Iron Heroes is available on DriveThruRPG now.

A'koss

Explorer
Kaos said:
You'll be disappointed to hear (if you haven't heard already), slight cheese out on the 'spectre' issue you raised before. Incorporeality gets changed to give them just a flat 50% chance to not be hurt (instead of 'need magic + 50% miss chance.)
Hmm... it's not pretty, but okay. I was kind of hoping for some kind of mundane vulnerability, just didn't think it was going to be that... mundane. I was thinking more along the lines of weapons rubbed in salt or sprinked with the powdered bones of priest, "holy" water or even just cold iron/silver.

Felon

First Post
Hmm. The thread got shuffled along with a bunch of others on the general discussion. I feel the heavy hand of a bored moderator. :cool:

So far, so good. The classes, feats, and stunts deliver for the most part. Some potential concerns:

• The section on magic is very, very lite.
  • Armor doesn't interfere with spellcasting, which isn't a problem if you're an Elric fan, but certainly leaves the question of why a Gandalf-type wizard wouldn't be wrapped in full plate unanswered, other than perhaps the burning desire to make a fashion statement.
  • I can easily see Intelligence becoming a bigger dump stat than Charisma. Most clases will have more skill points than they know what to do with--almost literally.When you have skill groups giving you a rank in four skills for 1 skill point, and most classes have a couple of skill groups available, and those skill groups cover the skills that you'lll primarily want anyway, I don't think we really need some classes getting 8 or more skill points a level.
  • The art direction seems to give the wrong impression IMO. It looks too much like caveman fantasy, with many characters (especially those at the front of the book) wearing hides and face paints and other primitive affectations.

Still investigating.

Last edited:

Kaos

First Post
Felon said:
Hmm. The thread got shuffled along with a bunch of others on the general discussion. I feel the heavy hand of a bored moderator. :cool:

So far, so good. The classes, feats, and stunts deliver for the most part. Some potential concerns:

• The section on magic is very, very lite.
  • Armor doesn't interfere with spellcasting, which isn't a problem if you're an Elric fan, but certainly leaves the question of why a Gandalf-type wizard wouldn't be wrapped in full plate unanswered, other than perhaps the burning desire to make a fashion statement.

• While there's no interference with spellcasting, Arcanists don't get proficiency with armour. Gandalf has better things to do with his feats than grab heavy armour, and doesn't want the penalties for non-proficient usage.

[*]I can easily see Intelligence becoming a bigger dump stat than Charisma. Most clases will have more skill points than they know what to do with--almost literally.When you have skill groups giving you a rank in four skills for 1 skill point, and most classes have a couple of skill groups available, and those skill groups cover the skills that you'lll primarily want anyway, I don't think we really need some classes getting 8 or more skill points a level.

The Lore feat masteries (and the "Tactics of the Mind" mastery) may counteract that somewhat.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Felon said:
Armor doesn't interfere with spellcasting, which isn't a problem if you're an Elric fan, but certainly leaves the question of why a Gandalf-type wizard wouldn't be wrapped in full plate unanswered, other than perhaps the burning desire to make a fashion statement.

There's no reason not to pick up some armor and/or shield proficiencies with your feat slots. Do it and suddenly you're a little more druid or cleric-like, depending on your spell methods.

Felon

First Post
Kaos said:
While there's no interference with spellcasting, Arcanists don't get proficiency with armour. Gandalf has better things to do with his feats than grab heavy armour, and doesn't want the penalties for non-proficient usage.

What exactly are the big penalties an arcanist would be worried about?

EricNoah said:
There's no reason not to pick up some armor and/or shield proficiencies with your feat slots. Do it and suddenly you're a little more druid or cleric-like, depending on your spell methods.

If armor actuall required feats for an arcanist to use effectively, that'd be fine, but does the arcanist really suffer much from nonproficiency? Gandalf takes a penalty to a bunch of physical skills and BAB that he won't be getting much use out of anyway.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
If DriveThruRPG would get off their arses and start accepting American Express I could be reading Iron Heroes instead of complaining. ;)

I guess I'll have to hit the city soon and see if it's in the stores.

Kaos

First Post
Felon said:
What exactly are the big penalties an arcanist would be worried about?

If armor actuall required feats for an arcanist to use effectively, that'd be fine, but does the arcanist really suffer much from nonproficiency? Gandalf takes a penalty to a bunch of physical skills and BAB that he won't be getting much use out of anyway.

The ACP reduces his total defence as well. Makes it worth it to wear Light armour, but Medium and Heavy armours don't seem worth it.

Plus, if you picture Gandalf he didn't exactly stay out of swinging his sword... so that BAB penalty may come up anyway.

EricNoah said:
There's no reason not to pick up some armor and/or shield proficiencies with your feat slots.

That's a tough call. I'd rather be spending my feats on things like Tactics of the Mind progression, but that may be more because of the concept I'm thinking of.

Last edited:

Nifelhein

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
If DriveThruRPG would get off their arses and start accepting American Express I could be reading Iron Heroes instead of complaining. ;)

I guess I'll have to hit the city soon and see if it's in the stores.

They accept Pay Pal, whih does use american express as one of its possibilities, sure many people are against Pay Pal...

Ozmar

First Post
I like Paypal. They gave me $0.47

Now if I could just join them 29 more times, I might be able to get Iron Heroes on PDF!

Ozmar the Cheapskate

Remove ads