Arcana Evolved - want to use but lack time to create adventures from scratch

Elodan

Adventurer
I really like Arcana Evolved and am planning on running a campaign using it in the Realms. Unfortunately, I have little spare time and need to use published adventures.

My problem is twofold.
  1. There is a lack of AE specific published adventures.
  2. There doesn't seem to be any guidelines on how to convert a standard D&D adventure to AE.
What have other people done in this situation?
Do you know where there are guidelines for conversion?

I'd rather not use standard D&D rules for NPCs and AE ones only for the PCs because of the AE magic system.

Thanks.

Selganor

Adventurer
You do know that you can still use Arcana Unearthed adventures (like Plague of Dreams from Fiery Dragon and Siege on Ebenring Keep from Mystic Eye Games)?

Futhermore Diamond Throne has quite a few adventures.

And if that's still not enough, just get "Ruins of Intrigue" and you'll have a location with more than enough adventure hooks to get your party from 1 to 25

As for conversion D&D to AE... Is your copy of AE missing page 318-325? The conversion guidelines are there.

Elodan

Adventurer
Selganor said:
You do know that you can still use Arcana Unearthed adventures (like Plague of Dreams from Fiery Dragon and Siege on Ebenring Keep from Mystic Eye Games)?

Futhermore Diamond Throne has quite a few adventures.

And if that's still not enough, just get "Ruins of Intrigue" and you'll have a location with more than enough adventure hooks to get your party from 1 to 25

As for conversion D&D to AE... Is your copy of AE missing page 318-325? The conversion guidelines are there.

I have both Plague of Dreams and Siege on Ebonring Keep. I plan on using both of them to start, but they'll only take my PCs to 5th level.

Thanks for the suggestions about Ruins of Intrigue and using the Diamond Throne fan site for adventures. My understanding is that Ruins only contains a skeletal framework for adventures and that the DM has to do a lot of work to use them. Also, have you used any of the adventures from Diamond Throne?

I have those pages in my copy of AE but they describe Combat Rites :). The Conversions section it doesn't really do what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems to be more in the spirit of showing the differences between the two systems (with the exception of the spells section). I'm looking for something more along the lines of, when converting a standard D&D barbarian use the Bear Totem Warrior or Champion of something, swap those feats for these feats, etc.

Last edited:

Elodan

Adventurer
Justin D. Jacobson said:
Our AEvolutions books contain full-length adventures, including the recent Akashic Nodes: The Home of Memory and our upcoming Tell It To My Axe.

Nice; I see I'll have something when my PCs reach 8th - 12th.

Is Tell it to my Axe going to be an AE book?

Can you share any more about AEvolutions (what type of products it'll contain, it there a release schedule)? I looked for info on this at your message board and most of the posts we're missing.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Elodan said:
Nice; I see I'll have something when my PCs reach 8th - 12th.

Is Tell it to my Axe going to be an AE book?

Can you share any more about AEvolutions (what type of products it'll contain, it there a release schedule)? I looked for info on this at your message board and most of the posts we're missing.

Thanks.
Yes, TITMA is also an AE book and will also include a full-length adventure. Because of the nature of the books, i.e., the anthology format, it's difficult to plan ahead what exactly we're going to do next. So, we don't have an announced schedule. However, we do plan on doing books every 4 months or so. If you have suggestions for what you'd like to see, feel free to drop me a line on our boards.

Elodan said:
I really like Arcana Evolved and am planning on running a campaign using it in the Realms. Unfortunately, I have little spare time and need to use published adventures.

My problem is twofold.
  1. There is a lack of AE specific published adventures.
  2. There doesn't seem to be any guidelines on how to convert a standard D&D adventure to AE.
What have other people done in this situation?
Do you know where there are guidelines for conversion?

I'd rather not use standard D&D rules for NPCs and AE ones only for the PCs because of the AE magic system.

Thanks.

For problem 1: If I had all the time in the world (which I don´t), I would make my own self-made adventures available online (in a readable format, and not using a mixture of English and German). (They start at level 3 and go all the way up to Level 15) But as it stands, I can't really help you... :(

For problem 2: I don´t think guidelines would really be a help. You would still have to write down everything, so deciding how to convert shouldn´t take much more time.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Elodan said:
My understanding is that Ruins only contains a skeletal framework for adventures and that the DM has to do a lot of work to use them. \

Yep, that's right. The NPCS, sites and basic motivations are there, but you have to flesh them out. Not a ton of work, but it's not precanned by any stretch of the imagination.

Remove ads