Paladin's mount advancment

ShadowMaster

First Post
How does Paladin's mount advance in lvl? The paladin in my campain got his WasHorse at 7th lvl. We took the WarHorse and Applied the Celestial Template to it plus some modification took in the PHB in the Special Paladin Mount section. Now, my paladin has gain a new lvl so, what about the warHorse?

thanks...

Jeremy

Explorer
The warhorse gains extra D8's at the levels which the chart says he does.

If you've got Defenders of the Faith, use the chart for the celestial warhorse, if you haven't, just make use of the standard paladin chart (it's only one off in this case I believe).

The war horse gains extra d8's, base attack bonus, and base saves as his hit dice go up. Since the mount becomes a magical beast when it becomes a paladin mount, your DM may rule that it gets feats and skills with it's bonus hit die as per the advancement section in the Monster Manual. Then again, he might say it doesn't specifically list them so he might not. He also might say as a celestial warhorse, it is an outsider and advances as such, up to him.

Once he gives you a type to advance in, just have a look at the big chart in the front of the Monster Manual (or the advancement section in the System Reference Document).

Artoomis

First Post
The others posting here have it right, but I'll restate in the hopes of providing even more claritry.

1. Defenders of the Faith (DotF) has rules for unusual mounts. A celestial war horse is an unusual mount.

2. A celestial war dog advances as if the paladin was one level lower. I don't know about the celestial war horse, as I do not own DotF.

3. A celstial has it's own rule for what happens when it advances - these incude skills and feats, and are in the monster manual. your Dm may or may not shoose to follow those rules - he'd be correct either way, because it's not completely clear from the rule which way you'd go for a paladin's mount.

4. The PHB has a chart that says what happens to the mount as the paladion advances. Follow that chart. Note that it does not matter at what level you call your mount - at any particular paladin level the mount has certain properties - the chart tells you what those are.

5. There is some disagreement over whether the paladin's mount's Natural AC is a Natural AC bonus (doesn't stack with the mount's Natural AC) or i an improvement to the mount's Natural AC (stacks with it). Your DM will have to decide which way to go with this one.

For my advice, see items #3 and # 19 in:

http://hometown.aol.com/westronic/DnD.html

Remove ads