Hastur (of the Cthulhu Mythos)

What sort of magic should Hastur have?

• Arcane spells (w/spellcaster classes).

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Arcane spell-like abilities (or Warlock).

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Divine spells (w/spellcaster classes).

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Divine spell-like abilities (in addition to Divine Rank-granted ones).

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Psionics (w/manifester classes).

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Psi-like abilities.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Something else (please post what).

Votes: 0 0.0%

sukael

First Post
Those of you familiar with, say, Call of Cthulhu d20 or the original Cthulhu Mythos stories may know of Hastur--the Great Old One who lives in lost Carcosa, and his avatar the King Yellow.

I'm working on a homebrew semi-conversion of Hastur from CoC to D&D 3.5, complete with divine ranks and full stats, and I have a question--what sort of magic should I give him? Arcane spellcaster classes? Divine? Spell-like abilities? Psionics? Any suggestions, and, more preferrably, reasoning behind them would he quite appreciated.

"We shall worship mighty Hastur
For no-one gets them running faster
When we chant 'Hastur Hastur Hastur'
And that's good enough for m-HURK!"

EDIT: Rather than make a whole new thread (again), I'm renaming this one as I continue with Hastur.

Last edited:

sukael

First Post
Quoted from Sigurd, in the original thread:

"H's power is complicated by his great age and vast power.

Arcane : 10%
He may well have learned arcane magic on other planets in other realms he found useful and will teach.

Psionic & Hyper science : 40%
When he speaks of th old ones lovecraft makes mention of strange machines with rods and wheels. This might be a psychic amplifier. Cthuloid critters are so wierd that this is always a good option. They seem to do a lot by will. H is a BIG baddie but do not think he is just goo. Insane victems have their intellect devoured or crumbled by a force that is too large\alien to withstand -- I think H would happily devour several Ilthoid hive-mind's without blinking.

Divine : 50%
Perhaps onlyl because this is the most versatile magic in D&D. Why is he magic - because he is so magic. Don't explain just call it divine and go.

Other : Far Realms

The latest (Dragon 330) has a section on the 'Far Realm'. IMHO it is a blatent Cthulu rip off now that they have let their license with chaosium lapse. Check out the rules for this if you want another source.

Sigurd
Hope that helps."

sukael

First Post
Here's the first few lines of my in-progress stat block:

Hastur, the Unspeakable, He Who is Not to be Named
Colossal Aberration
Divine Rank: 5 (Demigod)
Hit Dice: 20d8+? (cleric) plus 10d8+? (psion) plus 10d4+? (sorcerer) plus 10d4+? (cerebremancer)

(Please note, I'm working up the King in Yellow as an avatar--this is the honkin' big Cthulhu-y version of H.)

Does this appropriation of classes look good? Too powerful? As he's neither a full god nor an outsider, I'm not giving him the 20 bonus HD that most gods have. (The 10 levels of cerebremancer more than makes up for that, I think.)

A note--I certainly see him better as an aberration than an outsider. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Aiming at about CR 37-40--do I seem to be giving him too much power?

EDIT: grr... wrote 'demigod' instead of 'full god'

Last edited:

Sigurd

First Post
He shares with gods a really important element though. You can 'kill' him and he reforms in the space where he comes.

I think a special feature

Timelessness

H inhabits a space outside of time. He doesn't benefit from previous encounters but neither does he suffer. This adds to the abstractness of his motives. He has certainly been beaten and died before but so too has he succeeded and been born.

Remove ads