A Genie's Wish

Quickleaf

Legend
What are your thoughts on genie wishes? I've read a couple posts on the subject, and also possess the AQ supplement "Secret of the Lamp." I came up with this system. What do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on Making a Wish
Rafiqi looked the ifreet square in the eye. “Anything?” It nodded. “Very well, I wish to be heralded in song across the land!”
The recently freed ifreet cackled gleefully. “Alas, I am forbidden from doing so by my sultana, a crown of flames upon her head. The last such wish I granted was to an untalented hack. Have you heard of Prince Asfhan?”
“You mean the song about ‘the fool who wasted his wish’? Er...you did that?” The ifreet nodded. Raqifi swallowed. He had been warned by Arnawaz about playing wishing games with djinni, but when it was right there before him, how could he resist? He must! At least if he didn’t want Arnawaz angry at him. “Very well! Djinni, I wish for you to grant my wish to my worst enemy – the corsair Jayla al-Midjbani!”
Flames burst forth as the ifreet vanished. “Seeing and hearing I obey!”

I'm working up a way to make a wish with a djinn. Basically, I have a list of modifiers (see below) which apply to the PC's Charisma check. Once all modifiers are accounted for, an opposed Charisma check is made with the djinn. The results are compared to this table...

Check.....................Result
Succeeds...................Djinni adheres to spirit of the wish
Fails by 1-5................Djinni agrees, but with a caveat which is stated before the wish is granted (e.g. and it shall go doubly for so-and-so; that is one of the 3 things I cannot grant... wish again; this wish shall hold true for you and all your friends and servants)
Fails by 6-10..............Djinni slightly twists the wish
Fails by 11+...............Djinni completely twists the wish, or the wisher has asked for the one thing which grants the djinni its freedom!

Modifiers

The wisher....
Freed the djinn from bondage +10
Commanded/disrespected the djinn -10
Has harmed a djinn of same house -2
Has killed a djinn of same house -5
Of same religion/allegiance +2
Of an opposed religion/allegiance -2
Addresses djinn by correct title +2
Has Djinni Summoning power +2
Provides djinn with a suitable gift +2/+5
Draws up an effective contract +5
Draws up an ineffective contract -5

The djinni....
Is evil -10
Is a noble -5

The Wish....
Calls on power the djinni already has +2
Strikes djinni as fun or interesting +2
Overly wordy or complicated -5
Wish is for something abstract (e.g. authority, beauty, peace) -2
Wish attempts to change the past -5
Short period of servitude +2
Long period of servitude -2

For example: Rafiqi's Wish with the Ifreet
Rafiqi is making a wish with an ifreet he has never met before. The GM determines that these rules apply, as the ifreet and Rafiqi have no past history. Rafiqi has recently freed the ifreet (+10), but it is an evil ifreet after all and certainly not grateful (-10). The ifreet is struck by Rafiqi's request as amusing (+2), and it draws on power the djinni already has - that is, to grant wishes (+2). An opposed Charisma check is made, with Rafiqi getting a +4 bonus. Let's say he fails by 1! The djinni agrees to the wish, but on one condition. The ifreet requests that it be allowed to enlighten the corsair as to the name of the generous man who has gifted her with this wish.

domino

First Post
I like it. It gives the player a way to get a wish with risk, but without simply letting the genie (DM) completely bone the player at will. I'm a little confused on the "power the genie" already has thing though. If he's wishing, and the genie has the power to grant wishes, when would it ever NOT apply?

Quickleaf

Legend
AH, good question! Just ignore that one!
In my True20 game, genies are limited to using their own powers to grant a wish. In other words, they don't have access to a wish spell. They only have their own cunning, ability to travel to Jinnistan, contacts, minor spellcasting, control of elements, flight, etc. A rare few genies can select 2 feats which progressively grant access to power they don't normally possess for the purposes of granting a wish. Hence "relies on power a genie already has" means it's easy for the genie. Maybe I should just get rid of it altogether?

Remove ads