"Here There Be Vampires" A Promise City, Arizona Story Hour

orchid blossom

Explorer
Aftermath

After seeing Ruby come stumbling out the door Nanuet, who had gone around back and come to the porch rushes in. He sees Jake lying on the floor and Jeff protecting Ruby from an unseen foe.

"Is everyone OK? What happened in here? Minerva, where did you go, I thought you were coming around the building with me?" Nanuet says in an exasperated tone.

Minerva turns to Nanuet with a dazed expression. She tries to comprehend his tone of voice as she slowly raises her hand to her face and feels the spot on her cheek, bruised and still burning cold into her flesh from the touch of evil. She turns to him intending to respond angrily as she delicately dabs at the blood on her lip. "Where were you?" She attempts to keep the anger in her voice as she responds to his exasperation but her facade crumbles and she begins to tremble as she realizes what has just occurred.

Nanuet sees Minerva bring her hand to her face and then notices the wound. He makes his way over to her and his tone of voice changes to one of concern. "I went out the back, like I said. I thought we were going around the building to get in the front. What happened to your face?" he says reaching out his hand near the wound. "Let me help you with that." He cast a healing prayer.

Minerva buries her face in his chest and as he holds her, her trembling subsides and she is able to tell him what occurred. "He was an abomination.. an undead. I tried to stab him but Ruby pulled me back... And his eyes," she shudders. "They glowed red and eminated such evil as I have never felt before. I tried to turn him away but he is much too powerful."

She grabs Nanuet's arms "Nanuet, He says that he is coming back for Ruby! I think he plans to take her for his bride. We must find a way to protect her.”

The crowd in the Lucky Lady explodes into conversation. Most people have no understanding of what just happened but everyone seems to be excited about the goings on of the last minute.

Suddenly released from her compulsion Ruby starts to cry while she falls to her knees next to Jake on the floor. She puts her hand on his back and sobs, "A-a-re you a-alright?"

Jake turns over and sits up. "Yah." He is still holding the dagger which he examines and then plunges into the porch. "Mierda."

Jeff Mills walks over to Jake to help him off the ground. "Hey boss, you OK? What in hades was that thing anyways? Do you think he will really be back?"

Jake takes his hand and stands. "Yes, I think I am OK." Jake reaches down and pulls Ruby up.

"What in Hades may be the correct question, Jeff." Jake pulls Ruby in close to him and he says quietly to the two of them, "He was cold. There was no warmth to him, even when I stabbed him." Pointedly, Jake doesn't answer Jeff's last question. "Keep your eyes open. Thanks for standing by me again, Mr. Mills."

Jake takes a hankerchief out of his pocket and wipes his hand before using the hanky to pickup the dagger from the porch. He wraps the dagger in the cloth.

"It's OK now Ruby, let's go inside." He whispers in her ear, "Are YOU alright?"

Ruby shakes her head no and buries her face in Jake's shoulder. He feels her still trembling and his shirt starts to soak through with her tears. Muffled she continues to sob, "I don't know what he was... I couldn't s-stop myself and I said all those horrible things to you... I don't w-want to die..." She grips Jake tighter, "H-he tried to take me and he said he was going to c-come back..."

Jake lets her cry, he simply holds onto her. He notices that Minerva and Nanuet and doing the same thing but does not see Katherine. "Yes, that is what he said. I didn't let him take you this time, and I won't ever."

"Nanuet, where is Katherine?"

Nanuet responds, "I think I saw her run out the back way."

After a few more moments Ruby's sobs subside. She turns her face up to Jake, "You're right, you didn't let him take me." She breathes in deeply, that fact comforting her, the remaining tears falling off her face. "What WAS he, what happened to him? And I don't understand why he wants me." She rubs the tears off her face and lets go of Jake. "We have to find out before he comes back," she says softly. "Maybe Mr. Gonzales can help. Or that druid lady..."

"You are right, we need to know what we are fighting. Those are good suggestions. Minerva seemed to understand some of what he was saying. Perhaps she knows more or one of her bishop friends." Jake looks out the back door. "Let's make sure Katherine is alright."

Ruby only nods before following Jake inside the saloon.

She was in no mood to be looking after anyone else at the moment, still scared, more like terrified, but trying not to show it. To her, this was scarier than Johnny Ringo, after all, he was just a man. Colin, who knew what he was or what he had planned.

Pale and still shivering she is too overwhelemed to even get herself a drink. She stands quietly and waits for the others to find out how Kate was.

Jake looks out the side door and sees Katherine dimly in the light from the doorway. Just as he starts to step outside, he realizes what she is doing and pauses. I think I'll let her be for a few more moments.

He walks back across to Jeff Mills, "I'm going to take Ruby upstairs, I think she is done singing for the evening. Give my table another round of drinks and send them home. If you see Chet, send him upstairs." He then walks over to the indian, "Nanuet can you two please meet us upstairs? I think it would be a fine idea if the priestess checked in on Katherine in a moment or two and bring her too. She is indisposed."

Jake slides an arm around Ruby and guides her up the stairs.

Ruby lets Jake guide her. Once inside their room she heads right to the window and opens it before sitting in the chair right next to it. She sits quietly staring at the floor.

Suddenly she looks up at Jake, still pale. "I remember my dream, from yesterday. He killed me, in the dream. He came into our room. And he bit me and I died right here in your arms."

"That is a quite distressing dream. I can understand why you would be upset." Jake closes the window. "How did you know he had, those teeth, fangs of his? How in your dream did you know that?"

"I saw them. Before he bit me, right before he bit me they came out." Ruby unconsciously rubs her neck. She stands and starts pacing back and forth. Furrowing her brows together, "But I forgot, the dream that is. I forget what it was until before, when I saw him change into...." She shivers. "He was floating over me and he... he..." Ruby voice trails off as she starts getting more agitated.

She strides over to the window and opens it, breathing in deeply and sighing with the cool night air. She turns back to face Jake. "He's going to come back, I know it."

"Yes, right through that blasted window!" Jake says closing it firmly. "Nanuet said he saw a cloud or mist out there. When I was wrestling with him, he became insubstantial. He just turned into air, or a cloud or something. What if that was him outside our window?"

Ruby looks at Jake with big eyes, obviously hurt as her lip starts trembling again at his outburst. She looks to the window then down to her feet. "I just...just..." She squeezes her eyes shut tight to keep more tears from spilling out. She continues in a voice soft as a whisper, "Just feel like the window should be open, I can't help it."

"Does it seem at all strange to you? If I tell you I am going to have Jeff Mills nail them shut, do you start thinking of ways to sneak it open?" Jake asks gently without any sarcasm.

Ruby gulps. "I just want it open." She looks over Jake's shoulder to the window. "Yes, it seems strange and I guess I would try to get it open." Quiet in thought again for a few moments she starts biting her lip, "Oh what is wrong with me?"

"I guess he is still influencing you." Jake continues to stand between Ruby and the window.

Ruby turns her back to Jake and tries as hard as she can to not think about the window. She closes her eyes again but immediately those burning red eyes are staring back at her. Her eyes fly open and she turns on her heel to face Jake, "If he's coming back the window isn't going to stop him. Open the window."

Jake gets a sad look on his face and sighs. "Yes of course. I see that I must do that." He pauses. "I have an idea though," he reaches around behind and takes an ordinary .45 caliber round from his belt, "this is a special bullet that Red gave me long ago. At the time I didn't know what he was talking about, he told me Laddie, some day you might encounter the greatest of all horrors. The monster in the shape of a man, with fangs and strange powers to control people. This bullet, me boy, shoot him in the heart and it will destroy the monster utterly." Jake holds the bullet up between two fingers.

"I will do as you say. Open the window, and when he comes through, I will destroy him utterly."

Ruby raises her hand and touches the bullet in Jake's hand delicately. She starts breathing hard but stands still facing Jake, looking back and forth from him to the window. She takes a step forward, then stops, then starts towards the window again. Standing in front of the window, her red hair framing her face as she looks over her shoulder at him, "If you could have killed him downstairs, why didn't you?"

"You are trying to protect him aren't you?" Jake's tone is not accusing, just neutral. "At least his taint does not make you stupid."

Jake walks over to the night stand and straps on his long barrel Colt. He drops two shells out of it, and replaces then with two others. He then pours himself a generous whiskey and take a sip. He does this all calmly and without hurrying. Finally he says, "Ruby my Love, I will destroy him utterly. First we must remove his taint from you. It would be a crime if my love, partner and best friend was not on my side."

"Protect... him?" It feels like a bullet pierces her own heart with Jake's words, driven in deeper with the realization he might be right. She summons her strength and turns her back on the window, running into Jake's arms. "I am SO sorry for all of this... I really am... Even if it doesn't seem like it... I'm always on your side baby...And I always will be... You have to trust in that..."

She puts her face up against Jake's neck, the spot that always comforts her. She is quiet for a long moment, feeling Jake's heart beating against hers and it calms her.

She pulls back slightly and looks him in the eyes, "I believe you can destroy him. But if something happens... I won't let him hurt you. I would rather go with him then let that happen..." Her voice trails off but she keeps her grip on Jake.

"I don't blame you, if that is what you mean." He lets her stay in the comfort of his arms. "No, you said forever. I am going to hold you to that. Running away to him saves me from what awful fate? Instead I wake every morning without you, thinking that I failed you again? Every day I could reach into my darkest imagination and see you subjugated by a monster like that? No, Ruby, it shall not come to pass."

He strokes her hair and speaks in a soothing tone. "Wait and see what Nanuet and Minerva have to say, we must first purge the taint of that monster from your being." He remembers the words Ruby spoke when clinging to the arm of that fiend. Below the surface, his hate and anger burns white hot. He strokes Ruby's hair while reliving every detail of what has transpired. Everything has weakness and that thing thinks it knows mine. Without moving his head his eyes glance down at the red hair under his hand, It does not understand that she is also my strength.

An unknown amount of time passes with Ruby safe in Jake's arms. Finally she summons a small smile before lifting her head. She gently places her hands on Jake's face and she feels his smooth cheeks under her fingertips. She lets her fingers wander to the stubble of his newly shaved off goatee then to his soft lips. She closes her eyes cherishing every second. Leaning in slowly she pushes her lips against Jake's and in a flash she seems to return to herself.

"I said forever and I meant it." She kisses him again. "But baby you've never failed me, not once, not ever. It may sound foolish of me, or naive, or stupid... but you've saved me in every way possible. You may not think so but Jacob Cook IS my knight in shining armor, whether he thinks he is capable of it or not."

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Just wanted to let everybody know that I've really been enjoying this Story Hour.

As much as I've enjoyed running this campaign I was started to get burnt out, so I really appreciate Dire Wolf taking over the DM chores for this campaign and Orchid Blossom's work as the Story Hour chronicler.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Thanks. :)

Good words are always appreciated.

As long as we're talking about the changeover in who is doing the story hour, a couple notes on style.

Most of you know this game is Play by Post. So the Story Hour is the player's posts rearranged to read as smoothly as possible.

One thing I can't really fix is tense changes. Katherine is my character, and I am in such a habit of writing in past tense that I just can't stop. Everyone else writes in present tense. It is a lot of work to change the tense in posts, so I haven't bothered. Hopefully that's not too annoying for anyone.

And now for another update.

orchid blossom

Explorer
First Plans

Nanuet holds Minerva for a few moments listening to what she says. "I'm just glad you are OK. Next time I will stay by your side."

Jake stops and has a few words with Nanuet.

"Sure thing Jake, we will be up in a few."

Once Nanuet feels Minerva is calm he asks her to check on Katherine out back and if she needs anything to holler.

"After that Jake wants us to meet him upstairs."

Minerva walks to the back and hears Katherine retching outside the door. She grabs a cold wet cloth and steps out to aid her. She places her hand on Katherine’s back in sympathy and wordlessly hands her the towel. Poor woman she has endured so much and now to be visited by such evil. I do not blame her for reacting so. His presence caused the bile to rise in my throat also. The young priestess patiently waits some minutes for Katherine to compose herself before she quietly speaks. "Come Katherine, we are needed upstairs."

Kate swallowed. "I helped it. I felt as if it was the only thing I could do, as if the world would end if I didn't."

Minerva narrows her eyes and takes a step back. "What do you mean you helped it. How did you help it?"

"You were there. I was almost ready to use violence to make Jeff get out of the way so that thing could take Ruby away from us. And earlier today, I had a talk with Ruby. I tried to convince her she should go with him. You don't know what it's like when he touches your mind. You can't think of doing anything but what he wants. You're desperate to do it."

Minerva puts her arm around her friend. "Although he did not try to control my mind, I felt his touch also. He is a vile creature. It is no wonder you are out here retching your guts out, if he has touched your mind. Come let us go and find the others. We will not let him harm you or your child Katherine," she says with vehamence "We will find him and destroy him, whatever it takes to do so."

"He doesn't want me, I'm just a tool to him. A means of getting what he wants. As long as I'm a good little puppet I'm perfectly safe," she said bitterly.

"You are wrong Katherine. As long as he can control you, you are in danger. He would not hesitate to kill you to get what he wants. We must find a way to shield you from his influence.”

"I can agree with the shielding part at least." Kate stopped and took a deep breath. "We'd best go, although I don't know how I can face them."

Chester knocks and when Jake opens the door, he asks, "What's going on? Harry found me at the Double Eagle and said there was some trouble here. I heard the crowd downstairs talking about a Ruby going away with a stranger."

Ruby startles with the knock on the door but lets out a nervous laugh when she realizes it's Chester. She sits on the bed and finds herself staring at the window while Jake tells Chester the story of Colin Turner and the attempted abduction.

As Jake relates the story, Chester gets a growing sense of horror. "So what you're saying is that Turner isn't a person, but some sort of walking dead? How do you kill a man who's already dead? Are you sure about this? I can't believe Hades would allow the dead to come back from his realm."

"You heard what we saw, and what that fiend said. I don't quite know what to believe about it all. As soon as the other three get up here the first order of business is to get more information and then to make sure he is not still influencing anyone of us. You say his name is Turner? I wonder if that is important. The only other Turner around here that I have heard about is the widow woman that Job Kane has been seeing. She is from Wilcox, right?"

Ruby pulls her stare from the window. "Yes, his name is Turner, Colin Turner. He's a businessman, at least he was. Very successful one at that." She tugs on her hair. "I don't think he is related to Job's girlfriend."

Katherine and Miss Florencia made their way upstairs to Jake and Ruby's room. Kate’s stomach was still queasy and she felt clammy and cold. "I'm sorry," she said quietly and sat down.

As Kate sits next to Ruby she wraps an arm around her friend. "Sorry about what? There is nothing for you to be sorry about." She hugs Kate then lets her gaze fall back on the window.

"Colin Turner?" Jake says to himself and taps his lips. He then walks over to the largest bouquet of flowers still in the room, one of the last since most of the others had long since wilted and been thrown out. He removes the note and reads it again.

Miss West~ I was overcome to hear that you were injured last night. I hope these flowers can help cheer your mood while you recover. Your dance last evening was absolutely inspiring and quite enjoyable. I also look forward to hearing your angelic voice once you feel better. Do not forget my offer, I long to take you away from here and can give you what no other man can. ~C.T.

Jake scowls and carries the flowers to the window. He opens the window, tosses the flowers out, and closes it again. "C.T. is Colin Turner," he says holding the note out in front of Ruby and Katherine.

"Minvera, tell us what you know or are guessing about this monster, and how we may remove the taint of his control on any of us."

Ruby takes the notes and reads it. She doesn't move her head but looks up with her eyes, and relaxes when Jake opens the window, but tenses up as he closes it again.

"The day on the porch... he offered to take me away. I didn't know then..." her voice trails off.

Nanuet speaks softly and appears almost as if in a daze. "Ma'e no'oheo'o ma'hahkeso. The Blood Monster, that is what my people call them. I had heard legend of them but did not believe they existed. I do not know much about the stories, but I do remember that it was said they have the ability to change shape into animals, like wolves or bats; that they live off the blood of the living but that they are not alive themselves. They fear the sun, the exact entity which my people worship. Could he really be a creature such as that of the legends of my people?"

Ruby says quietly, "I have never seen him in the daytime."

As soon as Jake walks away from the window and the path is clear Ruby unconsciously goes to the window and opens it, again breathing a sigh of relief at the cool air.

Minerva holds herself as though she is cold and cannot find warmth. "If there is such a thing I do not doubt that he is one or something equally hiddeous. I have never felt such evil before." She moves to close the window unable to tolerate the damp night air.

Ruby reacts quickly, keeping the window open and screams, "Leave the window open!!" She is breathing hard and looks sad that she yelled but does not offer to close the window.

Minerva jumps away from the window at Rubys violent response. She can see that Ruby is paniced and breathing heavily. She tries to calmly reason with her. "It is cold in here and I do not like the thought of evil eyes watching us, Ruby. I would feel better if we could shut the window and draw the curtains.”

"Curtains aren't going to stop anything. I need the air," Ruby responds stubbornly. "Put my wrap on if you're cold."

Chester says, "How can we defend ourselves against something that can cloud our minds like that? What's to stop him from coming back later to take Ruby away? Kate, maybe she can stay with you at your new house. Turner probably doesn't know about it."

Kate shook her head. "There's been a lot of activity around the house the last few days, it's possible he could know. And he has been inside my mind as well. To leave Ruby and I alone together...." She looked up at the others. "Did you really think I would try to get Jeff to let them leave in my right mind?"

"Do you think he is inside your mind now?” Chester asked. “If Turner can read your mind whenever he wants, it'll be hard to make plans. Do you know if you can block your mind to him? Or is he too strong?"

"I don't know. I wish I understood what he does, how he subverts your will, but I don't. I can go to the library and do some research later tonight. Perhaps my teacher may have some knowledge."

"Nobody is staying alone tonight, propriety be damned!" Everyone turns suddenly to face Jake who up until now had been composed. "Everyone has heard what is going on, unless there is more to add we go looking for help right now. We need to know what we are fighting, how to fight it, and how to rid someone of its influence. So, we all go together until someone has a better idea." Jake says in a tone the hints that he does not really care if someone has a better idea. "Who do we go see first? Gonzalez, Jiminez, or are there any priests or yours still in town Minerva?"

"I'll need to ask Mr. Gonzales to keep Ginnie with him after dark. It won't be so bad for her as the problem with Ringo, at least she'll be able to go about in the day," Kate said quietly.

"We should get out of town after we see Mr. Gonzales." Ruby turns to face Jake and steps towards him, "Let's go where we went Sunday night, please baby, that was so nice...nice and fresh..."

"Perhaps that is the right thing to do. I hope you don't mind company there." Jake winks at her. "I'm bringing everyone where ever we go."

"Nooo Jake..." Ruby starts to protest with a whine.

"Jakes right, nobody should be alone tonight, especially those who have been under his influences." Nanuet adds, "Maybe we should try to find out where this Colin Turner has been staying? If he's staying in town there might be some clues."

"Yes, you are right. We need to ask about him,” Jake says.

"Maybe somewhere else would be better? Somewhere not suggested by Ruby,” Kate said.

"What does that mean?" Ruby asks, crossing her arms.

"It means you and I have both had this man in our minds. I know what the compultion to do what he wants feels like. It doesn't go away until you either do what he wants or it becomes impossible. And we don't know anymore about it than that. Everyone should be careful of suggestions from myself as well. I don't feel him in my mind now, but I don't know how he does it or when..... When I might betray you all again."

"We will listen to Ruby, and decide later. She could be right," Jake says crypticly.

"Since no one has a better suggestion we start with Gonzalez. Gather your equipment if it is here, we don't know when we will be back. Minerva," Jake takes the dagger he stabbed the monster with off the table, finishes wiping the blade with the hankerchief that is already soiled with the fiends blood and folds it so the stain is not visible through the cloth. "Take this for now please. Somebody might need to see this in our travels." He hands her the crumpled cloth.

Nanuet tries to comfort Minerva sensing that she is still troubled by the situation, specifically the corrupting touch of the creature upon her.

"Well, Jake seemed able to hurt it, his knife had some affect. Bring your weapons and anything you need for sleeping. I can stay up most of the night and keep an eye on things wherever we go."

"You heard Nanuet." Jake says smiling. "Here Chet, take this Bowie knife. It's too big for Ruby to be lugging around. She's got the nice one the Cowboys donated. We can stop by the boarding house and get your guns, Minerva, on the way to Gonzalez place."

Minerva gingerly takes the cloth being careful not to touch the part that was in contact with the monster. "I feel so helpless, I wish I knew who we could turn to for help and I am not powerful enough to confront such evil. I don't think that Bishop Papandraus is still in town but I will ask Senor Lacey if he knows where I might find him he is the Deputy Administrator of the Church in the Arizona,Territory. I will look through my books also and see what I can find out about such an abomination."

"Just let me grab my things before we go," Nanuet says.

Nanuet brings Minerva to his room so that he can pack his things. He leaves the bow behind but takes the new Peacemaker with him along with half of his magical ammunition. He also brings his rifle and bola with him. He gets a blanket and wraps it around Minerva. "This should help keep you warm. You were brave tonight, I am sure the others appreciate it. Hopefully Jake scared this guy away."

Back in their room, Jake comes up close to Ruby and whispers in her ear, "You just bring your will to be with me, alive and warm."

"I've got that in spades baby," Ruby smiles. "I'll go downstairs and tell Maria to make us some food. "I'll be right back."

Finally I have a good idea.. It won't be so bad out in the fresh air, it's so cramped and stale in here. But the cool wind blowing in my hair, that will feel nice and to be out of this town where he is...

"Hold on girl, do I look like a pack mule? Give me a hand with some of this stuff going down stairs." No way you are getting out of my sight.

Ruby turns her face back to Jake and innocently says, "Since when do I help you carry stuff?"

"Since I don't want to have your beauty out of my sight. Since when do you question everything thing I say?" Jake says with a smile while handing her the shotgun and the Spencer rifle.

Ruby laughs, "I guess since today." She grins back and takes the guns as Jake hands them to her. "You'd better bring the tent too, in case someone wants some privacy." She continues to grin, the thought of being out of the town lightning her spirit. "Let's hurry and get going."

Jake follows Ruby down to the main floor and lets her speak with Maria. He goes over to speak to Jeff. "You are pretty close to Job Kane. Do you know if a Colin Turner was related to the widow woman that Kane is seeing up in Wilcox?"

"Can't say that I recall either one saying anything about a Colin Turner. I thought Turner was a travelling business man, one of those slick salesmen types. I remember him coming in here a while back.”

"You remember anything else? What he sold or anything?"

"Sorry boss, can't say that I do. I don't really care for folk like that and their slippery tongues."

Jake laughs, "Ok, I know what you mean." Pretty ironic there Mr. Mills. "We'll be gone for I don't know how long. Keep things under control. You don't know where we went."

Ruby heads into the kitchen with Maria. "Now, we need a big basket, well, a pack full of food, in case we get hungry tonight."

Maria furrows her brows, "You go out after that man come here? Don't be loco, you stay here."

Ruby reassures her, "It's alright Maria, we're all going to stay together. I'm even going to take my puppies. See, we're just having a little party really. Now put together something fantastic please." Ruby gives her a dazzling smile and realizes that she isn't the slightest bit hungry, even though she hasn't eaten most of the day.

Ruby stays in the kitchen with Maria and while she packs up cheese, bread, Stanley's cookies and other various items. Ruby heads into the pantry. She knows that Niles keeps a small stash of liquor in the closet in case they need it quickly. She searches through a few bottles, trying to decide which to choose and in the end throws all three into the bag with the food.

Ruby steps out the back door and calls to the pups. They don't come and after a couple of minutes of calling Ruby starts to get nervous. Finally they come bounding around the corner and run up to her. She breathes a sigh of relief, squats down and kisses both of them before heading back inside to finish waiting for Maria.

As Chester packs in his room he hears a light knock on the door and a soft swet voice, "Chet.. Chester are you here?"

He stops what he's doing and opens the door. "Clarisse, how are you?"

"Hello darling." She stands on her toes and waits for Chester to kiss her. After he does she smiles, "I'm good. But I heard there was some commotion here earlier. Is everything alright?"

Chester holds her hand. "Have you met a Mr. Colin Turner? It appears that he has his eye on Ruby."

"I don't think I've been introduced to him. Is he a customer at the Lucky Lady?"

Clariesse shrugs. "And so what? Many men have their eye on Ruby. What does that have to do with you? I want you to spend some time with me. You're always running off with your friends."

"He's been here a couple times. Be careful around him. He's very dangerous. Some sort of mesmerizing power over people." Chester looks at the wrapped bundle on his bed. "You know, you're right. I haven't been spending time with you. Where do you want to go?"

"Well, where were you going? Why can't I go with you? You always leave me behind when you go with your friends."

He kisses her. "I'm really sorry about that. We find ourselves in dangerous places a lot. As far as where, we don't know yet. Everyone else should be downstairs talking about it. Let's go.".

Kate watched as the others hurried to prepare to leave. She felt useless, untrustworthy, burdensome. And tired. And sick. She sighed and stood waiting by the door to leave.

Nanuet and Minerva meet the others on the ground floor. Nanuet helps pack and carry any of the food.

Chester comes downstairs with Clairesse. "Clarisse is coming with us. Where are we going?"

"Oh, I'm not worried," she smiles, "I have YOU to protect me. My very own Deputy Marshall." Clariesse looks excited, "This is going to be fun!"

Chester takes her by the shoulders. "This isn't a game. People could die. Each of us has come really close. Thanks to the gods that any of us is still here. OK?"

Clarisse looks up at Chester with large, hurt eyes. "What do you mean people could die? I thought we were doing something fun..."

Chester sighs. "Promise City can be a dangerous place, even with the Cowboys laying low. Turner is an example.”

Kate kept her mouth closed. This was a very bad idea. Clariesse had no idea what some of their talents were, and her upbringing could have herself or Ruby dangling from the end of a rope if it was necessary to use them.

"So, we swing by the Comstock house so Minerva can get her stuff and then go speak with Gonzalez? Is that the plan?" Nanuet asked.

"Yes. I'll ask him to come down to speak with us. We can make the table private," Kate said.

Jake notices that Katherine is looking forelorn. He stands next to her, "We can't afford to have you feeling defeated or useless. I need you thinking. You have skills and ways of looking at things we don't. I'm not giving up, and neither is anyone else." He puts his finger under her chin and makes her stand straight. "That is no way of a woman of your stature to look. Figure out how to get Gonzalez to remember the right bit of knowledge." Jake gives her a disarming smile and a wink and starts loading weapons over his shoulder.

"My stature is short Jake," she said, making a poor attempt at humor. "I will do what I can, but you absolutely must be aware. If I start acting out of character, do whatever you have to do to stop me. I was almost ready to use my skills in front of the entire saloon to make Jeff move."

Nanuet and Minerva lead the group over to the Comstock house where Minerva can get what she needs. Minerva grabs Nanuets hand and they run up stairs to her room.She quickly changes into riding clothes and tells Nanuet to rifle through her chest in search of a book on legends. "I know there are stories of monsters in one or two of them" He finds 2 books and throws them in her pack. She picks up her icons and prays to her gods as she packs them along with her vials of holy water and ceremonial oils.

After Minerva finishes packing they all head over to the El Parador. Ruby seems momentarily obvilious to the early drama. They take a seat and wait for Kate to return with Mr. Gonzales.

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
Looking for Help

Ruby orders a whiskey and ends up bringing an entire bottle over for the table. She pours herself a generous glass. "So, where ARE we going?"

"Not sure it matters all that much. If he can change to that cloud and get around that way then he can get pretty much anywhere. If you have a spot that would make you happy Ruby then I am all for it. Otherwise the grove has room for all of us if you don't mind sleeping out of doors."

Minerva grabs the bottle and pours herself a generous drink. "Do you think it is wise to sleep out in the open so close to town? Perhaps we would be safe in a church? Surely such evil filth would not dare enter there."

"Oh no! I don't want the grove I want to get out of town..." Ruby’s smile drops and she starts to pout, "Out of town, we went on Sunday, we know a spot..."

"Let's decide that after speaking with Senor Gonzalez." Jake gives her a warm smile. "I'm going to put the puppies outside before Dorita has a fit. I'll tie them to the porch and keep an eye on them from here so they don't run off before we go."

Jake starts taking the puppies and Ruby jumps up. In a panicky tone, "No don't take them either. What if he comes back and takes one? Or both? Dorita can deal with them for a few minutes."

"They will be safe, I am watching them. I'll tie them inside the door then but far enough to satisfy Dorita."

Jake listens and watches his companions carefully while they discuss plans. He pretends to be busy changing the loads in his weapons to the enchanted ones, which he does but is paying close attention to his friends. He is looking for behavior that is not entirely normal for any one of them.

Kate went upstairs and was gone for about ten minutes. When she came back down she had changed into her riding clothes and was accompanied by her teacher. They sat down at the table and Kate sprinkled a bit of powder into the candle. "There, we can speak freely now."

Mr. Gonzalez looks a bit concerned as he sits down. "So, my Little Sandpiper tells me that you have all found yourself in some more trouble. Or should I say trouble has found you, it seems to track you wherever you go. Tell me what you know and I will see what I can do to help."

Ruby tries to tell her part of the story but struggles with the details, realizing that she can't clearly remember a lot of what happened at the ball and on the porch. She doesn't mention the dream at all.

Jake finally speaks up. He tells what he knows, how Turner held him in place, how he seemed to influence both Ruby and Katherine, and how he turned into a cloud of vapor when Jake wrestled with him. "Nanuet called him a blood drinker or something."

"Blood Monster" Nanuet says, correcting Jake. "My people told stories about them, but I thought they were only legend."

"He's been around town since last week. There was always something odd about him. Almost hypnotic. He took pains to talk with me and Maria, but it's always been clear Ruby was his interest.

I don't know how he touched my mind, but his will subsumes your own. You do what he wants."

Gonzalez listens intently to everyone in turn. "Mind control has always been one of my biggest concerns when it comes to magic. You can't even trust your companions for fear that their will is not their own. Anything else I should know?"

"Some people at this table are under his sway still..... I don't know if he can read their mind too, or only give them direction." Jake looks down at his feet and back to the old wizard. "Do you know a way of freeing someone from his control? Do you know of these creatures and if so, what can you tell us about them?"

Ruby blurts out, "I told Jake to let me go," and leaves it at that.

Kate had been watching Clairesse as they talked. "I'll be right back. Chester, can you come with me?"

They stepped away from the table toward the kitchen and Kate said quietly. "Clariesse is a good girl, Chester, but this isn't a good idea. Ruby and I have talents she doesn't understand. If we use them she could report us to Marshall Berg. Even now, how can Mr. Gonzales speak freely with her there?"

Chester takes off his hat. "I wasn't thinking. She came up to my room just now and said she wanted to spend more time with me. That I'm always abandoning her to go with all of you. I thought we were just getting out of town for a while, until Turner leaves. I don't know what to do."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh with you. And likely nothing more will happen tonight. But at least while we speak with Mr. Gonzales.... I don't know what to do either. Spend some time with her here before we go. But we need to be able to protect ourselves wherever we end up. I will have Mr. Gonzales tell me anything sensitive upstairs. Let's go back to the others."

"You're right. She's led a sheltered life, so I don't know how she'd react to your powers. It took her a while to admit Dionysus was a god worthy of worship."

"You're a Marshall. You know very well what I do is illegal. Just be careful with what she learns about us until you are very sure of her reactions."

"I am. I hope she'll never need to know at all. Because that'd mean trouble. Let's go back to the table."

Gonzalez looks around and notices that Kate has taken Chester in the kitchen. He smiles at Clairesse and then speaks "There are ways, and I want to do some research to see what I can find. What are your plans for the evening?"

"We were considering leaving town while we, ahem, prepared. Our plans are still flexible. We also considered asking the opinion of Jiminez and looking for one of those senior priests if they are still around."

"No we are going out of town tonight." She looks around the table at her friends. "We ARE! I'm not staying here."

Kate and Chester returned to the table. "The ranch house is out of town, Ruby. Or you could always stay in Flint's cave," she said with a little laugh.

"I believe the senior priests have left town. A shame because I still wanted to debate a few things with them. Jiminez is probably a good source as well, and your own priestess seems to have the right idea." Gonzalez says pointing out Minerva's research efforts. "I will poke my nose around and see what I can find, hopefully I will have something for you to work with tomorrow."

Jake sighs. "Gracious, Senor. We will seek your wisdom tomorrow then."

"Chester, can you get help from Rodriguez or someone to quickly determine if Turner was staying in town? Let's walk by the Marshall’s office and quickly stop to see if Jiminez is around." He glances at Ruby. "The spot she has in mind is as good as any."

"Yay!" Ruby claps her hands and actually visibly relaxes with Jake's words. She finishes her glass and considers pouring another one, but instead opts for the bottle. She gets to the puppies where she stops to pet them while she unleashes them from the wall, muttering about how she wouldn't tie them up.

"Alright, then are we all finished here? Can we go now?"

Minerva ignores Jake and continues to read. "Wait, Wait, I think I've found something! There is a legend here about a man so vile that even Hades cast him out of his realm." She reads quietly for a moment and the says, "These creatures drink the blood of their own kind. They have the ability to bend people's wills and can also turn others into creatures like themselves with a bite. It also says that they have the ability to control "creatures of the night"

There must be a way to destroy them" she says and flips some pages. " She reads, "They can not tolerate sunlight and cannot cross running water. Yes, here it! Driving a stake through the heart will kill it."

"Katherine, why don't you go get your equipment and say good night to Senor Gonzalez? Perhaps Minerva would help you gather it up. We'll wait down here for you. Don't be too long."

“Ah, all right,” Kate said. “I'll be back down in a minute."

While they are waiting, Jake says to Clairesse, "What did Mr. Turner say to you?"

"Mr. Turner? I don't believe I was ever introduced to him. If I was it was only in passing."

"So you don't remember what he said to you when you spoke, unintroduced? Some people just don't have the old world manners any more, do they Miss Townsend?"

She looks at Jake, "Is there something you want me to say, Mr. Cook? I don't recall meeting him but if you'd like to refresh my memory perhaps it was possible. I meet many customers at the Lucky Lady and I don't have a good memory like Miss West does."

"My apologies, Miss Townsend, I did not mean to offend. Excuse me, it appears that Miss West is not feeling well." Jake goes to the porch and sits down next to Ruby to await the others.

Ruby ears perk up from where she is standing as she can still hear Minerva. As Minerva reads from the book Ruby is reminded of her horrid dream, of the pain of the bite, the blood flowing out of her, those glowing red eyes over her and her own death, and her knees start to buckle under her. She stumbles outside into the cooler air hyperventiling and can't decide if she should throw up or pass out.

Instead she chooses to fall to her knees against the wall of the El Parador as she guzzles as much of the bottle of whiskey as she can. The puppies stay next to her and sensing her mood growl at anyone who comes near her.

Kate led Minerva and her teacher upstairs into her room, since she couldn't take Minerva into the secret rooms. Once the door was shut securely she asked, "Is there anything else you wanted to say? Away from Clairesse? I already talked to Chester about her being here."

"Good, I would not want her involved,” Minerva said. “She is much to innocent and it is far to dangerous. I have no information to add."

"Dangerous for us, as well. She is a nice girl, but I don't want to be at the business end of a rope if I need to use my skills in front of her," Kate added.

Minerva shakes her head in apology. "It is so different here in America, It was just the opposite where I come from. It was the priests who had to hide their skills not the magic users."

"How perceptive of you my Little Sandpiper. Yes, I wanted to say that there is a chance that the scrolls we made to help fight Ringo may also break the mind control effect. It seems as though he must be present in order to initiate the effect, so if the spell is a success you will at least be free from it until you meet him face to face again."

"I believe Ruby still has her scroll, and I'd hate to take another from Ginnie. Do you think you could do the spell on me now? Or on Ruby perhaps? Then we could use her scroll for me.

Minerva says, “That is a good idea, but we also need to shield you from his control in the future. I tried to break his control over Ruby, but I was unable to do so. perhaps I will have better luck preventing his control. I do not know. I wish I had an amulet that I could give you that would protect you. Perhaps Nanuet will be more help"

"I do not have the spell readied right now, again tomorrow would be a better time,” Gonzales said. “I will be sure to study it then and should be able to cast it on both you and Ruby."

"We'll get through the night. Thank you," Kate said and hugged her teacher. "You'll take care of Ginnie tonight, won't you?"

"Of course. I will see you tomorrow morning and we will make sure your mind is your own again."

The elderly elf left the room and Kate gathered a few things in a small bag before she and Minerva went back downstairs and onto the front porch where the others were waiting.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Departure

Keeping her head down, her hands trembling, Ruby offers the newly arrived Jake the now half empty bottle. "What's been decided?"

Jake takes the bottle and has a small sip before giving it back to her. "Nothings changed. We will convince them to go to our favorite spot. Katherine is gathering her gear. We just want to see Jiminez and the Marshall on the way out." Jake watches the puppies out of the corner of his eye while speaking to Ruby.

The puppies seem tired, but not out of the ordinary. An owl hoots loudly somewhere in the distance and a few drunks wander by, oogling Ruby for a moment, but quickly realize that Jake is nearby for a reason.

Ruby takes the bottle back, takes another huge swig then lets herself fall into Jake's arms. Her voice muffled, her face smushed into Jake's chest, "This has been a really crappy day."

Once they are all together, Chester leads them to the Marshall's office. Jake helps Ruby walk. Once there he takes Chester aside. "Just see what they know about Turner, and ask them to check him out." Jake turns to make sure that Clarisse is out of ear shot. "I would bet more than even money that your girl friend is under the influence of Turner as well. I'm not sure, and don't say anything to her. Just be cautious." Jake steps away from him saying, "Meet us at Jiminez as soon as you are done."

"OK. Turner's sorcery is spreading like the pox. I'll be back shortly." Chester enters the office. Eduardo is there, sitting behind the desk.

"Evening Chet. You're not on duty tonight. What's up?"

"Evening Eduardo. I was wondering if you knew anything about a fellow named Colin Turner. There's something strange about him. People are acting weird around him."

"Can't say that I know him, name doesn't sound familiar. He a resident of town or was just around for the festival? When you say acting weird what do you mean?"

"I believe he a traveling salesman, so he doesn't live here. When Turner wanted to take Ruby away, she didn't resist. That's not like her. And Kate agreed that Ruby should go with Turner. Jake and Jeff Mills had trouble stopping them." Chester goes to the door and locks it. "There were a couple bodies found in town the past couple days. Their blood was completely drained with tooth marks found on their necks. It might be related to Turner. Just a feeling I have. Can you do some looking into where he's staying in town, who he is exactly. I'll be checking myself. Thanks."

Outside of the house that Jiminez resides in Jake asks, "Does any of you have a relationship with this woman?"

Ruby hiccups and shakes her head no. "She did take care of Chester when he got shot." She takes another gulp of whiskey and gazes around the street watching the drunks pass by.

"Yes, I met her during the recent trouble with Aphrodite,” Kate said.

"Please, Katherine, could you guide us through this with her then?"

"I'll take care of it." Kate knocked firmly on Mother Jimenez door and waited for an answer.

Jake continues to make sure he has a firm grip on Ruby with his left arm, but makes no effort to curtail her drinking. He glances at his companions and then all around them. This is going to be a long night.

"Why do they call her Mother Jimijamez anyway? I mean, she's not our mother," Ruby hiccups.

There is no reply from the small hut, there is no light on inside to indicate anyone's presence.

"I don't think she's here, Jake," Kate said. "From what I understand, she has a habit of coming and going. We could try again tomorrow."

Jake just nods. "Let's get Chester and then to the horses."

As they walk back to the Jail Ruby says, "So I guess no one knew the answer to my question, huh? Oh well." As they keep walking she starts singing outloud, trying to drown out her thoughts.

Suddenly she says, "Too tight! You're holding my arm too tight Jake."

Jake stops and looks at her arm, "What is wrong? I was not squeezing."

"Yes you were, look." Ruby holds up her arm for Jake to see the slight but visible red handprint on her arm.

"Oh," Jake replies, "Sorry, I guess I was distracted." He snakes his arm back around his now wobbly lover's waist.

"That's ok," she smiles and tries to also wrap her arm around Jake, "I like this way better anyway."

When they find Chester, Jake says to him, "Clarisse can't come. It is too dangerous for her and for Ruby and Katherine. Take care of it."

They pack up the horses, Jake loads the extra gear on Ruby's horse but keeps his weapons on his. "You are riding with me," He tells Ruby, "your horse can be tied behind someone elses."

"Alright baby," Ruby says, letting Jake push her up onto the horse. She waits until he is safely behind her before she turns back to him, "You just want me to keep you warm! I know it!" She giggles. "Don't forget the bag with the food and other bottles in it. We're going to need that!"

Chester comes back to Clairesse. "I don't know how to say this, Clarisse. You can't come with us. Turner is much more dangerous than we expected. If you got hurt or worse, I don't know what I'd do. If you came with us, I'd be so worried for your safety that I'd be distracted. In a battle, that can be deadly. I'll make this up to you. I promise."

"Chester Martin!" Clarisse huffs, "You always say that. But you always run off." She gets a hold of herself and says softly, "Alright, I understand. Will you please walk me home?"

"I know. I know. I'm really sorry about this. I figured we'd have a chance to rest. But trouble seems to find us." Chester walks her home in an uncomfortable silence.

When they get back to the Boarding House Clarisse takes a step up onto the porch then turns back to Chester. "You know I care about you very much. And I know that you are important and have important things to do. I just wish I was higher on your list of importance." She kisses Chester on the cheek. "Be careful Chet. I'll see you soon."

"I wish the same thing. But this dang sense of duty always hangs over my head. If only trouble wouldn't find us so attractive. I'll be back soon. Don't worry." Chester kisses her passionately. "I'll keep that at the forefront of my thoughts."

When Chester is through with Clarisse they leave, taking their time in the dark. He leads them away from town to the spot far upstream of the mill. The same familiar fertile area of the stream surrounded by the broad leaf trees and thick bushes, the clearing filled with soft grasses. The stream gurgles softly and the wind rustles the leaves on the trees.

orchid blossom

Explorer
A Night in the Countryside

Nanuet smiles as he gets off his horse and helps Minerva from hers. "This is quite the oasis you have found here. It is a beautiful spot, I feel we will be safe here. I have called for Maska to meet us, hopefully she feels well enough to travel, it has only been a few days."

"Yes, we are always safe here." Ruby breathes the cool and refreshing night air deeply. She only waits 2 seconds before she starts pulling off her clothes and throwing them on the ground.

"Uh, Ruby, don't you think.... You're not alone here," Kate said with a blush coming to her cheeks.

"I'm not sleeping in my dress, Kate," she says matter of factly. "Besides I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen women's undergarments before. And besides, uh, besides, it's too nice to stay cooped up in a stuffy dress. I normally don’t sleep in anything but I don't think Jake would like that tonight, would you baby?" she giggles.

Jake forces a grin to his face. "I suppose it would be better tonight to leave your under garments intact." He gives her a wink. It would be nice if that was the only thing I was worried about.

Jake carefully looks around and then arranges Ruby's bedroll in the center of the grasses near the stream. He brings her the bag from her horse, and hands her the half empty bottle.

"Hey, Chet!" He waves the deputy marshall over and speaks quietly to him. "Why don't you make a few stakes with that oversized knife of yours? Make sure at least you, me and Nanuet each have one. Thanks."

"Why? Are we pitching a tent?" He pauses. "Oh, right, for the blood monster. I don't see how a pointy stick can hurt Turner if bullets can't, but I'll get right on it."

Chester gathers a few stout branches and begins whittling the ends. His thoughts go back to Clarisse and how he puts her behind the others. I can't keep doing that. It isn't fair to her to always stay behind, while I go with Jake and the others. But we do things that would bring down the law on us, if people found out. He fingers the badge in his pocket. That's funny. If Berg or Isby had any idea... Chester shakes his head asnd gets back to work.

Jake stands in thought for some time watching the puppies who seem still awake inspite of the late hour. He searches around and selects a couple of sticks. With a whistle he calls them waving the sticks, "Lucky! Mischief!" Their heads snap up and they come bounding towards him. Jake starts a game of fetch with them, making his throws closer and closer to the stream near a shallow wide spot. He then intentionally tosses the sticks just across the stream and watches to see what they will do.

Ruby drops on her knees on her bedroll and takes small sips from her bottle. She looks up to the sky and breathes in deeply. The itchy urgent desire to get the hot, stifling air off her was gone, replaced by the cool calmness of the dark, starry night. She was relaxed now, maybe because of the night, maybe because the whiskey.

She gazes at each of her friends in turn, watching them get their setups ready. Kate had looked pale since earlier back at the Lucky Lady. She still looks uncomfortable as she tries to lay a blanket down. Minerva and Nanuet are quietly whispering something to each other and Ruby strains to hear what they are saying but she is quickly distracted by Chester.

He was whittling wood into some kind of pointy stick. She watches, almost entranced, as he continues to work away. She stares at him intently, before her thoughts are interupted by the puppies squeals.

She smiles widely as Jake plays with them. They both playfully pounce on the sticks after they are thrown. Mischief seems to disappear in the darkness before he comes running back, chewing on his stick. Lucky has a harder time jumping through the grass but not for lack of effort.

The sticks go flying through the air, landing on the far side of the stream. Lucky stops at the edge, slowing pushing her nose in the cool water a few times before proceeding slowly. She gets a quarter way into the stream before the water hits her belly and she turns and heads back. Mischief doesn't even think before splashing through the stream. He quickly makes it across, grabs the stick and shakes his kill in his mouth back and forth before pouncing back to Jake. Panting he drops the stick at Jake's feet and looks up at him with big, proud puppy dog eyes.

Ruby stands slowly, trying not to fall, and comes to Jake, wrapping her arms around him. "It's sssooooo cute, I've never seen you play with the puppies before. I knew you'd grow to love them!" She squeezes his waist tightly before falling into him with a giggle.

"They're fine mutts, that is when they aren't chewing my boots." He struggles to keep his balance. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to shoot them. He sits down, trying not to drop Ruby. The dogs come over and he rubs their fur and scratches them slowly until they calm down and fall asleep.

"They are, aren't they?" Ruby pets the fluffy pups, her hands grazing Jake's as they move over the dogs.

Ruby leans her head back on Jake's chest, looking up at the stars. She feels his regular breathing and every breath calms her more. Occassionally she takes sips of the whiskey but at this point it isn't necessary. Without lifting her head she turns her face up to Jake, pulling his arms around her. She smiles up at him, her green eyes sparkling. "Let's make love baby."

Jake smiles tenderly down at Ruby and fights the pain that rises up from his heart. Who am I holding? Is it the woman that I love that is speaking or the monster trying to catch me off guard? What have you done to my Ruby! Jake hugs her tightly for a moment too long. Damn you Turner! He lays down beside her and holds back the tears that want to spring from his eyes. It is a foreign feeling, those tears that attempt to be released, because Silver Jake Cook is not one for shedding tears. It is a disease, this taint; it is not of her doing. She is sick and needs to be healed. How can I refuse her anything? "Love me Ruby West, there is only you and I in the world."

"I always will baby." Ruby wraps her arms around Jake's neck and pulls herself close to him, hanging over him. Looking deeply into his brown eyes she smiles genuinely at him before giving him a soft but passionate kiss. Jake can feel Ruby's breathing speed up and her heart starts pounding. She throws her leg over Jake and continues to snuggle up to him. She whispers, "Tell me how much you love me and want me and need me..." as she starts sliding his shirt off, her red hair brushing his chest.

"You are the cool water to quench my thirst, the breath that I need take to live, and the source of my love which is as vast and endless as the stars above watching us with jealous eyes." He rests a single finger on her lips. "Now, speak no more tonight and let me feel your warm body next to mine." Jake consciously places his thorn scarred palm against the matching scar on Ruby's hand for a brief moment and then tries to let the rest of the world slip away for a little while.

Though grateful of Nanuet's watchful eye, Jake knows that he will be unable to sleep. He knows he will spend the night with one hand on his Colt and the other on Ruby. His ears will listen to her gentle breathing and strain for sounds of danger. His eyes will wander from her crimson locks to the surrounding clearing in search of movement. The only thing he will long for more than her untroubled face will be the morning sun.

Ruby banishes any remaining bad thoughts from her mind and enjoys every moment of her lover's caresses, responding with uninhibited gasps of pleasure. She tries to elicit the same response from Jake, hoping to releve some of his tension. Soon after she is satisfied and content she melts into Jake, briefly star gazes then falls into a deep calm sleep.

Nanuet makes a bed for Minerva out of bedrolls and blankets. He scouts out the area quickly making notes of any particular points of interest. "I'll take the watch, the rest of you get some sleep. I should be fine till the sun comes up, then we can all rest."

Nanuet turns so his back is to the stream and sits comfortably next to Minerva. He rubs her back and shoulders, occasionally stroking her dark tresses. He hums quietly to himself as he scans the landscape incessantly.

She lays quietly in the soft grass listening to the trickle of the brook and the soothing deep melody of his voice, forcing herself to be brave. She is too distraught to talk and so she pretends to sleep, forcing her chest to rise and fall in a light steady rhythm, as she ponders how much her life had changed… how much she had changed.

There was a time when all she felt was a burning anger. Anger at the prejudice of a world that would torment someone just for being a bit different. Rage at a world that dominated and used the weak for their own selfish gain, And at times, she even felt fury at the gods who allowed such injustice to exist. She had spent a lifetime fighting against such evils and fueling her energies with righteous anger. He anger had always served her well. It gave her power and strength and it had allowed her to serve her gods even when she was angry with them for allowing evil's existence. After her father’s murder it was her anger that had kept her from falling into despair and she stoked it heartily and often like an engineer of one of those steam locomotives feeding his furnace.

There was a time not so long ago when she could battle the monsters of the world without fearing the repercussions of her bold and often rash actions. But everything was different now. She had people whom she loved and who loved her in return, A whole town who counted on her protection from the monsters of the world. This realization doused the flames of her anger as effectivley as water on a fire. “I have too much to lose." The cold terror of what is to come seeps into her bones. She shivers and buries her self deeper in her blanket.

As Nanuet sits and watch he is distraught. An abomination of all things natural, this thing must be destroyed he thinks to himself. He startles as some night creature scoots across the night landscape. He chuckles lightly at his own fright and looks to the stars. He is unsure but one of the clouds seems to him to be moving against the breeze. He keeps an eye on it but decides not to mention it to the others. Not yet, not just yet.

Kate looked around their small camp from where she was curled up under her blankets. The vast sky above made her feel small and exposed, and seeing the others curled up with their loves left her feeling lonely. Back at the Cantina there would be her own warm bed and a family. Ginnie and Mr. Gonzales would be laughing together, or she might be in the kitchen asking Dorita question after question.

If Tom was still here, would they have sat under the stars like this? Maybe on land they had bought for themselves before they began to build a ranch on it? It probably wouldn't have occured to him to ask her to sleep outside. She sighed. She would have liked to sit under the stars with him and feel his arms around her, keeping her warm while a cool breeze blew across her face. Instead she was alone and shivering, not even sure if she could trust her own mind and this time facing a monster that only pretended to wear a human face.

She said a quiet prayer to the stars, hoping that Ruby had wanted to come here of her own free will and they would be safe until the sun rose. After a moment, she added thanks to that prayer for the hope that she didn't have to feel this lonliness forever. She closed her eyes to try to sleep and to try not to think of a man back in town who would have gladly been here with her.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Thursday April 6th, 1882 "Premonition"

Minerva has difficulty sleeping and it is almost dawn before she finally sucumbs to exhaustion. She is awakened soon after by Nanuet as he brushes his lips lightly across hers. "It is time to wake up my spanish beauty." he whispers softly in her ear.

She rolls toward him and with a sleepy smile reaches out to deepen the kiss before she remembers where they are and why. Her eyes fly open and she sits up quickly. "Where is Ruby? Is she safe? is everyone safe?"

"Yes, everyone is safe. Jake must have hurt him bad enough that he didn't want to bother us last night. The day time is our time, he can't touch us now, at least if he is what we think he is. I am glad you got some sleep, hopefully more than the others. I think Jake wants us to go back to Gonzalez, and check with Mother Jiminez again. Do you think you've exhausted your resources or is there anywhere else you can check?"

"I will ask Senor Lacey where the Bishop went and send him a message, but I do not know if he would respond in time. I feel so helpless, Nanuet. I don't know what I can do against such an abomination. He is beyond my abilities." she says throwing up her hands in helplessness. "I called upon my gods twice last night in an attempt to turn the creature away and also to try and shield Ruby from it's evil cohersion, but they did not answer my plea," she says with a touch of bitterness.

"Wake up everybody, not that you all slept too much, but our guardian The Sun is awake now and will watch over us for the day. Let's figure out what we are going to do for here." Nanuet says calmly. He leaves the others to get up and begins tending to the horses.

Ruby goes through her normal morning ritual, stretching and confirming Jake still loves her. She seems to have forgotten most of her cares, more worried about the headache now pounding inside her head.

Katherine woke sandy-eyed and tired. Sleep had been elusive, and the sounds coming from the other side of the camp had made it much more difficult to keep her mind off someone she had been missing. She had slept only lightly, waking at each rustle or snore.

Chester wakes up with bleary eyes. "Morning, already? I just went to sleep." Stretching, he mutters to himself, "I must be getting soft." He says a prayer to Helios and then cleans his firearms. "So, what are we doing next?"

Chester finally asked out loud what the others were asking Jake with their glances. "We go back to Promise City and see Gonzalez, check again for Jiminez, and ask around about Turner." Jake has dark circles under his eyes and blinks against the morning sun until he pushes his black hat down over his forehead.

"I hope we can put bathing on that schedule," Kate added. "I feel absolutely... well, I need a bath. But we can see Mr. Gonzales first for certain."

"Chet, I forgot to ask you about it last night. What did you learn at the Marshall's office?" Jake asked.

"Keep this under your hat, except to the rest of us here. During the festival a couple people were found dead in town. One of them was someone in town for the festival, the other was a new dancer at the Palace. They were both drained completely of blood and had bite marks on their necks. Berg, Eduardo, and Doc Eaton are the only other ones who know about the cause of death. I haven't seen Helen yet, so she doesn't know. Eduardo doesn't know who Turner is. He hasn't seen him around town, but I asked him to keep an eye out."

"Minvera, didn't you say they could turn others into creatures like them with a bite?” Jake asked. “Chet, don't you think we ought to be worried about that?"

"I forgot about that,” he answered. “When we get back to town, I'll ask Berg where they're buried. I hope we get back in the daytime. I don't like the idea of rooting around Boot Hill in the dark."

Ruby sits quietly twirling her hair while the others discuss what to do this day. She doesn't pay attention to most of the talk, uninterested in the details. She tries to remember what happened the day before but the details were fuzzy and it seemed every touch from Jake made them melt further away.

When she gets a chance she says to Chester but looks at Jake, "What are those stick things Chester was making last night?"

"They're tent stakes. According to Nanuet, they're the best weapon against whatever monster Turner is. Just stab him in the heart with one of these."

"What?" Ruby's eyes pop open and she looks shocked. "Stab him in the heart with a tent stake??" Her calm demeanor fades as she stands off the ground and paces back and forth. She looks at each of her friends faces before stopping her gaze on Jake. "If I grow fangs will you stab me in the heart too?"

Chester fumbles the stake he's holding. He stammers, "No. No. If you grow fangs... I mean, we won't let him get you."

Jake seems completely dumbstruck by the question. He stands there facing Ruby, not moving except that his eyes are opened wide and locked on her own. Finally, "If you grow fangs?" Until this moment he had not even considered that he would fail her again. A lump in grew in his throat and his chest hurt. "Don't talk like that," he snapped at her, "I'm not going to let him get to you. Do you hear me?" Who are you trying to convince Mr. Cook?

He turns away from her and wipes his eyes. "Damn I'm tired." He takes a couple of deep breaths. "I didn't mean to holler." He begins picking up their gear to pack up the horses.

Ruby kicks some dirt with her toe, "Sorry Jake."

"We're all tired and cranky. We should get back to town and do our business so we can all get some real sleep while we feel safe." Kate quickly folded up her blankets and tied them behind her saddle, ready to ride.

Ruby stands there watching the weary group pack up their belongings for a few moments. Then she falls to her knees and pets the puppies, who are obvilious to the tension in the group.

Finally Jake says, "All done packing, let's get back to town. We have to try to figure things out before he comes back."

"Oh, we have some time." Ruby's face shows no emotion, and she continues to pet the pups without looking up. "He's not coming back soon."

Once again, Jake seems completely dumbstruck and stands facing Ruby. The only sound is the puppies growls and yips playing with and around Ruby. Jake finally blinks a few times and asks, "How do you know this?"

Ruby looks up and shrugs, "I feel it."

She stops and thinks about what she just said and furrows her brows but says nothing further.

The opportunist part of Jake immediately wants learn everything he can about his enemy through Ruby's feelings. Simultaneously his heart grows cold with terror every time he thinks of that monster having a hold of Ruby, wondering if her thoughts are her own or put there by him.

Jake is tired and his thoughts are getting muddled. He walks slowly over to her, nearly stumbling on a root. He lowers himself slowly to the ground next to her. His face is drawn from lack of sleep; he has not slept well or long over the last several days and last night he forced himself not to sleep at all. Sitting on the grass and patiently ignoring the dogs nipping at him he says, "What else do you feel? Do you know where he is? Is he telling you what to do or where to go?"

Ruby runs her hand gently over Jake's cheek. "Oh baby, you look so tired. We should get back so you can rest. I'll even keep you warm," she smiles softly, "I always feel better when I get to keep you warm."

Looking down at the puppies, she picks up Lucky and hugs her. Jake isn't sure she is going to add anything else but finally she says, "I just felt him coming, I knew he was going to come yesterday. And I felt him when he left, not until very late last night, after we were here and I fell asleep."

She looks into Jake's eyes, "He isn't telling me what to do. Except yesterday when you stabbed him I felt like I couldn't help. I felt so helpless." Ruby's lip starts to tremble and she looks away. "I couldn't call for you, I couldn't help you, even though I desperately wanted to..."

She shakes her hair around her face. "I just feel it. You hurt him and he won't come back right away. But he's angry."

"He's angry!" Jake snaps again and spits. He looks back at her and realizes he is upsetting her. "Sorry." He peers around and all the eyes are on them. He reads concern and fear among the emotions on display in his friends eyes. No, I will be strong for Ruby and for them. I need them and they will work better if I am strong.

He defies his sore muscles and rises, offering her his hand. "Let us go back to town and do what we planned."

Ruby places Lucky down and takes Jake's hand. She pulls herself up and starts to hug him, but only very briefly before she pulls herself away. "I'm sorry too," she spurts, then starts hurrying away from him, rubbing her eyes.

"Ruby, don't..." but she moves away and he is too tired to chase her. He walks slowly to his horse and climbs into the saddle. He postions his horse behind Ruby's so he can watch her.

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
Influence

Jake lets Nanuet or Chester guide them back to town. Quickly he discovers that was a good choice as he struggles to keep his eyes open. Fortunately, his horse willingly follows Ruby's. After nodding off once, Jake wraps the reins around his hand a couple of times and then once around the saddle horn. He is adamant about watching Ruby but with every blink it becomes more and more difficult to open his eyes again.....

Ruby notices Jake falling asleep behind her. She pushes her horse to slow and keeps him next to Jake's. She starts singing softly to keep Jake awake.

When they get back to town Ruby can see how absolutely exhausted Jake is. She announces, "Let's all go rest and meet up after lunch. Then we can continue our chores."

She asks Nanuet to take their horses and she says to Jake, "Will you take a nap with me? I'm tired and want you with me."

"I'm not leaving you alone for a minute." He says groggily. "Shouldn't you see Gonzalez as soon as possible? Wasn't he going to find a way to banish the influence?" Jake rubs his eyes. "Whatever you want."

"Baby, you're passing out. And I'm still tired too," she lies, "And have a headache. Let's go and snuggle properly."

Ruby takes Jake's hand and the group agrees to meet up after lunch, at 1:00 at the El Parador to meet with Me. Gonzales.

As they walk back to the Lucky Lady Ruby starts to say something to Jake but stops herself. I don't want to make you worry darling but I don't believe Mr. Gonzales can help me. Instead she squeezes his hand and leads him to their room.

Ruby climbs into bed with Jake and lets him get comfortable. It isn't long before he falls asleep with his head on her shoulder.

She keeps her fingers moving through his thick brown hair and every once in a while she caresses his cheek or lips. Jake is so used to her touch he does not flinch, he only moves towards her or sighs contentedly.

She sighs as her thoughts run wild, going back to the day she met Mr. Turner though yesterday's fastly becoming fuzzier events. Her emotions can't seem to settle but everytime she starts growing more upset she looks down to her lover lying in her arms and they seem to calm. "I know you'll take care of me," she whispers, before kissing the top of his head.

Ruby's eyes start to close but right before they do they wander to the closed window. She softly slips out of the bed and opens the window. Sliding back in she then cuddles back up to Jake.

She naps for a bit but even when she wakes she stays in her warm comfortable bed where the feel of Jake comforts and strengthens her.

Finally she gently wakes up Jake and they prepare and head to the El Parador to meet everyone for their meeting with Gonzales.

Chester stops by the Marshall's office. Helen Barker is behind the desk. "Good morning, Chester. Your shift doesn't start yet."

"Morning, Helen. Has Mitch filled you in on the the recent murders?"

She says, "Not much. Just that an out-of-towner and a showgirl at the Palace were found dead during the festival. Is there something else?"

"Yeah. According to Doc Eaton, they died from complete blood loss. And their necks had bite marks. The leading suspect is a man called Colin Turner. He's dangerous, so watch your step around him. If you can find out anything about him, tell me or Mitch."

Kate stabled Meribel, making sure to give her plenty to eat and drink before she went inside herself. She walked with her eyes half-closed through the Cantina toward the stairs. Before she could start up she felt a hand on her arm.

"Katherine, are you alright? You look exhausted."

She turned to see Conrad Booth, up too early but still his impeccable self, looking down at her with concerned eyes. "I ah... yes, I'm alright, just very tired. You're up early."

"Some of the patrons from the Lucky Lady came by the Long Branch. They said some kind of creature had been there, and after it left you all disappeared. I was worried."

Taking his hand, Kate led him over to a table in the corner. "We all stayed together last night, out at a place Jake and Ruby like to go. You remember that man, the one who asked me to dance at the ball?" She explained briefly about his obsession with Ruby and his manipulations of herself in pursuit of her.

"Kate, that's terrible. Are you sure you're alright?" he asked, taking hold of her hand.

"I'm not sure, but I'm too exhausted and numb to think straight right now. I can tell you more about it after I've gotten some sleep." She looked down for a minute. "We slept, or at least we tried to sleep outside last night and I wished for you," she said with a blush. "I felt stronger when you held me, and I wanted to feel that again."

Conrad cleared his throat. "I would have come, you know."

She nodded. "I know, but I can't just ask you to run off from your work every other day for me. Jake and Ruby own their saloon, no one is going to fire them. We can't have Kate Higgens getting angry with you." Kate stood up and kissed his cheek. "I must sleep. We'll talk more later."

He held onto her hand for a moment longer, then let go. It was only a few minutes before Kate was in bed and asleep, after spending a few minutes talking with Ginnie. She woke again around 12:30, got herself dressed, then brought her teacher downstairs to meet the others for lunch.

When Ruby and Jake enter the El Parador they take their normal table. Ruby asks Dorita to please prepare lunch for all of them. Jake still looks sleepy so she lets him stay at the table while she gathers some glasses and some whiskey.

Pouring each of them a glass, she says to Jake, "You know, I was thinking while you were napping. I'm not sure Mr. Gonzales is going to be able to help me." She continues hestitantly, "And maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to know when he is coming back."

She notices Kate and Gonzales enter the main room out of the corner of her eye.

"It was just a thought."

"Knowing when he is coming back is valuable. I find the price of that knowledge too dear." Jake gives Ruby's hand a small squeeze but he is unable to give her the reassuring smile he intended.

Used to being able to smile through anything, Ruby does smile back at Jake, keeing her hand on his.

"Afternoon Kate, hope you feel rested. And I trust Ginnie is alright?"

"She's alright, although I was hoping to spend more time with her in the next few days. I thought things would quiet down."

"Mr. Gonzales, have you found out anything that can help us?" Ruby asked.

"Yes my Golden Eagle, I will try to help you. Perhaps you and Katherine would accompany me upstairs?"

"Of course," Ruby responds, standing. "Kate?"

Kate nodded and the three headed upstairs, leaving a concerned Jake behind to wait for the others. Once they were in the mansion Kate went to Mr. Gonzales and hugged him, staying there for a few moments. "Do you think you can help us? I can't stand wondeirng when it will happen again, and worse what I'll do."

"I can try the dispel magic spell. It should work for now, but as soon as he comes back he can easily do the same to you. What you need going forward is some way to bolster your will. That will help prevent him from doing it again or at least make it more difficult for him to succeed at it."

Gonzalez casts dispel magic on both Ruby and Kate. "So, how do you feel? I think you are free from his control for the time being."

Ruby feels the warmth of the spell wash over her and she holds her breath of a few moments in anticipation. After those few moments go by she looks to Mr. Gonzales. "I don't feel any different. Should I? I mean, I didn't really feel that different before, only when he was here I felt like I couldn't stop myself from leaving with him."

"I am sure there were other subtle commands he had given you. From the research I have done it seems as though he can give you commands from anywhere using his thoughts. Anywhere on this plane, but if you were to go to my mansion then he wouldn't be able to touch you."

Ruby bites her lip while she thinks for a moment. "Well, I don't feel differently but I'm sure you know what you're doing Mr. G. I guess I do feel better."

Ruby smiles as she remembers the magic lessons she gave Jake. "How do we make it easier to resist his, uh, power?"

"That is generally more of a divine ability, the strengthing of the will. Perhaps the Spanish priestess or the shaman that is her companion may be able to help with that. As far as knowing what I'm doing, I am still learning every day, but I have a good idea now and again." he says with a wink.

"The shaman?" Ruby furrows her brows. "Oh you mean Nanuet. I forget that is what his people call a priest. I, we, can certainly ask him or Minerva. But I'm not sure why they wouldn't have offered that advice already."

Ruby seems hestitant to continue but does softly, "Mr. Gonzales, do you know what he is? What happened to him? I mean, what's it like being what he is..."

"They may not have offered because they did not know that it would help. I am not sure how much experience with undead they have. As for what he is, he is a rare, powerful, abomination of life. He is the opposite of life, he is unlife and his rare gifts allow him to control others and to add to the ranks of his race. What it is like being what he is? That is something I hope to never learn anything about. I can imagine that it is a cold, lonely existance, losing everything you knew in life. To never again see the sun would be terrible."

"Which could explain why he would want our Ruby,” Kate said. “She is the antithesis of cold and lonely, and there are those who would argue that the sun pales in comparison."

Ruby walks over to Kate and squeezes next to her in the big chair. She gives her a geninue smile before wrapping her arms around the petite woman. She stays wrapped around Kate but her smile is short lived as Ruby returns to her thoughts.

"Mr. Gonzales, if we, I was under his control could he, uh, really make me do things to, uh..." she pauses, and continues softly, "Hurt the people I love?"

"To be honest, I really don't know, but I guess he could really make you do anything he wants. From what I understand, what I know of how this mind control works, you can fight it. You can fight it when he tries to get you to do something, something you wouldn't usually do."

Ruby blinks, then blinks again. She wants to ask how to fight but her heart feels like it stopped beating in her chest and she is already dead. She forces a deep cough to get it beating again as she pats on her chest to feel it pounding. Her face pale she stands slowly and tries to act nonchalant.

"Thanks Mr. Gonzales for your help," she says already heading for the door. "I'm going to get some air and let you two talk."

Ruby hurries out the door without another word. Once she is down the hallway she leans her arm up against it for strength as she stops and tries to settle her breathing. Tears long to come but she holds them back as she places her hand on her stomach. Standing up straight she gets her bearings and breathes in deeply. She unconsciously fluffs her hair and heads back to Jake.

Kate stayed upstairs and talked to her teacher for only a few minutes, holding onto his hand. As they finished up their talk Kate said, "I mentioned this to the others, but I'm not sure how seriously they took me. I will do my best to fight any command Turner tries to give me, but I already know that he can smother my will. If I start acting strangely, do whatever you have to in order to stop me. I would rather wake up with a headache and a few bruises than be Turner's puppet again."

"Well I may not be there if the need arises, but your attitude is commendable. Did this Mr. Turner person leave Promise City? Perhaps you should find out where he is staying and pay him a visit, that may be something that he does not expect."

"Don't you think that's a rather dangerous idea? I could find out where he's staying, but to see him? You just went through the work of freeing me from his influence, if I went to see him I could just be right back in the same situations."

"My Little Sandpiper. One thing you must learn is to stand up to bullies and to face your fears. As Jake discovered with Ringo, you can let him rule your life and force you to live in fear or you can go after him, turn the tables. Anyways, it was just an option. At least you might find out something about your foe."

"I have faced plenty of fears in the last few months. Most of my friends would have been far happier to see me stay behind than to face Ringo with them, and yet I went."

Katherine paused and looked at her teacher. It didn't seem like something he would encourage her to do. Turner had been here when she wasn't. Had talked to Dorita...perhaps he had talked to Mr. Gonzales. She took a deep breath.

"Thank you for your help," Kate said and kissed the elderly elf's cheek. "I think it's best I stay away from Mr. Turner for now." She waited a moment to see if he would try to convince her again.

"Perhaps you are right. I am not sure I meant you personally, but was more speaking about you and your companions as a whole. Perhaps you would like to spend some time in my mansion, where you know you are safe."

"It may be a good idea for Ginnie and I to sleep there, but as long as the sun is up we are safe. Thank you. I'll see you later," Kate said with a smile before she quietly left the room.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Investigation

Chester strolls into the El Parador. He stops by the bar to pick up a mug of beer. He sits at the table with the others. "Have you found anything out about Turner? Helen Barker hasn't heard anything."

Ruby comes down without Katherine, Jake wonders if that is significant. He tries to be patient and gives her a moment before asking, "Was Gonzalez able to help you?"

Ruby looks up at Jake over his glass of whiskey that she is still sipping at.

"Yes, he, uh, helped. And I feel much better," she lies and keeps the fake smile on her face.

Jake looks at her silently and decides to believe her. A few minutes later Katherine comes down to meet them.

"Before you all run off, I thought you'd like some compensation from the Cowboy gang for all the trouble they caused you." He unobtrusively hands Chester, Katherine, Minerva and Nanuet each a small packet of money. "It is $300. I paid our excavation crew about $150 for labor and rentals. I am going to settle with Pierre in a few minutes, he'll get $300 for his loss as well." He hands Katherine a bundle of small bills and coin in a bag. "We had $30 left, use it for Ginnie's school fund or whatever."

"Gracias Senor Jake, I will add a portion of this to the church fund... and I could use some new ceremonial robes, something with more color perhaps," she says with a mysterious smile, thinking about her previous night with Nanuet.

"And some new gowns as well. These past few weeks have been rather harsh on my wardrobe." She chuckles in dark humor thinking of all the all the tears that she has not yet mended and all the blood stains and red dirt that she has not yet had time to wash out of her gowns as a result of the many dangerous activitities that she has been involved in since her arrival in town.

Chester's eyes widen when he accepts the money. "I've never seen that kind of money before. Thanks. I didn't know being a Cowboy paid that well. Getting out is rough though."

"Let us meet back at the Lucky Lady before dinner time and review whatever we have learned. Keep asking around about Turner, somebody someplace must know about him." Jake looks to Chester, "Are you going to tell your suspicions to Berg about the two dead people? If you don't think that is a good idea, find out where the bodies are so we can make sure they don't come back as monsters. We will need to do that before dark."

Minerva shudders at the thought of the gruesome task that lies ahead and says with grim determination "We will need to make sure that that does not happen. I have continued my research on such monsters. We will need to bring stakes with us. I will continue my reading and let you know what else is required when I see you." She turns to Kate and Ruby. “I know that this has been especially frightening for you. It is not necessary for the two of you two participate in what must be done next, yet you should not be left unguarded after dark and I cannot think of a safe place for you if you are not with us." She smile optomistically "However, I have been praying and I am certain that I will have better luck warding you against Turner's influence now that Sr. Gonzales has removed his taint."

"I'm not sure I'll tell Berg what Turner really is,” Chester said. He might think I've been hitting the bottle. But I will tell him that Turner is probably our prime suspect. Doc Eaton should know where the two dead people are."

Ruby gulps but keeps her comment to herself. The thought of stabbing someone through the heart, dead or not, churned her stomach. She wasn't sure if that was normal or still Colin's influence over her.

Ruby continues to smile as Jake speaks but isn't paying attention to what he says. She needs some time alone to think but knows it's going to be hard to get it.

When they are all done Jake and Ruby head over to the National back to deposit the french money for conversion and the gold dust to his and Ruby's accounts. He chats with Paul Stevens a bit before leaving.

Then they stop in at the gun shop to see Pierre and return to him some of the ammunition that was stolen. He also gives him $300 in cash taken from Ringo's gang to help compensate for his losses. "I'll be busy for a few days or so but when I am done my Colt here," Jake pats his fast draw Colt Peacemaker with it's holster hanging low on his right leg, "is overdue for some care by a master gunsmith. I keep her clean enough, but she gets plenty of use. I am loathe to be without her...."

Pierre chuckles, "Oui, monsieur, I understand. When you are ready I will take good care of your prized weapon. You may rely on me." He smiles in a reassuring way at Jake.

"I must sound quite silly," Jake says with a bit of a sheepish grin.

"Oui et no, monsieur. Je comprends." Pierre says with a slight nod.

"Heh. I believe you do." Jake tips his hat to the master gunsmith and departs.

Outside he says, "Let's go back to our place and cleanup." They make their way to the bedroom avoiding any conversations with folks. Before changing his clothes and washing up, Jake shuts the window and then stays away from it so he is not an impediment to her reopening it.

Ruby notices Jake close the window but does nothing.

She dresses for the evening, unsure if she should make herself a target by going on the stage, unsure if she even has the stomach to sing at all. She haphazardly gets ready for the night, not paying close attention to her clothes or makeup. As she dresses she eyes the window but keeps herself near the bed. Her long hair still wild looking she faces Jake.

"I'm going to go look for Colin at the boarding houses. He has to be staying somewhere." Finally she walks over to the window and opens it with a sigh as she gets hit with the cooler breeze. She looks back to Jake, "What? It's hot in here."

Ruby spends the afternoon using her charms to try and get information from the various boarding houses while Jake accompanies her, keeping a very close eye. Most are fairly tight lipped about their customers and several also were unable to keep good records with the festival overcrowding all of them. Ruby was getting fairly discouraged by the time she got to Fly's Boarding House when she finally got a lead. She entered the building to find Janet Fly sweeping the floor briskly. Janet is a bit surprised to see Ruby there thinking she may be looking for something to do with the photography studio but her mood changes when she hears the name Colin Turner.

"Oh my yes, Mr. Colin Turner, such a handsome and charming man. He stayed here during the festival, but he left last night. Roger took care of some business for him I believe, and actually asked me to leave the room alone and that he would take care of it. I didn't think much of it, one less room for me to take care of if you know what I mean. Roger is over at the studio now, maybe you should talk to him about it?"

At that moment Roger Fly walked into his boarding house, looking a bit weary. "Hello my dear," he kissed his wife's cheek and nodded, "Mr. Cook, Miss West. What brings you around here? Run out of space over at that saloon of yours? Seems to be growing every time I walk past the place."

Ruby flashes a dazzling smile and shakes Roger's hand. "Oh no, Mr. Fly, I'm very nice and cozy right where I am..." She glances at Jake and sighs to herself Here's hoping I can stay that way... "But yes, we've been getting very busy and growing, it's a wonderful thing."

"Mr. Fly, I'm wondering about a customer of yours, Mr. Turner?" Ruby bluffed, "We met and became friends over at the Lucky Lady and I'm trying to find him. Any idea where he went? Mrs. Fly says you helped him with some business so perhaps you have an idea?"

"You became friends with that odd bird? That man was the strangest one I have ever met. Here, lets go in the office where we can talk."

Roger Fly leads Ruby and Jake into the office of his modest boarding house and offers them a seat. "Whiskey?" he says grabbing a decanter off a shelf. He leaves it on the desk in front of them with a pair of glasses and continues.

"I figured somebody might come asking about Mr. Turner one of these days, he just struck me like the sort that might get into trouble. Fact is I was glad to see him leave last night, especially with the tip he left me."

Ruby pours a whiskey for her and Jake. She furrows her brows, "What do you mean, odd bird?"

"Well, he booked the room a while ago, not that strange because he had been here before on business, but when he booked the room he requested that the room be prepared with dark curtains tacked to the windows."

He pause before continuing, trying to gauge whether Ruby or Jake thought he was crazy. When they seemed to understand him, he continued.

"Then the weirdest thing was that he had a coffin delivered from the funeral parlor. No idea, why and I didn't ask as he had taken good care of me, paying me up front for everything and tipping me plenty."

"I was definitely confused when he came in last night. Woke me up and told me he was leaving, and asked me to ship his things. Gave me $50 and told me to keep the change."

Ruby and Jake are not surprised by any of Roger's information. Jake barely waits for Fly to stop speaking before he butts in, only slightly losing his cool, "Where did he ask you to ship his belongings?" Jake realizes his jumpiness so he delibertly picks up his whiskey and slouches back in his chair. "You know, it means a lot to Ruby to find him."

"He a friend of yours or something? Not that it matters I guess. Thomaswell, New Mexico; put it on the stage this morning. Should have been on a train out of Tombstone this afternoon."

No emotion registers on Ruby's face with the new information on Colin. Some part of her had hoped they didn't find out where he was but she could see an eagerness and anger in Jake's eyes. She almost felt...sad. Nevertheless they had found where he was and she was positive Jake would want to hunt him down.

She quickly drinks down her whiskey and stands. "Thanks Mr. Fly, very much, for the information. We'll have to get together soon so you can tell me how well you did at the festival." With a smile she nods and heads out to the porch.

She starts walking quickly back to the Lucky Lady.

"Nice going." Jake says matching her pace. "I wonder where Thomaswell is?" Jake takes a few more strides. "You don't want me to go, do you?"

"Well, he said New Mexico, right? So New Mexico is the answer to your question."

She continues to walk a whole block before she answers Jake's other question. "It doesn't matter, you're going to go, right? So what I think doesn't matter."

Jake abruptly stops walking. "Is that what you really believe? Is that how I treat you?" He removes the hat from his head and holds it in both hands in front of him. "You tell me how else I can make absolutely sure he doesn't come and take you away from me and I will do it."

Ruby stops when Jake stops. She reaches out to touch his arm but thinks twice and pulls her hand back. She holds his gaze, looking deeply into his brown eyes, "No," she says quietly, "You don't treat me like that at all. You treat me better than anyone ever has. Better than I deserve too."

She breaks his gaze and drops her head so she is looking at her feet. "I can't tell you how to make it so he doesn't come. I don't know. And if I did...I'm...I...." Ruby kicks some dirt with the toe of her boot, making a little cloud of dirt rise into the air.

"I'm sorry." Her face pained, "I'm really sorry."

"What are you apologizing for?" He crossed the short distance and takes her left hand in his right. "Starry nights and certain love, Ruby West. Don't be abandoning me so soon, forever is a long time." He kisses her hand. "Now, tell me what you are NOT telling me. It could be that I already know."

She is momentarily brought back to herself with Jake's sweet words and a small but genuine smile comes to her lips. She reaches to touch his cheek, "I will always love you Jacob Alistair Cook, that includes forever."

But the moments quickly pass and the feeling fades. "You already know what?" Her confusion is obvious as she locks her eyes on his. She shakes her head then breaks his gaze and glances around the street. "This might not be the best place..."

Jake has a firm grip on her hand, keeping her in place. "Ok, fine." Once again, she locks eyes with him. "What is your worst fear, Jake?"

"Don't I have enough to worry about without ranking my fears and making sure I didn't miss any?" He keeps a gentle but firm hold on her hand as if just holding it can keep her from being lost to him. "I do worry that he will make you work against me to take you away, that he might even be doing so now. Since I won't let him have you so long as I am breathing, there is really only one way for him to have you. I could not stand to put you out of my protection for my safety unless I knew without doubt that he could not reach you. Will you let me hunt him down and destroy him without you? If not, then we are at an impass Miss West."

Jake rests his black hat on the top of his head and takes her other hand. "You believe he will be back, that he will not leave you be. I believe in taking control of our destiny and in improving the odds of our luck. My worst fear is I will fail you again. So what are we to do?"

"Our destiny," she smiles softly, "I really like that." Ruby looks up at Jake from under her lashes, biting her lip. "Jacob Cook, you've never failed me. Ever. I don't know why you think you have."

Ruby sighs as she grips his hands tighter in hers and steps closer. In a soft voice she continues, "Our fears are not so different. My worst fear is something happening to you. Something bad. Something that would take you away from me. And even worse would be me being the one to do it. I couldn't live with myself." She locks her eyes on Jake as her lip trembles slightly. "I know your strengths... and your weaknesses." She lets that tidbit set in. "And you know mine." Quiet again. "We're the best weapons against each other."

"Mr. Gonzales said Turner could make me hurt you and I just can't do that Jake, I can't let it happen." Ruby's voice cracks but she keeps her eyes on his. "So you see why I can't...I have to...," her voice trails off. "I want some time to think but I don't have it. I don't know what to do. How can I leave you? You're everything to me. But how can I stay? You wouldn't stay if you thought you could or would hurt me."

"I can only figure if I leave and go to him alone I might have a chance..." Ruby doesn't finish her thought.

"Yes, but less chance than with help. Why should we waste all that effort, each of us trying to be more devious than the other in getting to that monster first? So he can do his worst to us one at a time? Ruby West if you leave me behind I will still come after you. Doing this on your own and failing makes certain that I would have to get past you to slay that fiend. Then what?" Jake lets the question hang in the air. "Instead, why don't we spend our time making you free of his influence and then finding out how to keep him from doing it again. Instead of us worried about him intruding on our home, we will intrude on his sanctuary. Instead of us running away and looking over our shoulders for years to come we put an end to it. Ruby, when I am convinced we can do this together we go put him out of our lives. Otherwise, you'll have to beat me to him and I won't make that easy." Jake keeps her from pulling away or looking away. "One step at a time, we can do this. WE can do this. How about it? For now we just worry about breaking his influence."

Jake held Ruby's attention with his piercing gaze that she always felt looked right into her. She knew that she wasn't going to win this arguement with Jake, and even more importantly, he didn't understand what she was trying to say or how scared she really was. For once she doubted being honest with him, now he only had more to worry about.

She gives him a reassuring smile, "His influence is gone. Mr. Gonzales cas... did his thing. It's broken, his power over me. I don't know if it will come back or how not to make it come back. He's very powerful, Colin that is."

She grips Jake's hand tighter. "But you're right. We can do it together." She tries to be cheery, "So let's go tell the others and pack for our trip."

"Not so fast." Jake says, "I'm not sure we are packing today, we still need to prepare and plan a bit. If at all possible we need to discover how to keep someone from falling under his influence. Perhaps the priests have discovered something about that."

Jake's face turns grim for a moment. "We will go as soon as we are ready and not before I am certain without a doubt that his influence over you is broken. It is hard for me to say I doubt you, and likely hard for you to hear. I'm not ready to put our future back in your hands just yet. When we go against him I expect the same from you, next time it could be me under his influence. I need to trust you, again, without question because both our lives will depend on it."

The knife in her heart twisted again. Jake was right, it WAS hard to hear he didn't trust her, that he doubted her, even if he had good reason. Her fake cheery attitude dropped. "Then Jacob Cook you have a decision to make," Ruby returns the grim face. "Because you're not going to get what you want." She releases his hands from hers. "Just because his influence is broken now doesn't mean it won't be just as easy for him to do it again. And you're not going to know one way or the other." Ruby takes a few steps towards the Lucky Lady, then stops again. "And what do you mean you being under his influence next time? You're under his influence now. And you've got our future and destiny in your hands."

"No my dear Ruby West, I AM going to get what I want. First we make sure your thoughts are all your own, that is the influence I am speaking about. Then we find a way to make it harder for him to influence anyone of us again, you in particular. Lastly we work out some ideas to make sure that when we next meet Mr. Turner his existance is short lived. That way it does not matter so much if he attempts to control someone." He closes the distance to her again. "I am worried too but I believe we will defeat him. I refuse to believe otherwise." He takes her thorn scarred hand and turns it palm up before putting his palm next to it. "You are wrong about one thing. Our destiny is in OUR hands."

He clasps those hands together for a long moment before releasing her hand. Jake encircles her waist with his left arm and steers her slowly towards the Lucky Lady again. "Now, let us go back to our room where you can close the windows. After which you will look me in the eyes and tell me, with words from your heart, that you feel no compulsion to open the window..." He gives her a slight squeeze about her waist. "...then Silver Jake Cook will tell you some of the ideas he has been thinking about, including the one you just gave him not two minutes ago."

Ruby nods her head and lets Jake lead her back to the Lucky Lady.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases