Tell me about Vampires (or lack of vampires) in Your World

Seems like vampires have come up a lot recently in my conversations with my group... all sorts of talk about what kind of blood they need, what they can wild shape into (wolf? bat?).

Are your vampires classic, Rice, Buffy, or any other generalization in the entertainment medium?

If you don't have vampires in your world, what would they be like if you did have them in your world?

Is there a reason you *don't* use vampires? If so, why not?

Tell me all about it!!

Turjan

Explorer
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Is there a reason you *don't* use vampires? If so, why not?

I've got a slightly altered "standard fantasy" setting, and vampires scream 19th century to me; thus no vampires IMC. Although werewolves fall under the same category, I find them easier to integrate.

Galethorn

First Post
No vampires in my setting; undead only come as 'mindless corporeal' or 'sentient incorporeal' types. Now, there are humans who have been so wholly consumed by dark magic that they become effectively immortal, but they don't drink blood, turn into bats, or have super strength...they just live for a long, long time, get deathly pale, and no longer need to eat or drink.
They're also so rare that they don't even have a special name; 'dark sorcerers' is specific enough for such a small number of individuals throughout history.

That said, if I did have vampires, I'd get rid of the bat and blood things, and not call them vampires.

Gimme a good old wight any day; not one 'o' thems D&D-style super-zombies, but a half-wraith/half-corpse that lures mortals to their deaths, only to rise again as servants of their killer. Oh, and D&D-style super-zombies; they're pretty good too, as far as 'evil undead' go.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
They appear from time to time; they'd be a mixture of Buffy, WoD and Classical in some ways. They have the various powers in the MM and may develop more (or more powerful versions) as they grow older. Those powers are generally unique to a vampire and his or her 'lineage'.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I don't use the standard vampire. On Dragon Earth vampires belong to a class of being known as the unliving. The unliving being those who live through some extraordinary means. In the case of vampires through the ingestion of the blood of a sophont. Kobolds, humans, and the like.

Vampires are very strong, agile, and smart by and large. They also tend to dress conservatively, in a manner that lets them blend in. Any vampire who survives for any great length of time learns the value of blending in.

No shape-changing. Unless it was gained at birth (natural talent or therianthropy) or through training (druidical education, wizard spell). At the same time, they take no especial harm from the sun. Matter of fact, most vampires get tanned because it messes with people's expectations of them.

Finally, most vampires don't hunt. Especially the older ones. It all has to do with how blood is obtained.

Blood taken from an unwilling subject is not as potent as blood taken from a willing donor. And blood donated for money is not as puissant as that donated by one doing it for no reason other than charity. The most powerful is blood donated by a very spiritual person.

If the source is unwilling it takes a quart or two to keep the vampire alive for a day. If donated for money a pint will suffice for the same period. Freely given blood will endow the vampire with liFe at the rate of one ounce for a full week. If the blood comes from one who is accounted holy that ounce will suffice for a full month.

Blessing the blood (with the obvious exception of that taken from one unwilling) doubles duration.

(It is said that blood from a genuine saint or bhoddisvata can cure vampirism, restoring the drinker to true life.)

Yes, blood is sold at the store. Since it has uses in fields such as thaumaturgy, religious rites, and such most anybody can buy it. Price can vary according to brand, with generic blood being the cheapest, and Vatican Brand blood (yes, that Vatican) going for a hefty price. (But since Vatican Brand blood lasts two months per ounce, many vampires consider it cheap for what they get. Rumor has it some batches have cured vampirism.)

The effects of going without blood are... ...distressing.

In short, vampires are a lot like ordinary people, but require a special 'supplement'. With that supplement they can live ordinary lives, and the vast majority do.

There's more to be said about them, but that can wait for later.

Remove ads