune to fire damage, you can take someone and "drop them off" there. But it's not like Banishment or Maze.

Remove ads