Ruling on Reluctant Combat

Kathryn_aka_Kat

First Post
Hi, Wizos! Could you possibly comment on this?

The scenario is that CharA has challenged CharB to combat. CharB doesn't really want to fight, but agrees for whatever reason. They go to the Arena/Clearing. CharB will fight, but only defensively. CharA doesn't like this and attacks sometimes but mostly tries to goad CharB into attacking. Result: lots of role-playing and very little actual combat, until eventually someone gets disgusted enough to leave and go back to the main area.

Is this inappropriate use of the combat areas? If it is, then how else should this be handled?

W

WizO_Reesa

The combat rooms are for battles only, so if it's a situation where one person doesn't want to fight and another does, first establish between the players if they want to fight and what kind of fight it will be. (for example: CharA wants to fight CharB, they start shooting insults and CharB seems reluctant to get into the fight, CharA's player should then PM CharB's player and the two should establish if something is happening and if not, what should happen. If there's going to be no fight, the they should not go to the Clearing (or Arena if that's the case) to trade insults and the odd shot.

The main reason for this is, if there's a lot of role-playing and very little actual battle, it could be mistaken for role-playing in the incorrect room and as such, you could receive a warning for that. The battle rooms are to keep the fights out of the main room. Trading insults and the odd blow in the main rooms is alright, as long as it does not get to be disruptive to the room.

That's my opinion on it, but perhaps Adele has a different view.

Reesa

Andion Isurand

First Post
If there is a chance a scene could break out in violence, then people should play the scene out in the clearing or arena.

Sometimes characters who get into a conflict don't have to take it to the next level for bloodlust. They should not be punished if they don't take things to that next step when playing out a scene in the clearing or arena.

Some insult exchanges can be disruptive when it takes place in the emporium or the tavern. Most of this activity is not inappropriate for censorship reasons and is within the scope of normal human activity.

If there is no space for this activity to take place when it occurs, then the rooms are 'incomplete'.

And besides, I don't think being in the clearing or arena should be like watching a silent movie where the chartacters are expected to just show up and duke it out without words while others watch in silence.

Nugan

First Post
Actually, limited combat or pre-combat banter is allowed in the non-combat rooms, so long as it does not become a room disruption, right? (According to the CoC, not the IC laws, which are only for handing out IC fines and bounties and whatnot).

So, if you think the situation might involved a little fighting, but mostly insults or whatever, you probably shouldn't take the chance of being misinterpretted, and not leave the CRT or Emporium at all.

W

WizO_Bailey

That sounds right to me, Nugan.

Unfortunatily I checked all related documentation to ISRP but I couldn't find anything clear on the subject. I know that pre- and post-fight role playing is discouraged, as people can get carried away and forget that the room they are in is not for that.

It's best, just to be safe, not to enter a combat room until you are ready for the fight. Then we don't get annoyed and you don't get warned. ;)

But it seems like a bit of a grey area right now in the eyes of everyone. I think I'll go ask the rest of the ISRP WizOs and see if it is a personal decision made per WizO at what they think of the situation, or if it's totally black and white.

W

WizO_Adele

I think this is appropriate for the combat rooms. So long as there is interspersed combat it should be acceptable. However, I also want to say this is a gray area and it might be hard for WizO's to be able to accurately judge, so if a WizO questions your use, please be patient with them and communicate this. And please use your best judgment to determine when to transfer to and out of the combat rooms. If the verbal sparring is bothering those in the non combat rooms, it might be time to switch. However, if the physical sparring has stopped, and the intent of the other character to no longer fight is clear (IC or OOC) then one might consider switching back to the non combat rooms, especially if others are checking in to the room, or patiently waiting.

S

shadow of death

I am of the opinion that Role playing takes place during combat and vice versa, combat can take place during role playing. I feel that the rules are a bit on the strict side when it comes to combat vs role playing. tensions build and insults are thrown that lead up to combat. and during the combat, the combatants do talk back and forth. I have found that, when in combat, no sooner do I say something without swinging my sword, casting a spell or whatnot, I get yelled at for roleplaying in the combat zone. I think there should be some quarter given during combat.

my two cents anyway

I

Incensius

I for one might be wrong but i think that as wraith said there is a certain ammount of role-playing to every battle. That's what makes them fun. In real life however, during a fight you wouldn't see a person stop to make fun of the other or give the other a chance at him just in order to say "I thought you could do better". However, in the fights played here there has to be some role-play, for the story and for the story of each combatant.
Such as, you can't tell charA that is a halfdragon (red) to not put in some sarcastic little comment, or you can't ask the celestial fighting the demon to not say something about the light always winning...

W

WizO_Pounamu

There is a difference between a little taunting and just role playing. You are not likely to be warned if your character pauses to make a derogatory (ic, within the CoC please) comment about their opponant.

What is likely to get you trouble is if you spend, say, 10 - 15min on just the taunting, pre-battle stuff, especially if it doesn't seem like you're actually getting to the combat.

Same goes for if you drag out after-battle stuff. It shouldn't take you half an hour to heal someone or exchange promises of "next time your head is mine". In my opinion, you wouldn't want to keep someone badly injured in a combat place anyway (ic), in case someone's sent in to finish them off.

But what you would certainly get trouble for is using the room as a quieter place to talk or do deals. (I've often had people try to justify talking about someone's kids or how much they love each other/don't love each other anymore as "we are going to fight soon" and let me say, nobody believes it.)
If you're in a combat room, I don't see any reason to be there unless you're fighting or watching a fight. (If you're watching, please be sure most of your comments to whoever's watching with you are in PMs so that those fighting can read what's going on. Anyway, fighters are unlikely to hear what's said up in the stands or in the fringes of the Clearing if they're in mortal combat.)

Remove ads