Another Immortals Handbook thread

What do you wish from the Immortals Handbook?

• I want to see rules for playing Immortals

Votes: 63 73.3%
  • I want to see more Epic Monsters

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • I want to see Artifacts and epic Magic Items

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I want to see truly Epic Spells and Immortal Magic

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • I want Immortal Adventures and Campaigns Ideas

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • I want to see a Pantheon (or two) detailed

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I want to see something else (post below)

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I don't like Epic/Immortal gaming

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Poll closed .

S'mon

Legend
BTW C is the World Flayer partly based off my Intruder? It seems similar in some respects. I recall there was the brain creature in the Immortals Set D&D rules that also had similarities.

Hey Anabstercorian mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
My socially inept MIT friends and I stayed up for 24 hours and delved in to the pits of madness as we found ourselves alternatively fascinated and disgusted by the spectacle that is the Immortal Bestiary Volume 1. We got on to the topic of the Neutronium Golem, and Gravity, and 'why you don't understand gravity'.

I was looking for ages on the net trying to find relevant sources. Its easy finding source material on nukes (which I was familiar with anyway), but less so gravity (which I am relatively unfamiliar with).

Anabstercorian said:
I quote: "All I'm saying is that your super-massive neutronium golem isn't really all that massive. I've seen bigger. It's only about a quadrillionth the mass of the sun. What a little bitch! I've seen small children take on neutronium golems bigger than yours!"

:D

Anabstercorian said:
Anyway, once I stopped paying attention to his demoralizing rambling, we noted how the golem worked with gravity, and it's gravitational field.

Basically, as I'm sure yo'ure well aware, the gravitational field of the golem can be accurately approximated by the equation F = G*M/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the golem (4.5 x 10 ^ 15 Kilograms), and r is the distance from the golem in meters, the gravitational intensity can be plotted as such:

10000g's: ~5.5m from golem
1000g's: ~17.5m from golem
100g's: ~55m from golem
10g's: ~173.2m from golem
1g: ~548m from golem
0.1g: ~1732.5m from golem

Very, very interesting. I have already worked out 2 new aspects of the gravitation field.

Are there any sites on the internet dealing with the effects of high gravity? Or are you guys at MIT up for a bunch of questions? :)

Anabstercorian said:
The practical upshot of all this is that the 140 mile radius for the gravitational crush is, while an understandable abstraction, not so good.

In lieu of appropriate material, I had to make an arbitrary decision.

S'mon said:

Hey S'mon! :)

S'mon said:
- been looking through my copy, very nice!

Glad you like it. :)

S'mon said:
I like your treatment of my mercury golem

Thanks! I'm not totally happy with the Sentinels (of the four multi-faceted golems), initially they were meant to be more like your Steel Colossi.

S'mon said:
(esp the reference to guarding relics of long-dead empires ) ,

He he! :)

S'mon said:
although making it vulnerable to acid makes it a bit easier than IMC

True, but thinking about it, the mercury would be vulnerable to acid. I also added blood poisoning which the original didn't have. ;)

S'mon said:
Looking forward to seeing the Krangar (I noticed you included Summon Krangar spell) and Prismatic Puddings (Chaos Pudding) in the next iteration.

These new Krangar are totally brilliant, wait 'til you see. I'm tying the Prismatic Pudding into the Brood/Limbo, it'll also have a few new tricks.

S'mon said:
BTW C is the World Flayer partly based off my Intruder? It seems similar in some respects. I recall there was the brain creature in the Immortals Set D&D rules that also had similarities.

Partly, lets just say its my homage to my favourite monster from Wrath of the Immortals. ;)

I probably should have done all the pseudonatural creatures in Volume 1. Initially I was going to have Algol (my version of Azathoth) in there as well. Volume 1 has the Angels, Volume 2 has the Intelligibles and Umbrals. Volume 3 has the Elementars and Inevitables.

I think if the publisher asks for Volume 1 to be bumped to 96 pages I might include a few more Pseudonaturals in there to make up those extra 8 pages.

S'mon

Legend
Upper_Krust said:
True, but thinking about it, the mercury would be vulnerable to acid. I also added blood poisoning which the original didn't have. ;)

Yeah, that was a cool touch. :cool:

BTW re gravity, the main thing to note AIR is that it decreases proportional to distance squared; so that if you're twice as far away gravity is 1/4. One effect of this is that small worlds have higher gravity than you might think, basically gravity on surface is proportinal to the diameter of the planet so eg a 12,000 km planet (Earth) has gravity of ca 10 m/s/s* and a 1,200 km planet of same density would have 1/10 the gravity, 1 m/s/s

*Object accelerates towards centre of planet with velocity increasing by 10 meters/second every second.

MHahn1976

First Post
Minor Nitpicks

I've been reading through the new release, and I have a coulpe of minor issues:

1) In the odium entry, the Germinate power ends with this phrase:

Should a seed pod be destroyed while the odium is still living

What does happen if the seed pod is destroyed while the odium is still alive? Nothing good for the PC's, I assume.

2) Light Armor Mastery has a prerequisite of 25 STR, while Medium Armor Mastery has a prerequisite of 20 STR. These should be switched, right? Also, does armor mastery remove arcane spell failure chance and maximum Dexterity bonus? Does it allow monks and others who have class abilities restricted by armor to use those abilities while wearing armor?

3) Does Automatic Metamagic Capacity and Metamagic Freedom apply to all classes of a multiclass spellcaster, or only one? Also, what do the psionic versions look like?

Other than those, GREAT job. Your monsters will keep my players up at night for a LONG, LONG time. :lol:

Hey there MHahn! :)

MHahn1976 said:
I've been reading through the new release, and I have a coulpe of minor issues:

1) In the odium entry, the Germinate power ends with this phrase:

That sentence should be:

Should a seed pod be destroyed while the odium is still living it can spend a day creating another.

MHahn1976 said:
What does happen if the seed pod is destroyed while the odium is still alive? Nothing good for the PC's, I assume.

Different odium will have different wards and guards for the seedpods. If one of their seedpods is destroyed you can be sure it will have the perpetrators hunted down and either captured or killed.

MHahn1976 said:
2) Light Armor Mastery has a prerequisite of 25 STR, while Medium Armor Mastery has a prerequisite of 20 STR. These should be switched, right?

Yes, a number of people have mentioned this error, actually, it should be:

Light 25, Medium 30, Heavy 35.

..which I think may mean the Elohim should have Strength 40 as a base.

MHahn1976 said:
Also, does armor mastery remove arcane spell failure chance and maximum Dexterity bonus?

Yes. The character simply becomes unencumbered by the armour.

MHahn1976 said:
Does it allow monks and others who have class abilities restricted by armor to use those abilities while wearing armor?

Yes, although I should add that you should also need to be proficient with that type of armour before you can gain those feats. I'll be sure and fix those feats for the official release.

MHahn1976 said:
3) Does Automatic Metamagic Capacity and Metamagic Freedom apply to all classes of a multiclass spellcaster, or only one?

It applies to all classes and spell-like abilities.

MHahn1976 said:
Also, what do the psionic versions look like?

Automatic Manifestation (giving you a free +2 pp bonus) and Metapsionic Freedom (self explanetory).

MHahn1976 said:
Other than those, GREAT job. Your monsters will keep my players up at night for a LONG, LONG time. :lol:

Glad you are happy with it. :)

Thanks very much for your feedback (and thanks also to those who emailed as well).

Is there anyone here from Dicefreaks?

Hey all! :)

I'm just wondering if there is anyone here from dicefreaks? I tried signing in earlier and it doesn't seem to recognise my email address when I try and use the 'Forgot your password' option.

I know many of you guys out there will be celebrating Independence Day so no major hurry on getting that sorted today I suppose. :D

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey UK,

I have to say you've done a great job with the first part, very well thought-through and creative. I'm now really happy that I've waited the long time.
If your other parts of the IH will be nearly as good as this part, they will be excellent :)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Upper_Krust said:
I'm just wondering if there is anyone here from dicefreaks? I tried signing in earlier and it doesn't seem to recognise my email address when I try and use the 'Forgot your password' option.

I know many of you guys out there will be celebrating Independence Day so no major hurry on getting that sorted today I suppose. :D

I've started a thread there. It's on its second page; many people had questions. I fielded them as best I was able, and pointed them to this thread for anything I couldn't handle.
http://dicefreaks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1101

The Serge

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hey all! :)

Hmmm... I don't recall if you joined since the second site? Also, the boards are down right now. However, I'll take a look at it as soon as we're up tomorrow.

Actually, I'm celebrating moving day...

Looking forward to reading this.

Remove ads