Wildshape to Legendary Animals (MotW)

fba827

Adventurer
Okay, I was answering someone else's question about wildshaping and it got me thinking about this ...

(The concept of Legendary Animals is out of "Masters of the Wild" - they are basically even bigger versions of animals than dire animals.. like a legendary wolf, etc...)

Anyway, should we let a druid wildshape into a Legendary Animal?

I was thinking that perhaps a druid could use up the wildshape elemental to turn into a legendary animal.

Elementals are perhaps stronger (?) so I don't see this as being a bad option from a balance stand point. (though, PLEASE someone correct me if I am wrong).

That left me with some options and I thought I would see what the masses thought ...

1) Make it so that any druid can do this - basically, a blanket modification to the druid class itself:
A druid may use up a wildshape elemental use for the day to instead wildshape into a legendary animal

2) Make is to that only druids who take a special feat can do this:
Legendary Wild Shape [Wildshape]
Prerequisites: Wildshape Elemental ability
You may use a wildshape elemental slot for the day to instead wildshape into a legendary animal

Of course, with option 2, i run into the slight problem with when the feat could be aquired. Presume a single-classed druid. He would gain wildshape elemental at 16th level. His next feat gain isn't until level 18. would it make sense to let 2 levels go by for everyone before they could use this?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Zack2216

First Post
Let me correct you. Legendary animals to normal animals is like Mighty mouse to a normal mouse. Legendary animals are the same size as their normal counterparts.

I normally houserule that you can save featslots for later. If you allow it, then I am sure their should be no problem. With shapechange you can turn into a legendary animal at lvl 17.

I was at the WotC boards the other day and someone posted something very interesting concerning using alternate forms and extra attacks with a high base attack bonus.

let me give an example.

Lets say a level 20 druid turns into a legendary bear (through any means)
BAB 15/10/5

the L.Bear as 1 bight and 2 claw attacks (which will be refered to as the natural attack sequence)

with the natural attack sequence, the druid attacks at:
Claws- + 27/2d6+13
bite- + 22/4d6+6

with the weapon attack bonus (as if you were attacking with an unnatural weapon)
main weapon: claw- 27/22/17
extra natural attacks: claw 27
bite 22

This all is 5 attacks. Am I right about this?

Zack2216

First Post
can you say that about elementals and their slam attacks? No, because they get iterative attacks with a natural weapon, but this could be because they only have 1 natural attack.

Like I said, they have been discussing this at the WotC boards, and they seem to disagree with you. Yes, you can use the normal attack method, but you can also choose a main weapon and get extra attacks because of your other natural weapons.

this link will take you there
http://boards.wizards.com/rpg/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=220;t=000343

Last edited:

Remove ads