d20 Runequest

kobold

First Post
I'd like to hear from fans of the Glorantha setting and their thoughts on a D20 conversion. I know the new Hero Wars rules are d20 (sort of) but after giving the rules a try we came to the conclusion that they don't fit our group very well. Great set of rules I think just not for my group. Anyway the setting is one of the all time greats and the dependence on myth and comunity and religion really make for some great campaign material role or roll playing. My main dilema is the fact that Glorantha is a highly magic world everyone knows some magic. How then does this affect the D&D rules? Since a major social dynamic is in climbing the cult ladder, which requires meeting certain requirements at each rung we have the perfect situation for Prestige Classes. Any thoughts or comments would be great.
Thanks

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
For the "everyone knows some magic" dilemma how about madating that everyone start out with 1/2 level in a casting class and 1/2 in the class they wanted to take?

kengar

First Post
Wow, what an idea!

I used to dream of "making it" in the gaming world by writing "GURPS: Glorantha". Fortunately, I sobered up ;).

Seriously, though, I am a HUGE RQ fan from Chaosium days (pre-Avalon Hill) and loved the game. I wonder how it would work in d20, though. The magic rules; including spells, items, etc. are very different and the bronze v. iron weapons means extensive use of item breakage rules. NTM changes in races, etc. (Orcs v. Trolls, elves, dwarves, etc.). Some folks might not like a D&D world where an Elder Red Wyrm is like a kobold to the weakest "True" dragon.

I also am not sure how Issaries, Inc. & Chaosium & Avalon Hill have sorted out who owns RQ. Issaries owns Glorantha, IIRC. But I don't know who has the rights to the game system & RQ name at this stage.

The question is; do you want "d20 Runequest" or "Glorantha CS" for D&D? Both could be cool, but two VERY different projects.

mmadsen

First Post
Great set of rules I think just not for my group.

Could you expand on that? What did your group like and dislike about the rules?

My main dilema is the fact that Glorantha is a highly magic world everyone knows some magic.

Just make Sorcerer (or Cleric) available with no multiclassing penalty, and change expectations to allow anyone and everyone to have a few levels. If you eliminate the Arcane Casting Failure, you'll have plenty of multiclassed Fighter/Sorcerers.

Since a major social dynamic is in climbing the cult ladder, which requires meeting certain requirements at each rung we have the perfect situation for Prestige Classes.

Just remember that not every title or group membership requires the game mechanic of a prestige class. Some make sense; some don't.

Henrix

Explorer
d20 Glorantha has been on my mind many times, as well.

It's a great setting, and much of the old RuneQuest stuff should be easy to convert.

Of course, this would invoke the wrath of Issaries upon us, official word is that "no d20 version of Glorantha has, or will, be contemplated". (Or words to that effect, at least.)

kengar

First Post
One side note I didn't realize when I posted earlier. Hasbro owns WOTC and Avalon Hill, so the Runequest rules are available for d20 development AFAIK, but the Issaries/Glorantha issue is much stickier.

Henrix

Explorer
I don't think Avalon Hill has the rights to the RQ system. RQ is Basic RolePlaying, which is owned by Chaosium.

I don't know if it finally was printed, but last I heard AH intended to release a non-BRP RQ that wasn't set in Glorantha. Yeah, go figure that out. ;)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I've also thought that a d20 version of Glorantha would be cool. It's too bad Issaries is so dead-set against it; guess they don't wanna make money.

But...

Runequest was one of the early RPGs out there that provided a real alternative to D&D, and an interesting one at that. It seemed like it was one of the few games where, when they said that the system and the setting went hand-in-hand, they weren't kidding. RQ's system was what is now known as Chaosium's BRP system, as far as I know. I never saw an early version of RQ; I have a much later, deluxe edition that Avalon Hill released. From what I recall, fans of the original RQ decried that version for being to generic and too complex. I don't know about that, but I do know it's an interesting game. I still don't like the BRP system, but I'd love to see them re-release the original version, just to see what it was like.

I guess what my point is, is this: RQ, and thus Glorantha, are one of the very few things that I think would be better off non-d20.

But d20 Glorantha could give them the cash to do more with RQ...

JoeGKushner

First Post
I know that the background for the new Glorantha is terrific. Some of the best writing in gaming but I hate that new system and I hate the format they were using when I was buying their books. No d20 is fine because honestly, I have enough games that I purchase and don't feel the need to support publishers who don't support the games I play. Pretty simple.

Regdar

First Post
Bah, Runequest

Regdar uses some of Runequest in Regdar's game world, but finds that the trouble to convert rules isn't worth the effort. Regdar suggests just port the world and if you must the races.

Use the source material. The gods of Gloranthia is a great supplement for building the pantheon.

Regdar only has a problem with the Dragonnewts, they don't port well.

Remove ads