Eve Online - anyone got reports?

driver8

First Post
You may have already, but Id check out ign's rpg vault and gamespys dedicated MMO page (if any) for Eve Online.

IIRC, it got pretty favorable reviews. But its premise of being reeeaaaalllly open ended and almost a life simulator makes it seem to maybe be just for the hardest of the hardcore.

And for me personally, I like my MMOs fantasy flavored.

DralonXitz

First Post
I played EVE for about a month. Its a great MMO, but it has some downsides. The main source of income in game is Mining. You can spend an entire day just mining, and It can get old Huge world though, I mean massive. Lots of ships, parts, items. Overall, pretty tight.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
If you want a game you can pretty much walk away from and let run, even not be logged in and still advance, it's a great game. They have a trial, I'll try and remember to find the link. But you get to play the game for 14 days for free. Two thumbs up from me :)

RiTz21

Explorer
Olive said:
http://www.eve-online.com/

I've never heard of this until today, but it looks fantastic! And my ancient machine will run it!

Not that I have the time or the money right now, but I was wondering what it was like?

I was part of the Beta testing for Eve Online - up front, I'll says it was an awsome game. So when they became Commercial, I joined in and played... and played .. and played... 3 month passed, and I was a millionnaire. Lots of people became rich at the start: We knew how to play the game, and how to find valuable minerals. Then the Company behind the game decided it was too easy to become rich: So they seriously cut down on the availability of rare ores... So it became a very hard thing to go MINE asteroids - I would spend more then 30+ minutes of game time, just GETTTING to rich asteroid fields.... Very annoying which were usually protected by a corporation which had decided it was "their" asteroid field. That did make for fun ,prospecting under the guns of Evil Corporation's battleships...

Eventually I realised I was spending too much time in EVE - with a wife & kid, not the best of ideas... So I sold my Character on EBAY (with it's 100M$ in cash reserves) and decided that those pesky MMORPG are a worst adiction then Nicotine !

RiTz21
P.S. I used Macros to let my ship MINE all night, while I was sleeping... I'd get up in the morning and have 300-500K in minerals just waiting to be sold... That was funny :)

RiTz21

Explorer
Olive said:
Um... for how much?

I was wondering if that would come up... at the time, 100M isk was a lot of money... (I checked ebay and it seems like peanuts now...) - I got 1KUSD for it.

RiTz21

der_kluge

Adventurer
I played in the beta, and in a free trial. My friend is totally addicted to this game, and in some last-ditch effort to have something in common with him again, I played in the free trial last month.

I decided that I just didn't care for this game any. Turns out, it's very lonely in space.

It is essentially a space combat game where people form corporations and fly around looking for things to do. You can make a lot of money mining, but yes, that's very boring. I decided I would make a trader. In order to trade, you need a big ship with lots of cargo holds, and you have to advance all these different skills to become more effective. The skills are based solely on time, but what is nice is that they continue to increase even if you're not in the game. Although, if it finishes at 3 am in the morning, it does nothing until you tell it which skill to work on next. So, you kind of have to manage the skills.

I found the trading system to be a bit contrived. It's exceedingly hard to make money doing this, at least significant amounts. You could pick up something like oxygen in one place, and then you might have to fly 15 sectors away to sell it. Which is odd, since you'd think everyone would need oxygen, but apparently not. The idea of trading contraband stuff appealed to me, but I ended up getting destroyed by someone in zero-space (every man for himself zone) by people camping a portal. You get from one "galaxy" to another via portals, or wormholes.

Yes, what others said about it being a game where you can kind of leave it on, and go do something else is true. It can take 20 minutes to fly from one spot to another, so if you're going through safe zones, you can just ignore the game during those transitions. Mining is also fairly hands off.

The download is free, and it costs about the same as other MMOGs, but ultimately I grew quite bored of it.

thatdarncat said:
If you want a game you can pretty much walk away from and let run, even not be logged in and still advance, it's a great game. They have a trial, I'll try and remember to find the link. But you get to play the game for 14 days for free. Two thumbs up from me :)

Does this mean you have the game? Does anyone here acutaly have, and still plays, Eve?

I'm thinking of giving it a try in the free 14-day trial, but if I can't find someone (preferably that I know) to 'show me the ropes' early on I doubt I'd have enough time in two weeks to get a good enough feel for the game. Thus I wouldn't want to bother at all.

This game, oddly enough, reminds me of Ultima Online. There are safe areas for those that are faint of heart (me, mostly), but you have the lawless areas where the PK's hang-out if you are feeling the need to have a Cruiser shot out from underneath you ;) You can play for years and never have to fire a shot if you so desire, or you could play the entire time behind the crosshairs of a fighting ship, praying on the helpless (ie: anyone not faster or better armed than you). And of course the screenshots are impressive.

Of course it's got one huge stumbling block, you can't free-fly the ship. You can (unless it's been changed recently) only fly places by choosing a destination (Object/ship/Waypoint/ect) and telling the auto pilot to fly there. At least in (the now defunct?) Earth & Beyond you had free-flight, even if it had many other issues.

So, anyone out there playing Eve and want to take a newbie under thier wing? I promice to keep the mooching of isk (money) to a minimum! Mostly... :p

Hatchling Dragoni

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Well I'm not playing now, but yes for a single player there isn't a whole lot of content. Although it is hands down the prettiest MMORPG game out there, EQ2 included. The spacescapes are really incredible. Most of the enjoyment from this game is political, corporate infighting and hostile takeovers :)

Remove ads