Chariots....whose used them and what do you think?

Chariots, What do you think of them?

• Yes I have and they Rock!

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Yes, but they kinda stink compared to mounted combat

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • No, but I want too!

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No, I have no desire too

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • There are chariots?

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Poll closed .

Old One

First Post
Chariots are great, except...

Although I haven't used them in my current campaign, I have used them several times in the past.

They can be cool, but they require some pretty specific conditions to be useful in combat...
  • Fairly level, open and firm ground (ie, few rocks, no steep inclines, no mud, not too many trees or brush)
  • Well-trained handlers
  • Opponents that aren't used to dealing with them

Historically, they were fairly ferocious during early ancient warfare (prior to 600 B.C.). They provided a height advantage, maneuverability and speed when compared to a lightly armored infantryman. As both infantry and cavalry improved, however, the chariot fell out of favor everywhere but China.

Both Alexander's Macedonian Phalanx and the Roman legions had little trouble dealing with the war chariots used by the Persians and other Middle Eastern powers.

I think they can be cool to use for effect (especially if you slap some scythed wheels on them), but they will never match cavalry for flexibility.

My two coppers...

Old One

Vaxalon

First Post
Basically chariots are superior to cavalry without the stirrup, but inferior to cavalry WITH the stirrup.

If you look at the places where they were used, the land is generally flat, smooth, and dry, except one place. Ireland.

Ireland is hilly, rocky, and wet.

Why did chariots get used there?

Vaxalon said:
Basically chariots are superior to cavalry without the stirrup, but inferior to cavalry WITH the stirrup.

If you look at the places where they were used, the land is generally flat, smooth, and dry, except one place. Ireland.

Ireland is hilly, rocky, and wet.

Why did chariots get used there?

Well, this is just a guess on my part--maybe someone with more historical knowledge can either back me up or shoot me down. But I'd imagine it's because of the long years of the Roman incursions on the British Isles.

The Romans made substantial use of chariots at various points in their military development, and they probably brought them with them to Ireland and Britain--until they realized they weren't nearly as effective due to the terrain. (The Romans had military tactics and techniques that allowed them to pretty much bowl over anyone who stood in their way; why would they have thought to do things differently here?)

I don't know if the Irish made use of chariots after the Romans departed, but if so, it was probably just because they saw the Romans using them and realized that--in select parts of the isle--they were effective.

Maerdwyn

First Post
The Romans never got to Ireland. They might have if they'd been able to fully subdue Britain, but other concerns, and other barbarians, prevented them from getting there.

Celts in Ireland, Britain, and the mainland were using chariots before the Romans made their major into Gaul, and there is pretty good evidence suggesting the Romans borrowed the idea of using chariots in war from the Celts. At the least, it was nit the other way around

The use of Chariots in Ireland wasn't universal - some of the land just doesn't allow them to be effective. For tribes in the more forgiving regions, it came down to the lack of a stirrup, as stated by Vaxalon: Chariots - even on sub-optimal terrain - gave them and advantage over tribes using non-stirrupped cavalry.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
To answer the poll:

They rock IMC because there aren't any stirrups, and I use a bunch of chariot feats, as well as an NPC Class (Charioteer) whose members handle most of the driving duties for PCs and others in the campaign's large intertribal battles.

Maerdwyn said:
The Romans never got to Ireland. They might have if they'd been able to fully subdue Britain, but other concerns, and other barbarians, prevented them from getting there.

Really? I knew the Romans never had any luck in fully subduing Britain, but I thought they had reached Ireland, even if they didn't have much luck there either.

Are you sure? I mean, I'll admit that I could be wrong on this, but I could have sworn there was some Roman activity in Ireland...

Oh, well. Guess I should start paying for the History channel again... ;)

I love chariot fighters for style, but they are just way lame in 3e. I don't think the rules reflect a chariots benefits over a horseman. The only cool thing would be getting a Ride-By-Attack type thing and having another friend in the chariot with you with a bow. Of course, since thats only usefull in an open area i'd take Cleave.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases