John Carter of Mars update

Swoop109

First Post
Found this information on; http://members.cox.net/comingattractions/index.html

"John Carter of Mars - Film Update!
Director Kerry Conran, along with brother Kevin and a team of production personnel, met with Danton Burroughs at the Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. offices in Tarzana December 2nd, to discuss the Paramount John Carter of Mars film project.

Danton shared Edgar Rice Burroughs' vision for Barsoom adventures on film, while longtime ERB fan and Hollywood writer Tracy Griffin added his expertise to the discussions. A plethora of Barsoom reference material was presented to the Conran team: pulp magazines, comics, American and foreign editions of the Mars series, the Library of Illustration volumes, Trendmaster and other toys and memorabilia, games, fanzines, biographies and bibliographies. Artwork from a broad cross-section of Mars artists, old and new, was also on display: St. John, Schoonover, Burroughs, Marsh, Frazetta, Krenkel, Whelan, D'Achille, Boris, Jusko, Kubert, Kane, Yeates, Stout, etc.

Adding to the uniqueness of this meeting was the showcasing of the artistry of Danton's father, John Coleman Burroughs. This included many of the materials JCB had created to serve as models for his John Carter art projects: a full-scale hand-carved Martian sword, a thark head, a large model of a thoat with moveable parts, and photographs of wife Jane Ralston posing in full Dejah Thoris costume.

Danton followed this up by bringing out rare samples of his father's Martian art, which included original panels from the John Carter of Mars Sunday pages, art from the ERB Mars novels, samples from the JCB/Clampett animation project, as well as stacks of big little books and comics containing JCB Mars art. "

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Casting... It's all about the casting....

Rumour had Salma Hayek as Dejah Thoris when Robert Rodriguez was attached to this project. She'd be pretty good, I think. Got the right "shape", at any rate. I hope they don't cast some skinny latest-teen-on-the-block for this role.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You know, ever since Ms Connelly had her reduction, I always refer to her as "What's Left of Jennifer Connelly".

Rocketeer Jennifer? Hell yeah. There's an ERB woman with a bosom that fairly pants for heaving. Or heaves for panting, whatever. But Hulk Jennifer? Mm, not so much.

She is talented, no question, and talent is good. But I'm not sure she's the kind of lushness (I love that word) I'd really want in my Dejah Thoris. Still, I don't think I'd complain at that casting.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
barsoomcore said:
You know, ever since Ms Connelly had her reduction, I always refer to her as "What's Left of Jennifer Connelly".

She has a new movie coming out, Dark Water, she even look more reduced.

Lacy Chabert (little Penny Robertson of Lost in Space) is my latest hottie...

Last edited:

Remove ads