Gwendolynn Von Holden's Diary: Can't a girl get some sleep around here?

BSF

Explorer
A few DM side notes here:

For those keeping track at home, I completely diverged from Against the Cult of the Reptile God once we got done with Orlane. The layout of the lair is completely different. As well, there is something greater afoot. I will allow that to come out through the story though.

The crocodile fight was much more amusing to me than Gwen's rushed notes indicate. When the sorceror (Falon) stepped forward because everyone else hesitated, the crocodile snapped him up and rolled. When he stopped struggling, it spit him out and moved to the next food source. I had a lot of fun with that until the group managed to kill it. :D

I do get the impression that the Impassable Forest is sounding a little less than threatening. So just to clarify a little bit. Before Lajon died and Falon joined (with his enchanted moonstone) the group was encountering hostile creatures every 4-6 hours. It is hard to get yourself rested when something attacks a couple of times a night. This will come up again later and the encounters are usually 1d6+4 ogres. It can be a rough environment at times.

Steverooo

First Post
Changing the module is usually good GMing! :D (Depends upon your GM, of course!)

Yep, there is definitely something else afoot, with all those Ogres mucking about... I guess the good news is, with a steady diet of those, the PCs will level rather quickly! ;)

Eeralai

First Post
Day 2 in Naga Lair

Ternell and Falon too wounded to do anything. I've been watching Aaron and it seems I should be able to figure out some way to use my powers to heal. Ternell also can heal a little bit. I know the power is god given, but power is power and so I should be able to figure it out.

Also been thinking about guard with snake tattoos. The more I think about him, the more I think his magic was like mine. He attacked my mind directly. Right where I feel the power emanating. Figures only person I find with powers similar to mine is evil. Thus supporting my whole fear that I am evil. Oh gods!

Last edited:

Eeralai

First Post
Day 3 Naga Lair

Still not speaking with Chani. Can’t believe I tried to charm her. Falon and Ternell still too wounded to move. If I had the power to heal, they would be fine by now. Don’t understand what Aaron’s problem is with the healing. If a cleric can’t heal faster than this, what good is he? Hmmm, but if I’m evil, would I be able to heal? What if I tried to heal but ended up doing damage instead? But if evil clerics can’t heal, then all evil armies would die quickly. So, still wouldn’t know if I was evil or not just by healing power.

Eeralai

First Post
Okay, I will spare the audience more of Gwen’s musings over whether or not she is evil because there is more of that to come later in the story. Instead, I will offer another background story which is where her debate about being evil or not begins. It takes place just after she turns 17 and is in the form of a letter to Jalik. He would go away to do architecture things because he was slightly famous, and so Gwen would write to him on occasion.

Dear Jalik,

Today was a disaster. All I did was go to the general store with Aaron (this is Gwen’s second oldest brother and not the cleric), and now the whole town wants me to leave. When we entered the store a voice drawled, “Well, look whose here, the witch and her toad. Come to set the store on fire?” We looked over, and there was Lance. I think I’ve mentioned him a few times as someone who is always contrary. He constantly calls Aaron a toad because Aaron is short. One day, I’ll turn Lance into a toad.

I thought of how you say to ignore the townspeople when they’re rude to me, so that was my plan. But Aaron isn’t one to let a thing drop, so he said, “We wouldn’t set fire to the store with you in it. The smell of burnt Lance would set the whole town vomiting.”

“Your one to talk, toad boy,” said Lance. “I could smell you before you opened the door.”

“Let’s just go, Aaron,” I said quickly. “We can come back later.”

“Why don’t you go to my place,” said Lance looking at me. “As I see it, Tad just handled you wrong. When I’m done with you, you’ll be beggin’ for more.”

Aaron swung a fist at Lance, but Lance caught his fist, and jerked Aaron’s arm behind his back.

“Let go of my brother!” I yelled.

“Not until you give me a kiss,” said Lance with a grin.

“Don’t do it Gwen,” said Aaron. “He’s weak. This doesn’t hurt.” At that, Lance jerked Aaron’s arm hard. He turned white, but didn’t cry out. Suddenly I became completely calm. I looked right at Lance and said, “You’ll let go of Aaron now.” Later, Aaron told me that my whole aura glowed purple along with my eyes. Lance looked confused for a moment. Then he let go of Aaron and said “Of course. I’m so sorry. Can I do anything else for you, Gwendolynn?”

Inwardly shocked and elated, I said, “Yes, you can collect these things on my list and carry them to the house for us.” Immediately, Lance took the list from me and started collecting up all the things. The shopkeeper looked relieved and surprised. I knew the story would travel fast and probably not favorably about me. Aaron said he was no worse for wear, and the three of us walked back to the farm. I should’ve dismissed Lance after he had put everything away for us, but then I made him clean the chicken coop for me. Aaron and I laughed after he left to clean the coop, and then Aaron started asking me questions about the power. He’s always been interested in the mechanics of my magic. He wanted to know if I could call off the charm, and I said that I thought I could, but I was going to have to clean the chicken coop tomorrow, so I wasn’t going to call it off. Then he told me to charm him so he could see how it worked and what it felt like. I did and he became all dopey like Lance. I called it off because it was unnatural to see Aaron look that way, whereas it was a great improvement to Lance. When Aaron became himself again, he said that I should probably send Lance home when he was done in the chicken coop, because he was probably going to be really upset when he came to.

We were laughing and carrying on in the kitchen when mother came in. When she found out what was going on, her mouth grew thin as a pin. She made me send Lance home right away and then lectured both of us on the sanctity of people’s minds and that controlling their actions was an invasion of this. She was livid. Aaron was told that he shouldn’t have allowed me to make Lance clean the chicken coop and hadn’t both of us grown up beyond the age of 12. She made us go out and finish the job Lance had started. In the end, we decided it had been worth it because Lance is such a jerk, and managed to have a good time cleaning the coop together.

Father insisted that everything would blow over soon, but it didn’t. Lance was so mad after he came to that he stormed into our house later that day. It took my father and all my brother’s to get him off our land. The rest of the town was worried about being forced to do things against their wills and maybe I had, after all, lured Tad to the shed with the intent of burning him up. I could never set somebody intentionally on fire! But was it really that bad to control Lance for a little bit? I mean, he would’ve broken Aaron’s nose or given him a black eye. It’s not like I intended to control him forever. Will you be home soon to set the town straight?

All my Best,

Gwen

BSF

Explorer
Naga Lair Day 4

Party members healed: 2; Party members injured today: everyone; Wounds Aaron was able to heal: Not enough, Wounds Ternell healed: only his own.

Can't believe we are resting again. Finally got out of the dungeon area only to wander around
and around and around. Every door we opened seemed to be filled with troglodytes. Fought hard, but
powers not very useful. Don't think Ramni likes me or Chani much. Seems to get along best with Falon.
Wonder what Falon thinks of me now that I tried to charm Chani. Probably hates me.

Anyway, troglodytes seem to have taken over this lair from lizard people. Dead lizard bodies abound. Think
they eat some of them. Lair is built in circular manner like hill. Think we are missing some sort of
entrance that would take us to the naga. Don't want to rest again. Was assured that we would only rest
one day this time. Found some sort of closet and put a table in it for fortifications. Sleeping behind table
and too close to everyone. People snoring and bleeding on each other. Had to make up with Chani since she
is right next to me. Told her I was sorry and I would never use my powers on her or anyone else in the
party unless they wanted me too. She apologized too and said she was not used to traveling with other
girls. Told me she has not had many friends during her life. I have not either and if she had been
listening to any of my conversations, would have known that about me and then we could've been friends.
But trying to be friends now, so will try not to say mean things about her in journal.

Should rest now and hope for the end of this lair business tomorrow. Wanted adventure, but did not
realize it would include waking up in someone elses drool and blood.

Eeralai

First Post
Doh!

The above post was by me. Forgot to log BSF out before posting. Sorry it has been so long since I updated here. Sick kid, sick me, etc. Hopefully I will finish off the naga tonight. Stay tuned....

Eeralai

First Post
Naga Lair Day 5

Naga defeated: 1 Huzzah!

Started day by going around and around in a circle again. Korliss got tired of running into troglodytes and
decided to try to smoke them out of the hill. He stuffed a bunch of clothes up the chimney to clog it up.
Almost drove us out of the hill too. But in the midst of the smoke, we ran into some big double doors that
we must've gone by 15 times. Decided to open them this time to get out of the smoke and stepped into a
large chamber.

Lining the walls were men in black, shiny armor with black helmets and visors pulled over their eyes. I'd
never seen anything like it, nor had Ramni. They pulled this odd looking stick out with a handle and something
their finger rested on that they pulled back. They said to surrender to the naga now or die. We looked
at each other and Falon tried a magic missile, but it bounced right off the armor. One of the men pulled back
on the stick thing and what looked like a magic missile fired out and blasted off part of the wall. We simply
surrendered. Then BSF laughed at us. :) He had just picked up Dragon Star and decided to throw a little
something extra at us. Does that count as a rat bastard dm?

Eeralai

First Post
Beyond the double doors were troglodytes lining two walls. At the end of the room was a platform with a large
snake coiled around itself. It lifted what should've been a snake head to reveal a woman's head with long,
stringy, black hair. How something that ugly could charm people is beyond me. But, I quickly averted my eyes.
Ramni had warned us not to look directly at it until he had cast his protection sphere. Ternell, Ardel, and
Aaron rushed in to take on the troglodytes. Ramni had given Korliss a potion of invisibility, so he downed it
and I didn't see him again until later.

While the troglodytes fought, the naga tried to charm us. Ramni was able to get up his proetection sphere,
so Falon, Chani, Ramni and I were safe from her spells. We wouldn't have lasted long at all against the troglodytes that were fighting our fighters. It was amazing how well we were working together. Chani was even singing us to greater daring. Ramni had given Falon a scroll of lightning, and he shot it straight at Explicticus. Singed and enraged that her charm spells weren't working, she cast a darkness that spread around our sphere, but didn't invade it. Ardel, Ternell, and Aaron were affected by it, but fortunately, Korliss had snuck over before the blackness and was able to stab the naga through. She hissed and spit at us, but didn't fall. Ramni shot another bolt of lightning straight through her that finished her off. The darkness vanished with the lightning, and Ternell, Ardel, and Aaron stood panting over their fallen foes.

Last edited:

Remove ads