"What do you get when you cross the Tarrasque with a flumph?? "

Undead Pete

First Post
Sorry, no punch line. ;)

Instead, I will answer that question and others in a thread inspired by Blackdirge and BOZ, among others.

I recently purchased Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary and I love it. The very first template in the book, the Amalgam Creature, gave me the idea. Simply put, it allows you to combine ANY monster with any other monster to create an all new combo of the two.

I thought, why not try it with one of the most feared monsters in D&D and one of the most ridiculous. You may have to be a bit old school to remember the flumph, but everyone should recognize the Tarrasque.

So, without further ado, here is my first attempt. I'll add a new amalgamated creation to this thread every so often when the inspiration hits me. If anyone has a suggestion, you can email me at metsgeek@yahoo.com, or, if others own the Advanced Bestiary, I invite them to submit their own amalgams :cool:

The Anomaly
1/2 Flumph - 1/2 Tarrasque

Colossal Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 48d10 + 531 (795 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 ft (4 squares), Fly 15 ft (poor)
AC: 25 (-8 size, +1 Dex, +22 natural), touch 3, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+81
Attack: Bite +57 melee (4d8+17/18-20/x3)
Full Attack: Bite +57 melee (4d8+17/18-20/x3), Tentacles +55 melee (6d6+8 +6d6 acid), 2 horns +55 melee (1d10+8), 2 claws +55 melee (1d12+8), Tail Slap +55 melee (3d8+8)
Space/Reach: 30 ft/20 ft
Special Attacks: Augmented Critical, Frightful Presence, Improved Grab, Rush, Swallow Whole, Diving Charge, Nauseating Spurt
Special Qualities: Acid Resistance 10, Carapace, Damage Reduction 15/epic, Darkvision 60', Immunity to fire/poison/disease/energy drain/ability damage, Regeneration 40, Scent, Spell Resistance 32, Vulnerability
Saves: Fort +39 Ref +27 Will +21
Abilities: Str 45 Dex 12 Con 32 Int 7 Wis 13 Chr 12
Skills: Hide +6, Listen +19*, Move Silently +11, Search +8, Spot +14*, Survival +12
Feats: Alertness, Awesome Blow, Blind-fight, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Hover, Improved Bullrush, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, Toughness

Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 21
Treasure: Standard
Languages: Celestial
Alignment: Neutral Good
Advancement: 49+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: ---

This humongous monstrosity is a floating leviathan. Peeking from under its reflective bony carapace are a pair of eyes on four foot rubbery stalks flanked by two deadly horns. Dangling from its greenish-yellow underbelly are a series of thick cartaliginous spikes as well as a set of slick acid-covered tentacles. Its gaping orifice is ringed with gnashing dagger-like teeth and a pair of razor-sharp claws that extend from its scaly arms. Belying its frightful appearance is a friendly glint in its eyes.

The Anomaly is simply the result of a poorly worded wish. Darby Thistleburr, an adventuring halfling druid, upon discovering a ring of wishes with one remaining charge, wished for an animal companion "as powerful as the Tarrasque". The nearest creature was an innocent flumph, minding its own business in its lair, who suddenly found itself morphing into this colossal mongrel. Terrified upon seeing what he had inadvertently created, Thistleburr had a massive heart attack and perished. In the years since, the Anomaly has served as a reluctant guardian to the forest in which it lives. Fortunately, its appearance frightens away most would-be aggressors since it is quite peaceful in nature.

The Anomaly is about 70 feet long, 50 feet tall but weighs only 10 tons, quite light for its size.

COMBAT
The Anomaly prefers to negotiate. If there is no other option, or when its forest is threatened and the attackers are not intimidated by its bulk, it will resort to a physical display. It prefers to initially spray its opponents with a foul-smelling, glutinous liguid that it spurts from its hindquarters. If this doesn't incapacitate its opponents, it may flee or attempt to rise above them so it may use its devastating plummet attack. In the unlikely event that the Anomaly is cornered, its base Tarrasque instincts take over and it erupts into a whirlwind of destruction, attacking anything within range mindlessly.

Acidic Tentacles (Ex): The acid from the Anomaly's tentacles is continuous, burning for 1d6 points of acid damage for 1d4 rounds after the initial attack damage. Washing the acid off requires a full round action and complete immersion in water, or a successful Heal check (DC 35).

Carapace (Ex): The Anomaly's torso is covered with a bony reflective armor. There is a 30% chance that any ray, line, cone or even magic missile will be reflected back at the caster. The reflection chance should be checked before rolling against its Spell Resistance.

Diving Charge (Ex): The Anomaly can charge its opponent from directly above with its spikes as a +59 melee attack (including the +2 charge bonus). A hit does 12d6 damages plus 6d6 acid damage. An attack of opportunity is not provoked. After a successful hit, the Anomaly may immediately move to any adjacent square.

Frightful Presence (Ex): The Anomaly can strike terror into its opponents by charging or attacking. Creatures are affected by failing a Will save (DC 35). Failure causes individuals to become shaken, remaining so as long as they are within 60 feet of the Anomaly.

Nauseating Spurt (Ex): Once a day, the Anomaly may eject a spurt of its internal fluids in a 60 foot cone. This glutinous liquid sticks to anything it touches and exudes a horrific stench for 1d4 hours. If a creature is struck, it must immediately make a Fortitude save (DC 40) or begin to vomit for the next 2d4 rounds and be sickened for 2d4 rounds after that. Any individual within a 200 foot radius must also make a Fortitude save or be sickened for 2d4 rounds. Anyone who successfully saves remains immune for 24 hours.

Regeneration (Ex): No attack whatsoever may do lethal damage to the Anomaly, even a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If it somehow fails any save against an attack that would kill it immediately, it instead takes 805 hp of non-lethal damage. It is immune to any effect that produces incurable or bleeding wounds. The Anomaly may only be slain by doing 805 points of non-lethal damage, followed by a wish or miracle spell.

Rush: Once per minute, the Anomaly may increase its speed to 150 ft for one round.

Swallow Whole: The Anomaly may attempt to swallow a snatched opponent by making a successful grapple check against any creature of Huge size or smaller. Once swallowed, the creature takes 2d8+8 points in crushing damage and 6d6 points of acidic damage. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by doing 50 points of damage to the creature's insides (AC 15). The Anomaly's gut can hold 2 Huge. 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny creatures.

Vulnerability (Ex): The Anomaly retains one weakness from its time as a flumph. If flipped over on its back, the Anomaly is virtually defenseless. It cannot exude acid, nor can it move or talk. It may only be righted if it succeeds at an Escape Artist check (DC 20) or an ally flips it back over. It can be flipped over by a successful trip attack or by failing its Fortitude save in extremely windy conditions.

Skills: * The Anomaly has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Derived from a combination of a flumph (3.5 version originally printed in Dungeon #118) and the Tarrasque (MM 3.5, pp 240-1)

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Well, ewww. :p

I'm interested in the general mechanics (not the details) of the amalgam template, since I've thought about creating a fomorian template (not the giant - a little bit closer to the myths), and this seems to be a similar idea. As far as I see, it retains all abilities of the base creatures, and the highest abilities?

Undead Pete

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Well, ewww. :p

I'm interested in the general mechanics (not the details) of the amalgam template, since I've thought about creating a fomorian template (not the giant - a little bit closer to the myths), and this seems to be a similar idea. As far as I see, it retains all abilities of the base creatures, and the highest abilities?
Somewhat. It has a matrix to figure out the creature type. Mental abilities are averaged. Physical abilities are averaged after adjusting size. There's a LOT more detail than that....dealing with adjusting HD, saves, special attacks, special qualities, skills, feats....etcetera. It's similar to advancing a creature or adding any detailed template.

Undead Pete

First Post
I'm going to make this a running thread. Next creation will be up soon. This time I'm crossing a Treant with a Mind Flayer and adding the Flesh Plant template. Nice and icky. :]

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ooh! Can I play too?

This guy is for an Eberron game, where the PCs are investigating an illithid-led cult below the streets of Sharn. You're going to have to be pretty old school to remember the dacentrus; they're a smallish stegosaur, and the original stats for them appear in the 1e MMII. I converted them during a dinosaur kick I was on for the Creature Catalogue.

Lurg, Guardsman of the Dragon Below
Amalgam Ogre/Dacentrus
Large Monstrous Humanoid

Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30ft (6 squares), 40ft unarmored
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +6 natural, +5 masterwork adamantine breastplate), touch 9, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Masterwork greatclub +13 melee (2d8+9)
Full Attack: Masterwork greatclub +13/+8 melee (2d8+9) and tail spike +6 melee (2d6+3, 19-20x3)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, reflexive attack
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, DR 2/adamantine, fortification, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +9 (+6 with ACP), Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (greatclub)
Environment: Temperate and warm hills, plains and underground
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Masterwork greatclub, masterwork adamantine breastplate, 2 tanglefoot bags, 2,000 sliver pieces
Alignment: Neutral evil
Languages: Giant

The cloaked figure appears to be a fairly typical representative of the ogre race at first glance, but soon you notice unhealthy differences. His muzzle is longer and ends in a beak, his legs are trunk-like and end in short feet, and a long spiked tail coils around his feet. Angered, the figure throws off its cloak, revealing a well-crafted breastplate and two rows of spines and plates running down his back, with a longer spine on each of his shoulders.

Lurg was once a typical ogre; strong, mean, not too bright, and willing to do just about anything for a gold piece. Convinced by his "friend", a fast-talking kobold, to go to Sharn, Lurg tried in vain to get a job as a laborer, but failed due to his foul temper and tendancy to solve his problems with violence. Rejected, Lurg descended into the monstrous ghetto of Khyber's Gate, where he soon became the leader of a small gang of ogres and lived off of banditry and thuggery.

One fateful night, Lurg's bandit gang picked the wrong target to rob. Their mark was actually an illithid named Chyrassk, who swiftly charmed Lurg and used him to crush his fellow ogres. Chyrassk took Lurg home with him, and through judicious use of magic shaped him into a fine guard for the illithid's secret temple to the Dragon Below.

Recently, however, the temple took a hit. In the middle of a delicate operation to give a stricken cleric of Dol Dorn an undead arm (and forcibly convert her to the Dragon's worship), Khyber's Gate was hit by a wave of brainspiker paladins, strange aberrations devoted to wiping out the fiends of Xoriat. The cleric escaped with a new arm but without mental reprogramming, and much of the temple was damaged, killing many of Chyrassk's dolgrim guards.

In order to compensate for their losses, Chyrassk took Lurg and fused his flesh to that of a spineback, one of the great reptilian beasts of the Talenta plains. In his new state, Lurg views his augmentations as a blessing, scarcely noticing how much his intellect has suffered.

Combat
Lurg loves combat, and charges into it with his huge club and new natural weapons. Chyrassk has trained Lurg in the use of tanglefoot bags, so as to take prisoners for experiments and meals, but Lurg rarely remembers to use them.

Augmented Critical (Ex): The spikes on Lurg's tail are keen and sharp as picks. Lurg's tail spike attack threatens a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20, and does x3 damage on a successful critical hit.

Reflexive Attack (Ex): The sharp spines on Lurg's shoulders allow him to strike back at attacking enemies. Once per round, Lurg can make an attack against any creature that strikes him with a handheld or natural weapon. Attack bonus +6, 1d6+3 damage.

Fortification (Ex): The spines and plates along Lurg's back protect him from some measure of harm. Any critical hit or sneak attack made against Lurg has a 10% chance of not dealing extra damage.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases