DM prep time with D&D

Lately, after having switched to the Savage Worlds system, I returned to D&D (but please, this thread isn't about which system is better). I started making some NPC's for my future campaign, and since I wanted the campaign to start with an average party level of 7th or 9th level, the NPC I was making was a 12th level wizard destined to be a BBG. I have never before been the DM of a high-level campaign, the highest I've gone before is 6th-level (for some reason my campaigns have always disintegrated when approaching 7th-level, though this has little to do with mechanics, but rather my lack of "staying-power" with specific campaigns).

Holy cow, statting out that 12th-level wizard took me about an hour. Now, I may not be the quickest or most experienced NPC-maker in the world, but I'm not bad either. When I played Savage Worlds, it took me at most five minutes to make important NPC's. I suddenly realized that, while I truly enjoy D&D as a player, I find being a DM is more like accounting or doing boring chores (but not while playing however, but still I spend as much time preparing for sessions as I do DM'ing them).

I remembered reading somewhere that D&D is having trouble recruiting new players, and specifically new DMs. One reason could be the reaction most newbies have when they see the pile of three core books (PHB, DMG, MM), a pile amounting to almost a thousand pages (and the endless numbermaking of towns, cities - so and so many clerics of 7th level in a city with a pop. of 50,000, etc).

What do you think, can potential DMs be so intimidated by the amount of reading and system-detail that they choose not to DM (or at least seek out another game)?

Edit: English is not my native language, corrected some spelling-mistakes

DragonSword

First Post
Vicar In A Tutu said:
Lately, after having switched to the Savage Worlds system, I returned to D&D (but please, this thread isn't about which system is better). I started making some NPC's for my future campaign, and since I wanted the campaign to start with an average party level of 7th or 9th level, the NPC I was making was a 12th level wizard destined to be a BBG. I have never before been the DM of a high-level campaign, the highest I've gone before is 6th-level (for some reason my campaigns have always disintegrated when approaching 7th-level, though this has little to do with mechanics, but rather my lack of "staying-power" with specific campaigns).

Holy cow, statting out that 12th-level wizard took me about an hour. Now, I may not be the quickest or most experienced NPC-maker in the world, but I'm not bad either. When I played Savage Worlds, it took me at most five minutes to make important NPC's. I suddenly realized that, while I truly enjoy D&D as a player, I find being a DM is more like accounting or doing boring chores (but not while playing however, but still I spend as much time preparing for sessions as I do DM'ing them).

I remembered reading somewhere that D&D is having trouble recruiting new players, and specifically new DMs. One reason could be the reaction most newbies have when they see the pile of three core books (PHB, DMG, MM), a pile amounting to almost a thousand pages (and the endless numbermaking of towns, cities - so and so many clerics of 7th level in a city with a pop. of 50,000, etc).

What do you think, can potential DMs be so intimidated by the amount of reading and system-detail that they choose not to DM (or at least seek out another game)?

Edit: English is not my native language, corrected some spelling-mistakes
I guess it could be a factor. I don't know. Some people genuinely want to call the shots and guide others, where as some people would rather sit back and play.

Personally, I was born a DM. I love it, and enjoy it far more than playing, but sometimes I long to ba able to sit back and just play, instead of having to think about what I need to prepare for next. I'm glad I have the opportunities to both play and DM.

maddman75

First Post
This is one of the things that drove me from DMing - Unisystem I can make NPCs in about 1/10 the time. I believe total prep time for that game vs D&D is about 1/2 to 1/3. Hard to pass that up. Of course I'm picking up Exalted too, which isn't exactly simple are rules-light.

Don't get me wrong, I still *play* D&D. Just too much work for me to run.

broghammerj

Explorer

I think someone can be intimidated by a number of factors, but they're are ways to minimize them.

1. The amount of material can be overwhelming. I would suggest you use the KISS theory. Keep It Simple Stupid. (Note this is not an insult, but a joke on the philosophy of how I DM). The more books and options you use, the more complexity to add making thing more difficult. Start a game using just the core rules. I find most DMs are players who have played for awhile so understanding the rules isn't too much of a problem. I haven't met very many people who are brand new and decide to start running a game.

2. DM one shot games or short adventures. It's hard to write a campaign. Many people can be bogged down by trying to put together a long and detailed campaign.

3. DM low level adventures. Your starting to discover the complexity of high level games. As the characters level, so will the complexity. The nice thing is the DM will grow with players picking up new and easier ways to run the game.

4. Steal NPCs from other sources. Find prewritten NPCs from other games and incorporate them into yours.

5. The devil is in the details. Do you need to completely write up everything for your NPCs? Is it important to wirte up your NPC completely like you would a character? Do you need to know how many ranks he has in his knowledge local or his perform skill? If it won't affect the adventure, then don't do it. This will eliminate much of the accounting type feel.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Vicar In A Tutu said:

I think that D&D with all the options at high levels, indeed, preparation intensive, if you aren't willing to cut corners. And also to hasten to re-emphasize that the higher prep-time versions of stock NPCs in 3.5 are a hindrance in this vein. Crippled OGC also hinders getting computer support for third party books.

That said, when it comes to annecdotes about discouraging DMs, I find that locally at least, the situation is not one of a lack of willing DMs. Most announcements on the DC RPG list lately, and in the local game shop, are of DMs seeking players.

If you are having problems finding the prep time, I suggest one or more of the following:
1) Plot your games so as to use less high level NPCs, or classed or templated monsters. Stick to stock monsters. There are tons of creature books out there.
2) Be willing to take shortcuts when it comes to quickly making up NPCs. It's easy enough to estimate BAB and max skill levels, and make quick assumptions about magic and ability scores.
3) Prioritize creation tasks by what you think you will need. Don't make combat stats for NPCs you think will never enter combat; don't spend time finicking to the last point the skills of a creature that will only exist for a round of combat.
4) Seek out and use computer support. Campaign suite, PCGen, Etools... whichever one fits your style or budget best or supports most of what you are using. There are also a variety of freeware tools, like the 3.5 revision of NPCGen, TreasureGen, etc.
5) Spend less time on ENWorld. ;)

Last edited:

XCorvis

First Post
Along the lines of what others have said, you might use the pre-generated NPCs in the DMG.

Just look at the 12th level Wizard line, bump a stat or two, change the equipment slightly. The only really time-consuming thing you have to do is pick spells, and there are ways to speed that up too - like pick a theme (like ice, mindbending, or fear), and only worry about 3 spells from each level (1 attack, 1 defense and 1 utility, pick the others randomly).

I've noticed that I spend far more time planning the session's plot than I do working on the nuts and bolts stuff, but I'm running a low-level game right now.

Psion

Adventurer
Flyspeck23 said:
Oh, to the contrary, really. Rogues Gallery is a DM's friend :)

Well, yes, I considered amplifying to that effect. My point was more, really, if you need more time for prep, try doing that instead of getting into a 20 page argument on C&C or the latest paladin alignment thread.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases