D20 Future: Hardback vs. SRD

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've worked up the gumption to start putting the basics together for a D20 future game and I have just one question: Is it worth it to buy the hardback when I can just print out the SRD?

reanjr

First Post
Frukathka said:
I've worked up the gumption to start putting the basics together for a D20 future game and I have just one question: Is it worth it to buy the hardback when I can just print out the SRD?

No.

Turanil

First Post
Well, if you have d20 Modern or Grim Tales, you may just use the SRD for d20 Future. Now, if you don't have any of those books yet, I would suggest getting one rather than just rely on the SRD, unless you plan to create a whole new set of houserules.

Edit: Aaargh, I hate when someone posts just when I am writing my own reply!

So I will add: the d20F SRD has pretty much 80% of the game mechanics, but absolutely no fluff. There are 4 or 5 classes that do not make it into the SRD.

kingpaul

First Post
Turanil said:
So I will add: the d20F SRD has pretty much 80% of the game mechanics, but absolutely no fluff. There are 4 or 5 classes that do not make it into the SRD.
The classes that dont' make it are: Bughunter, Dimension Ranger, Purifier, Concord Administrator, Star Law Officer and Nuclear Nomad. These are all in the campaign chapter, and that info also didn't make it. The exteneded US $ to Wealth DC table also didn't make it. The only other thing that I can think of that didn't make the MSRD are the creatures (the templates *did* make it): Aleerin, Dralasite, Fraal, Sesheyan, T'sa, Vrusk, Weren and Yazirian.

twistnack

Explorer
Frukathka said:

I'm happy that I got my hardcopy of d20 Future. The different mini-settings are one of my favorite parts of the book and they aren't in the SRD. It's also nice to have the art and fluff.

Frukathka said:
It really depends on how you're planning on doing your campaign. If you want to run one of the campaign models from the book, it's helpful but not necessary. If you're doing your own campaign -- or, might I humbly suggest, Dawning Star: Operation Quick Launch -- then the SRD's is good enough.

I will add that d20 Future is a very nice looking book, including the art. So, if that holds any relevance to you, I recommend it.

Aussiegamer

First Post
well if others can push their wheel barrows so can I. :uhoh:

first off, buying the book.

I would say NO. I hated the fact that the rules are divided into sections which on the whole don't work together every well. The Mecha rules are poor and have major problems with adding to them, like...

what happens if you have a pilot and copilot for the BONUS hp?

don't get me wrong taken individually they work and on the whole is worth it, but it you are after a system to allow everything to work together then don't buy it....

Those advanced classes you miss out on are not the great any way.

now for the wheel barrow.

I have used the SRD for modern, urban arcane, future, D&D 3.5 to come up with a free system which allows you to actually use all the elements togther as one system, did I mention it is free? :D

I have used ideas from Altnerity and traveller systems as well, with out using them exactly as they are, after all most ideas are BORROWED from another system any way ;)

The space craft can be built using a slot based system, and they can be designed as you like, not just a set of ships which you really can not change or design yourself like some systems.

Did I mention it is free? :heh:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases