How do i get my players roleplaying?

fimp

First Post
We started a few months ago playing D&D, im the DM and it goes well... except for the the fact they are hardly roleplaying! :(
Theyre goal is to complete the adventure, accomplish the mission. Not to roleplay!
How do i get them to? Just subtracting XP everytime they dont roleplay? But that aint fun, is it?

Eryx

First Post
Try this:

Work out with them a basic personality and history guideline for each character, and run a short (hour or so) just roleplay scene. Use the typical tavern idea. Just let them talk and be in character.

I can't give much advice past that, as I've never had the problem.

Good luck.

:)

Don21584

First Post
An idea which I got from here, and gave to my DM, which we use, is to reward good roleplaying. At the end of the night, we suggest to the DM good things we did roleplaying wise and he decides if we deserve a reward for certain actions we do.
The reward is colored stones that the PC's hold on to, and they can use the stones to buy things like Feats, Synergy Bonuses on skills, being able to reroll 1 die, etc. (but definitely making sure big things like Feats cost a LOT of stones).
It has definitely helped our group, not that it was bad in the first place, it's just better now.

Limper

First Post
NO its not fun.

WHY is it that DMs ALWAYS go for negative reinforcement? If they speak in character give em a bonus, reward the efforts you wish to have more of.

It may take a few sessions but they'll come around, players (unless VERY dense) respond to positive reinforcment quite well.

Crothian

First Post
Limper said:
NO its not fun.

WHY is it that DMs ALWAYS go for negative reinforcement? If they speak in character give em a bonus, reward the efforts you wish to have more of.

It may take a few sessions but they'll come around, players (unless VERY dense) respond to positive reinforcment quite well.

Your right. This habby is about having fun. Your not training your dog here. Show them that role playing is fun. Show them the rewards and positives of role playing. Do they like combat? Bring role playing into that. Many players who aren't good role players like to role play during combat. They get their fighjting and bloodlust and the role playing makes it more exciting

Skywalker

Adventurer
Promote the roleplaying aspects. Use colourful NPCs who they want to interact with. Give them roleplaying issues to deal with like infilitrating a Thieves Guild or gaining political flavour.

As a DM get to know the PCs and try to run stuff that suits the PC and so encourages the player.

Try "Belly of the Beast" by Atlas Games.

GrimJesta

First Post
Well, this is how I forced my PCs to RP in my Kingdoms of Kalamar game. It takes place in Geanavue, so they already knew that the LAW would come down on them if they became hack'n slash bunnies.

I started them out meeting at a friend of their respective families for the Festival of the Dragon, a major holiday on par with Mardi Gras. They had a few days to relax and RP before the festival. I kept describing to them the preparations of the feast, the positive energy in the air, and all of the colors, sounds and smells that assailed their senses. Soon they were amped for the Festival. The day of the festival many DMs would have some dark Mardi Gras type plot pop up. But I didnt. I let the RP partying and interacting with NPCs. They learned the fun way that not every NPC is out to get them. Instead they made many new friends and allies.

It was only a few days (in game. Out of game it was 3 sessions later) that the plot was introduced. But even then, they were so used to roleplaying that they preferred roleplaying through the adventure rather than hacking through it.

You have to subtly condition your PCs to know that not every NPC has some dark secret or is out to get them. In addition, highly descriptive settings sets the mood for them and they begin to envision the world around them. They will interact in a realistic way.

If your players dont care about RPing after doing this, and still sigh when you get descriptive and look for things to bash, you need to either get used to running dungeon crawls or get another group of players.

::shrugs::

-=grim=-

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Another solution is do a LOT of work. This is what I do. Your players will roleplay only as much as you allow them to. That is, if every innkeeper is pretty much the same, they'll respond in a pretty much similar way to every innkeeper. What you have to do, if you want your players to roleplay, is to create memorable, unique NPCs EVERYWHERE. With names, and backgrounds and personalities that you can bring to life in front of your players. With stories of their own for them to pursue, wether or not the party gets involved.

When they walk into an inn, who greets them? What do they look like? What do THEY want? Everybody wants something.

In my experience, granting or witholding rewards is futile and only pisses people off. As somebody said, you're not training dogs. You start roleplaying and they will follow suit. I guarantee it.

darkbard

Legend
barsoomcore's suggestions seem right on line here: it's easier to roleplay a character if the player has believable people to play off. barsoomcore: i'd like to see some of the preparation (example notes for an npc or the like) you do ahead of time to help improve my own weaknesses in this area.

GrimJesta: it sounds great that you managed three full sessions without combat, but what did the characters do during those sessions? was it just improv acting between the players and you, or did you have specific scenarios planned for the pcs? details?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases