Gomez

First Post
How about HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR d20! :cool:

Edit: Oh Dang, I just said that out loud.......... :\

Last edited:

Gomez

First Post
jcfiala said:
I also heard (or think I overheard) that the problem with the Cthulhu D20 had to do with someone at WotC announcing that CD20 was almost sold out in an attempt to increase sales. It wasn't sold out, but this apparently caused all interest in CD20 to hit the skids - and so they backed off of publishing anything that wouldn't get bought. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the CD20 backlash from the CoC Grognards wasn't part of that too.

That is crazy. If they thought the CoC d20 book was about to be sold out, that would mean that a lot of people owned the book and that there were be a market for support material.

If you go by their logic though, if it didn't sell well then that would be a good time to publish material for it. :\

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Yeah, if that's true, it sure doesn't make any sense to me. Products selling out is a GOOD THING, isn't it?

But I would sure take anything somebody at Chaosium said about something somebody at WotC said with a few grains of salt.

jcfiala

Explorer
Gomez said:
That is crazy. If they thought the CoC d20 book was about to be sold out, that would mean that a lot of people owned the book and that there were be a market for support material.

If you go by their logic though, if it didn't sell well then that would be a good time to publish material for it. :\

I have been misunderstood.

It is probably my fault.

As I understood it, the problem is that they were not sold out. But sales suddenly stopped, because of the announcement. And if you're not able to sell the main book, why are you producing supplements?

Coc D20 is hardly sold out - they had a bunch at the convention. I don't know if they sold any.

(Or, I could have misheard. I was browsing.)

John

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
jcfiala said:
I have been misunderstood.

It is probably my fault.

As I understood it, the problem is that they were not sold out. But sales suddenly stopped, because of the announcement.
John

This still makes no sense, John. Why would sales plummet because Wizards incorrectly announced a near sell-out... if I was hells-bells determined to buy the CoCd20 book, and someone told me its about to be sold out, I'd just run over a few civilians on the drive over to my FLGS to get it.
Even if I was on the fence, the announcement that I might not have another chance would just motivate me to buy it now, rather than later.

Nope, sorry, this sounds like more of Chaosium's doublethink here.. "yea we had to cancel the whole line because Wizards said it sold out when really it hadn't just yet; they lied! Its Wizard's fault, and not at all related to the fact that we're a bunch of deranged economic failures with all the business sense of an epileptic baboon".

Nisarg

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Well, I think it's rather more likely that the truth got distorted on its way from WotC via unspecified person at convention via jcfiala.

Or rather, it's SO likely that we can't really use this as evidence of a twitching baboon. I would say there was plenty of evidence already, however.

Ion

Explorer
Nisarg said:
The information in your link is not true. There is no "true" necronomicon. I don't know where that guy got his "facts"; but they're wrong.

The "inspiration" for the Necronomicon are the various medieval grimoires (like the Key of Solomon, etc), which are of course real.

But the "history" of the Necronomicon itself begins in H.P. Lovecraft's pretty little head.

Nisarg

He cites The Book of the Arab, by Justin Geoffry, Starry Wisdom Press, 1979 as his source.

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
Ion said:
He cites The Book of the Arab, by Justin Geoffry, Starry Wisdom Press, 1979 as his source.

You may want to read this link:

http://www.techgnosis.com/lovecraft.html

as its a much more legitimate analysis of the whole Lovecraft phenomenon, and the origins of the myth of the Necronomicon's existence as a self-referential cycle. In other words, people who claim the Necronomicon is real usually use other, earlier, but equally fake claims of reality, whose "facts" ultimately lead to a planted bit of "proof" that has no grounding in real history or reality.

BTW; here is a rebuttal of the page you posted:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/necfaq.htm

Nisarg

JoeGKushner

First Post
jcfiala said:
Coc D20 is hardly sold out - they had a bunch at the convention. I don't know if they sold any.

(Or, I could have misheard. I was browsing.)

John

Well, someone mentioned CoC d20 being like 50% off at Amazon, but last time I checked, they were out. Not saying Amazon is the be all and end all, but if they can't get any more... then again, maybe they've gotten some since my last search... nope. All they have is 1 under the new and used for $39.95.

Narfellus

First Post
Last year from Amazon i bought the Necronomicon by Simon (Avon Publishing). Not that i thought it was real (the author claimed to have translated it from a world-worn tome he found in bookstore) but i thought MAYBE it would be a good CoC prop. It wasn't. I sent it back the next day. But do a search on Amazon, there are tons of reviews about it and maybe some screen shots. Interesting if nothing else.

Remove ads