Champions and the Hero System

thormagni

Explorer
So, I believe I have mentioned this before, but I am a former huge fan of the Hero System and Champions, Hero's super-hero roleplaying game. I went up to Indy and Greenwood yesterday, looking to spend the last of my Christmas present money. The Game Preserve was having a big, blowout, clearance sale on Hero stuff and it turns out the regional manager is also a former Hero fan, so he let me have really great deals on the stuff if I would just take it off of his hands.

I picked up: the vehicle sourcebook, the Ultimate Brick (for playing super-strong characters,) Ninja Hero (for martial arts campaigns,) the Spacer's Toolkit (with a bunch of sci-fi equipment.) and Reality Storm (a crossover adventure and conversion guide between Silver Age Sentinels and Champions.)

Hero is a paradox for me, really. It is a great system, a real milestone in game design. But in today's fast, fast game play world and with a trend to loose rules, Hero is a very slow, precise and calculated game design.

On the one hand it is a really comprehensive system that covers everything from normal humans to superheroes to gods pretty seamlessly. It was, I believe, the first and the most comprehensive generic role-playing system. At the same time, it gives the appearance of being mind-numbingly complex. To cover all that ground, the powers and skills list is really extensive and all-encompassing. And instead of the six basic stats of D20 (or the three for Silver Age Sentinels/Big Eyes Small Mouth) Hero has eight basic stats and six secondary ones. Then there are all the abbreviations. Lord, are there a lot of abbreviations.

Which turns character sheets into densely packed code. And in every game I ever ran, combat was exceedingly slow.

The Fifth Edition rules were one of the most impressive, but dry, sets of rules I have ever seen or imagined. It has 360 solid pages, with plenty of examples and descriptions and detail. But it also has 360 pages without a hint of attitude or flavor or setting. It is the ultimate generic game system in that it can do anything and it is completely flavorless. Now, they have a revised edition of the fifth edition that adds another 200 pages including a tutorial on how to apply the Hero system in various genres. It has to be close to 600 pages. They have come out with a book called Sidekick, that is a distilled version of the rules that is less intimidating, which was a huge step, I think.

I don't know where I am going with this, except that I simultaneously miss playing Hero and would dread trying to teach the system to someone who had never played it before. I mean, at least Silver Age Sentinels D20 was familiar in some ways to everyone. This is just, well, completely different.

I dunno. If you guys ever want to try it, let me know and I will get back up to speed on it. It would be easy enough to use it for a martial arts game some time.

Last edited:

thormagni

Explorer
fred_jaboobi said:
What is the exact name of the rule book and revised rule book incase some of us would like to look at buying it online?

Well, if I were advising anyone on jumping into the Hero System, I would suggest starting with "Hero System Sidekick" (ISBN 1-58366-030-5) which retails for $9.99 but I have seen online for $7.50-$8. It contains, I'd say, about 90 percent of the powers, skills, etc. that the full book has, but holds off on the really complicated stuff. And they trimmed a ton of the examples and options and such, making the book about a third of the size of the big book.

The main book is a bear at $49.99 retail. It is "Hero System Fifth Edition Revised" with an ISBN of 1-58366-043-7. Really, it is nearly 600 pages of rules and examples with no setting information, genre stuff or flavor text.

There are a variety of genre books out there now for the system including Ninja Hero, Fantasy Hero, Champions, Dark Champions and Star Hero but all of the rules you need to play are in Sidekick/Fifth Edition.

thormagni

Explorer
Odovacar's Ghost said:
$50 for 600 pages of nothing but rules sounds great! When do we play? I wonder how complex it is compared to Rolemaster and Dangerous Journeys.

Funny you should mention Rolemaster. Hero was actually published for about 10 years by Iron Crown. They had some genre books that came out, dual-statted for Rolemaster and Fantasy Hero, such as Robin Hood and Ancient Egypt.

I've never played DJ, but I can say that Hero is not the "chart monster" that Rolemaster was, as I recall.

Really, the complex part about Hero is character generation. And some might call that, ah, thoroughness. You can basically apply Hero's character creation rules to any genre and they are meant to cover every possible contingency. It is a point-buy system, so you can't just pick a character class, make a few rolls and go from there. You really have to know what kind of character you want and work toward that goal in character generation. But the plus side is that you can get, moreorless, exactly the character you are looking for, assuming it fits within the GM's point limits.

You have your basic characteristics (8 of those), your derived characteristics (like 6 of those, if memory serves), skills, powers and talents (which are a cross between skills and powers.) Then there are the disadvantages. You get a certain amount of points for free, then to make a more powerful character, you can take disadvantages which give you more points to spend. Commonplace now, sure, but as far as I know, Hero/Champions was the first game to do this.

But once you get out of character creation, the game really isn't all that complicated to play.

thormagni

Explorer
And if anyone is interested, I just ordered two more copies of the Hero System Sidekick book (slightly damaged) from the Hero Games store. My plan would be to loan them out to anyone interested, once I get them.

thormagni

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
I have seen some online Conan Hero adaptations.

Vince, you are a font of Conan knowledge. That was amazing.

And on a sidenote, Michael Surbrook, who did the second Conan writeup, is also the guy who wrote Ninja Hero. I met him briefly when I was working in the press room at GenCon, IIRC. Seemed like a nice guy.

Last edited:

thormagni

Explorer
Got the books

Heya folks. I got the two copies of Hero System's Sidekick, the light, intro version of the rules this morning from UPS. Anybody want to borrow one? Even if we never play it, it is an interesting game if you aren't familiar with it.

Remove ads