Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow [Recruiting Alternates]

elapse

First Post
Mods

Ok, I have made the mods to my character. I kept the shortsword and dagger, but dropped the leather armor and short bow as I could not afford them (maybe I'll pick up some craft skills down the road so I can construct some leather armor and bows).

As far as the rest of you: Reznik does not look dornish. Aside from that he has a nasty scar across his throat and his voice is all screwed up. It sounds like gravel, making social interaction a pain. He does frequent the tavern (you'll see him sitting alone, being shunned by the locals) after his work in the fields is complete. He is distant and cold and not a fun buddy to have, but he is methodical and efficient. For anyone fighting against Izrador and the Night Kings his unpleasant demeanor will be overshadowed by his determination and skill.

If anyone else wants to be a part of the resistance, let me know. Maybe our characters can know of each other. Since Rrezniks job is to work in the fields, he does not have alot of supervision, making it possible to duck out for short periods at a time to recon or do whatever else needs to get done. This earns him a reputation as being lazy since he doesn't always have alot of work done in the fields. He could really give two $h|t$ what anyone thinks as long as they stay out of his business (unless we are allied ;) ).

For Reznik there is no gallantry, there is no chivalry. He will murder the opposition, steal from them, attack from cover. He fights to free the world from the Shadows cold grip by any means necessary. Even if that means he must be as cold and ruthless as those he fights.

Bobitron

Explorer
The more I think about Kaela, the more I picture her as a shy, smiling sort who runs and hides whenever the patrols come around. She brings forth some very strong protective feelings among those she touches. Kaela sticks out like a sore thumb in a group of hardened warriors, but if you saw them interact you would see she is just as much part of the group as someone like Reznik.

Still trying to decide on the spell thing. I have so far made Kaela very much a skill based character, with strong scores in:

Bluff* +10 (4 ranks, +3 Cha, +3 Skill Focus)
Concentration* +8 (4 ranks, +2 Con, +2 Master Adventurer)
Diplomacy* +9 (4 ranks, +3 Cha, +2 Negotiator feat)
Gather Information* +7 (4 ranks, +3 Cha)
Knowledge (arcana)* +8 (4 ranks, +2 Int, +2 Master Adventurer)
Sense Motive* +9 (4 ranks, +3 Cha, +2 Negotiator feat)
Spellcraft* +8 (4 ranks, +2 Int, +2 Master Adventurer)

I could drop Negotiator and still have good checks in Diplomacy and Sense Motive to get another spell by taking the Spellcasting feat. Any input from you all on what spell or spells I should choose? I am leaning toward Charm and Sleep.

Also, I was considering making her into a bit of a herbalist. Moving her Profession to Herbalist is easy enough, but it relies on a DC20 Survival check to find the herbs. I suppose I could make liberal use of the 'Take 20' rules to find what I might need ahead of time, but that is a decision that Hrothgar would have to approve.

Hrothgar

First Post
Bob
I'm glad you're going to be staying. :D As for Taking 20, it will depend on the terrain and whether you are on the run. This adventure will range out of the north (depending on how you guys take it), so the terrain may vary substantially. And since this is Midnight, you can guarantee you'll be on the run at times. :] I would have no problem with you Taking 20, exploring the meadows or pine-oak forest for herbs now and Taking 20. In fact, your skills might be why the townsfolk of Caft tolerate or possibly even appreciate your character's presence.

Elapse
Thanks for making the changes to equipment. I like Reznik. A harsh character for a harsh world. If anyone wants their character to be part of a resistance cell based in Caft with Reznik, here is your opportunity. I will provide ample motiviation in the opening scene.

Krug
For barbarians, roll 3d4x10 vp (assume 1vp = 1 gp). Remember to consult the table here for regional adjustments to the cost of items. Caft is in Northern Erenland.

elapse

First Post
Connections

Bobi: If you get into herbalism let me know. I will be after you for salves and poison so we can have some sort of rapport between us. Also, i believe we are both Erenlanders. I may approach you to find if you have been sent north as I have.

Krug: Our relations will depend on you. I am the outsider here. We both probably do wanderings and scouting in the forest. Maybe you saw me one day when I was doing some initial recon and wondered why I wasn't in the fields. Let me know if we can build off of that.

Anyone else making a character speak up so we can fit in some how. It'll be pointless to have all of us running around on our own FP.

Bobitron

Explorer
elapse said:
Bobi: If you get into herbalism let me know. I will be after you for salves and poison so we can have some sort of rapport between us. Also, i believe we are both Erenlanders. I may approach you to find if you have been sent north as I have.

I will adjust my skills to reflect some ability with Herbalism. I am also working with Shatterstone to get some history worked out between our characters; something a bit deeper than just meeting and having common interests.

I see Kaela as having been around in town for a while now (maybe five years?). She is accepted due to her tender nature and her herbalism, even through the Dorns have never truly adopted her as one of their own.

Hrothgar

First Post
Languages

I don't have my Midnight 1E book with me so I can't remember if 2E made any substantive changes, but in 2E they do work differently than the Player's Handbook. Your character is considered fluent in one automatic language (of her choice if more than one is listed). Rather than gaining additional languages given an intelligence bonus, your character gains 2 skill points per Int. bonus to spend on automatic languages. 3 ranks in Speak Language for a given language makes a character fluent in that language, 2 ranks gains basic competence, and 1 rank gives a character a pidgin competence. A language such as High Elven is so complex, 3 ranks are necessary to speak and understand it while Black Tongue is such a basic language, a pidgin level of competence makes a character fluent. Please list a (1) after a language to represent pidgin competence a (2) to represent basic competence. Please keep this in mind when characters are desinged. I won't make too much of an issue when someone with only speaking pidgin is speaking with someone fluent in a language. However, the goal is to limit languages, simulating the isolationist nature of Shadow-controlled Eredane.

Elapse, this may limit the total number of languages you selected, unless you want pidgin competence in your other two languages. Krug, one of your languages should only have a pidgin level of competence.

Bob
Excellent. Nice to have you and BS working together. I think the direction you are taking your character is excellent. Maybe Kaela has only been here one year, her kindness giving her shelter and food during the harsh, unforgiving winter and her herbalism skills now ingratiating her with Caft's residence during the warmer herb growing months?

Your character may know more about what is going on in Caft than the others because of her general acceptance. I just have to figure out a way to keep the suspense for you as well. I may have to feed you bits of information that she may already know. :)

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
Bob
Excellent. Nice to have you and BS working together. I think the direction you are taking your character is excellent. Maybe Kaela has only been here one year, her kindness giving her shelter and food during the harsh, unforgiving winter and her herbalism skills now ingratiating her with Caft's residence during the warmer herb growing months?

Your character may know more about what is going on in Caft than the others because of her general acceptance. I just have to figure out a way to keep the suspense for you as well. I may have to feed you bits of information that she may already know. :)

Yeah, in working with Bro it makes sense to have her in Caft for less time. I'll wrap up her stats tomorrow, but expect background to take a bit longer as we get it hammered out.

Bobitron

Explorer
Okay, updated Kaela. I did make the change to an Herbalist, dropping some ranks from some social skills to get the needed ones in Craft (Alchemy). Still need to adjust languages per your last post, and I'm still working out the background.

I don't know how much you want the 'charge' me for the herbal remedies Kaela already made, Hrothgar. I just took a bunch of not so great ones, and assumed they are what she has collected over the last few months. I also took my wealth as herbs she could trade. Let me know of any adjustments you want made.

Remove ads