The Master Alchemist

Baron Opal

First Post
OK, folks, here’s the plan:

I am looking to make an alchemist or natural philosopher class. I have or have on order the Eberron Campaing Guide (for the Artificer), the Medieval Player’s Manual, and Alchemy and Herbalism by Bastion Press. I am looking for a class that does not have a list of “spells” in solid form like the artificer. I would be more interested in something like the Compleat Alchemist by Bard Games where they had a certain number of activations per day, almost like the runethane from Arcana Unearthed. Ideally, I would like to have a class that could have a number of alchemical items functional each day, say two elixirs, one energized stone, and a zodiacal amulet, or something like that. I want to avoid a “wet” class like the Master Alchemist who’s a magician in disguise from FRCS.

A part of the theme is that this is magic from manipulation of natural, prime material forces. As the energy is not channeled from other planes like magic is they will function in an anti-magic shell and be impervious to a dispel magic. As a side note, I would use the psionics is different option if I had it available in my campaign. But I find the XPH too mechanically similar to magic for my tastes. IF anyone has a good skill / feat system for psionics, please let me know.

What I’m asking the list for is any other suggestions for resources. Also, as I develop what I’m going to use I’ll post it here so you can point out any horrific abuses before my players discover them.

Last edited:

StAlda

Explorer
Here's my alchemist, I use the items from Alchemy & Herbalists

Code:
ALCHEMIST
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills
The alchemist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Language, Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int). 
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Starting Wealth: 5d4 x 10 gp.

Table: The Alchemist

Base						Arcane	
	Attack	Fort	Ref	Will		---- Spells per Day ---
Level	Bonus	Save	Save	Save	Special	0	1st	2nd	3rd	4th
0	+0	+1	+0	+0		-	-	-	-	-
1st	+0	+2	+0	+0	Alchemy	1	-	-	-	-
2nd	+1	+3	+0	+0	Bonus Item Creation Feat	1	-	-	-	-
3rd	+1	+3	+1	+1		1	1	-	-	-
4th	+2	+4	+1	+1		1	1	-	-	-
5th	+2	+4	+1	+1	Bonus Item Creation Feat	1	1	-	-	-
6th	+3	+5	+2	+2		1	1	1	-	-
7th	+3	+5	+2	+2		1	1	1	-	-
8th	+4	+6	+2	+2	Bonus Item Creation Feat	2	1	1	-	-
9th	+4	+6	+3	+3		2	1	1	-	-
10th	+5	+7	+3	+3		2	2	1	1	-
11th	+5	+7	+3	+3	Bonus Item Creation Feat	2	2	1	1	-
12th	+6/+1	+8	+4	+4		2	2	1	1	-
13th	+6/+1	+8	+4	+4		2	2	2	1	-
14th	+7/+2	+9	+4	+4	Bonus Item Creation Feat	2	2	2	1	-
15th	+7/+2	+9	+5	+5		2	2	2	1	1
16th	+8/+3	+10	+5	+5		2	2	2	1	1
17th	+8/+3	+10	+5	+5	Bonus Item Creation Feat	2	2	2	2	1
18th	+9/+4	+11	+6	+6		2	2	2	2	1
19th	+9/+4	+11	+6	+6		2	2	2	2	1
20th	+10/+5	+12	+6	+6	Bonus Item Creation Feat	2	2	2	2	1

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the alchemist.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Alchemists are proficient with the club, dagger, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a wizard’s movements, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.
Alchemy: Alchemists are considered trained in the Alchemy skill and receive bonus ranks (considered a class bonus) equal to their Alchemist level.  The Alchemist may create any item he has a copy of the spell or spells needed to produce that item in his spellbook.  The alchemist can also use spells written on scrolls, even if the scroll contains divine or druidic spells, or if the spells are higher level than the Alchemist can cast.  Scrolls are consumed when used to create an alchemical item.  
Spells: An alchemist casts arcane spells that can be drawn from all spell lists. An alchemist must choose and prepare his spells ahead of time (see Wizard classes).
Bonus Languages: An alchemist may substitute Draconic for one of the bonus languages available to the character because of his race.
Spellbooks: An alchemist must study his spellbook each day to prepare his Arcane spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spellbook, except for read magic, which all alchemists can prepare from memory.  
An alchemist begins play with a spellbook containing no spells.

Feat List found in Alchemy & Herbalists (Bastion Press):
BREW POTION/INGESTIBLE [ITEM CREATION]
CRAFT CHYMICALS [ITEM CREATION]
CRAFT HERBAL RESTORATIVES [ITEM CREATION]
CRAFT POWDERS & DUSTS [ITEM CREATION]
CRAFT TOXINS [ITEM CREATION]
CRAFT UNGUENTS [ITEM CREATION]
CREATE ALCHANA [ITEM CREATION]
CREATE ERLCANA [ITEM CREATION]
CREATE GREATER ALCHANA [ITEM CREATION]
CRISIS CREATION [ITEM CREATION]
GROW SWATHE [ITEM CREATION]
PERFECT MATERIALS [ITEM CREATION]

Hawken

First Post
The 3rd edition Ravenloft line has a couple of good ideas that might be what you are looking for. In the Van Richten's Arsenal is a prestige class called the Alchemical Philosopher that learns new alchemical formulae with every new level. Its a 3.0 prc, so it might take some tweaking to get in line with 3.5, but it sounds like its something you want. It does not use spells, only formulae and there is a section in the book about all the different formulae that can be used.

Another prc is from Heroes of Light, the Metaphysicist, except that one does use spells or has magical abilities. But its still worth looking into. With a little work either of these could be converted into full classes.

Regarding psionics, I don't have or know of anything that really trumps the XPH. Its a good book overall but I definitely pick and choose what I want from it.

If you're looking for a new take on magic, check out the Revised Elements of Magic. That is an excellent work with a magic system that is infinitely more customizable (and simply better IMO) than what is used right now in D&D.

DMH

First Post
I suggest that you use StAlda's class and reduce the amount of crafting time for alchemical items by at least 3/4ths. That way you still have to pay to make them, but you can make enough to have a supply of various things on hand.

Or, if you have ST Cooley's Treasures and Objects D'Art, use the crafting rules in that and the following formula for alchemy and herbalism items:

drops= DC squared X caster level X 2.5

and the following modifiers:

Chymicals +5
Toxins +4
Unguents and Ingestibles +2
Powders and Dusts 0

Alchana -5
Greater Alchana -10

Swathes -3
Erlchana -8

They are on ST Cooley's website's forum as well as Bastion's.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases