Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil [CA]

Veldrane

First Post
I'm currently playing a Conjurer that will, next level, acquire his first level in the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil PrC [Complete Arcane].
I was under the impression that the Initiate could envelop himself with his Warding and blast or affect enemies outside, but..
...reading the Warding ability, under Personal "the warding provides concealment to the initiate, but he can see out with no hindrance"
Ok, so it seems you have Line of Sight
Now, reading more carefully the Veils, I see that they block one type of attack at a time, but nowhere in any description it states that the attacks are blocked only from outside the veil.
So, when I'm using the Red Veil (blocks magical missiles or Rays, like Melf's or Disintegrate) or the Indigo Veil (blocks all Spells and Spell Like Abilities), does the Initiate too is prevented from using that type of attacks to target creatures outside the Veil...?
Thanks in advance

Veldrane

cmanos

First Post
I just checed my copy ot the Initiate as well as Prismatic Wall and Prismatic Sphere. None of them specify whether one inside the protection can pass that kind of attack outward. All of them seem to inticate any attack of the type warded against cannot pass through the protection. Unless there is something in the Errata (that I haven't checked yet), it would seem an Initiate on the inside of a personal warding cannot pass the type of attack to outside the warding.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yeah it does appear that the Rules As Written block your own spells as well as those from outside.

I think it would be a fair and balanced house rule to allow the Initiate to cast spells through their own shield safely, if you are looking for an opinion on that. If the shield doesn't block your vision in the way that it blocks those outside, it seems logical that it can work differently for the spells you cast.

noeuphoria

First Post
Maybe not, since then the initiate can throw up the violet veil (i.e. the veil of destroying everything) and then cast with impunity. It'd be like having an antimagic aura that didn't affect you.

Joker

First Post
noeuphoria said:
Maybe not, since then the initiate can throw up the violet veil (i.e. the veil of destroying everything) and then cast with impunity. It'd be like having an antimagic aura that didn't affect you.

For three crappy feats and nine levels I'll give it to 'em ;).

glass

(he, him)
I don't have CArc, but would I be right in thinking that the character chooses which veil he or she is protected by at any given time? In that case, I say it behooves the character to choose a veil that will inhibit their enemies more than them.

glass.

noeuphoria

First Post
A 7th level initiate can throw up a warding 4/day. The warding can be personal, or include all squares adjascent to the initiate, or it can be an immobile wall. If the initiate wanted to change a warding that was centered on her, she would first have to drop her first one (a standard action) and then throw up a new one (immediate action), which would cost another use for the day. The initiate can't just change the colors in the warding at will. That being said, I would guess the ultimate authority on whether an initiate's warding affects her with her prohibitions is up to the DM. I know mine wouldn't allow it, it just seems too good to be able to cast spells while being basically immune to them.

Nail

First Post
Too good for the cost? I'm not so sure.

The RAW, though, is clear enough. If it's not said, it ain't so. Confirmation by ommission. :)

noeuphoria

First Post
But what isn't said? The class neither confirms nor denies if a caster can cast out of the warding. The only thing left to go by is the text reading "...stops spells and spell-like abilites" Since they didn't mention that the caster was immune, and since this would be a huge feature of the class if true, I think they simply left it to mean all spells.

Remove ads