A Clash of Earth and Sea (El Jefe Judging) [See Part II]

Patlin

Explorer
[Server crash caused a loss of about 5 months of data.]

Generall summary: Our heroes defeated the Gargoyles, eventually recovers substantial treasure from them, and were also rewarded with a wand of water breathing. They explored the lake, fought some mutated and corrupted fish, and finally met with their employers. After being briefed on the situation, they assaulted the Merrow caves.

Three Merrow guarded the caves, and our heroes killed two of them. The third retreated. Healing themselves up (and exausting their wand of cure light wounds in the progress) the adventurers entered the complex and took a right turn in a curving underwater cave which eventually led them into a Scrag's lair.

Defeating and burning the Scrag, our adventurers were sorely beaten and gravely exhausted. They set up camp, and were attacked in their vulnerable state by the other two Scrags living in this part of the cave. Things looked grim indeed for our heroes....

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I am not going to reconstruct the battle mid way through. If the entire world crashing and resetting to a period five months earlier doesn't call for a little divine intervention, I don't know what does. I'm going to take a little time to think about through what mechanism the battle was interrupted, but in the meantime try to get your character sheets back together. I'm going to give you (somehow) the opportunity to rest and finish levelling up before we get going again, so Iggy and Sara should be updated to 5th level.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 3/ranger 2

Charlarn is back up. I tried searching Google for cached copies of the thread but couldn't find any.

Patlin

Explorer
Steve Jung said:
Charlarn is back up. I tried searching Google for cached copies of the thread but couldn't find any.

I found one, but it wasn't all that recent, so I decided to go with the "executive summary."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Patlin said:
ooc: I am not going to reconstruct the battle mid way through. If the entire world crashing and resetting to a period five months earlier doesn't call for a little divine intervention, I don't know what does. I'm going to take a little time to think about through what mechanism the battle was interrupted, but in the meantime try to get your character sheets back together. I'm going to give you (somehow) the opportunity to rest and finish levelling up before we get going again, so Iggy and Sara should be updated to 5th level.

"We could'a taken them." :cool:

ooc: I was trying to tell someone about Sara the other day and he refused to believe that a character could be both chaotic neutral and productively involved in an adventure (ie, not an obstructionist character.) :( While I know the kind of CN characters that make folks hate the allignment worse than evil PCs, I think Sara is both true to her allignment and (mostly :uhoh: ) not a drag on the game. Random tangent over.

Patlin

Explorer
As the trolls attack, everything seems to slow down around you. A milky white light overwhelms your perception, in a strange way blotting things out even more than the near absolute blackness of the caves.

You cannot tell what has happened to the others, and you have the feeling that you are somehow greatly seperated from the world as you had previously experienced it. There is a presence nearby, something benevolent and somehow something that you feel you have a deep and personal relationship with. It is with you, though you can't say precicely where it is -- it might be to your right, to your left, or possibly even all around you.

*NEED!* The idea overwhelms you, at once simple to understand and also somehow beyond your grasp.

In the distance, you sense a skeletal hand grasping a web of darkness. As it pulls upon strands the web shivers menacingly around the world. Your attention is drawn to a particular set of strands, which somehow seem to extend towards you. The web seems to fall away into the background, and the strands transform into four figures of dark power. One, far larger than the others, holds in his two hands some sort of amorphous darkness, reeking of evil.

You look inside the darkness, and though you remain sheltered in the misty light the dimensions of the dark suddenly seem to exceed your ability to understand. Swimming towards you from the dark there comes a gigantic shark. Your perceptions fall back, and now you see the lake as a whole, as if from flying high above. The darkness fills it, taints it, tries to destroy it. A skeletal finger reaches out, touching the darkness from some far distance, and sharks teem out of the lake, somehow swimming onto the land and hunting outside the water.

*SERVICE!*Another idea comes to you, and before you stands a mighty hammer.

The hammer's head is made from some unusual substance, a form of iron from which magic slips away. Raising the hammer high above your head, you bring it down upon a stone... a very unusual stone. It seems to be an opal, but it's the size of a watermelon. Somehow, the opal is the center of the darkness. The opal shatters beneath your assault, and the darkness shatters with it. Once more, you are alone in the milky light.

The world returns to you, and you are standing in the woods near the farmstead at which you fought the Gargoyles. You are fully healed and rested. The sun is high in the sky, and your companions stand at your side. The presense is gone, and the scrag are nowhere to be seen.

Remove ads