Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Jakar

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I agree that it is a very large city, and I was thinking more of a canal myself for Eyrdeyn, I just used the aqueducts as a handwaving example of the Romans performing similar projects

I agree with all that has been said above, but the front wall is nealy 40 miles long. That is a tad excessive IMO.

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Ah, OK, just making sure that it wasn't the case that I have yet again obfuscated the conflated datum through a severe overrecondition of the previously transpicuous palaver, as is my quotidian praxis.
Speaking of obfuscation...

Now I just need to think of a contribution. I had a great one that was wonderful, until I realized it directly contradicted some of the important stuff already said.

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
The majority of Eyros druids maybe. The Lizard folk druids seem to be generally good. Probably not ALL good, but closer to good/neutral than neutral/evil.
Yup, that's why the Kahl'Toss are directly working to eliminate the evil Bloodtaint from the land. They don't like the corruption, and they don't want to be corrupted. That doesn't necessarily require heavy good-alignment so much as eco-savvy though.

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Yup, that's why the Kahl'Toss are directly working to eliminate the evil Bloodtaint from the land. They don't like the corruption, and they don't want to be corrupted. That doesn't necessarily require heavy good-alignment so much as eco-savvy though.
Yeah, but DnD is generally of the idea that certain things are generally good, giving to charity, showing mercy, protecting the environment as is, etc... They don't all have to be paladins, but the overall balance is probably tilted towards the side of good.

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
Yeah, but DnD is generally of the idea that certain things are generally good, giving to charity, showing mercy, protecting the environment as is, etc... They don't all have to be paladins, but the overall balance is probably tilted towards the side of good.
I dunno, protecting the environment is pretty neutral in my book. There are very good ways to protect the environment (be friends with the animals and use happy-fluffy-bunny-magic to make the forest a cuddly place), and then there are very evil ways (destroy all civilisation before those bastards can touch the my forest!) with room for moderation in between.

Rystil Arden said:
Heck, its extensive enough that pretty soon it could be distributed as a honest-to-goodness campaign setting if it weren't saddled with the handicap of having people like me with my crazy dumb ideas around. Mouse, on the other hand, has worked on Green Ronin's excellent Hamunaptra Mythic Vistas setting, so maybe it would be better to have him organise the material for a website, if we decide to pursue that route (Plus he's been doing a good job of organising everything so far).

I've been giving some serious thought along these lines, though I was thinking more about making it into a PDF than a website.

I'd really like to do so. I'd love to see Eyros turned into an actual electronic product. Heck, if I have the time, I'd like to put it together into an actual saleable product. Not only do I think it's a great setting, but it would give everyone involved the recognition they deserve.

"If I have the time" is the operative phrase, however. I'm just wrapping up projects for the Blackmoor setting and Wizards of the Coast, with more WotC and Paizo stuff on the horizon, so I'd have to do this in my spare time between projects. Still, I'm really liking what we've got here. With sufficient help from you folks, we just might be able to make it happen.

Don't start planning anything yet. It'll be a while before I could even start such a process, and right now, I think we're all having fun adding additional material. If and when it becomes feasible, however, I will certainly let everyone know. (And if it turns out I just don't have the time, I'll ask you all to forgive me for even raising the possibility and then dashing it. But I wanted you to know what I'm thinking.)

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Jakar said:
I agree with all that has been said above, but the front wall is nealy 40 miles long. That is a tad excessive IMO.

Well, not to be contentious, but the Great Wall of China stretches for some 4,500 miles and was built over the course of about 1,500 years.

By contrast, Eyros and/or Eyrdeyn has been identified as being 3,000 years old or so, and even assuming some added length due to vertical variation, I’d still judge the total circumference of the outermost wall to be a mere 100 miles or so, something like 2% of the length of the Great Wall of China.

Granted, the Great Wall is the largest man-made structure on Earth, but why shouldn’t we have impressive structures in Eyros, too? We need something to make the PC’s jaws drop…
;-)

ironregime

P.S. Also on a related note, I would think that the upper slopes protected by the various long stretches of walls are much more sparsely built than the city proper. Things in that area are spread out more, and a lot of ground is covered with trenches, redoubts, parade grounds, etc.

Last edited:

Jakar

First Post
ironregime said:

Well, not to be contentious, but the Great Wall of China stretches for some 4,500 miles and was built over the course of about 1,500 years.

By contrast, Eyros and/or Eyrdeyn has been identified as being 3,000 years old or so, and even assuming some added length due to vertical variation, I’d still judge the total circumference of the outermost wall to be a mere 100 miles or so, something like 2% of the length of the Great Wall of China.

Granted, the Great Wall is the largest man-made structure on Earth, but why shouldn’t we have impressive structures in Eyros, too? We need something to make the PC’s jaws drop…
I think having 1/2 orcs in charge will do that. LoL

Mouseferatu said:
I'd really like to do so. I'd love to see Eyros turned into an actual electronic product. Heck, if I have the time, I'd like to put it together into an actual saleable product. Not only do I think it's a great setting, but it would give everyone involved the recognition they deserve.

For the record, by "saleable," I mean good enough to actually sell. I don't necessarily mean we'd charge for it. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare of trying to determine who was entitled to what percentage? ;)

Although...

Maybe we could sell it with all profits going to EN World?

(Again, I'm just thinking aloud here. Please don't hold me to any of this...)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I've been giving some serious thought along these lines, though I was thinking more about making it into a PDF than a website.

"If I have the time" is the operative phrase, however. I'm just wrapping up projects for the Blackmoor setting and Wizards of the Coast, with more WotC and Paizo stuff on the horizon, so I'd have to do this in my spare time between projects. Still, I'm really liking what we've got here. With sufficient help from you folks, we just might be able to make it happen.

Don't start planning anything yet. It'll be a while before I could even start such a process, and right now, I think we're all having fun adding additional material. If and when it becomes feasible, however, I will certainly let everyone know. (And if it turns out I just don't have the time, I'll ask you all to forgive me for even raising the possibility and then dashing it. But I wanted you to know what I'm thinking.)
Ooh, that would be really awesome. Really, really awesome. Heck, if it becomes saleable, please feel free to keep all the money. I was just doing this for fun, and after all the rejection letters from Wizards, I know that I for one would be happy just to have my name on the big list of collaborators of a legitimate product (plus it will get the feet in the door for anyone who didn't already have them). As a humble nobody, I for one will do what I can to help this dream become a reality (and with Ironregime having already created such a great map, we're already partway there).

~Rystil Arden, starstruck by the minute prospect of being published

Remove ads