[BESM/D&D) Advanced Magic?

This product looks really promising. Or, it did while GoO's website was still working.

IIRC it was supposed to be released in August. However, I've heard nothing new about it nor seen any previews.

Does anyone knows anything about this book which is supposed to be a skill and feat magic system for BESM d20 and D&D?
Anyone from GoG care to post some teasers?

:)

Denaes

First Post
I'm iffy on this.

It's supposed to be an extension of the magic system from d20 Slayers. Which was a skill based magic system that involved no "spells per day per level" or "spell points" as far as I recall.

But the spells in Slayers d20 are like 98% combat direct damage... which I guess is from the show. Not the sort of magic I like.

If they manage to have a wide variety of spells... I'll make this a buy definately

jcfiala

Explorer
Denaes said:
It's supposed to be an extension of the magic system from d20 Slayers. Which was a skill based magic system that involved no "spells per day per level" or "spell points" as far as I recall.

I've been reading the Slayers D20 - I hadn't gotten it for a while ($40 was a bit much for a research book), but I picked it up on ebay recently.

The idea is that spells have a DC to cast them. This DC is increased by metamagic feats - which are all now basically sudden. To cast, you make a fort save, plus your caster level, plus possible feat/item bonuses, plus bonuses for shouting the name out loud or saying the incantation (which extends a standard casting action into a full action).

If you make the save, you take a little non-lethal damage, based on the spell DC, if you fail it you take more, and could even become fatigued or exhausted. So far, it seems to fit the feel of the original series quite well.

I'm not sure how it would work with standard Clerical magic, though - easy access to healing would make this fairly broken. From the book's point of view, though, standard clerical magic isn't around, although there is healing magic. (It just involves hurting yourselves to heal others, as above.)

I'm curious to see how they're going to flesh this out for a more generic system... but currently GoO is MIA, web-wise. :(

Remove ads