• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas

ALL NEW! The ultimate RPG Atlas! For those with a love of maps and graphically presented charts, this is the book for you! Done in the useful style of a scholarly real-world atlas with plenty of graphs, charts, illustrations and maps, this supplement details the essential nature of the Kalamar world. One look and you will realize this is a book for the ages. Aside from zoomed-in, detailed topographical maps, this atlas defines each nation’s industrial, population and wealth concentrations, raw materials, imports and exports, military deployments and dialect languages. The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas also defines coastal currents, seasonal winds, climate, temperatures, rainfall and vegetation. For use by players and DMs alike.

JoeGKushner

First Post
The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas is something I’d like to see for each campaign setting that I play in, and that’s pretty much the highest praise I can give a product. In some ways, this is a return to Kalamar’s roots. Long before they even had Knights of the Dinner Table or were an official product, Kalamar was a D&D style setting that came in a boxed set with okay art and layout but absolutely fantastic maps of the highest quality, both in terms of paper weight and detail.

The maps are broken up into different sections. Section 1 covers the Brandobia area, Section 2, Kalamar, Section 3, The Young Kingdoms, Section 4, The Wild Lands, Second 5, Reanaaria Bay and Section 6, Svimohzia. The maps include elevation above sea level, ocean depth, different coloration for different terrain types. The map symbol keys include oases, ruins, hamlet, village, small towns through metropolises.

The problem with the hamlet is that it looks almost exactly like the village and if not for the coloration, would like just like a small town, which looks almost exactly like a large town. They handle this small issue with a small section on each page that covers city with population ratings on each page. For example, if you flip over to page eleven, you’ll see that in Cosdol, Almven has 4,000 people while Vreldden only has 304. Of course sometimes, due to the vastness of the land, there are actually no population centers so those areas go blank.

As far as the quality of the maps and the paper that the whole book is done on, not just the map section, top notch. One of the reasons I’d love to see a product like this for the Forgotten Realms, for the Scarred Lands, for Greyhawk. It’s just good to have. Reminds me of the old wall maps that TSR put out a long time ago with a ton more utility and easier to use due to the book form.

Now in addition to the maps of the world, Appendix A includes a ton of ‘Geographical Abstracts.” Stuff like common trade routes, ocean currents, winds and air pressure systems, fishing, herding and ranching. Lots of maps for those who want to know where the grain production and military deployments are all coming from and where to go for those precious metal deposits.

After the maps, we get appendix B, pronunciation. A solid guide with a word sampler in alphabetical order. I know I’ve always wondered how something like Ashakulagh or Izhoven are pronounced. The good news is that the word sampler includes the definition so you find out that Dynaj is a small city-state in addition to how to pronounce it.

Appendix C covers land categories of Tellene. For some reason, this section isn’t in alphabetical order. You get mountains, volcanic areas and maturelands, followed by climate types such as frozen, tundra and prairie. It’s a good overview for dummies like me that get the specifics mixed up.

Appendix D is a collection of phrases and comments of the various racial languages. Ranked by language, you can get little bits like Geeno tabash, Bugbear for claw foot and Fissmall, low elven for coldstrike. Each section includes the original reference and the section ends with the Tellene Language Tree, a massive two page spread that should help those scholarly GMs decide how much overlap languages have and where the overlaps might occur.

For those who want an index, Appendix E has you covered. It includes all entries here, as well as where to find more information on the item in question. For example, for the Fyban Forest, it refers you to the Kingdoms of Kalamar sourcebook, with a page reference, as well as its location in this Atlas.

Appendix F shows the population of different towns. Instead of doing it by country and town, they do it by town, in alphabetical order, so if you want to see all the towns of Zahani, you’ve got some page turning to do. It includes town name, population, country, page, latitude, and longitude. Useful but a little cumbersome due to the ordering. Very complete and very expansive.

Is the product perfect? For what it does, almost. One thing I didn’t like? The pages of water. A whole blue page…Not a fault of the book. It’s going for completeness. In a few cases, some of the map tiles overlapped as well, such as with the case on pages 80-81 where the second page overlaps with the first instead of continuing the flow. Sometimes the events overlap like the Sea of the Dead where you get different levels that don’t match up because of the overlap.

A smaller problem was that the maps are too blank. I understand that this isn’t some fantasy setting where each and every grid has to have dozens of little things on it, but some dungeon sites, some haunted places, some question marks like “Contact ended with Jarnil here.” With an X on it would’ve helped pull the book into greater use. One of the few problems I have with Kalamar over the Scarred Lands is that the former concentrates a lot on adventurers instead of sourcebooks so you get all of these non-interlinked adventures for various levels that make it easy to GM is you don’t like making up your own stuff that are packed with source material, but if you’re like me and enjoy mixing and matching… well, for the most part, outside of the Stones of Peace and the Fury in the Wasteland book, you’re out of luck. (Althought I hear a hobgoblin sourcebook is on the way...)

In the end, the Atlas is a solid piece that I hope other companies do for their own settings. The amount of information, not only visual, but factual in terms of army placements and population centers, is top notch and a vital link in any campaign that demands a higher level of realism that most deliver.

Cyric

Explorer
I paid 40 bucks for this work just to get it faster over here in germany and let me tell you: it's more than worth it. It's a beautiful collection of maps and got some usefull overviews of mineral deposits, trade routes and even the currents of the sea.
Each of the major regions got it's own chapter and what you find is a hell of information (at least if you are able to read a map ;) ). Taking a closer look at the maps you can now guess the population density of the different regions without interpreting pages of country disriptions. For me, this is a great help to get a better feeling for the world and to expand the flavor of my campaign background.
What more can I say about an Atlas? You all know what to expect from one and this one gives it to you.
What is missing: city maps. But as far as I know these will be handled in different supplyments with because the Atlas was allready full with other stuff.
What is strange: there are some maps which only show blue sea... no islands, nothing. This may be normal for a real world atlas but it's a little bit strange for a fantasy wolrd product.

A last word: The Kalamar Atlas is just another great work of Kenzer Co. If you shyed away from Kalamar until now please do yourself a favor and take a look at this work. You'll love it!

Psion

Adventurer
Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas

The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas is a comprehensive map book detailing the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting.

A First Look

The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas is a 240 page hardcover book priced at $29.99. Considering that a large portion of the book is color plates, this is not a bad price.

The interior of the book is largely color. The map color plates are full color glossy pages with a very nice, realistic looking appearance.

In places were fonts are used, the font size and spacing varies widely.

A Deeper Look

The majority of the Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas is devoted to full color maps. The book splits the Kingdoms of Kalamar map into 140 blocks (10 north-south by 14 east-west), covering one block per page.

Each individual page provides a detailed topographical map of the region, with colored shaded contours representing specific heights. The maps are very realistic. For example, all the rivers look like real rivers on real topographical maps, with proper looking tributaries and elevation surrounding rivers that properly reflect the erosion of the river, and the rivers wind in flat terrain and flow more straight in rough terrain like real rivers.

As topographical maps, the terrain type is not immediately obvious as it is in more climatological maps used by some other campaign settings. However, the maps do represent some additional details important to gamers. The boundaries of forests are marked with dashed lines. Settlements and roads are represented in a variety of colors and thicknesses to reflect the size of the settlement or quality of the road. Names of major settlements and rivers are given, though many minor rivers lack names.

In addition to the map block shown on each page, each topographical map page has a "zoomed out" view showing a piece of the larger map as a listing of the 20 largest settlements along with their population.

The book tends towards a policy of completeness over utility in that every map square has a page devoted to it, even those squares that only cover empty sea. As a result, there are several pages that are just blank blue blocks with latitude and longitude lines, otherwise bereft of usable campaign information.

In addition to the detailed topographical maps, there are additional maps and resources in the appendices of the book.

Appendix A contains a number of large scale color map plates, graphically depicting some important details about the world. Different maps show such details as trade routes, sea currents, prevailing winds, mineral resources, agriculture and livestock, and major troop concentrations, as well as a sample alternate projection of the map of Tellene.

Appendix B is a pronunciation guide, providing pronunciations of major settlements and geographical features referred to on the earlier maps.

Appendix C is a brief illustrated dictionary of land categories of Tellene. These are ultimately very similar to those of Earth, and there are few surprises here.

Appendix D covers languages in a variety of contexts. This includes a compiled list of words in different Kalamar languages, complete with the reference in which each word first appeared. There are also language trees depicting the relationship of the various languages of Kalamar.

Appendix E is a geographical features index, listing each major geographical feature depicted in the map by type and by name.

Appendix F lists the settlements of the setting alphabetically, complete with page reference, coordinates, political affiliation, and population.

Conclusion

The major selling point of the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting is arguably the level of detail. Given this, the Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas is definitely a must-buy for the Kingdoms of Kalamar DM, as it provides a great map resource on a level far beyond that of the attractive but less detailed map that comes with the campaign setting book, and certainly far beyond that currently offered by any other d20 System campaign setting.

If you are not currently running a game in the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting, this book will obviously be of much less use to you beyond inspiration on how you can make your own maps. There is very little in the way of game mechanics or setting ideas in the book. That said, if you are a big fan of maps, don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to convert to running a Kingdoms of Kalamar game after you see this book.

Could have the book been better at what it does? Perhaps in a few ways. The biggest thing that will probably find the disapproval of the customers is the nearly pointless ocean maps. Further, the Kalamar philosophy seems to be to provide the DM with a wealth of details for the game; many geographical features in civilized regions that would logically have name remain unnamed in this book, and such might have been of use to a GM running a game in the area.

Grade: B+

-Alan D. Kohler

Psion

Adventurer
Sorry to disappoint. I hardly considered it an essential point. The main maps are 25 miles/inch IIRC, though they are quick to point out this scale is only accurate locally. The appendix maps - I haven't the foggiest. Let's just say they have the whole Tellene map that comes with the KoK book on one page. ;)

By Steven Creech, Exec. Chairman d20 Magazine Rack

Sizing Up the Target
Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas is a 240-page hardcover tome produced by Kenzer & Company and retails for $29.99. Up front, this is nothing more than a book of maps with a few extra statistics for the Kalamar setting and is meant to be a camapign resource.

First Blood
Here's a rundown of what all is included in this book:
* 139 full-page maps that detail Tellene in it's entirety. The maps include roads and population listings for all towns shown.
* There are 6 appendices that go into details such as: trade routes, ocean currents, wind and air pressure systems, precious and utilitarian metal deposits, industries like fishing, herding and ranching, grain production, military deployments, languages, a geographic feature index, and a listing of Tellene's primary population centers.

Critical Hits
The cartography is absolutely stunning and the colors are quite vivid. If only Rand McNally made an atlas of this quality. The legends used to describe everything are clear and easy to understand. There is a substantial amount of world-related information that a GM may utilize from the contents of the appendices.

Critical Misses
The versatility of the book is extremely limited. GMs running a Kalamar campaign will obviously benefit the most. The only other person who could really utilize the book would be someone looking to run a homebrew campaign and is in need of a world with the continents and such already mapped out. With this book, he could design his own world using the geography only.

Coup de Grace
Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas has great potential for use in only a couple of situations. GM's who adventure in Kalamar will find this book to be a valuable resource as will some GMs who run a homebrew. The price is high for what it offers but those who feel they need the book should have no problem justifying the cost (especially those who adventure in Kalamar). It is a well laid out book and visually stunning but the overall usefulness of the book is too restrictive and limits it to essentially the single setting of Kalamar.

To see the graded evaluation of this product, go to Fast Tracks at www.d20zines.com.

Cyric

Explorer
This is a Kalamar product... an Atlas... so why the hell is it a Miss to be of use for Kalamar PLayers? It's an Atlas? Ofcourse the use for other campaign backrounds is nearly null... soory, but I can't follow this logic.

Remove ads