SunRods

Harmon

First Post
This has probably been asked before but I do not recall seeing an answer to it so…

What are SunRods?

To my understanding they are much like a road flare. Strike them, or light them off another SunRod, they burn just about anywhere including underwater.

Is there some bit of information somewhere other then the PHB that describes them, or gives some hint as to what they are?

How do you all see them?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Sunrods don't produce heat. You can't light one off another, you simply expose the alchemical substance inside to the air or whatever- and as far as I can tell, they function fine underwater. (Even flares work underwater.)

i see them as.. how they describe them. 1-foot long iron rods that glow with a golden light when struck.

The light would be some sort of phosphorence activated by the rod's resonnance frequence (it's alchemy!)

AR

Taloras

First Post
I always saw it as a rod with a capsule on the end(thin but tough) that when struck caused the alchemical substances inside to mix, causing them to phosphoresce(sp?). This produced the light. :)

Kazinsky

First Post
I see them, and play them as the equivalent of glowsticks. Strike them to activate them and you can't turn them off till they use up their alchemical juices. They create burst lighting, akin to a lantern, not a flashlight.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Kazinsky said:
I see them, and play them as the equivalent of glowsticks. Strike them to activate them and you can't turn them off till they use up their alchemical juices. They create burst lighting, akin to a lantern, not a flashlight.
Glowsticks is exactly how I've always envisioned them as well.

BlackSilver

First Post
My version

It has always been my understanding that Sunrods are rock like in texture, feel, and weight. When part of the surface is struck against something (the way you strike a road flare on pavement) they start “burning” on that end. As the Sunrod burns it gets shorter.

They burn underwater, can be broken to stop the whole duration from being used, do not float, do not break when tossed (unless the distance is very great), and the wealthy PCs usually drop one every once in a while to mark their path.

One of my Players has a character that uses two- one he throws or tosses just out of the range of the one he is carrying, it increases their range of sight to sixty feet, or ninety is he throws it far enough. As the party has a few members with low light vision this helps too.

BTW- any word?

Remove ads