Creepy...

Rechan

Adventurer
Stormonu, I'm really curious if you actually read that full description aloud, or how you presented that to your players. Going in such detail about a room, I would think some players might stop paying attention.

A few things I've done or seen since posting in this thread originally:

Anthropomancy: In a lawless pirate city dedicated to an evil god, the PCs needed some clues on where to find evidence of a mounting army of undead. Locals recommended going to a diviner for help in finding stuff. The diviner was a little girl who lived on the edge of town. She was cute: blond pigtails, pink dress, cherubic smile... and solid black, "shark eyes." Also: turns out she'd been divining for this town for more than fifty years.

She told them that her divination method required a dying man's entrails; did they have anyone in their group they were willing to sacrifice? No... but one character snuck out at night, went to the slave market, bought the weediest, sickest, (and cheapest) little gnome or halfling he could find, and took him to the little girl. With her arms elbow deep in the gnome's innards as he croaked out his death rattle, she gave that character a number of actually quite useful tips.

This all happened between sessions. When it became obvious to the other players that what he had done... priceless.

The Eye Thief. I had a weird little fey creature that was invisible most of the time, but who could be seen in mirrors. He turned up one night while the PCs were sleeping in an inn... he had attacked a young NPC woman in her room and scooped out her eyes with a spoon. Of course; they couldn't see him, and couldn't figure out what had happened exactly, so they went uneasily back to bed. Then, it tried to attack one of the PCs in her room.

It actually was pretty easy to defeat, as it turned out, due to some really good luck, but they were pretty seriously creeped out by that little blighter.

To top it all off, one of the PCs made some kind of Knowledge roll, and figured that if the eyes were recovered from the little fey (who popped stolen eyes into his own sockets) and if a remove blindness spell were cast with the eyes back again, you'd actually have improved vision and the ability to see invisibility sometimes. One character volunteered to take the poor young woman out to get healed. When he comes back, his formerly brown eyes are now green...

Accidentally sold your soul. After defeating a few really creepy demon-dogs (no Thundarr jokes, please) who had a breath weapon of... yep, you guessed it... maggots, the bodies melted and coalesced into a demonic princess. She was trying to assume a humanoid form, but it had been so long since she'd seen one that she didn't quite get it right. Too many eyes... too many breasts... her... nether regions had long needle-like teeth and a long, barbed, slurping tongue that hung to her knees. She took one look at the female PCs and adjusted her form, becoming the most painfully beautiful woman imaginable. Then she healed the party for them, including the womanizing swashbuckler who was in negative hit points and thus had missed her introduction. He immediately leapt into action, promising to be at her service. She accepted their offer to become her emmissaries and disappeared.

I guess that's really more great roleplaying than creepiness, but the aghast looks and "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" dialogue was truly priceless. :)

Spareknikov

First Post
Skeleton behind the stone.

My brother ran an adventure once that he was always proud of. There was a locked door in a dungeon with a little girl's voice behind it begging for help. It was very well barricaded, and the PC's had trouble getting in. The little girl's voice eventually turned into a demon screaming "RELEASE MEEEEE!" It helped that the sound fx he used were from real people. He said his players were terrified as they were taken completely off guard.

It's funny you should say that, Nebulous, because I've done something similar as a DM.

The adventurers I was playing with in our last dungeon were venturing down a long, twisting corridor to find it was a dead end. The Dwarf player noticed the unusual brickwork of the wall there. It was as if someone had bricked up the rest of the corridor for some reason, and had left one brick out at about the height where an average human's face would be. One of the characters reluctantly put their hand in the hole (after an argument and rock scissors paper!).

I described the feeling to him of something toothed, like a saw and he correctly worked out that it was teeth. When he worked this out, something brushed his hand and I told him it felt like anothers hand and he quickly pulled his hand out.

All the characters at this point could hear a young lady (no more than 14) weakly ask 'help me?' At this point all the characters rushed to open up the corridor again and free her, only to find a lever and long dead skeleton with another tiny skeleton cradled in the skeletons abdomen remains.

There was no other clue and the adventurers were creeped out enough to tell me to go and see a doctor.

Great thread guys! Keep them coming, I love the ideas!

malcolypse

First Post
wow

this thread has kept me entertained for hours now.

you are all evil.

hobo. you are the most prolifically cruel, twisted, and ingenious monstrosity to walk the internet, and i supplicate myself before your terrible creativity with equal parts fervor and trepidation.

malcolypse

First Post
indeed.

also, i meant to post this up earlier, but was distracted by shiny baubles.

in a science fiction setting i intend to run someday: i plan to steal a bit of tech from william gibson. it's essentially an off switch for your consciousness. you take a little nap, and the programed personality takes over for a specific amount of time.

after many adventures, they would run into their employer's resident doctor out on the town, who will have doubtlessly patched them up many times, maybe gone on a date with a pc, and be well liked by all. except she wouldn't recognize them.

when they start explaining that they know her and how, she would explain to them that she always wanted to be a doctor, but couldn't stand the sight of blood, so they must be thinking of someone else. knowing my players, they will prove they know her by revealing intimate details about her life, likes, and dislikes, which will creep her out to the point that she refuses to talk to them any more.

come the next session, another of their bosses employees will flip out at the office and go missing. after they track him down, he will (now drunkenly) tell them that he just came too in a building filled with strangers who knew his name and kept acting like they new him until he managed to get out of there and made his way to the bar they found him in.

a few sessions after that, they are talking to the boss when someone bursts into his office and starts shooting up the place, screaming "what have you done to my mind, you butcher?" the boss is injured before they can take out the attacker, and is rushed to the hospital wing of his builing.

they get the call that he's awake and asking to talk to his rescuers a few hours later. when they arrive, he asks if they're the ones who saved his life. when they confirm it, he thanks them and introduces himself.

as some point later, one of the characters will have some traumatic event set off some kind of repressed memory of someone saying to them that after today, the nightmares will to away. (my fiance has terrible nightmares with fair regularity, so i'll probably target her with this one so that she'll be likely to think that maybe this was something beneficial that her character volunteered for, and may not tell the other players about it for a while.)

don't know what the ultimate payoff of this will be, it's still just an idea that pops in occasionally to say hi and ask when i'm running a science fiction game at this point. i just know the goal, and that's to make the pcs crazy trying to decide what's going on.

Sirarbee

First Post
Resurrecting hor Halloween 2010!

The thread that never dies....

A few years ago, I merged a couple of stories I found off the internet for an adventure. Basically, the party was at camp in the woods on a dark and stormy night. During a lightning flash, they see a tiny rag doll standing at the edge of their camp, staring at them with litttle dead black eyes. As they approached it, it turned and walked slowly further into the woods, turning to see if the party was following.

The party eventually came upon an old abandoned manor house, complete with evil treant guards they had to defeat as the storm raged. They then saw the doll walk into the house and followed it. I can't recall what all was inside the home, except that there was a possesed painting that had to be destroyed. I believe there were ghosts in the house of the family that had lived there that were murdered somehow by the painting's influence. Once the painting was exorcised, it exploded, taking out half the house. Finally, the party saw the doll, singed and tattered, go into a ruined bedroom, lay down on an old bed next to the remains of a long-dead, small female child, and go forever still.

They were veerrrryyy creeped out by the tiny, silent rag doll.

edit: If anyone recalls either the doll or the painting storyline and can provide a link to the originals, it's be much appreciated. I believe one or the other had one some online contest, but cannot find them (this was going on 8+ years ago tho.)

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The village is silent, not even birds sing in the trees. A white X has been crudely painted on the the marker at the road.

Within all the people, men, women, and children, have been turned to stone, dust gathering on their limbs. Some few have their books of common prayer open upon their laps, the page turned to prayers against diseases and against that which walks in darkness. An old woman faces a mirror, her stony hair combed and brushed, a faint smile on her lips, yet the brush and comb are on a table by the door, well away from the grasp of her hand. A mother cradles her infant, both now cold stone.

And each petrified villager bears the buboes and lesions of plague....

This one was fun in play - the petrification of the town was a redemptive act of sorts by a lich not far away. Too paranoid to leave his phylactery unguarded, but unwilling to let the people of 'his' town die the lich had no access to magics that would remove the disease, but he could turn them to stone until a cleric arrives in town.

The plague itself is magical - treat Remove Disease as Dispel Magic against a spell of Caster Level 18....

The Auld Grump

Jon_Dahl

First Post
Once my DM had an adventure where we had to free some slaves. We defeated the baddies and then he started to describe the slave pen's inhabitants:
"There are lot of women there, some of them are underage girls..."
At this point he drooled on his shirt. It was considerable amount of saliva right there.

He's about thirty and weights more than 150 kg.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Once my DM had an adventure where we had to free some slaves. We defeated the baddies and then he started to describe the slave pen's inhabitants:
"There are lot of women there, some of them are underage girls..."
At this point he drooled on his shirt. It was considerable amount of saliva right there.

He's about thirty and weights more than 150 kg.
Creepy players is a different thread. This thread is for scary/ creepy scenarios, not things that make you throw up in your mouth.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads