Does any know if MS Excel spread sheets work with Star Office Suite?

Lunatic46

First Post
I am on a strict buget and have managed to Download Sun Microsystem's Star Office suite I like the price...FREE!!
Now before extracting that beast I would like to know if the Excel Spreadsheets are to a reasonable degree compatible. I have to believe that there are a few users of the Star Office out there.... After a long trouble-shooting session with McAffee's wiping out Outlook Express, I am approaching this experiment with more caution than poking a drunk bear with a stick!!!

Cub

gregweller

First Post
I downloaded and installed a copy a few months ago to test it, and I know that the word processor is compatible with Word 2000 stuff (at least the documents I tested it with). \

This is from the Star Office FAQ on Sun's web site:

Q. File compatibility is critical. Does the StarOffice 5.2 suite make it easy to
exchange files with Microsoft Office?

A.
Yes. The StarOffice suite includes an import/export feature that provides seamless
interoperability with Microsoft Office. You can easily open and edit existing Microsoft
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files in StarOffice suite. You can also save your StarOffice
documents, spreadsheets, and presentations as Microsoft Office files.

5. Q. Is StarOffice 5.2 software 100-percent compatible with Microsoft Office files?

A. It's impossible to achieve 100-percent compatibility without access to the source code,
which Microsoft does not make publicly available. However, the compatibility of the
StarOffice 5.2 suite with Microsoft Office is among the best in the industry.
Interoperability filters provide detailed information on formatting attributes for importing and
exporting files between Microsoft Office and StarOffice 5.2 software.

So a good guess would be that Excel would work with Star Office.

MythosaAkira

Explorer
gregweller said:
So a good guess would be that Excel would work with Star Office.

The one thing I would be concerned about is how well StarCalc (I think that's the Star Office spreadsheet) works with VBA, if at all. Some of the Excel spreadsheets use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) for macro-type functionality or just general extension of Excel's regular capabilities.

I would recommend just trying it. The worst that could (should) happen is that the file doesn't work with Star Office.

Remove ads