"Here There Be Vampires" A Promise City, Arizona Story Hour

orchid blossom

Explorer
Jake takes a seat next to Ruby on the train, watching her out of the corner of his eye.

Time goes by and Nanuet notices that Jake has been quiet for the ride so far. As Nanuet continues to watch Jake he also notes that the gambler appears troubled, though Jake masks it when he sees that anyone is watching him. When Jake gets up making some excuse to stretch his legs and heads off towards the back of the train, Nanuet waits a few moments before he slides out of his seat and follows him. Nanuet finds Jake between train cars gazing at the passing landscape.

"Hi Nanuet. You didn't feel like sitting either, huh." Jake says and has a small friendly smile. He coughs and waves his arm in front of his face as the wood smoke wafts between the cars from the shifted breeze. "Ack, the air's not better though."

"Usually isn't downwind from a fire friend. So, you seem more troubled than usual, want to share? I know Ruby has been really out of sorts lately, is that what's on your mind?"

"I usually seem troubled?" Jake laughs and that seems to be more real than the smile he had applied to his face. "Of course it's Ruby, aren't woman usually the trouble that appear on men's faces?" Jake sighs, a sound Nanuet has heard all too often from him of late. "It's bad enough that this Turner guy is after her. Worse that she is so scared that she is behaving erratically and even destructively. I thought I was making progress on preventing her from trying to bolt on me, then out of nowhere Thursday night she.... she.... oh, blast!" He leans on the railing and looks out over the desert landscape as the train is clicking along the tracks.

Nanuet leans with his back on the railing his arms folded across his chest. "Glad I could at least make you laugh. Look Jake, no one knows Ruby better than you, that much I will admit but I at least know that she is still an untamed spirit. I think much of her would be lost if that spirit were to be quelled. I know she is scared, heck, we are all scared, but she'll be OK. We'll all keep an eye on her, we all care about her too." Nanuet pats Jake on the back, then coughs lightly from the wood smoke.

"I know you do. I know you'll all be there for for her." Jake turns to face Nanuet and wipes his check with a hand. "So I should just be worried about keeping Turner away from her, that is all that should be important now." He pauses a moment before he blurts out, "Ruby wants to get married."

Nanuet coughs again, but this time on Jake's words, not on the smoke. "Ruby West? Our Ruby West, the woman sitting on this train, the one that sings at the Lucky Lady Saloon? Are you pulling my leg? When I first met her anything that lasted more than a couple of hours was not on her to do list, guess she has changed more than I realized." Nanuet claps Jake on the back again. "So when's the date?"

Jake's eyes buldged. "There is no date! Don't you be telling anyone this either." Jake wags his finger at the indian. "You have it exactly. Our Ruby West suddenly wants to settle down. No, she doesn't want to settle down but does want to get married. At least I think she does. It was pretty confusing. I didn't handle it very well. She kept coming up with reasons it was good and I, well I guess I came up with reasons why it wasn't. Then she came up with different reasons, and pretty soon my head was spining. I don't think she is mad at me, but maybe she is."

"I think you would know if she was mad at you, I think we would all know if she was mad at you." Nanuet says with a chuckle. "So what's so wrong with marriage? You two are already comitted to each other, you live together which in my tribe would have you married already. Heck, you even own a business together, how much more comitted can you be? What are you scared of?"

"That is what Red said, that I was already married." Jake looks strangely at Nanuet and then shakes his head. "It's complicated. Besides that I could never imagine myself married, what if the special bond that attracts us is disturbed by marriage? I mean, it's not like we are ordinary folks." Jake stuffs his hands in his pockets. "What am I afraid of? That is exactly what I am trying to figure out. I can't imagine being without her and yet marriage seems so... so final. Out of the blue she is suddenly talking marriage. How in Hades did THAT happen. Then she implies that I don't love her enough and that I have doubts about us. Oh, sure, she says that's not what she means, but it is what she said. Marriage would change how people see us, see me. Normally I don't care, but as a husband to Ruby could I still let her carry on the way she does? Folks might start to think I was soft, a pushover not any more dangerous than a milk snake." Jake makes a sour face. "Nanuet, you can't bluff if folks don't think you'll call them. Whether at the poker table or facing another man with his hand hovering next to his holster, if they think Jake has no bite they'll push me. You know its true, many folks won't cross a line with me because I wear this holster low down here and the word is I know how to use it. What happens if the word is that Jake can't control his wife?"

"What if we start taking each other for granted? I see her everyday and think, how am I going to maker her stay with me today? If we were married would I start to feel like I own her? What about her? It always takes more to satisfy her. What is next after marriage? How much more can I give her before she is bored with me?" Jake looks at his left hand. "I've never been a laws and rules kind of person. I have never even imagined what it would be like to be married. Bang! Suddenly she wants me to think it is a great idea?" Jake leans his head back and rubs his eyes for a moment before looking back at his indian friend. "Mierda, Nanuet, what am I going to do?"

"First, you're going to take a deep breath. Once we get out of this smoke that is. Then you are going to find out what Ruby really wants. Maybe she just wanted to get your feelings on the subject. Maybe she really does want to make things official. I don't see how it changes things other than letting the world know Ruby is off limits. As far as how you two feel for each other, I have never seen two people more passionate as the likes of you. I don't know much about what you do to satisfy her, but I can see that you two have the fire for each other. She is a special girl Jake and most men would kill to find themselves in your position."

"Heh," he says in a low voice, "seems like I've done my share of killing over Miss West, and I don't seem to be done." Jake shifts his gaze to the landscape but his eyes don't seem to focus. "She IS a special woman, Indian, there is no denying that. I suppose you wouldn't see how it changes things. All this white man culture is still pretty new to you. For that matter it seems foriegn to me too. I'm confused Nanuet, marriage seems too much like being owned and owning."

"Marriage should be about taking two souls and making one life out of them. It is about sharing your hopes and dreams for the future and about shoring up your weaknesses with another's strengths. It should be about companionship and love. Why do you white men have to own everything? You own land, you own buildings, but you can't own someone's heart and soul. Consider it a blessing should she truly want to share those gifts with you."

Jake stares dumbly at Nanuet while he talks and then for a few moments after before finally, "I don't want to own anyone's heart or soul, nor have mine enslaved either. I want to give it or have it given freely every day. You are probably right that marriage SHOULD be about those things, but in this society IS it about those things? You may have noticed that I don't fit into society very well....." Jake looks back to the landscape. "I do cherish Ruby. I spent the first three months being careful I didn't hold onto to her too tight and trigger one of her frightened flights away from me. Amazing isn't it how fast a woman can change her mind. That girl has my head spinning. Old Caleb White once told me, 'Jake you should always be in love. That is the reason you should never marry'. Back then I thought he was making a joke....."

Jake stands up from leaning against the railing. "Maybe I'm just too much a scoundrel to be a married man. I don't know." He shakes his head. "Seems like Jake doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. I concentrated so hard on keeping her from running away that I had never imagined those words coming out of her mouth. They're out now and there is no taking them back." Jake pats Nanuet on the shoulder and reaches for the door to the train car. "Thanks for listening to this hombre blanco loco raving, indian. Let's get back inside before I get any more of these cinders in my eyes, they'll make me blind."

orchid blossom

Explorer
Nightmare

After the train has been traveling for a while Ruby's head starts to bob and her eyes close.

As the fog in her mind lifts the scene before her becomes clearer. Men and women dressed in their finest dance gracefully around a large fancy dance floor. Swirling, twirling fabric from colorful dresses swings around her; light laughing voices fill the room like music. Ruby tries to focus on a voice, a face but she can’t seem to pin any one down as familiar.

She wanders though the crowd, unafraid and curious. Awed at the beautiful costumes and people, she studies the room. Gilded mirrors and paintings, huge crystal chandeliers, blood red velvet curtains adorn the huge ballroom, with gold brocade velvet furniture lining the edges. She stops in front of one of the mirrors and looks at herself with a cocked head. She is wearing the same off the shoulder cream dress with the golden embroidery she wore in the dream that she and Jake got married. The huge billowy skirt moves around her like it’s blowing in a breeze Ruby can not feel. Her hair is pinned into large bouncy curls that fall over her shoulders, a jeweled clip precariously holding the large red mass in place.

Ruby continues to walk though the crowd trying to figure out where she is when suddenly the dancers part. Standing at the other end is Colin Turner. Dressed in formal evening wear he fits in perfectly with the surroundings. Ruby can feel her heart start racing as the handsome man begins walking purposefully towards her. They lock eyes and everyone else in the crowd disappears.

He stops in front of Ruby before she notices one arm is behind his back. He bows low before her and as he does stretches out his hand to her. In it is a single white rose. Ruby reaches for the rose, then puts it to her nose. The soft petals tickle her and she smiles.

“Miss West, I am so pleased that you decided to join me.” Ruby is confused; she doesn’t remember making any kind of decision to join Colin. But she isn’t scared or hesitant. “Mr. Turner, thank you for the rose, it’s beautiful.” She carefully places the rose up into her hair.

“Oh,” he says, taking a step closer to her, “Its beauty does not compare to yours, but I am glad that you like it. I also have something else for you. Such a magnificent beauty as yourself should be adorned as you deserve.” He takes Ruby by the shoulders and turns her back to him. She is now standing in front of a huge wall covered in mirrors. Again curious, as she was sure they were stranding in the middle of the dance floor, she glances around the room but can not get her bearings. She glances back to the mirror and watches curiously as Colin takes something out of his jacket.

In the mirror Ruby watches a huge sparkling diamond and ruby covered choker being held in front of her. Colin moves her hanging curls to one side and strokes her neck as he reaches the necklace around in front of her holding it for a moment so that she can gaze on it. He gracefully lays the necklace on her torso and fastens the delicate clasp. It hugs her neck tightly but hangs over her collar bone and parts rest on her breasts. Ruby is amazed and mesmerized at the sparkling jewels, only having seen something similar in paintings or photographs of royalty from Europe. She reaches up and touches it tenderly in awe.

Before she can speak he whisks her away to the dance floor. He pulls her close and grasps her waist tightly, and begins to lead her in a dance. Ruby feels like her feet don’t even touch the floor as she stares into his blue eyes. There was something calming there and she felt comfortable.

“Darling Ruby, are you ready to give me forever?” Colin asks confidently.

Ruby answers with a smile, “Forever is a very long time. And besides, I’ve already promised it to another. So if I can give it at all, it’s his.”

Colin snorts, “You mean that boy you spend your time with? He’s not even a man yet.”

Ruby doesn’t get mad or defensive. Rather she answers matter of factly, “He is the love of my life. And there is nothing you can do to change that.”

“Perhaps not.” Colin spins Ruby away from him but never lets go of her hand. He pulls her back to him a bit roughly. “But he can not give you immortality like I can. I would wager he would not even give you the rest of his life. If he planned on it he would have done so already. He does not think you are worth it. But I,” he dips her low to the ground and puts his face close to hers, “I can give you eternity.” He pulls her back up close to him, so close that the only thing between the two of them is Ruby’s arms, thrown between them at the last moment. “Eternity to sing, to grace this world with your everlasting beauty and poise, eternity for you and I to spend together. I know you are worth it. You’ll be my lover and companion for all time.”

He continues to hold her tight against him. “You and I Ruby West are meant to be together. Time will hold no power over us as it does to these pitiful weak people you call friends.”

For the first time this night Ruby tenses up and she tries to wiggle away but Colin is holding her tightly. “I love my friends and Jake. I don’t want to leave them.”

“It is but a small price to pay My Love.” Colin straightens Ruby up to him again. “It is a rare and powerful gift I am going to give you darling. It is worth everything. And those who would try to kill us are indeed foolish and unkind. For they do not try to see us for what we really are, instead letting their fear rule their weak minds. But no more of that talk. I know you already feel for us and understand.” Ruby nods her head slightly, reluctantly agreeing to the truth.

He runs a finger across her chest, pretending to be caressing the jeweled necklace. He looks deep into her eyes before leaning in and planting a passionate kiss on her. She resists at first, but only briefly before giving into to the passion and desire overwhelming her against her will. Sparks practically fly between them as they kiss and he holds her tight. Ruby loses her breath and gasps for air when Colin finally frees her.

He only gives her a brief moment before devouring her with another consuming kiss. His lips wander down her neck as she gasps again, his hands still holding her tight. Ruby's knees buckle slightly and she wilts in Colin's strong arms. A sigh escapes her lips as she can feel his touch on her slender neck, a sigh that turns into a muffled scream as his sharp fangs pierce her neck.

Ruby can feel the warmth of her leave as the blood flows from her, her heart starts slowing as does her breathing. Her panic fades into ecstasy as Colin continues his assault on her. Her body writhes against his as unknown and overwhelming feelings course though her. Even as she grows weak and cold the emotions in her grow stronger.

Finally he sets her down on the middle of the dance floor, her gown spread out around her. The crowd has gathered around them and Ruby can see they all have glowing eyes and fangs, all happily watching her die. She tries to move but finds she can’t, she is too weak. Colin looks over her adoringly as he pushes some hair off her face. “My Love, you must die to have life, a life that will never end. Do not be afraid, for it will not be long before I return for you.” He leans over and kisses her, and Ruby feels the matching coldness of both of their lips, a coldness that shoots straight to her heart.

Suddenly he was gone, they were all gone and she was alone. The only sound was the slowing beat of her heart. Ruby closes her eyes, about all she had strength left to do. Now she was frightened of what was to come. Choices she had made in her life flash before her, her regrets come to mind. Her dark thoughts start to fade when she hears a noise.

Someone lifts her head off the ground and strokes her hair off her face. She fights to open her eyes and finds all her friends standing over her. Minerva and Nanuet both have tears streaming down their faces while Katherine stares blankly, a void in her eyes. Chester is praying fervently. Finally she focuses her eyes upwards. It was Jake, her Jake, holding her head off the ground. He stares at her but no emotion could be seen in his ever present poker face.

He leans forward slightly and Ruby can feel his fingers gently parting her lips. She tries to smile at him thinking he is caressing her but her gaze is met with something in Jake’s eyes, a pathetic and determined look at the same time. Confused as she look at him she hears Minerva gasp and say, “By the Gods, she is one of them, she is growing…” Her voice trails off. Growing what? Ruby thinks but can’t get the words out.

The faces start to grow fuzzy as Ruby’s vision blurs and she gasps for air. Her head is placed down on the floor and all she can see is Jake. He kneels over her and kisses her cold lips. She looks into his eyes, trying to convey the love she feels for him. As her very last breath is inhaled she sees Jake raise his arms over his head and only at the last second does she realize what he is doing. The stake pierces her heart and she lets out one final agonizing cry as her lover ends her life.

Ruby bolts upright in her seat, her panicked cry startling everyone in their car. Drenched in sweat, her hair sticking to her forehead she immediately jumps to her feet and frantically gets into the aisle. She trips and falls, landing on her hands and knees as tears stream down her face. She quickly picks herself up and runs through the train cars, car after car, ignoring warnings and proclamations of areas being off limits.

She continues to run until she can’t run anymore, making it to the final car and the small little porch on the back of the train. She grasps the railings as the wind whips around her and she slides onto her knees, her back to the door, her tears flying off the train and into the dirt between the tracks. She sobs and sobs and finally cries out, “What have you done to me, you bastard!”

orchid blossom

Explorer
Jake has just returned with Nanuet and hadn't even sat back down with Ruby when she bolts right by him. He is momentarily stunned.

Chester follows the advice given to him in the army, get sleep whenever you can. As he drifts off with his hat covering his face, Ruby screams. Chester's eyes open wide. "Are we under attack?" He looks out the window, but sees nothing there. Finally he realizes Ruby has bolted. Blast it. She might hurt herself. Chester follows the panicked woman to the rear of the train. "Ruby, what is it? Is it Turner?"

Nanuet was also startled by the scream as was everyone in the car which was about 2/3 full. He saw Chester get up to follow her and his eyes went to Jake. "Is she OK? Should someone else be following her?"

"She is not OK." Jake steps out into the aisle. "But I don't know what in hades to do about it. If she is going to jump neither one of us could catch her anyway." He moves quickly through the cars and around the disarray she must have created on her way.

Ruby doesn't turn to face Chester. "Leave me a-alone Chester, p-pleasse," she sobs, her head leaning up against the railing. "I j-just want to be alone."

Chester stands in the doorway. "And I don't think you should be alone now. You're scared and you probably feel like no one can help you. But, please, let us help. It kills us seeing you like this."

Ruby stands and faces Chester. With fire in her eyes she says forcefully, "You can’t help me, no one can. I want to be alone right now." She pulls the wind whipped hair off her face as the tears continue to stream, "I won't jump, if that's what you're thinking. I know you don't understand but I just need to be alone."

As Ruby and Chester talk the door opens again and a man wearing a dark blue uniform sticks his head out. He yells in order to be heard over the sound of the train and the wind.

"Everything OK back here folks? I don't want to be causing any problems but we ain't supposed to let you stay back here, not exactly the safest spot on the train."

As Jake arrives he sees the man in a dark blue uniform speaking to Ruby and Chester. Ruby is facing towards him and Jake can clearly see the tears on her face. Jake taps the man in the uniform on the shoulder and whispers, "That man is a deputy marshall, I'm sure he can handle this."

"Oh, uh sorry, I didn't know" the man says sheepishly.

Ruby narrows her eyes at the man, "Go away! We wouldn't be out here if we didn't need to be."

The man jumps and stammers as he speaks. "Oh, uh... well... sorry, just erm... trying to do my job." He then turns around and squeezes past Jake and quickly makes his way back towards the front of the train.

As the man leaves Ruby spots Jake. Her mind runs as she tries to decide to also send him away or try to explain... try to fix things...

She wipes a couple tears off her face then looks at Chester. Speaking softly she says, "I need to talk to Jake now. Thank you for being a good friend." Ruby gives him a quick but heartfelt hug then pushes him on his way while making eye coontact with Jake through her tears.

Chester says, "You're welcome, Ruby. We're all here if you need us. OK? I don't understand why you want to be alone right now, but that's your choice." Chester moves past Jake on his way back to their railcar. "Hey, Jake. Ruby had a nightmare or something. She wants to talk to you."

After Chester squeezes through Jake moves outside with Ruby. "My eyes were bothering me because of the cinders from the engine. I'd wager that's not what's bothering you."

Kate stared at Ruby like everyone else in the car. A buzz of conversation started as she tore down the aisle. Kate was halfway out of her seat before she remembered she was not herself. She turned the movement into an incredulous stare and forced herself to stay in her place. A moment later Chester took off after Ruby and Kate breathed a sigh of relief.

A minute or so later Chester sits down next Nanuet and Minerva. "Whew. Ruby should be OK for now. Something must have really spooked her. Do you know what it might be?"

"No idea Chet,” Nanuet answers. “She was sleeping and then woke up with a start. Perhaps a bad dream?"

Madeline stood up and approached the seat where Miss Florencia, Chester, and Nanuet were sitting.

"Pardon me," she said with only the slightest twang in her voice. "Is your friend alright? I have some laudanum if it would help her."

“Gracias, Senorita. Your kindness is appreciated. I do believe that the young lady's escort will be able to calm her down. She is just a bit high strung. Perhaps your laudanum will be of benefit to her when she returns. Please do join us." she says for the benefit of anyone who may be listening as she moves over to make room for Kate.

Nanuet adds, "Thanks for the offer ma'am, but I think she'll be alright. Probably just needed some fresh air, maybe a bad dream or something not agreeing with her stomach. I imagine she'll be back shortly."

"I'm glad to hear it's nothing serious," Madeline said with a charming smile.

Chester looks up at "Madeline." "Good afternoon, miss. She should be OK now. Her friend is seeing to her. She just needs some air. have a seat. I'm Chester Martin and these are my friends Nanuet and Minerva Florencia. And you are?"

"Well, aren't you just the sweetest thing?" she said and took the offered seat. "I'm Madeline Anders, but you can call me Maddie if you like. I just love trains, don't you? Where are you headed?"

At this point a man walks through the car announcing that lunch will be served in the two dining cars, one which can be located several cars to the front the other two cars behind them. He also announces that they are right on schedule.

"Well, that's good news, isn't it? I have a little basket for my lunch but I think I just might treat myself and buy my meal." Kate chatted lightly away for a few minutes until the other passengers went back to ignoring the group. She kept the light tone of voice but spoke much quieter. "Is she really alright?"

Chester whispers back, "Not really. She's still shaken up about her dream. Jake's back there, though. She wanted to be alone for a bit."

"It must be terrible for her. It's not like the other troubles, we could see how they started, and no matter what else was happening, they were only men. This thing wants her, and she did nothing to bring it about. We have to finish this quickly." Kate had been learning forward, but when she finished talking she sat back with a big grin and looked around the car.

Nanuet listens to the conversation but doesn't have anything to add. When "Maddie" sits back he fidgets in his seat a bit and then says. "Well if any of you are hungry just go along, I think I'll stay here till they come back, you know just to make sure they are OK."

"Well, you let your friend know that she's welcome to my Laudanum if she wants it. I think I'll go and get some lunch," Kate said with a sunny smile. "It was just charming of all of you to let me sit with you for a while. I love meeting new friends."

orchid blossom

Explorer
Ruby wipes her eyes again then pulls Jake's hat off his head. She sinks to her knees, leaning on the railing for support. She twists the hat in her hands for a bit, "Your lucky hat, it's been pretty lucky for you."

She looks up at Jake sheepishly, "I had another bad dream."

"I told you before, the hat is just for show. The real luck comes from a lady I know." Jake sits cross legged on the platform as the train continues to clack on down the tracks. "Want to talk about your dream?"

Even through the tears Ruby lips can't help but turn up at Jake's comment. She twists it a few more times before hugging the hat tightly against her chest.

"The dream?" she gulps, "The dream was horrible. I was wearing the nice dress. I was lost but I wasn't scared. Then he was there. He gave me jewels and I liked it. But then Colin he... he... made me like him. But I had to die first. But before I did you..." her voice trails off. A few more large tears roll down her cheeks before she looks up at Jake, "You put a stake through my heart." She looks down at the hat, sobbing again.

"I did that?" He is quiet and and let's her cry for a the span of several of his carefully controlled breaths. "I don't blame you for being upset, that is horrible."

"Y-yes it was, is, is horrible." She looks up at Jake again with wide, red eyes. She says softly, "Would you do that to me?"

Jake's face goes pale. "I...." He wants to look away but forces himself to look into her eyes. "In your dream he made you into one of those... blood monsters?" Ruby nods. Jake takes a long slow breath before he answers, "I don't know." There is another pause. "Would I do that to you? Or would it be for you? Ruby, I don't know if I could be strong enough to do that."

Ruby breaks Jake's stare and looks down at his hat held tightly against her. Her damp hair covers her face but the wind lifts it back every few seconds. "I think you would do it, you would kill me. I think any of the others would do it. Because you think I'd be a monster too." Jake can see the tears fall off Ruby's face and land on his hat. "I'm so ashamed Jake," Ruby sobs, "I don't want to kill him. In my dream, I wasn't afraid. Maybe I even liked it. And I know telling you this, you won't understand, you'll think I'm crazier than ever." Then Ruby is quiet. She doesn't make any moves towards Jake; she stays unnaturally still, still as a statue except for the tears falling.

"You liked it?"

Ruby slams the hat down on the ground, "That's not the point!" Surprised at her own outburst, she quietly returns the hat to its spot against her chest. "I'm sorry Jake." She wipes more tears off her face. "In my dream, it was like I was actually experiencing it. It was like... er... it hurt at first... and then it didn't."

"Ruby, I... what are you telling me?" There is no poker face; the confusion is clear on Jake's face.

Ruby leans her forehead up against the back railing of the train. Looking out over the landscape moving quickly away from her, she sighs as the wind continues to whip her hair and dress around her. Every rock and tree they past brought them closer to him. Without taking her gaze off the passing lands she says softly, "I don't know what I'm telling you. You asked about the dream. This is why I didn't tell you about the other one. I don't know what is going on; I don't know what to say. I think I'm going mad." A couple of fresh tears fall into the wind and are carried away.

"So tell me all about it and we'll go mad together." He tries to give a reassuring smile but doesn't quite get it right.

She turns her head to face him but continues to lean on the railing, "Tell you all about what, the dream?"

Jake sighs. "Ruby, I want to understand. I want to help. I don't know what to do. You need to help me help you. If I can't figure out what is going on, I won't feel safe with you in Thomaswell. You won't get off the train in Albuquerque. I won't pretend to you that I am doing this to save the world from Turner. Maybe the others are saving the world, but not me. I am doing this to save YOU from Turner. To save you for me. Now, explain it to me as best you can." Jake reaches out and touches her hand.

Ruby forces herself not to pull away from Jake's touch. He notices her flinch and she looks at him sadly, "Believe me, I'd rather be in your arms right now but given the circumstances, that I don't know what's wrong with me... it might be better..."

He pushes his hand against hers and holds it there. "No, I don't give up that easy."

Ruby grips Jake's hand in hers. She sighs and then tells Jake about the dream. She looks pained at some parts and embarrassed at others but she does tell him the whole thing. "I don't want to die Jake. And I don't want to not be able to... get rid...of Colin Turner. But what if I'm the one in his place when he's gone?"

"I will not let that happen. I won't believe anything else."

"Well then Silver Jake Cook, you are a fool to not prepare for a likely scenario. It's not like you to not consider all the odds." Ruby goes back to looking off the back of the train.

Seeing Ruby like this was hard enough. Knowing the danger she was in was worse still. Jake's precarious control of himself was nearly destroyed by her words; they felt like a physical blow. How can I consider that I would fail you again? The thoughts echo loudly in his mind. An image of him standing over Ruby with a wooden stake forces its way into his consciousness. He shudders and forces it away.

"I don't know why or how, it started after the first dream I guess. I can understand what it's like to be him, I can feel it. He was just a man, just like you. It's not his fault the way he is. And even though he wants to take me," she shudders, "It's because he's lonely, not because he's evil." Her eyes slowly meet Jake's, so afraid of his reaction. "I'm trying to be honest and tell you the truth. I don't know why I feel that way. And don't get the wrong idea, I don't want him to take me," she starts to break down again, "I don't want him to take me away from you. But I don't know that you can stop him."

Jake swallows hard. He unconsciously pulls his free hand towards himself in his lap. It is clenched tight. He finally says in a quiet and unthreatening way, "It will have to be enough for both of us that I know I will stop him."

She pauses, afraid to continue. "There is something else. In the midst of all this it seems stupid..." An even more pained look comes to Ruby's face and she grips Jake's hand tighter in hers but she doesn't look at him. The tears had lightened but now they fall more steadily. "Are you going to leave me now? Because you don't want to marry me? I mean because we're never going to get married?" She gulps hard and waits for the answer nervously. She whispers, "I need to know."

"No, I'm not leaving you. I was afr..."

A sudden explosion of words comes from Ruby as she continues to cry. "Minerva says you adore me, that we're already married, that Venus says it's so. That I'm being unfair to you." Ruby shakes her head, her hair still flying about in the wind. "She's right. I told you a long time ago I don't know how to be a girlfriend. Definitely not someone's wife. I have rarely trusted anyone in my life and I'm finding it hard to let that go. I trust you but those distrustful thoughts keep coming back. I don't want to run away from you but those panicky feelings keep coming back. It's not YOU it's ME. I stupidly thought getting married would free me from those feelings I don't want to feel anymore. They make me so unhappy now." She wipes at her face again, smearing the tears across her cheeks. "But most importantly that I love you and want to be with you forever, to wake up with you next to me every morning and go to bed with you every night. I was foolish to think a silly promise would change things for me or make me feel more secure."

Ruby gives Jake a small smile as she finally looks back at him, "You're great Jacob Cook, you're perfect. You do everything right. You spoil me, you know exactly what to do and say to make me happy. You ARE my knight in shining armor. It's not fair to you that I'm such a mess. I shouldn't have said anything but I did and like you said, you can't put the cat back in the bag." Ruby gulps, "I ruined us." Jake opens his mouth to speak but Ruby doesn't let him interrupt. "You can argue all you want. I know it's the truth. Besides, you weren't so sure about us anyway, not with not knowing how we work, with us both being lightening and you waiting for the dynamite to go off, and not in a good way."

Ruby looks weary as she continues to speak. "So we go and find Colin Turner and take care of that problem. And if I make it back then I guess we have to decide what to do from there. I was thinking of taking a trip. A vacation, so to speak."

The words that he had said in his panic came back to him twisted and misunderstood. It gave him a tangible pain in his chest that his words had caused her so much discomfort and distress, especially now that she so much needed and deserved solace and reassurance. "Yes, we go and take care of Turner. WHEN we make it back, WE will entertain ourselves without a care in the world. Nothing but you and I. Then you will look me in the eye and know that there is no one else for me. You will see that and you will know."

A sudden rush of love and passion overcomes Ruby and she drops Jake’s hat to the ground. She moves rapidly towards him and taking his face in her hands kisses him passionately. Then she wraps her arms tightly around his neck. She puts her nose to his neck, and sobs, letting her tears fall until they can’t fall anymore. “I’m s-so s-sorry, s-sorry about all of t-this. I wish I-I could make things better.”

Jake holds her quietly for a while, just letting her cry. "I know. It is not your fault. We will make it better. All of us." He continues to hold her and stroke her hair. The train continues to clatter down the tracks. "Ruby," Jake keeps his hold on her so she does not look up at his face, "I'm not leaving you during or after this. Do not worry about that. If I can't bring you safely into Thomaswell, if you would provide aid to him in taking Ruby West away from me then we would need to part briefly while I deal with him. I know you said you don't think of him as evil, but he kills people for food! He forces his will on others, transforms their lives to darkness to suit his own needs. He seeks to soothe his loneliness with marionettes that were once living, breathing people. I can only see him as my enemy. It is no different than how I came to see Ringo. I'm sure there was a girl somewhere who loved Johnny Ringo. I'm sure Ringo had a family that had high aspirations for him. Not to me, he threatened harm to you and therefore was a monster." A brief flash of the moment when Jake read Ringo's thoughts and saw him fire the round with Ruby's name on it races through Jake's mind and his speaking falters. "You called me a fool for not having taken the odds into consideration. You are wrong because I have. You see, if somehow he did manage to get to you and turn you into... into something like him..." Jake swallows hard, "I would not be there to end your suffering. Don't you understand Ruby, that he will have to kill me to get to you?" Still holding her tight to himself, Jake takes a couple of long breaths before finishing, "I am looking forward to living and to enjoying life with you when we are through in Thomaswell. That is why I need to be absolutely certain of what my lover is capable of doing before we get on the stage out of Albuquerque."

“Oh Jake…” Ruby holds on to him as tight as she can. The thought of Colin getting her was one thing, but of him killing Jake to get to her, that she couldn’t bare. Ruby knew she could and would do anything to make sure that didn’t happen. “I won't let him hurt you, I couldn't live with myself.” She uses the back of her hand to wipe her nose. “I’m not letting you go without me.” She keeps her arms around Jake’s neck but pulls her head back to look at him. “What do you want to know, what do you need me to do?”

"I do want you with me. I want you near me and I need your support. Let me think some more." He looks down into her eyes finally. "If you are willing to confront this with me, if you can trust enough to share whatever I need to know then for now let us go back to the others and rest. We'll all get off together in Albuquerque. You and I will resolve this before we board the stage." He wipes her cheeks with his shirt sleeve.

Ruby sniffles and shakes her head up and down in agreement. She closes her eyes as Jake wipes her cheeks, any touch from him comforting. She was exhausted and afraid to sleep but felt surer of Jake than she had in a while. And she wasn’t going to let anything happen to him if she could help it. Through her tears her eyes shone with adoration for him, he was trying so hard to not let her slip away and in that moment she saw it clearly. Ruby again looks out over the landscape, her hair, and Jake’s, completely wind blown and messy. She enjoys the breeze on her face for long, quiet moments before kissing Jake gently then standing. She picks up his hat, then offers her hand to him, helping him up. She places the hat back on his head, tilted just the way he likes it, then takes his hand and they head back inside.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Jake and Ruby enter the car where their seats are. Ruby looks at the floor and doesn't say anything but Jake comments, "Did they say something about lunch?"

Minerva reaches up to grab the picnic basket that Bea sent with her. "I have all sorts of goodies in here. I would be happy to share!" she says as she opens the basket and begins taking out an assortment of goodies.

"They did, but why don't you join us? I am sure whatever Minerva has is better than what they serve here on the train." Nanuet says, looking around to make sure no one is offended.

"That Madeline is a charming woman, isn't she? I'm going to join her. Anyone else want to come?" Chester makes his way to the dining car.

Ruby takes Jake's hand in hers tightly and tries to keep her puffy face behind his shoulder.

Jake nods towards Nanuet and helps Ruby sit down. "A little food is a good idea. I wonder how far it is to our destination?"

Nanuet says, "I think we have quite a ways to go, the train doesn't get in until around 8:00 tonight. I wonder how far from Albuquerque to Thomaswell?"

"Maybe someone on the train knows." Jake says between bites.

Ruby pushes food away but keeps her eyes open for any liquor that might be floating around. She puts her head on Jake's shoulder but fights to keeps her eyes wide open.

Asking a few questions, Jake manages to find out that Thomaswell is bit more than a half day's stagecoach ride south of Albuquerque and that the stage runs there every other day.

Chester arrives in the dining car and says to "Madeline," "Is this seat taken?"

"Why, sir, how kind of you to keep me company. Please, sit. Now, Mr. Martin is so formal, I can call you Chester, can't I?"

"Yes, you can. And can I call you Madeline? Where are you heading?"

"You can even call me Maddie, if you like. I'm going to Thomaswell. I have some relations there to visit. Mama and Daddy are hoping if they let me run around long enough, I'll settle down and get married when I get home.

I admit, I did see an awful handsome man back in Promise City, and I heard he was headed out this way. If I'm lucky I might meet him again."

Chester replies, "I hope that you can find your gentleman friend. It'd be a shame to miss him after you've traveled all this way. I'm sure you'll find someone to spend your life with."

"Oh, I'm not worried about that! I have plenty of fun all by myself. But I think I'll ask after him when I get there. My whole life is too much to think about right now, but the next week or so is wide open," she laughed.

"Ah. To be young and free." He takes a drink. "Me and my friends are on vacation. We wanted to get out of town for a while. It's the first time I've been out of the area in months. Are you from Tombstone?"

"I'm from everywhere, but originally Virgina. I don't remember there though, I was too little. Tombstone was ugly, but it's exciting."

"I bet not half as exciting as Promise City is. I've certainly seen some things you wouldn't believe. I'm from Indiana originally, but I left there years ago to join the Army. Right now though, I'm a bouncer at a bar. What do you do for a living?"

"Wire Daddy for money," she laughed. "I should go home soon, I suppose. A girl can only have fun for so long before her family starts to miss her."

Kate dropped her voice, keeping the smiling manner but saying, "It's a bit lonely, staying away from all of you."

Chester nods and replies, "Hopefully it won't be much longer. We don't want to alert anyone related to you know who. But it seems like you're having some fun as a new person."

"If I get to be someone else for a while, I might as well enjoy it. I'm just thinking of a girl I knew back in boarding school and throwing in a few things I learned in society. And trying to be as different from myself as possible."

"I got to admit, it's an interesting change. This thing has gotten everyone riled up. I guess this trip might be just what we needed. Then again, Ruby's getting worse. I'm really worried about her. I hope that fixing her problem will take care of her fears."

Kate smiled and laid her fingers on her wrist, whispering conspiratorially. "There does seem to be something fundamentally wrong with the universe when Ruby's confidence can't overcome her fear. But consider, this thing wants only her. Her biggest fear in life is to have someone else control her, and this thing wants to control her completely. And strong as she is, it can do it. I'd be terrified too.

I don't think there's anything we can do to comfort her, or make her feel better. The best thing to do is put the monster in his grave for good."

Chester leans in, "She scared me half to death when she bolted like that. I mean, I didn't know what she was going to do." He shakes his head. "I hope she can hold out until we finish the job. Those stakes had better do the trick. She can't live like this, looking over her shoulder all the time."

A very un-Maddie like expression settled onto her face. "We'll make sure she doesn't have to," she said simply. A moment later she slipped Maddie's face back on and began to chatter through dinner.

The companions who stayed in the seating car shared the food that Minerva had offered and had some light conversation. Most of them seemed a bit uneasy and eagerly awaited the train ride's end. Chester and "Maddie" enjoyed their meal in the dining car and made light conversation. The scenery outside remained fairly constant, mostly desert with scattered trees and mountains in the background as the train speed westward towards Albuquerque. Slowly the sun sunk in front of the train as the day wore on. The steady clacking of the train on the tracks and the swaying motion seemed to make everyone drowsy, except for Ruby and Nanuet, who do not nod off at all.

orchid blossom

Explorer
The companions are all jolted to awareness when the train comes to a stop. "Albuquerque, this stop is Albuquerque!" the conductor yells. When they look outside the passengers see a wide street surprisingly busy for this time of day. Lamps light the wide avenue that runs perpendicular to the train platform with several places of business lining both sides.

As they stand to stretch and gather their things the group overhears a young couple asking where they can get a clean room and a hot meal for the night. A passenger who appears to be a local resident mentions that Foster's Hotel will offer both and is just a block away.

"Jake, I need a drink," Ruby whispers in his ear.

"Ok, I'm sure we can find something. Chet why don't you ask the baggage handlers about Turner's box."

Nanuet nudges Minerva awake as he begins gathering their things. "So, what is the plan from here. Too late to travel tonight, I suppose we can get a room at the place that fella just mentioned, or plenty of other places. Maybe dinner first?"

Bleary-eyed, Minerva gathers up her belongings and follows Nanuet into the street. "Fosters hotel sound fine to me."

"My, it's a much bigger place than I imagined," Maddie said to no one in particular. "Foster's did he say?"

Nanuet says, "Sounds good to me. If we pass some sort of watering hole on the way I could use a drink, or maybe Foster's has a bar."

When picking up his bags, Chester asks the porters if any of them had handled a large trunk or something like that recently.

"Why, you missing some luggage?"

"No, someone else I know might have had some cargo on this train, just checking on it."

"Well, unless you got a claim ticket we don't have what you are looking for, sorry, not supposed to talk about the private belongings of others with passengers."

The porter turns around and immediately gets back to work.

Chester pulls out a gold half eagle coin ($5). "Will this take the place of a claim ticket? I just want to know if you've seen it. I'm not going to take it."

The porter quickly glances over his shoulder and pulls Chester to the side "Look, I could get in a lot of trouble mister" he says grabbing the coin out of Chester's hand and swiftly tucking it away. "We see lots of stuff, you'll have to be more specific."

"Turner, it would have been addressed to Colin Turner" Chester replies in a low voice.

"Hmm... that does ring a bell. I think that might have come in yesterday or the day before. Headed out on the stage if I remember correctly, the stage that goes south. Something-well was the address, yeah, that's the one."

"Chester nods his head. "Thanks a lot. You've been a great help. I won't tell anyone who I got the information from."

The group struggles with their belongings and tries to get their bearings in this foreign town. They head in the direction of Foster's hotel passing several saloons on the way. Kincaide's, Aces and Eights, and Lucky Sams all seem to be decent places, the first one being right next door to the hotel.

Ruby doesn't bother with the hotel, walking directly into the Saloon next to Fosters. "I'll be in here," she calls out to her friends, unaware and uncaring of their struggles with the baggage.

She heads inside and squeezes right up to the bar. Once the bartender comes over she asks, "Do you have any Kentucky Bourbon?"

A brown haired man who walks with a limp uses a rag to wipe off the spot on the bar in front of Ruby and smiles "Expensive taste for a young lady. Drinking alone tonight?" he says with a Celtic brogue. He gets a glass and pours a healthy glass of bourbon for Ruby and smiles warmly.

Nanuet watches Ruby trail off to the saloon. "Well I think she might have the right idea, but I think I'll look into getting rooms first. Jake, I'll get one for you as well and you can look after that spitfire of yours."

Jake nods, leaves some coins on the counter and says to the clerk, "Take care of all the bags." He heads over to the saloon in search of Ruby.

Ruby throws a $10 bill on the bar. "I'll take the bottle." She sips at what is in front her of, although the first sips offer no relief. "I don't know if I'm drinking alone tonight." She tries to return his smile, "Someone may decide to join me."

Ruby finishes her whole bourbon in one shot with a scrunched up nose. She tries to patiently wait for the bottle to be delivered. She checks the door a couple of times and not seeing anyone, shrugs. Guess they aren't joining the crazy girl.

She does smile when the bartender delivers the bottle. She considers drinking straight from it but as he is watching she pours herself a glass instead and pretends to take small sips.

Most of the patrons in the bar seem to be minding their own business, but a few eyes glance at the newcomers, especially the ladies. You can easily tell the regulars from the travelers by the ease with which they carry out their business. This seems like a popular spot for out of towners as the group all notice several people from the train.

There are two card games going on at the back of the saloon and a few scantily clad ladies plying their trade make their way around the room. There is no entertainment other than an old player piano which awkwardly cranks out it's tune. Bowls of nuts and boards of cheese, dried meats and bread are spread out amongst the tables and bar area.

Jake comes up behind Ruby, "Saving any for me?"

Ruby smiles but doesn't turn around. She holds the bottle up, shaking it back and forth, and falls back into Jake. "Of course. But you'd better hurry if you want some."

Nanuet gets a room for himself and Minerva as well as Jake and Ruby. He makes sure everyone is settled and helps "Maddie" with her bags before heading over to Kincaide's to get a drink for himself.

"Minerva, I think I am going to head over to that saloon next door for a drink and maybe a bite. Care to join me?"

Minerva nods in agreement and follows Nanuet to the saloon, where they find a table near the others. Minerva sits while Nanuet heads to the bar to get them drinks. He smiles returning with a bottle of whiskey and two full glasses.

"Here, this should help take the ache out from that ride." he says handing a glass to Minerva.

Minerva takes the glass from Nanuet and attempts to smile at him. She sips her drink and does not make any attempt at conversation.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Ruby drinks hard and quickly, knowing this is her only shot at getting any real relaxation or rest. She blows off any worried glances or comments from her friends, and hopes they never ever have to be in her situation.

Luckily the bottle was mostly full and Jake was going light on the drinking.

With half the bottle gone Ruby finally relaxes and she goes outside to get some air.

A handsome, well dressed, middle aged, thickly built man sporting a heavy mustache and smoking a cigar follows Ruby out the door.

"Pardon me miss, but I couldn't help but notice you inside there. You must be new to town because someone who looked like you, well I would have remembered seeing you around. My name's Edwin, Frank Edwin." he says, giving a slight bow to Ruby.

Ruby's head was spinning slightly from the quick consumption of bourbon. She squints for a moment and holds out her hand. "It's nice to meet you Edwin. Ruby West," she gets out without slurring. "Of Promise City, Arizona. Are we still in Arizona?" she hiccups.

"Arizona? Afraid not miss... you're in New Mexico now. Albuquerque, to be more precise. Maybe you had better slow down with that bottle, you seem to be quite intoxicated. Perhaps you should sit? The air out here is lovely, let me get you a chair from inside, be just a moment."

The stranger does as he promised and gets Ruby a high-backed chair from the saloon and offers her a seat.

"New Mexico!" Ruby exclaims. "Huh, that's interesting." She gladly sits on the offered chair, almost falling off as she tires to get her foot up underneath herself.

"Yes, it's beautiful." She takes a deep breath in. "I am a creature of the night, I must admit. I especially love the stars."

"Edwin, what are you doing here in New Mexico?"

"Well ma'am, I happen to run a high end barbershop for the male population of our fine little city." Edwin replies.

"You like the stars you say? Well then look right over there, that there is Orion's belt, and that is ..." Edwin continues pointing out several constellations in the open night sky in an obvious attempt to impress Ruby.

Ruby is impressed, even though the stars look blurry and she has no idea what she's looking at. Squinting up at the sky she says, "Where did you learn all that?" Her gaze falls back on the man as she sways in her chair.

Kate tucked her things away in the hotel room and changed into a fancier dress to go next door to the saloon. Once there, she didn’t immediately join the others instead sitting at the bar to sip a glass of wine and chatter away with the patrons.

When her glass is refilled, she leaned over to the bartender and whispered conspiratorially, “I don’t suppose you’ve been a strikingly handsome blonde man with the iciest blue eyes ever in the last few days, have you? I met him a few days ago and a friend told me he headed this way. I thought, if he’s still in town….”

"Sorry ma'am, but if there is anyone I'd be remembering it ain't a he if you get what I mean. We get a lot of folks in and out of this place but I can't say that I recall seeing someone who matches your description."

“I don't suppose you would at that," she said and smiled. "Although I think I'll remember you," she said with another smile over her shoulder as the slid off the stool to stroll around the room.

The bartender smiles at Maddie's comment and watches her stroll away. He calls one of the waitresses over and scrawls a hasty note. He reaches up high above the bar to the top shelf and grabs a bottle and pours a glass from it. The waitress winks and in a sultry voice says "She must be a special one, I'll bring this over right away."

The waitress follows Miss Anders around the room until she catches up with her. She taps her on the shoulder and says "I think our bartender fancies you, this is for you." she says handing over a glass of wine and the note."

"Thanks," Kate said brightly and turned slightly to open the note. It reads "I like your smile, perhaps you can wait around for me and I can show you some of the better late night places around here?"

“Well, now I know why Fanny was always in trouble," she muttered to herself, thinking of the girl from boarding school she had been emulating all day. Unsure how to answer this, she looked back and the bartender and smiled, looking up from under her eyelashes.

She made her way over to where the others were sitting. "My new friends, hello! I seem to have made a lot of friends lately." She leaned forward and whispered, "The bartender wants to take me out later... "

Chester smiles. "Evening, Madeline. Come and sit a spell." He whispers in her ear, "Do you think he's up to no good? One of us can trail you if you're going out with him."

"No, I don't think he's up to anything but taking a girl out, which can be it's own trouble," she said in a matching whisper as she sat down. "I might be able to dig something up about Turner if I go with him. I'll go if one of you will tail us. That's a good idea, Chester."

Chester laughs, as though he heard a joke. "I just told the others that Turner's luggage went on the stage to Thomaswell yesterday. If you go, be careful. Since Jake has to look after Ruby, I'll follow you. By the way, where is she?"

She raised her voice to a normal tone. "Your pretty red-haired friend? She stepped out on the porch. To get some air, I imagine."

As she goes outside Jake continues to watch Ruby but moves quickly to speak with Minerva in a hushed tone. "Senorita, usted debe detectar si hay una brujería en rubí!"*
*you must detect if there is a sorcery on Ruby

"Something is very wrong. I must know if she is battling personal demons or does that fiend still have a hold on her. You must do it tonight somehow." Jake is looking nervous and glancing out the door towards Ruby and back to the priestess. "Please, Senorita," he pleads. Without waiting for her answer he walks outside, the unbuttoned flaps of his duster spreading wide with his quick pace.

Ruby smiles widely when she sees Jake. "Hey... Guess what? We're learning about the stars. I love the stars. Our stars. Come and meet Edwin.

Minerva stands and drops her napkin on the table. She turns to Nanuet and says pointedly, "I could use some air. Would you escort me outside, Nanuet? It is too smoky in here. I would like to go now, por favor."

Nanuet looks at Minerva questioningly but says nothing. He takes her arm and leads her out the door. She spots Ruby with her friend and Jake and casually strolls over with Nanuet. "Buenos Noches, Ruby, Jake." The priestess places her hand lightly on Ruby's shoulder in a friendly manner. "Who is your friend?" she casts detect magic while Nanuet and Jake engage Ruby and her new friend in conversation.

Ruby giggles. "You already know Jake Senorita, don't be silly." She looks around at the disbelieving faces. "OOhhhh you mean Edwin... This is Edwin. She faces him, "Edwin these are my friends."

Ruby doesn't notice when Minerva places a hand on her shoulder, but a sudden tingle comes over her. She suddenly crosses her arms across her chest and shivers, her actions breaking Minerva's grip on her. "Did you feel that? It's getting cold out here."

"Good evening Edwin," Jake says in a confident tone, "I'm Al--- um Jake." He offers the man his hand. "The young lady and I have spent many an evening admiring the stars. Mighty neighborly of you to share you knowledge with my girl."

"Your girl? Pardon me then, I had no idea. Please excuse me, I have something I have to take care of inside." The stranger leaves the porch in a hurry, his face quite red.

"Well," Ruby says huffy, "Alumjake you scared my new friend away. Now how am I going to learn about the stars?" She hiccups. She glances around the area quickly again, "Do you feel that?" With another shiver she says, "I think I need another drink."

Nanuet who had followed Minerva out to the porch spoke up "I think you've had enough to drink already Miss Ruby. We need to have our wits about us tomorrow if we are heading to Thomaswell. Who knows what will greet us there. Jake, maybe we should head back to the hotel, settle in for the night."

Ruby slides off her chair. With a slight edge in her voice she replies, "Well, Mr. Nanuet, I appreciate your concern but since you're neither my husband or my father you can't tell me what to do." She wobbly reaches down to the floor and picks up her bottle of bourbon. She holds it up and toasts, "Cheers!" and takes another drink before wandering out into the street.

Nanuet shakes his head and looks at Jake. "Well my friend, looks like you are in for a long night." He then looks back at Minerva and says "Well, how would you like to spend the rest of the evening? Nothing elaborate like last night, but maybe some relaxing and rest?"

As Ruby wanders off into the night Minerva takes Jake by the arm and whispers into his ear. "Senor, I do not see any sorcery affecting her, though she does carry something on her upper left leg."

Jake takes that in and pauses a moment. "Gracias." He glances at the wobbly and receding red head, "We'll likely be very late. I'm getting accustomed to being out late now anyway. I expect we'll be taking at least some of our rest during the daylight hours soon anyway. I'll likely sleep on the stage." With that Jake nods and trails off after Ruby.

"So Miss West, what say we see what this city looks like?"

Ruby gives Jake a crooked smile and takes his arm tightly in hers. "Good idea lover, you're so smart." She takes a sip from her bottle then offers it to Jake.

They wander up and down the streets of the busy city, Jake trying to steer Ruby away from any potential trouble. She keeps trying to look up at the stars, and each time she gets closer to falling over. "You know, no matter where we go the stars always follow us. They must like us." They quietly continue their meandering through the streets, Ruby occasionally pointing out things she likes in windows, or laughing over some drunk person making a fool of themself. She stops to pet some scruffy stray dog before the continue on their way.

Out of no where Ruby announces, "I'm hungry! Let's get a snack and keep the stars company."

orchid blossom

Explorer
Kate looked to Chester and said, "Do you suddenly feel as if we had some horrible, communicable disease?"

He grins. "Sometimes I wonder." He pauses and says, "Everyone's worried about Ruby. On the train she told me I couldn't help her. It won't stop me, but she's feeling the strain. Are you going to see this guy?"

She sighed a bit. "I think I will take the man up on his offer, since you are willing to chaperone. Discreetly." She whispered, "I can't go to Ruby, so I might as well do something to keep my mind off it."

"Well, you've been absoutely charming," she said louder, "but you seem to have lost your friends. I think I'll go get another glass of wine while you look for them." She got up and went back to her circut of the room, stopping to watch a poker game going on.

Chester watches her leave, trying to see if anyone else is paying her special attention. He continues nursing his beer. Can't be a chaperone if I'm half seas over.

Several men eye the transfigured Kate as she makes her way around the room. As she approaches the poker game the men seated in such a way that they were facing her all stop the game for a moment to take her in. Those with their backs turned all crane their necks to see the object of desire of their fellow players. Most of them go back to the game but a couple keep glancing over at her.

It took a great deal of control to keep herself from blushing. She reminded herself that these men would never have glanced at Katherine Kale, but Maddie was a different story. How much of her safety had been because she wasn't worth noticing was something Kate hadn't thought about before. She suddenly remembered Maggie's story about how people had come to believe she and Tom were married.

As casually as she could, Kate turned away from the game and found a quiet corner to sit in.

The time spent in the saloon passes fairly uneventfully. A few people come and go, but no one that sticks out. About an hour after Kate received the drink and the note from the bartender she finds him standing in front of her.

"Well, you stuck around so I am thinking that is a good sign. Give me a few minutes to get cleaned up and I can show you around town a bit?"

"I'd be glad to see some more of the town," she smiled brightly. "I won't be here long, I have to leave on the next stage. Is that tomorrow, or the next day? The one out toward Thomasville?"

"Umm... Thomasville? Oh Thomaswell you mean? Well there is a stage that passes that way tomorrow, usually leaves around noontime. Not sure why you'd want to head to that place though, not much there anymore. So, what's your fancy? Some dancing? Live music or cards perhaps? Oh, and the name's Joe, Joe Fisher."

Joe offers his arm to Maddie and escorts her out into the street as they talk.

When Chester sees the bartender leave, he walks out the door. He finds a building to hide next to and waits for the man and "Maddie" to exit the bar.

"My name is Madeline Anders, but you can call me Maddie. Oh, and music please!" She said brightly, "And with music usually comes dancing." She let the smile slip a bit in concern. "I'm supposed to have family to visit in Thomaswell, would they still be there? What happened to the town?"

"Well, I know a few places that have both live music and dancing, some nights it can get rather quiet so we should head over there now."

Mr. Fisher leads Maddie through the streets of Albuquerque for about a dozen blocks and into what looks like the less wholesome part of town. He walks close with her and answers any questions she asks with confidence. "Lived here all my life, interesting town when you get to know your way around. As far as your family in Thomaswell, if they told you they were still there then I imagine they would be, but Thomaswell has pretty much served it's purpose since the railroad heads further west now. The town used to be a stopover point for travelers and traders heading that way but now everyone pretty much uses the train. Folks down there must have some way to make a living but I am certain I don't know what it is."

Once Joe is finished speaking they find themselves outside a seedy looking building with the windows shuttered and dark. The sign hanging outside looks like the name has been changed a dozen times and now simply reads 'Dancin'. Maddie however can here the sounds of music being played and people enjoying themselves inside. "I know it don't look like much, but this place is a lot of fun. Let's go have a look and see if you're agreeable."

The establishment reminded her of the place Mr. Gonzales had taken them in New Orleans, and that place had turned out to be fine. Kate still wasn't sure she should even be here, but already she had learned something about Thomaswell. An odd place for someone like Turner to be; there couldn't have been much to, she shivered at the thought, to sustain him there. But perhaps a place that people had forgotten served to hide his activities. If it was a small enough place, they would have to assume some of the residents were his agents.

"Oh, I know you'll take care of me and keep anyone from giving me a hard time. It can't hurt to look, can it? And I do so love to dance," she finished, shooting a glance behind her to see if she could spot Chester.

Joe reaches into his pocket and takes out some coins. "Need to pay a cover fee to get in the door. Just stay close to me when we go in, at least until you get your bearings. I can be dark and busy in there."

He opens the door and hands a few coins to a large man standing just inside the door. "Hey Tommy, this is for me and the lady. Who's playing tonight?"

"Connie's singing, didn't recognize the band, but she always changes it up."

"Thanks Tommy."

Joe leads Maddie inside the crowded narrow building. As promised it was dark and packed. A makeshift bar was set up on a table in the corner where patrons bought drinks from unlabeled bottles. There was a stage against the wall opposite the door where they came in and a singer and a 5 piece band squeezed onto it. The music was lively and mostly improvisational and couples danced enthusiastically throughout the room in unconventional dance steps.

"Well it looks like were set up for some fun tonight? Care for a drink or should we just dance?" Joe asked Maddie with his voice raised to compete with the music.

"Let's just dance! Traveling with a hangover is never fun," she grinned. "And if I get too drunk I wouldn't remember the fun I had, and I did promise to remember you, didn't I?"

She grabbed unto his hand and pulled him out onto the dance floor, keeping her eye on the door hoping to see Chester come in. "How long have you lived here? You must get a lot of travelers in your saloon, being right next to the hotel and all," she shouted.

"Lived here my whole life, born and raised. Never traveled anywhere, guess this place is exciting enough for me." Joe moves around the dance floor surprisingly well considering his limp, he leads Maddie in an upbeat and lively dance the two moving spryly around the dance floor. Maddie notices most of the people here are good dancers and all seem to be quite loose and free in their dancing form. Several people seem to be in groups rather than couples as partners continuously change.

"Yeah, we get a lot of travelers, on account of the train and the hotel being so close. I think the boss would have preferred a more regular crowd for the card games and all but we do OK."

Joe continues to dance as long as Maddie wants to.

Maddie danced for the next hour, trying to learn as much as she could about the area without raising suspicions. They took a few breaks, when she chatted with other dancers. She took no other partners, and when the ladies realized she wasn't changing they were more willing to chat with her. She managed to lead a few conversations to a point where she could see if they remembered seeing Colin Turner, usually by saying she had met the most handsome man a couple towns back.

After that hour passed, Maddie asked to go back to the hotel, saying, "My trip took more out of me than I thought. I'm just exhausted, and I have another long trip tomorrow. Would you walk me back to the hotel please?"

Unfortunately Kate/Maddie gets very little in the way of information regarding Colin Turner. She hears that somebody matching his description used to pass through as a traveling salesman type a while back, but that he hasn't been through here in months as far as she knew.

Joe does offer to escort Maddie back to the hotel. "Well I am sorry to hear that you'll be moving on so soon, I certainly did have a nice time with you. Hope your family in Thomaswell is well. If you pass back through Albuquerque please stop by Kincaide's again."

"Oh, I'm sure I will. How could I resist when you've been so friendly? And such a gentleman." She got up on her toes and kissed his cheek. "Good night, Joe," she said, and with the same over the shoulder smile that she'd given him earlier she slipped into the hotel.

Back in her room Kate breathed a sigh of relief. She'd had a little taste of what it would be like to be Ruby for a night, and she was suddenly glad of her own modest figure that let her move mostly unnoticed.

Minerva smiles in remembrance "Last night was quite special." She pauses. “I think that a little relaxation and rest are a good idea. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow." Nanuet and Minerva find a quiet spot. They order a drink and Minerva shares her concerns.

"I am worried about Ruby. She is becoming more volatile and skittish every day. If she does not come to terms with her fear soon, she is going to get us all killed. Her behavior is becoming so erratic that even Senor Jake cannot tell whether it is her insecurities causing her actions or Colin Turner influencing her mind. He even managed to convince me to use my magic to find out if that monster was controlling her… aaand as if Senor Jake is not already confused enough…" Minerva says in exasperation, “she has chosen this moment to confront him about his feelings toward marriage. I don't know what is going on in that girls head, but this is not the time to distract him from the danger at hand."

Nanuet thinks upon her words for a moment. "Well, I can't say that if I had that monster in my head that I would be acting any differently. Even though you used your prayers to examine her, can you be so sure that Turner's powers are of the nature that you can see them?”

"Oh, I had not thought of that." she says in alarm. "I hope not! But I suppose it is possible."

Nanuet leans closer. "He might be planting thoughts in her head right this very moment. I agree, we can't trust Ruby to be herself until she proves that she is. The marriage talk is bad timing, but that is something that they have to sort out between them. Perhaps Aphrodite has influenced Ruby in that direction and that is why she brings it up now? Jake is not the only one of us in this group though. We are all here for the same reason and we will all have a role to play in this monster's demise."

"Yes, but I don't think that this is Aphrodite’s influence. I suspect this is just Ruby being Ruby… and as for Jake, I would not assume that he is here for the same reasons as we are. I suspect that his sole purpose is to save Ruby and that he will do that any way that he can, even if that means letting the monster go free or sacrificing one of us. As for Ruby I think that she will do the same for Jake. Even if that means sneaking off with this monster and giving him what he wants. Minerva looks at Nanuet with a troubled expression. “No I do not think that we can trust either one of them until they learn to trust one another, or at least until we know what is going on in their heads. Has Jake said anything to you?"

"We talked when I followed him outside on the train, but I told him I would keep the conversation private. Jake and Ruby have different motivations than us, that is for sure, but they have helped me in the past when I needed it and I don't think they would just throw any of us to the wolves."

"I am not suggesting that they would do so willingly but they are very confused and uncertain about one another right now. Their fear clouds their faith and I do not believe that they are capable of making sound judgments. Please, just keep a close eye on them, for all of our sakes."

Minerva sips her drink and stifles a yawn. She shakes her head as she thinks on her conversation with Ruby. "Why is it that people think that a piece of paper is needed as proof of their love? It does not change anything in the eyes of the gods. Does a birth registered in the family holy book make someone any more alive? Or a death certificate make them more dead? No, it is as it is because the gods have ordained it to be so. Life would be much simpler if Ruby and Jake could accept that one simple premise instead of worrying about what men have told them might happen if they dare to love too much. "She smiles sleepily and takes Nanuet's hands in hers. "I do not need a piece of paper as proof of our bonding. I feel it in my heart and know it to be true."

"I too feel our bond and know that it is strong. I do however see the use of formal ceremony to make the bond official and public. My people have a bonding ceremony to show that people are married and someday I would hope that we would do the same. If anything it is a celebration of our love for one another. I can see how Ruby would want vows from Jake, vows that would have some permanency and legs to stand on."

Minerva looks at him questioningly. "I agree that the ceremony is an important event meant to share ones happiness with the community and I look forward to the day when we share that moment with our friends and community, but I do not need words and ceremonies to prove my love for you or yours for me. I celebrate our bond each waking moment and in my dreams I celebrate it with the gods. Do you believe that our bond is any less eternal, because we have not yet shared our knowledge with the community?"

Nanuet takes Minerva's hands and looks deeply into her eyes. He smiles and then speaks. "Minerva Garcia Florencia, I love you. No ceremony or piece of paper will change that. We have a special bond, one that is even realized by the Gods. I am fully committed to you, and I hope you never doubt that."

Minerva squeezes his hand. “I do not, Mi Amor. My faith in our love is boundless and eternal... but I would like to take this opportunity to show you, once again, just how much I love you. Come let us go upstairs," she says teasingly and rising takes him by the hand to lead him up to their room where she give him a thorough demonstration of her love for him.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Jake steers Ruby towards the next lit and open door that seems like it would sell them some prepared food. He hands her some money and takes the bottle. "Get whatever you like. I'll wait for you here and keep this safe for you."

He positions himself so he can see inside but remains somewhat in the shadows. He takes the opportunity to quickly swap the bullets around in his guns. He loads normal rounds in his fast draw Colt and swaps the four of the five incendiary rounds in his long barreled Colt for Pierre's enchanted ones. Once finished he comes to the doorway to wait for Ruby and the food.

Jake starts getting antsy when Ruby comes bouncing out after about 10 minutes with a grin on her face. "I got lots of stuff for us. I wasn't hungry before and I haven't eaten to much today but now I'm hungry and couldn't decide. So I made the guy give me lots of food. I got some for you too. Let's go find a good spot."

They walk around for quite a bit, looking for something suitable. Finally on the outskirts of town Ruby finds a patch of grass surrounded by flowers next to a church. She plops down on the ground and starts digging through the bag pulling out cheese, bread and cookies. She pats the ground next to her to make sure Jake sits close.

She pulls her shoes and stockings off to get more comfortable. As she picks at the bread she stretches out her long legs. "It's going to start getting hot soon. Then we'll be hot and sweaty all the time."

Jake takes a hearty drink of the bourbon and sits close to her. Handing the bottle to her he asks, "Why do you say that?"

Ruby takes the bottle then throws her bare leg over Jake's. She scrunches her nose at him, "Because summer is almost here and it gets very warm in the summer around here. I mean, around where we live. I forgot we're not there. Not now anyway." The thought runs through Ruby's brain that she might never get back home but she quickly pushes it away and doesn't mention it. Instead she takes another sip of bourbon. "Thank goodness we found a bottle. Tonight was just not a whiskey night."

Jake starts mulling over how he is going to engage Ruby's personal demons. He's met them before, but never really wrestled with them. Up until now he's only held them at bay. "I enjoy sitting under the stars, watching them watching us." You have got to find that fiery Ruby West in there Jacob Cooke, a little voice inside his head says to him, both your lives depend on it. In his mind he nods in agreement. Jake the convincer, Jake the diplomat, Jake Cook with the silver tongue starts to work on helping the woman he loves fight her personal demons and whatever that fiend Colin Turner has done to her. "Not that I don't enjoy the warm sunshine, they both enrich my life in their own way. I would hate to have to choose one over the other, I like deciding from day to day which I will enjoy."

She smiles goofily at Jake. "Yes, I agree darling. I like the sun feeling warm on my skin. I think we're more night kind of people though. The cool air and the stars after one of those hot days. Of course, I used to get to sleep all day and stay up all night much more regular." She giggles. "But being with you is more fun no matter what time of day it is."

"I thank my luck every day that you choose to spend those days and nights with me. Even if you tan and I burn," he adds in a teasing tone. He times a pause and continues speaking, "I was thinking about what you shared with me on the train. I know you have worried about your future. It must be incredibly tempting for someone as beautiful as Ruby West to be offered the chance to defy old age."

"Yes, you should be thanking Tyche I choose to spend my time with you Silver Jake Cook," Ruby teases back by pinching his arm. Her giggles die off and her face becomes more serious as she takes another sip of bourbon. "Yes, I worry about my future now, that is true. Because I don't like what most of my past was like." A hiccup escapes her lips but she ignores it. "Also true that the thought of never getting old and ugly is appealing. I mean, it only took three months for me to be covered in scars and now I will probably get wrinkles from all the stress and worry. And when I get old and wrinkly who will want me then?" She picks at a blade of grass, eventually pulling it from the ground.

"It is true that at first I was attracted to you because... well because you are beautiful. I made no secret that I was partial to curves. I was and still am enthralled by your singing." Jake takes the bottle back from her and has a small drink. "Do you think that is all there is?" He lays back on the grass looking straight up at the stars. "There is so much more."

Ruby watches Jake lie back in the grass and stare up at the stars. Even now at a time like this he seemed relaxed and Ruby was jealous. She leans over him, her dress strap of her traveling dress falling off her shoulder. She looks at his face curiously, "What do you mean there is so much more? More to what?"

His lips curl every so slightly in a smile. "More to you Ruby West, more to you. Do you remember how I answered when you asked me what I liked best about you? You thought I would say something like the way you wiggle your hips when you walk, the shape of your bosom, or how you touch me in just the best ways in our private time. All of which I do enjoy immensely. Do you remember what I told you?"

Ruby looks up to the sky and squints her eyes as she wracks her brain trying to recall. Finally she looks back to Jake and shakes her head. "No, I don't remember. Can you remind me?"

“Gladly. You are more alive than anyone I have ever met."

Ruby is silent for a long while. She reaches and picks a white flower out of the nearby bed. She spins it around in her hand then finally looks back to Jake with furrowed brows. "I don't know what that means. I mean, I'm not dead yet so that means I'm still alive. How can you be more alive?" Intrigued, she puts the flower up to her nose and tickles herself with it, eliciting giggles while she waits for the answer.

"The little bounce in your walk when you are happy, even when you talk it is like you are singing, the way you flip your hair and twirl your finger in it, how you bite your lip when you are uncertain," Jake's smile grows a little larger, "the way you pout when you are disappointed, how your bright soul lights up the world around you. Colors are brighter when you hold them." Jake runs his finger down the stem of the flower. "There is something about you that makes everyone feel more alive. How you light up my world."

Ruby places a hand on either side of Jake and lowers herself over him until her lips are very close to his and her hair covers him. "I like that baby; I hope I always can light up your world because it's my world too." She finishes the distance and kisses her lover, a soft full kiss on the lips. She only pulls back slightly from him. "You're a smooth talker Mr. Cook and you could win any girl's heart. But I'm glad you chose mine."

"You know its not just talk, you can see it in my eyes can't you?" Jake unbuttons several buttons on his shirt. He takes her hand and places it on his chest. "You can feel my heart, what does it make you think?"

Ruby stares deeply into Jake's eyes as she lets her hand wander over his chest. She says solemnly, "Yes Jake, I can see it in your beautiful sparkling eyes that you're telling me the truth." Her hand stops wandering directly over Jake's pounding heart. "It makes me think you want me." She leans down again and kisses him, harder than before.

He enjoys the moment, the respite from his careful responses. Even though they come from his heart, he is careful, very careful because so much is at stake. His next thought is, I am sorry to put you through this Ruby .. He waits for Ruby to again look skyward before he speaks. "It must be a horrible thing to feel differently about a beating heart. I cannot even imagine it making me lick my lips in hunger. The taste of warm blood satisfying a craving, becoming your sustenance, what keeps you alive. Looking at every living creature as food. How could you not look at your friends or even your lover as a source of your next meal? Necessary like breathing air..." He pauses ever so slightly, just enough to make the next statement more poignant. "I never imagined I would need anyone like I need air. Ruby, what I take from you doesn't make you any less does it? It would surely rend my heart and leave me to die if it did."

Ruby pulls back, sits up and away from Jake and presses her hand on her stomach. "That's sick Jacob Cook. What are you talking about?" Ruby is visibly upset at Jake's jarring words.

She breathes in deeply and tries to calm herself down. She reaches for the bottle of bourbon and takes a huge swig. Finally she looks back at him. "No, why would it make me less? You take much much less than you give."

"I feel like I get so much more from you than I give you, I do not say this to debate with you. I will admit that encountering Turner has me shaken, has me questioning a good many things. It has only made my feelings about you stronger though." He turns his head and looks at her. "I felt it Ruby. The man that was once Turner was cold, his body, his blood... his soul." He turns his eyes back towards the sky. "There is no life in him. He is a consumer of life. How many lives has he ended, how many bright souls has he turned into empty shells of their former selves?" Jake sighs outwardly; inwardly he winces at the emotional trauma he is dragging her through. "It is regrettable that he is cursed. Life can be so unfair. Life was unfair to you, but you did something to change it. You didn't intentionally destroy others because life gave you an unfair burden. You have to wonder if he has tried to break that curse or if he just revels in the power it gives him to control others, to suck the life from them. It is a crime against humanity to pass that curse on."

Ruby shivers and wraps her arms around herself. "What are you saying Jake? He's trying to curse me and make me like that?" Tears begin to well up in her eyes again but she wipes at them before they can escape. "I HATE feeling weak around you," she says stubbornly. She looks down and is quiet for a moment before she says, "I didn't do anything to change my unfair circumstances. You did."

"No, Ruby West, you had everything to do with changing your life." Jake sits up and looks deep into her eyes. "You didn't give up, you kept trying no matter how hopeless it seemed. You draw things from me that I didn't think possible. You see things in me that no one else sees. If I changed your life it is only because you helped find those things in me, things I could not find on my own." He holds out a hand with his palm open, reaching towards her hand but not taking it, leaving an open invitation. "I am frightened too. Maybe we all see parts of ourselves in this monster. It is a horrible and terrifying moment to identify with such evil." Jake's face looks grim. "Perhaps there is one thing I have in common with that monster. We both desire you. The difference is that no matter how desperately I want you, I will never take from you anything you are unwilling to give. I want you warm and alive, bringing color and life to the world. To me. There is no averting it, that fiend is my enemy. That abomination that would steal the color from my eyes and air from my lungs. My choice is clear and made; there is no other path I can travel."

"Jake, you're so sweet, you're so...strong. You're very strong." Ruby glances down at Jake's outstretched hand. In his upturned palm a small scar, a scar which she shares. She reaches out and gently traces the scar with the tip of her finger. "I told you, I want what you want. I don't want to die. I said I would help you. I don't know what more I can do. I've just been very confused, especially since Thursday..." her voice trails off. She takes Jake's hand in hers. "I will do everything I can to help you, I will do anything to make sure he doesn't hurt you. I will ALWAYS do anything I can to help you. I only hope that it is enough."

She grasps his hand tighter. "I wish that you and I could fly away, away from here and never have to talk about anyone wanting me again. It would always be you and me." She smiles softly. "Maybe a foolish dream but I like it none the less." She blinks a couple of times. "But that is never to be. There will always be someone else."

"Your goddess has given you the gift and the burden of being desirable. If that means I must suffer chasing away others it seems a small price to pay for the treasure of having your love and the joy of giving mine in return." He gives her hand a squeeze. "You asked me what you need to do and I asked for some time to think. Well I have....."

He adjusts himself so he is facing her fully. He offers his other hand to her. "You pointed out that no one knows me better. No one knows my strengths and weaknesses like you do. It is all true. Having you working against me would be devastating. You also suggested that you were doubtful that I can destroy Turner, that he is too powerful. I need someone at my side, someone who knows my strengths and weakness, who knows what I am thinking, who knows what I am going to do before I even do." Jake remembers something Nanuet said to him. "Someone who can shore up my weaknesses with their strengths. Yes, listen to me Ruby, with your strengths."

"Who has more to gain than you? Who else can make me more than I am? I need you to be strong with me, like you have been in the past, like I know you can now."

"Here is what I need you to do." Jake speaks slowly and clearly. "Let go of any guilt over what he has done to you, it is like a sickness not a flaw or a crime. You only endured a sickness we can cure. No more bolting terrified, use your head and manage your fear. Stay with me unless we agree to part. When we get to Thomaswell control your drinking. When we find him, don't look at his eyes, don't let him see yours. If I falter and he controls me use your powers to stop me, do anything to stop me. I could be the most dangerous out of all of us if he controlled me. Most of all Ruby, make certain deep down in your heart that you have decided to live, decided to fight, decided that you are going to do everything possible to make sure you and I, that all of us come out of this alive. Having decided it, all we need is to help our luck along and we will persevere. No heroes, no sacrificing yourself for me, because all you will do is take away the very air that I breathe."

Ruby silently listens to Jake speak for a long while, his words full of passion and determination. He IS strong, she thinks, So strong, and confident. He is always here to pick me up when I’m down, which is quite often. And brave, in the face of such evil and desperation…

Ruby sighs. “Baby, you and I are just meant to be together. We fit in every way. At least I feel that way.” She grips his hands tighter, “I like that, our weakness and our strengths work together. Most of the time I feel we can do anything. But I was so scared on Thursday when you had so many reasons we don’t work, reasons we shouldn’t always be together, you frightened me …” She stops mid thought and shrugs.

Ruby is silent again, considering the rest of Jake’s words. “I can’t sleep or relax without the drink. I’m afraid to have more dreams.” She looks down at the ¾ empty bottle lying on the blanket. “I can’t bare them and I don’t know if the next one might be real.” She realizes the serious conversation has taken part of her happy giddy feelings away and longs to take another drink but doesn’t want to let go of Jake.

“I told you I will fight. I don’t want to be one of him, whatever he is. But there is one thing I can’t promise. And that is that I will do what I must to keep you safe. If that means something happens to me, I accept that. And don’t argue with me, you would do the same, you would do anything you could to keep me safe.”

Jake's eyelids close part way as he looks at her, obvious that his is mulling something over. "I will accept that, but do not forget my words of tonight." He brings both of Ruby's hands to his lips and kisses them. "I am sorry about Thursday, I did not mean those words the way you understood them. You told me that you don't know how to be my girl, what in Hades do I know about being your man? I am doing the best I know how. What we have is precious. The first thing you learn when you decide to be a professional poker player is not to gamble with anything you are not willing to lose. There is no rush. Give us time, let us find the way to the future together." Jake releases one of her hands and reaches for the bottle. After he takes a goodly drink from it, he offers it to Ruby.

"Enjoy it. It will be the last good falling down drunk we are going to have until our business in Thomaswell is done." Jake's eyes take on a twinkle and a smirk springs to his face. "Another good reason to be done quickly. I am going to get so drunk when this is over that we will need to hire a man with a wheel barrow to cart me around." He starts laughing and sprawls backwards onto the grass.

Ruby laughs freely as Jake falls into the thick grass. “Yes, I’d say a good celebrate is in order when we are finished. We’ll have a grand time trying to top ourselves and find out just how much we can forget. Maybe in Tucson, maybe somewhere else, maybe home.” She smiles and a few more giggles come from Ruby before she is quiet. The thought still swims in her mind that she needs some time alone to sort things out but realizes this is not a good time to continue that conversation with Jake.

She remains sitting, looking at the stars for a long while as she drinks from the bottle. She looks back over her bare shoulder at Jake, “Baby, as for us, you don’t have to worry about the future. As long as I am alive and breathing I’m yours. You and I, we do our best for each other and it's good enough, it's never been better, right? No more getting married nonsense, one more thing off your always moving mind. Even if you asked me now I wouldn’t say yes because I know you would only be doing it for me and not yourself. And that's not fair. So you see, you don’t have to ever think on it again.” She smiles at him before turning her face back to the stars and drinking from the now quickly diminishing bottle.

After she looks skyward he eyes her suspiciously, shrugs and grins. "Pass me that bottle before you find the bottom, I have need of it. Oh, and cut some cheese up. You'll have to use your knife as mine hasn't been properly cleaned since... the last time I used it."

“Do you have to bring that up?” Ruby says while passing Jake the bottle. “It’s hard enough to not think about it.” She crawls across the blanket and rifles through the bag pulling out a little brown package. “Besides, I already had it cut up.” She crawls back towards Jake, opens the twine and thrusts it towards him. Taking another gulp like she’s not getting it back, she then passes the bottle to Jake too.

“You know, there are many reasons I can’t wait for this to be over. There is so much to think about, so many things I never thought of before, so much has changed. I guess it’s time for me to figure out my life for real.” A thoughtful look crosses Ruby’s face before she again looks over her shoulder at Jake. “Take a trip, maybe a couple of trips, get back to some singing and some gambling,” She bites her lip, “And of course to be able to relax and look into your twinkling eyes and see you want me, find that you desire me and discover your other parts agree too,” her eyes twinkle and she giggles, “And get lost in the soft blankets on our bed…when it’s ours again,” Ruby sighs. “So much to look forward to.”

He starts to say something when she drinks hard from the bottle but decides against it. "So much to look forward to, starry nights and certain love." Jake drinks long on the bottle as well and hands it back to her. He grabs some of the cheese and lays flat again with his head resting against her body. He is content to watch the stars and feel her close by.

Ruby plays with Jake’s hair as she hiccups, twisting it around and around her fingers. She lets the disturbing thoughts flee from her mind and the liquor do its job. Everything starts getting happily blurry and a smile comes to her face that doesn’t leave. “So babbeee,” she slurs, “Do you think we’ll always live in Promise City? Do you think one day we’ll have a house of our own?”

"No, I don't think we'll always live in Promise City. We'll get bored and the silver mines will play out. Question is which one happens first. It's a big world out there, plenty to see. Might be nice to just have a home, but then if we are traveling all over creation we might never see it after we build it." Jake chuckles.

Ruby giggles again and tussles Jake’s hair. “I’d like to have a house with you Jacob Alistair Cookie. I don’t care where it is.” Hiccup. “Have you ever been to New York City? You’d like it there. Although there is the pesky problem of my parents being there.”

"I've never been. Father never took the family far from home, he was too busy trying to move up to even look around. As long as your parents are no more than pesky, we can visit New York. After all we have been through, meddling parents just don't compare. I know you don't think so, but Ruby West has grown in many ways. I'm sure they would be expecting the child Constance Grace, and not prepared for the woman my Ruby West has become. No worries, you'll know when it is time to visit New York again."

Ruby ponders but only for a moment. “Alright, take me home baby, I mean wherever home is tonight, I’m getting tired finally. I would like to stay out under the stars but we don’t even know where we are.” Ruby ends her statement with a barrage of hiccups. “Plus I want you to tell me you love me and romance me.”

Ruby stumbles as she tries to get up, over and over. She giggles at herself, unable to get off the ground. “Help me up silly!” she says loudly.

Jake helps her up, and picks up around them. They stagger back to the hotel, asking directions several times and only making a few wrong turns before finally arriving.

Clinging to a dresser, Ruby scrunches her nose at the modest but clean room. “This ihsn’t very romantic or even very nice. This was the besht you could do?”

Jake raises an eyebrow, "I didn't pick out the rooms, Nanuet did and I was busy cha-" Jake drops his duster on the floor and walks over to Ruby. He escorts her to the bed and with a crooked smile pushes her onto it. "Did I ever tell you how alluring you are when you are being fussy?" He puts his hands on her legs and runs them up to her thighs, hoping to find her enchanted dagger or a gun with some magic bullets on the left side. "You'll just have to accept my meager apologies and instead listen to me drone on and on about how much I love you."

“Fhussy!” Ruby exclaims. “Just because I insist on a chertain level of comfort …” She is quickly distracted by Jake’s wandering hands. His hands hit her gun on her right thigh and her enchanted dagger strapped to her left. Ruby pulls herself up on her elbows and watches Jake. She smiles mischievously at him and pulls her skirt up, stopping just short of revealing herself. She raises an eyebrow, “Did you find shomething you were looking for?”

"There is just something dangerously enticing about disarming a woman’s thighs...." Jake mutters and removes the sheath and then holster. The last little bit of concern dissipates allowing him to focus on the task at hand. "No, haven't found it yet so I'll just keep searching.... you know how thorough I can be." Good to his word, Jake was very thorough in his attempts to keep Ruby's thoughts on more pleasant matters.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Sunday, April 9th 1882

Jake did not sleep very soundly and was up at dawn. He dressed quietly and just before he departs the room he turns back and leaves a message on the mirror. He stares quietly at Ruby for a minute before he slips out the door.

Down stairs he inquires about an apothecary or native medicine shop and a gun dealer. Once out on the street he locates someplace where he can buy some quick breakfast and coffee before following the directions the clerk at the hotel gave him.

Ruby wakes with a moan early the next morning and squints at the light filtering in the window. She grabs her head and squeezes it, hoping to make the pain go away. Whether it was all the bourbon, the vocal acrobatics brought on by Jake, or the fact that she was probably still drunk, she had a splitting headache.

She sits up slowly, the room spinning. She dangles her legs over the edge of the bed, trying to will herself to get up. She looks over her shoulder for Jake and furrows her brows when she sees he is gone. Well, this will make what I want to do easier...But where is he?

She dresses very slowly in her traveling outfit from the day before. She attempts to fix her hair but the battle is over before it really begins. As she wages war with her hair she notices a familiar quick scrawl on the mirror in her lipstick: BE BACK SOON. DO YOU STILL LOVE ME TODAY? <DRAWN HEART>

She can't help the silly grin that comes to her face but quickly regrets it as it feels like a boulder pounding on her head. She gently shakes her head then makes her way out. She slips though the door and tries to quietly shut it, but winches even at the small click.

She momentarily rests her head against the door when she notices an elderly couple exiting the next room. They both give her very nasty glances before the woman says, "You should be ashamed of yourself Miss." Not wanting to get into a heated conversation with the morality police she responds with a fake blush, "That's Mrs. I'm quite sorry if we kept you up last night. We're on our honeymoon and I'm afraid my enthusiasm got away with me."

Both the man and the woman return her blush and they apologize before quickly heading off. With a satisfied smile Ruby heads to the front desk and inquires after a doctor. After given directions she gets herself a cup of coffee and quickly makes her way to the doctor's office, pulling her hat as far forward as she can to block the sun.

She finds the door closed and locked so she knocks gently but persistently. "Hello... Doc?"

"After a few moments a man with wild hair and a bushy mustache answers the door while adjusting his suspenders. He has wool pants over full length long johns, neither of which look very clean. "What's the matter miss can't you read, I ain't open yet. Had some business I had to take care of. You Ok? You dying or something?"

As the man is talking to Ruby a young blonde woman squeezes past him in the door way and stumbles out into the street. "Don't worry Doc, I'll see you later, my husband's probably looking for me anyways."

Ruby puts a hand to her head as the blonde rushes out. "Oh, I am SO sorry..."

"Nevermind," he answers before ushering her inside and offering her a seat. "You look pale, what's wrong?"

"Yes... I... I been having some headaches lately. I have a bad one now." She looks him in the eyes. "I'm hoping you can help me."

"Hmm... well I can give you some laudanum, that's what I usually do for headaches." The doctor heads over to a cabinet and fishes in his pockets for some keys. Finally he pulls something out of his pocket and unlocks the lock. He swings the door open and immediately grabs a small bottle off the top shelf. He walks back to the door and makes sure the sign still says closed and then walks towards Ruby. "So miss, how were you expecting to pay for that?" he says with a wink.

"How do your customers normally pay for this?" she asks flatly, grabbing the bottle out of his grubby hands.

The doctor chuckles and shows a toothy grin. "Depends on how bad they want the medicine. Give me $5 and you can have the bottle otherwise we can work out something else."

Ruby reaches down deep into her bodice and pulls out a wad of money. She counts out 5 $1 bills then stuffs the rest back in. "Very professional Doc," she says as she drops the money on a nearby table.

The Doctor continues to smile. "Hey, it's a living. Somebody's gotta cater to you women who need their fix. There are some who can pay and some who can't, so we get a little creative. That way everybody is happy."

Ruby concludes that if her head wasn't pounding she would have slapped the good doctor but instead decides to leave it be. "I'm sure you've found some inventive ways but that is not MY way. Have a good day, doctor."

Ruby hurries out the door and breathes a sigh of relief. She immediately pours a bit into her cold coffee and drinks it down with a satisfied, “Ahhh.”

By the time she gets back to the hotel she is feeling it, her headache slightly relieved and a warm happy feeling inside her. She goes back to their room and without removing any clothes, collapses blissfully onto the Jakeless bed.

It is nearly ten o'clock when Jake returns to the hotel with all he sought. Though he is bone tired, there is still a spring in his step. I suppose I can't be sure, he thinks to himself, but last night was promising. It could have gone far worse. I think I helped her. Hermes, I would care to know for sure though

Jake enters the room and finds Ruby still sleeping. He gently shakes her shoulder. "Good morning."

Ruby cracks open her eyes and moans dreamily, "Good morning baby." She lazily reaches out her arms for him. "Where did you go?"

"Last night you gave me an idea. I went to buy what we needed. I don't know if we'll need to do this or not but it is always good to have something in our pocket to improve our odds." She look him questioningly. "You thought I could kill you. Well I don't know if I could ever do that, and I don't want to even think about it. Its not important if you or I think that is true.... but what if someone else thought it was true?" Jake proceeds to tell her his plan.

Ruby eyes widen and she sits up on her elbows. Speaking slowly she says seriously, "You're going to shoot me? And kill me? This is your plan?"

Then she breaks into soft giggles, "You worry too much. Why don't you worry about kissing me instead?" And she again tries to get her arms around Jake's neck.

Jake lets her put her arms around him. "Are you listening to me?" He looks around the room for a bottle that Ruby may have gotten into. "Did you start drinking again this morning?"

Ruby squeezes Jake. "Yes, I'm listening darling. No, I did not start drinking again today, if you mean the bourbon, although we really did drink a lot of it last night. I had some coffee and a headache." She glances over to the small table to double check she kept the bottle from the doc in the pocket of her coat. She makes sure not to look too long into Jake's eyes, just in case.

"Can you blame me for wanting your sweet and sexy kisses?" She giggles.

"Ok, ok, the plan. Yes, it's a good plan. While I am loathe to get out of bed I'd rather go find out if this plan will work so we can get back home and celebrate."

Jake relaxes a little. "Good. Let us get packed up and out of this cramped," he is turned away when he says this and grins, "little hotel room and on our way. I'm going to sleep on the stage ride." He packs up what little he unpacked and carries their load down stairs when Ruby is ready.

"Me too! Sleep on the stage that is." Ruby carefully chose her dress for the day, leaving behind her dirty travel dress for Jake to pack away. The thought occurs to Ruby that is she dressing for him but quickly pushes the thought out of her mind.

After Jake brings everything down Ruby also comes down and sits in the small restaurant. She orders another coffee and when it arrives she skillfully takes out her little bottle and holds it under the table while she puts a few drops in. Smiling happily she drinks her coffee and waits for Jake and the others to join her.

Ruby's eyes lit up when she saw Maddie. Ruby started to stand and call out "K.." but Jake noticed and quickly pulled her back into her chair and put a hand over her mouth. He gave her "the look" and she nodded, remembering Kate was in disguise for a reason.

Jake slowly takes his hand off Ruby's mouth and she smiles at him. "Thanks, I forgot," and she waits for Maddie to join them.

Nanuet and Minerva enjoyed a lazy morning in bed, but eventually Nanuet had to get up and see what was going on with the others. By 10:00 Jake had returned so he gathered all his and Minerva's belongings and the couple joined their companions downstairs at the hotel.

"Glad to see everybody made it back safely. Maddie is it? I see you are enjoying my friends company again. Still about 2 hours till the stage leaves. Anything we need to do until then?"

"I'm free as a bird," Maddie said smiling. "What could anyone have to do on such a fine morning? I had a lovely night last night. The bartender from next door took me dancing."

She chatted on, hoping they would understand what she was telling them. "I'm a little worried. He said Thomaswell is kind of worn out, a lot of people have left. I hope my family is still there, these boomtowns really go bust when they go. I don't know why anyone would want to live there, I can't live without plenty of other people around me, kind of feeds my spirit to meet lots of new people. But I suppose some people like a small place where they know everyone."

"Dancing!" Ruby exclaims loudly, "You went dancing without me?" She turns to Jake, "Why didn't we go dancing?"

She takes another sip of her coffee with another, “Ahhhhh.”

"So what are you saying? There's no people left in Thomasville?"

"Oh, sure there's people. It's still a town there. But the railroad used to stop there or something and now it doesn't anymore. So they used to be busy all the time and now it's quiet. I guess maybe some saloons and hotels closed up. I don't know what else people do there, but apparently some of them are still doing it.

I guess it's silly to think my Aunt and Uncle would have moved away. They'd have told us."

Chester joins the group. He acts surprised that Maddie has also joined them. "Good morning Maddie. Are you going to Thomaswell, too?" He whispers to her, "It looks like you had fun last night. You might not have seen me at the dance hall. I was in a shadowed corner. I trailed him back to his place, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary."

Ruby sits quietly, for a change, and lets everyone else talk details. I know what I have to do...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases