The Meeting Place - Discussions and so forth

A

Adept_Eliria

Question time... :D

Setting

There are more for curiosity than actual necessity:
-They just legalized same-sex marriages in Canada. Will they be doing so/have done so in NYC, 2030?
-Is the President Republican or Democrat?
-What will be the stance on human cloning and other controversial technology?

Aaaand... back to the topic at hand. :blush:

Bar food... mm... White Zinfandel! And cheese! Brie cheese. :) French foods would be nice. Something classy.

What exactly will the bot be? A robot? Some sort of machine? AI? One of those weird Star Trek things that materialize food (okay, a bit too far out)?

Ria.

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Nugan said:
I like the DJ idea as well. I have a sugestion on how to make it work:

Why don't we have some players make DJ characters? That way the DJs would be able to take real song request and bring some of the personality to the club that real DJs would. It would also prevent the powers that be from having to program a special DJ bot.

I know there are a few problems with that idea (What happens if two DJs want to play at the same time, for example), but they could probably be overcome with some discussion.

Good idea on having players create DJ characters, but there are a few flaws in that.

1. What about when there aren't any DJs around?
This was the reason I suggested the programmed Bot. Having the Bot would allow for extended watch hours and make the room more realistic ( Characters will know what is playing, rather than guessing, which could create confusion if some in the room are acting to rock, and others to hip-hop for example. ). And the bypass system would allow the WizOs more control over it when they are around.

2. As Nugan mentioned, what if two DJs wish to take the stage?
I have a solution to this, and it could even turn into an event idea. How about DJ Battles, where two DJs compete to show off their respective skills and abilities with their form of music. With proper organization and a little work, these could become a part of the TMP experience, and it would add another level of reality to the environment.

And on that note, I have another idea:
How about putting in a stage so that players can create bands with their characters and have an "Open Mic Night" of sorts, during hosted hours, once every week or so? I think something like that could add a way not only for characters to interact with each other, but it could also be a fun event to observe, even if one doesn't want to participate. With something like an "Open Mic Night" once in a while, it might open up possibilities for interesting developments for the involved characters. For example, what if there are record executives or the like in the crowd? It could open up a whole new carreer for the band, and encourage more interaction with others.

Just another suggestion :) .

R

Rhane Arturant

Bands?
Stage?
Open Mic Night?
Well -theres- an idea I like.

Could maybe host little competitions like that, like how Reesa hosts the dances in the other rooms. Could give out little IC prizes and stuff. Could be a fun idea to expand on. :)

J

Jace the Raver

Have to say, I like the DJ idea. I think it really would add a nice touch of realism..After all, nightclubs tend to make a point of their music (What with the hoarse voices after shouting over da music for a couple of hours, grumbling at the crap, and laughing at inept DJ's..erm..*Needs to find a better club, anywho*) I think it would best to have a bot made to do it, if possible, given the fact that..few people would be willing to sit about for hours just typing in the music that's happening.

Pricing should definitly be high. It's a club! It's where they charge you extorionist rates for the privilage of buying dollar-drinks for five, heh. A club just wouldn't be a club otherwise.

Also like Thar's idea about the open-mic night ;) Think of all the fun we've had listening to bards play in the Emporium and CRT...Why not encourage that s'more? DJ battles would be a bit tougher, given the fact that few understand 'xactly what goes on in one, heh...Maybe I'm just a touch slower then most, but I personally can't follow half of what D.J.'s say. People would probally complain if lines of text were going by that meant nothing to the masses. Much the same problem with the music thing at all..Folk will most likely gripe about the constant reminders that they're in a club, ya know?

*Meanders back off, waiting to pounce on the room..when it opens..sniff*

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

Originally posted by Jace the Raver
DJ battles would be a bit tougher, given the fact that few understand 'xactly what goes on in one, heh...Maybe I'm just a touch slower then most, but I personally can't follow half of what D.J.'s say.

Hmm, good point. Running a DJ battle would be tricky if the players watching weren't aware of how a DJ battle runs. I myself listen to a combination of rock and rap, so I know a bit about DJ battling, and I'll provide a brief run through. In a DJ Battle, two DJs test their skills against each other, typicall by using a display of scratches, blending music, adding samples, crossing two songs together ( using one set of lyrics over another set of music ), and at times, mixing in freeform verses over the music being played.
If you've ever seen a band like The Crystal Method, then you've got an idea of what this would be like. It's not so much based on actual performance of and showmanship the performers as it is on ability and complexity of the performance.

Or at least that's my interpretation, I'm sure that someone who focuses more on rap culture would have a better example, but that's the way I see things.

Originally posted by Rhane Arturant
Could maybe host little competitions like that, like how Reesa hosts the dances in the other rooms. Could give out little IC prizes and stuff. Could be a fun idea to expand on. :)

Great idea, band contests could work im my opinion.
Maybe a "Battle of the Bands" could be run every so often, and let the players of the audience decide who wins based on the performance of the players in the bands ( Of course, impartiality would be unlikely, but that's beside the point :rolleyes: ). I'd like to see something like that happen, and I'd be likely to participate in them as well.

W

WizO_Reesa

Nugan said:
I like the DJ idea as well. I have a sugestion on how to make it work:

Why don't we have some players make DJ characters? That way the DJs would be able to take real song request and bring some of the personality to the club that real DJs would. It would also prevent the powers that be from having to program a special DJ bot.

I know there are a few problems with that idea (What happens if two DJs want to play at the same time, for example), but they could probably be overcome with some discussion.

That's a good idea Nugan. A great way to get around 2 DJs at the same time is to find out who's interested in playing "DJ" and posting a time slot for them to "work". That way, someone would know DJ-X is on tonight. Kind of like at real Night Clubs where they post the DJ of the night. Some people have their favourites and go on that night. It could work really well that way. :)

W

WizO_Reesa

Adept_Eliria said:
Question time... :D
Ria, you always have intesting questions. :)
Setting

There are more for curiosity than actual necessity:

-They just legalized same-sex marriages in Canada. Will they be doing so/have done so in NYC, 2030?

I would have to say that they would. With the way the world is going nowadays, I would have to believe it would become second nature in 2030.

-Is the President Republican or Democrat?

Honestly, I don't believe that this will be an issue for the chat room due to the fact that we want to keep political debates off site. I'll check with my partner though and get back to you. :)

-What will be the stance on human cloning and other controversial technology?

This is something I will need to discuss with my partner before I comment on this. I'll get back to you on it Ria.

Aaaand... back to the topic at hand. :blush:

Bar food... mm... White Zinfandel! And cheese! Brie cheese. :) French foods would be nice. Something classy.

Since the Meeting Place is a Night Club in an Upper-Middle class area, I don't know that having "classy" foods would make sense. I'm not a Night Club goer though, so I'm really not sure. Anyone have a comment on this?

What exactly will the bot be? A robot? Some sort of machine? AI? One of those weird Star Trek things that materialize food (okay, a bit too far out)?

This still needs to be decided upon so what do you all think? Something that's a "person", a robot, or a simulator (like on Star Trek) or something different?
Ria.

Keep the thoughts and comments coming though. We are still working on the planning process so we want to know what you guys think. :)

~ Reesa

W

WizO_Reesa

Tharivious_Meliamne said:
Hmm, good point. Running a DJ battle would be tricky if the players watching weren't aware of how a DJ battle runs. I myself listen to a combination of rock and rap, so I know a bit about DJ battling, and I'll provide a brief run through. In a DJ Battle, two DJs test their skills against each other, typicall by using a display of scratches, blending music, adding samples, crossing two songs together ( using one set of lyrics over another set of music ), and at times, mixing in freeform verses over the music being played.
If you've ever seen a band like The Crystal Method, then you've got an idea of what this would be like. It's not so much based on actual performance of and showmanship the performers as it is on ability and complexity of the performance.

Or at least that's my interpretation, I'm sure that someone who focuses more on rap culture would have a better example, but that's the way I see things.

Reesa's Comments: I don't think a battle of DJs would work too well on a text based site. Perhaps it could be done, but I think this would be too confusing.

Great idea, band contests could work im my opinion.
Maybe a "Battle of the Bands" could be run every so often, and let the players of the audience decide who wins based on the performance of the players in the bands ( Of course, impartiality would be unlikely, but that's beside the point :rolleyes: ). I'd like to see something like that happen, and I'd be likely to participate in them as well.

Reesa's Comment: A "Battle of the Bands" would be possible and yeah, it would probably get people voting for their friends, but it could be fun. With it being a simple IC contest, with IC prizes, it may not be so bad. I think this could be fun.

Nugan

First Post
A few more thoughts:

Foodbots: I'm not sure on this one. The obvious thing would be to make it a "waiter" or "bartender" bot, but it seems kinda odd having a bot represent someone that's supposed to a living/talking human being. Perhaps you could have it be a large vending machine. Not a robot or a food replicator (or whatever those Star Trek things are called), which seem a bit too futuristic for twenty years in the future, but a slightly more advance version of today's vending machines. It seems reasonable that such a "self-serve" policy could be taken to prevent them from paying a waiter/bartender. That's assuming the vending machines of the future would have better sercuity and a wider selection than those of today.

Food: The whole preztels, chips, Buffalo Wings thing makes sense to me. I don't see a night club serving much more than drinks and snacks, but than again I've never actually been to a night club...

DJ/Band Battles: As Reesa said, DJ battles wouldn't be that effect in text. Its kinda hard to "hear" the music no matter how vividly someone describes it. Band battle would work well though. Rap freestyle battle would be fun too (Of course the language/content would have to be a bit different from most freestyle battles, due to the CoC).

Remove ads