Mage to DnD conversion

owlish

First Post
Hello out there.I wish to ask if somebody can tell me how to convert (or create a new class) of a Mage the Ascension character to DnD.How would his powers work?Any ideas?
(They gonna be the chosen of the dragons of magic..totally high powered and also totally NPCs so i dont mind them being unbalanced)
Thanks in advance.

Storyteller01

First Post
Closest I can think of is a magic user in an OGL book about the Aztec culture. Gained abilities that removed the veil. Besides casting as a sorcerer w/o the the spells known limitation (cast any spell spontaneously, as long as they are of appropriate level), they gained fate twisting and reality altering special abilites. I loanded the book out, or else I'd have more info.

I believe the book is by avalnche press.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
Closest I can think of is a magic user in an OGL book about the Aztec culture. Gained abilities that removed the veil. Besides casting as a sorcerer w/o the the spells known limitation (cast any spell spontaneously, as long as they are of appropriate level), they gained fate twisting and reality altering special abilites. I loanded the book out, or else I'd have more info.

I believe the book is by avalnche press.
Aztecs - Empire of the Dying Sun (by Avalanche Press)

Yep. I actually bought that. :eek:

Um...it was cheap...really cheap...

Anyway, the class is called Nagual. Thanks, you just gave me cause to even acknowledge its existence on the shelf since its purchase. :\

Hey, isn't there a Conversions forum somewhere here?

Oh, Mage -> D&D. Hm, Mage is modern-day though isn't it, well Mage the Ascension at any rate.

So, wouldn't d20 Modern/Urban Arcana and family be a more logical direction to start looking?

edit --- But no, you want to convert a character. OK. I get it now. :) Doh. Well, for what it's worth, I'd suggest something like a Psion (?)

edit again --- no no wait. What Tradition is the character? Now, that's a question worth asking.

Last edited:

owlish

First Post
Its not about a single character but about altering the whole consept of Mage(not just the ascention) to DnD terms but w/o losing any power...i thought somwthing like dividing the spells and psion spells and powers, respectively to the appropriate sphere and then making each dot of a sphere count as 2 "spell" levels so a character with 2 dots in forces would be able to cast 4th level like manifestations of magic.Its kinda complicated so im trying to find something more playable.thanks for the maya input ill look into it

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's a sample adaptation of the coincidental magic idea. It was part of a larger project I worked on called "arcane taboos."
Reduced casting refers to those conditions under which you function as a spellcaster 2 levels lower (or half your level, whichever is the greater penalty). Your spells per day, your caster level, the maximum spell level you can cast – all these are reduced as if you were a wizard 2 levels lower than you actually are.
Prohibited Casting refers to those conditions under which you must make a (DC 20+spell level+caster level) Will save to cast spells. You are fatigued after attempting such spellcasting, whether or not the spell is successfully cast.

Coincidence Mage
Your magic depends upon you remaining unobserved. The laws of reality are shaped by a collective consciousness. The presence of others seeing your magic calls upon the collective disbelief or condemnation of such things by the greater community. Only your great strength of will overcomes the mundane shroud that covers humanity’s eyes to the truth of magic that surrounds them.
Coincidence or Magic?: You gain the coincidental magic feat (see sidebar below).
Reduced casting: When observed by a small group (1-10) of people who disbelieve in or condemn magic, when a wizard sees through your coincidence magic, and whenever you cast a spell with an obvious effect that would be witnessed by someone who doubts or condemns magic.
Prohibited casting: When in a large crowd and when casting against priests.
Special: Casting "wiz-bang" types spells in plain view is hazardous for your reputation, and possibly your life. For every 6 spell levels worth of "loud" magic you cast in plain view in a populous area, you suffer a -2 penalty to all Cha-based checks in that community. Likewise, base reaction toward you in that community decreases by one step (e.g. indifferent to unfriendly). Should reaction toward you shift to hostile, a lynch mob forms to burn you for witchcraft, heresy, consorting with dark powers, atheism, etc.

COINCIDENTAL MAGIC [Metamagic] [Trained Only]
In order to remain hidden, you have learned to disguise your magic with coincidence.
Benefit: When you cast a coincidental spell, those who observe the effects of the spell assume it is
simply extraordinary coincidence, but not magic. When describing the coincidence you seek to emulate, the GM will determine whether it is likely (DC 30), unlikely (DC 20), or far-fetched (DC 10). Obviously not every spell can be couched as coincidence, and the GM will have to arbitrate. A wizard observing the coincidence can attempt a Spellcraft check to see it for what it really is – magic! When casting the spell, you may decide to delay the coincidence for up to 5 rounds after the time you cast. A coincidental spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.
Special: Unless you take other feats to disguise your spellcasting (e.g. Still Spell, Silent Spell), you must perform this feat hidden or otherwise out of sight. If others realize you are casting a spell, they connect the coincidence that results to your waving your hands, gesticulating wildly, and pulling out strange materials.

jefgorbach

First Post
Interesting, however you can ignore Paradox and the resulting need to conceal spell-casting since magic/fantasy creatures are openly accpeted in the typical DND world. (Besides Paradox/etc only existed with MtA/WOD after spells were openly used enmass at the Battle of ___ (dont have books handy)).

Therefore you really only need worry about converting the magic system....perhaps Rotes equating to standard spells whereas raw Sphere use is akin to Epic Spells ???

Storyteller01

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Aztecs - Empire of the Dying Sun (by Avalanche Press)

Yep. I actually bought that. :eek:

Um...it was cheap...really cheap...

Anyway, the class is called Nagual. Thanks, you just gave me cause to even acknowledge its existence on the shelf since its purchase. :\

We had a character coming from the aztec culture (Rainbow Servant PrC). It came in handy. ;)

DreamChaser

Explorer
owlish said:
Its not about a single character but about altering the whole consept of Mage(not just the ascention) to DnD terms but w/o losing any power...

This is simply not possible. Even in mixed World of Darkness campaigns, Mage was generally the one game not permitted as they are more powerful than other other system. If the were converted carte blanche into D&D it would need to be in a system like Ars Magica where everyone plays one along with their lesser "helpers" (i.e. every other class).

The basic concept could be converted but it would need to be powered down to fit the D20 balance.

DC

Remove ads