Creepy...

tombshroud

Explorer
JDRAKEH - it was the least I could do :)

I liked Dead Silence for the story line (it screams Ravenloft), and I really liked the atmosphere of the movie. Sometimes CGI can get in the way of a good story but I liked the way this movie handled it.

Keep up the good ideas everyone - I love all the creepiness = you all need help, but it won't be me giving it :)

The story line with the atropal was absolutely great btw.

AnonymousOne

First Post
I must admit that though I've never experienced it in a campaign. The idea behind the movie The Thing (John Carpenter, Antarctica, Alien that can take many shapes, etc) is a brilliant sideline for a party in a small town.

People begin to notice small changes in the townsfolk. The party comes to the town and grabs a room at the inn. During the night, one of the party hears a scream and moves to investigate. He finds the Cellar of the inn and the walls, tankards of ale the whole thing spattered in blood and gore ... no signs of a body. He immediately alerts the others. Body snatching ensues, and before you know it, the whole village has turned into a den of mutating beings. Be sure to include the scene where the severed head sprouts legs and walks away.

tombshroud

Explorer
AnonymousOne said:
I must admit that though I've never experienced it in a campaign. The idea behind the movie The Thing (John Carpenter, Antarctica, Alien that can take many shapes, etc) is a brilliant sideline for a party in a small town.

People begin to notice small changes in the townsfolk. The party comes to the town and grabs a room at the inn. During the night, one of the party hears a scream and moves to investigate. He finds the Cellar of the inn and the walls, tankards of ale the whole thing spattered in blood and gore ... no signs of a body. He immediately alerts the others. Body snatching ensues, and before you know it, the whole village has turned into a den of mutating beings. Be sure to include the scene where the severed head sprouts legs and walks away.

I've always wanted to do that! That's a great movie. I've always wanted to do an adventure based on "The Fog". Vengeful ghosts playing havoc on a small town. I've tried on several occasions to run a "Dawn of the Dead" adventure w/ mixed results.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I think that you've accidentally resold me on Deadlands: HoE :)

That movie was very good for what it was. It got slammed for not having enough CGI sequences in many circles but it seemed that the folks saying this had never seen an actual ghost story on film before. The traditional ghost story is a pretty unique bit of film when you think about it (there aren't many of them) and, I think, that many people tend to just lump them in with "monster movies" in general, when they're a totally different creature (no pun intended). In fact, the film "Ghost Story" itself is a great example of what I'm talking about.
The best is Haunting of Hill House. Very creepy.

The remake was just godsawful. :(

The Auld Grump

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
TheAuldGrump said:
The best is Haunting of Hill House.

Agreed! Super creepy!

The remake was just godsawful. :(

Most remakes of classic horror are terribly bad, I've found (e.g., the new Black Christmas, the new TCM franchise, the new The Hills Have Eyes, etc). :(

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
tombshroud said:
I've always wanted to do an adventure based on "The Fog".

That seems like a very workable idea. Re: The Thing, I've actually done that in AD&D2e with dopplegangers, though it requires players who are willing to sacrifice their PCs and play the role of a doppleganger once they have been assimilated. That being the case, it's really best left for one-shots.

CruelSummerLord

First Post
I've never actually run this scenario, but this is how it plays out in my head. Inspiration is derived from a fusion of the movies Eyes Wide Shut and Cube, as well as some of the more Cthulu-like moments from the classic G3 Module "Hall of the Fire Giant King."

As the party is passing through town, halfling thief stops to see some of her beggar friends-she helped them out back in the day, and they've helped her out a few times as well, being eyes and ears on the streets. She hears that some of her friends have gone missing. In fact, a number of people hae been mysteriously disappearing. Young and old, poor and even in one or two odd cases wealthy.

Halfling does some recon and detective work (attending wealthy parties using her hat of disguise), and finally puts together some clues that lead to a supposedly respectable noble family and their manor-it seems a lot of people go there for parties, but when she in disguise tried to attend, she was rebuffed. That and some other types of people have been seen by the beggars, but they've been too scared to say anything until they spoke to the halfling, who they know they can trust. These other people have been going to the house as well...and some of the nobles, when they get tipsy, have made some strange suggestions.

Halfling gets the rest of her friends, and they prepare to sneak onto the manor grounds to investigate...ready for any kind of trouble, just in case. Haflling briefly contemplated trying to infiltrate her way into the party herself, but then she realized that the nobles might get wise to that, as they're very selective about who comes to these things. Besides, halfling needs to be ready for trouble.

Sneaking into the manor, the halfling is shocked at what she finds-the nobles are involved in a twisted, hedonistic cult similar to Eyes Wide Shut with a lot of the freaky, Cthulu-like eddying lights, colors, and twisted wall scenery that Gygax first wrote about in the Temple of the Elder Elemental God in module G3. Look at EGG's descriptions there, and you'll get a good image of what it is.

The debauchery by itself is somewhat sickening, but it would be harmless.

That is...

...until the halfling sees what the nobles do to the people they kidnap. Suffice it to say that it doesn't bear describing.

And then comes the Cube inspiration. The kidnap victims are dumped into a dungeon maze riddled with traps and monsters that stalk the hapless prisoners, who are usually unable to fight back in any way. The hedonistic nobles watch the prisoners run around like rats in a maze, with nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, especially given the demons they've summoned to make the hunt all the more "fun." The prisoners are left to die like rats in a maze, while the nobles watch. Some of the prisoners are poor, given the aristocratic contempt for their weakness, others are nobles (not involved with the cult) that had previously insulted, snubbed, or otherwise offended the hedonists.

The halfling and her friends now have a choice to make-attack the hedonists, or try to rescue the prisoners, and risk letting the villains escape?

Well, it's not much of a choice, really.

The party ends up in a hellacious running fight through the maze, rescuing prisoners, avoiding traps, and fighting the monsters the nobles have rounded up, even as they deal with the cultists of Vecna, who in some aspects is a god of secret hedonism and decadence, who minister to the sick freaks that run the whole shebang. They confront the cultists, and capture some of them as the cultists try to escape.

The testimony from the victims, noble and poor alike, along with the evidence of the adventurers, is going to be enough to get the cultists impaled.

The intent here would be not so much to creep the players out, but to shock and horrify them.

I admit, I'm not so much a horror fan. To me, a lot of these monsters are bullies-but let's see how they fare against people who can actually fight back!

What if the ghosts of The Ring suddenly ended up with an angry Ghost Rider on their hands?

What if Michael Meyers suddenly realized he was dealing with Batman?

What if Leatherface and his clan suddenly realized they were dealing with an enraged Rambo, and the hunters had become the hunted?

I personally think you could make an awesome horror film where the roles are reversed-the Freddy Krueger/Jason Voorhees character is stalked, hunted and chased by something he can't fight back against, before he's driven crazy.

Not so tough now, are you?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If I may immodestly point to my Story Hour, the current adventure, the Abbey in the Woods, is all about creeping people out. It includes a defaced church (in both subtle and over the top ways), corrupted birds, black ivy choking the building, a crucifix missing its normal inhabitant, a very debased paladin, damned ghosts and more. My goal, throughout, was to make it more about horror than D&D, even though there are D&Disms throughout.

shilsen

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
That seems like a very workable idea. Re: The Thing, I've actually done that in AD&D2e with dopplegangers, though it requires players who are willing to sacrifice their PCs and play the role of a doppleganger once they have been assimilated. That being the case, it's really best left for one-shots.

That's something which I always keep in mind when it comes to horror in D&D. I prefer to run long-term campaigns with the same cast of characters, so permanently taking out PCs is a big no-no for me. That means there are certain horror scenarios which I just won't run in my regular campaign(s), but would be happy to use in a one-shot.

Vorput said:
Dear God Shilsen... I'm going to have nightmares... ::shudders::

And this is the kind of thing that lets me sleep soundly at night :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Sometimes it is fun to have something creepy and disturbing turn out to be not much at all.

In a recent Spycraft/Steampunk game I had the town awaken after a horrific thunderstorm to find a line of bones, skulls, long bones, ribs, all disjointed and strewn down the major road....

The graveyard for the church on the hill above the town had washed away, the stream carrying the bones and bits of coffin wood down the road that leads straight to the church. In this game it actually means something, but that does not have to be the case. (The next step will be the kirk itself falling into its own, much older, foundations....)

The Auld Grump, a polite *Bump* with content. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases