Dispel Magic - Dispel single spell only?

StealthyMark

First Post
Can a character using a targeted Dispel Magic dispel only one spell among others? For example, a wizard is hasted and improved invisible. Another character casts Glitterdust on him. Can the wizard dispel the Glitterdust only?

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you target a spell, you dispel that spell only. If you target a person, you roll dispel checks for all of the spells on the target.

You can dispel Glitterdust only, if you know the spell is in effect on the subject (person). If you did see or hear the spell's somatic or verbal components, you can know that the spell is Glitterdust by making spellcraft check (DC 15 + Spell level). DC is 21 + Spell level, if you try to figure out the spell after the spell is cast.

Last edited:

Ziggy

First Post
Sure.

From the SRD:
The character choose to use dispel magic in one of three ways: a targeted dispel, an area dispel, or a counterspell:

Targeted Dispel: One object, creature, or spell is the target of the spell.

Just use a targeted dispel on the spell you want to go, all other spells (and items) are unaffected.

.Ziggy

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Here's an interesting question: how much do you need to know about a spell in order to target it?

Say, for example, that someone points at me and mutters, and my flesh begins crawling with maggots. Can I say, "Augh! Augh! I dispel this crawly-maggot-spell!" Or do I need to make a spellcraft check in order to figure out what spell is causing me to crawl with maggots before I can dispel it?

I'd say the former; what do you folks think?

Daniel

Darklone

Easy

Pielorinho said:
Here's an interesting question: how much do you need to know about a spell in order to target it?

You have to notice the enemy casting. And have a readied action at hand to dispel his spell, else you are too slow.

Say, for example, that someone points at me and mutters, and my flesh begins crawling with maggots. Can I say, "Augh! Augh! I dispel this crawly-maggot-spell!"

Well, then it's too late already :D

Or do I need to make a spellcraft check in order to figure out what spell is causing me to crawl with maggots before I can dispel it?

You have to be ready, notice him casting, follow his spell and spoil it. Very easy to understand, did you never attend some lessons about magical theory and constructive interfering magical weaves and waves?

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Vadania

Explorer
Darklone, I beleive he was asking about dispelling a spell with a lasting effect rahter than asking about counterspelling a spell as it is cast.

Ziggy

First Post
Pielorinho said:

Say, for example, that someone points at me and mutters, and my flesh begins crawling with maggots. Can I say, "Augh! Augh! I dispel this crawly-maggot-spell!" Or do I need to make a spellcraft check in order to figure out what spell is causing me to crawl with maggots before I can dispel it?

I'd say the former; what do you folks think?

Daniel

I agree. But there AFAIK no definite rules for this. But normally you don't need *any* knowledge of a spell to dispel it using Dispal Magic (e.g. if counterspelling you don't have to do a Spellcraft roll, you just have to make the level check for Dispel Magic).

I would however say that you need some way to identify the spell you want to target. You cannor use a Targeted Dispel on a spell you cannot sense or identify in some way, and thus you cannot use a Targeted Dispel on e.g. Cats Grace on a foe unless you saw the casting of that spell.

.Ziggy

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
What if you're fighting the rogue who stole your Wand of Cat's Grace two hours ago, and he seems harder to hit than he used to be? Even if you never saw him use the wand, you could guess that he's under its influence. If you wanted to dispel only Cat's Grace on him, I'd allow you to try. But if your dispel fizzled, your character wouldn't know whether it was because you missed the dispel check or because CG wasn't in effect in the first place.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Ziggy said:
Sure.

From the SRD:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The character choose to use dispel magic in one of three ways: a targeted dispel, an area dispel, or a counterspell:

Targeted Dispel: One object, creature, or spell is the target of the spell.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just use a targeted dispel on the spell you want to go, all other spells (and items) are unaffected.

.Ziggy

I'm not so sure about that. I think that the "one spell" it's referring to would be a free standing spell or spell effect (such as a summoned monster, or a wall of fire).

If a spell is on someone, I don't think you would be able to pick that spell out seperately from them (you can't "see" most spells to target them). I think you would have to target the person to dispell any spells on them. And if you target yourself with your own dispel magic, you automatically dispel all your own spells, in addition to possibly dispelling any other spells.

That's just the way it reads to me, and my main character is a 9th level wizard. *shrug*

Remove ads