Describe your homebrew in one sentence.

reason

First Post

Spirits of Rock and Sky : an examination of what happens to future society and religion when almost all resources and knowledge are inaccessible.

Artilect Earth: down and out in the 2300s, an era of wonders and technology in which posthumanity finds itself increasingly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

The City, the Shades: somewhere in a diaspora of trillions, one small group of posthumans and inhuman entities reflect all of the ages of human society through a lens of their own making.

The Enclave: a view of a land, familiar yet strange, where the boundary between the real and the unreal is porous indeed.

Reason
Principia Infecta

Khayman

First Post
The Chain: The characters are the last survivors of countless worlds (including our own), pressed into a chain-gang by intelligent worms that destroy worlds in the process of gaining slave labour, forced to 'tunnel' through a possibly-endless void.

Sounds weird, but it has psionic worms, trenchcoat wearing baddies, and lots of guns. And its still a medieval setting, at least in terms of available technology. I think I watch too much Farscape...

Here's the one I've been playing with to blow off steam:

Gaslight - Bloody Mary lives in your mirror, there are angels made of snow knocking on the 23rd story windows, top-hatted lizard men twirling their watch fobs in the parlor, and psychosorcerous drow can-can dancers from the Moulin Rogue getting soot on their stockings as they slither down the chimney with knives in their teeth: run, rabbit, run!

It's good fun.

Mark Causey

Explorer
Arcane Runes Press said:
Here's the one I've been playing with to blow off steam:

Gaslight - Bloody Mary lives in your mirror, there are angels made of snow knocking on the 23rd story windows, top-hatted lizard men twirling their watch fobs in the parlor, and psychosorcerous drow can-can dancers from the Moulin Rogue getting soot on their stockings as they slither down the chimney with knives in their teeth: run, rabbit, run!

It's good fun.

Publish it and I'll buy it for real money.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Mallus said:
"After a while you get used to the duelists, drug-addicts, little demons peeping in your windows, the demigods peeing against your house, all the paupers, pirates, foreigners and immortals, the barbarians, slavers, aristocrats, theocrats, democrats, and demagogues, the shitfy-eyed mystics and witches, the monsters in the military, the noise, not to mention the trolleys that are pulled by dinosaurs".

--a citizen speaking on life in CITY.

And Mallus is from Philidelphia ... hmmm ... go figure.

Dude, you should totally scan your maps and type up your campaign notes. You've sold me.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My last one, the Isle of Dragons, is a chivalric setting with Arthurian elements without actually being Arthurian, thanks to the fallout of a magical war where the goddess queen of the continental empire was finally slain hundreds of years ago by a combination of heroes and the surviving gods. Her death plunged the world into the dark ages and changed the geography of the continent. Now, with the two heroes who slew her being the primary gods of the new world order, civilization and order is slowly returning to the ruined kingdom, although the death of the High King has left a child on the throne, a dubious nobility pondering a return to a warlord state, and the dark influence of Faerie eroding the edges of the kingdom.

I'm now toying with the idea of creating a campaign setting loosely based on early 19th century North America, with the nations of the Old World having a loose continental foothold, while brave settlers and explorers penetrate a continent that has its own rich life that will inevitably be at odds with the newcomers. In deference to D&D, neither the native peoples nor the newcomers are all humans -- there are tribes of elves and goblin wolfriders in the New World, along with dwarven proto-industrial cities and gnomish explorers cutting a swath through the southern forests looking for legendary sites.

Templetroll

Explorer
A wonderfully inclusive generic world where the well-known facts are likely wrong and the small tidbits of useless information characters learn are often vital for survival.

Player description: "Paranoia is a survival trait." ;)

A procrastinators nightmare become reality
-------------------

An observation: "Campaign" and "Setting" are terms that often seem to get confused in discussions here.

OK, for realsies:

A golden age of exploration and discovery, where the cataclysm, fostering of magic from the ageless ones, and the birth of industry have brought once foriegn lands much closer to each other for the wonder, good, and quite possibly, the doom of all.

WmRAllen67

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
And Mallus is from Philidelphia ... hmmm ... go figure.

Certainly sounds like my neighborhood...

BiggusGeekus said:
Dude, you should totally scan your maps and type up your campaign notes. You've sold me.

I'll second that...

If I ever get a chance to get my act together, it would be:

"The Age of European reconnaissance, as magic is rediscovered and all those traveller's tales turn out to have some truth behind them... Or, what happens when you mix magic, ancient gods, cryptozoology, pirates and the spice trade..."

Remove ads