Tournament of Champions Rules & OOC Discussion

Gansk

Explorer
Welcome to the Tournament of Champions! (CR 7 edition)

The goal of this tournament is to determine the greatest monster among the outside alignments for monsters with a CR of 6 or less (true neutral will not participate). All the combats in the tournament will take place on a neutral site, the Outland Arena. The winner's name will be enshrined in the Battle of All Alignments Hall of Fame.

Tournament Rules:

The tournament will be a three round, single elimination tournament. The quarterfinal round will always be seeded as follows:

Lawful Good vs. Chaotic Evil
Neutral Good vs. Neutral Evil
Chaotic Good vs. Lawful Evil
Lawful Neutral vs. Chaotic Neutral

In the semi-final round, each of the winning alignments will fight the alignment most diametrically opposed to them. The winners of the semi-final round will face off in the final round for the title of CR 6 Champion!

Champion Selection:

Each player will select a champion to represent their alignment, plus two alternate champions. The champions must have fought for their alignment in the main Battle of All Alignments. A player can either search through their arena thread or they can request a list of monsters and their sources from me and I will e-mail it. The champions will have the same attributes and equipment that they had in the main battle.

If a current player wants to participate in the Tournament of Champions, he needs to e-mail me the following information by Sunday, October 29th:

The monster names of the champion, alternate #1 & alternate #2
The personal names or nicknames of the monsters - use the same name that it had in the main battle, if any.
Optional - Fun facts and information I can use when announcing each monster.
The equipment in each hand of each monster at the beginning of combat, if any.
Any spells, item activations, or actions taken by each monster before combat, if any.

If someone does not want to participate or doesn't have time to make the October 29th deadline, they can state it in this thread and I will open the slot in the Sign Up Sheet thread. Any open slots in the Sign Up Sheet thread will be available to the public at large until Sunday, October 29th. After that I will play any alignments with open slots. My champion selections will be based on 4 categories of objective, predetermined criteria, so I will not use any information sent to me by other players to bias my choices.

Arena Combat:

The choices for each alignment champion will remain secret until they are announced in the arena. The alignment with the least potential choices for champion will select the order in which combats will be conducted in each round (in case of a tie, the tying alignments will select in random order).

The participants of each combat will start in the arena at one of the following pre-selected positions (the elevation must be zero):

95N0E
95N60E
95N115E
60N0E
60N115E
20N0E
20N60E
20N115E

Minor adjustments will be made to the starting position of monsters larger than medium size, so no monster will need to squeeze or move into the arena. The loser of the initiative roll (see below) will decide the initial starting positions of both combatants.

The announcement of the monsters will take exactly one minute, so any spells or effects that were started before combat will have their durations reduced by one minute.

In each combat, initiative rolls will decide which combatant goes first in the first round. The opponent who does not go first in the first round will be considered to be flatfooted in that round unless it has a special ability that prevents it from being flatfooted.

If the combat results in a draw, the alternates are announced and the combat starts over again. The winning alternate champion will remain in the tournament for future rounds, unless it loses or draws. If alternate #2 is in the tournament, I may ask for an alternate #3 to be e-mailed to me. Alignments that have run out of potential choices for alternates can recycle a previous combatant back into the tournament.

After each round takes place, the winning monsters will have one week to completely heal and recuperate abilities before starting the next round.

All of the other rules that are listed for the main Battle of All Alignments are in effect for the Tournament of Champions.

Last edited:

Gansk

Explorer
Evilhalfling said:
Can we just put them in spoiler tags?
so that people can poke around after the tournament?
[SBLOCK], [/SBLOCK}

People are going to know what you picked when the monster shows up in the arena, right?

Gansk

Explorer
Just a reminder - when you submit your monsters to represent you and the monsters have equipment, please specify what those monsters have in each hand. That goes for both your first choice and your alternates. I would like you to commit to missile or melee weapons without knowing what you might face beforehand.

Gansk

Explorer
The alignment with fewer potential candidates chooses who goes first. If there is a tie, then a random roll will give one of the alignments the choice to go first or not. Remember that both combatants will already be inside the arena and will be flatfooted in the first round until they act.

In general, the good alignments will be choosing who will go first vs. the evil alignments. After that it is anybody's guess.

Another reminder - the equipment is still the standard equipment from the text. We did not adopt the rule that lets everybody buy whatever they want. I just want to know what will be in the combatant's hand on the first round, after that you can switch between missile and melee weapons as often as you want during the fight.

Gansk

Explorer
OK, we have six good submissions so far and we will wait a week to recruit one or two more players to complete the brackets.

I just need clarifications on equipment in hand from Greybar, ugulu, and Evilhalfling. Two of you just need to give me the info on your alternates, as you gave me the info on your main champion.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Aw man you mean we did'nt get all our paper work in order? :p
I ment to, its around here somewhere....

*RW
" Lisa, when we redid the furniture did you see a piece of paper with gaming stuff scribbled on it? "
"try your desk"

I will never find it - what did you need beyond equipment from the book?

Remove ads