Age of Worms: Act I - The Whispering Cairn

Verbatim

Explorer
Orin: [sblock] Venelle had seemed distracted this morning as she instructed you in your archery lessons this morning, glancing into the dark clouds that had moved over the town during the night hours. More than once your arrows struck closer to the center of the target than hers’ did, and while you are no longer a novice to the bow, you could count on one hand the number of times you had beaten her during one of your lessons.

Even afterwards, when she seemed to admit to herself she was distracted, she simply told you to unload the wagon in the back of the store and once you were finished, the rest of the day was yours.

The work passed quickly, as mindless work always seemed to do, and before long you were in the foothills that surround Diamond Lake. As the first fat drops of rain begin to fall, you remember the empty mine office not far from where you are that would provide you with some temporary shelter from the storm that is brewing. [/sblock]

Chryse: [sblock] The building was one you had never seen before, yet your footsteps were confident as you approached it. The holes in the roof seemed to speak of the neglect of the dwelling, but you knew that what you sought was there.

Follow the hawk my brother…dark times are approaching, yet we shall guide them to safety. Know that I am with you…

Opening your eyes to the dark morning sky, you quickly gathered your belongings and stood at the crossroads of the Vein awaiting your sign.

True to Apollo’s words, you soon saw a golden hawk land on the sign of Lazare’s House and stared down at you with its regal gaze. Then just as quickly as it landed, it took to the air leaving you behind, with the rain beginning to fall. [/sblock]

Shadow:[sblock]You had listened to that bragging buffoon Auric all night last night, telling of how he won the Champion’s Belt in Greyhawk and boasting that there were none in Diamond Lake that would make it past the first round in the upcoming Game. However, the lout was free with his silvers and you knew that if you could hold your tongue, you might make more in a night than you normally make in a week.

Then his companion entered the bar, a dark-haired man wearing a high-collared red cape that was fastened with a skull clasp over his green jerkins and pants. Although his face was unlined, the receding hairline, heavily streaked with gray, showed he was far older than the brash warrior.

To say the cloaked man was angry with his friends antics would have been an understatement, but the newcomer, Khellek you were sure the larger man called him, ignored you as if you were far below his attention. While you were only able to catch bits and pieces of the conversation, it was enough to quicken your pulse and rekindle your hope that perhaps your ticket out of this place had arrived.
I know there must be something there….they would not know empty from full…in the Cairn hills, I am sure of it…Tirra will do as I say, and question me far less…we leave in the morning…the empty mine office will be a marker…

Sleep did not come easy to you as you could think of only one mine office that was not being used in the hills outside of town. It was used as a place where the younger kids would go when they had snuck a bottle of their father’s whiskey away from his notice, or a place where two people could be alone for a little while. If there was treasure in the old mine, perhaps you could beat them to it, how hard could it be?

Dressing quickly the following morning, you spent those well earned silvers getting your supplies and convincing the stable hand to look the other way while you examined the braggart’s, and companions’, mounts. Weakening the straps on the saddles would only be a temporary inconvenience, but every minute you had as a head start would be more than you would have otherwise.

Slipping out the back of the barn, you pulled your cloak up over your head and left for the mine office as the first heavy drop of rain fell from the clouds.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Verbatim

Explorer
Jorun:[sblock] You had long since learned that when your father called for someone, it was not in their best interest to keep him waiting, even if it meant that your breakfast would be taken cold this morning.

Walking through the stone keep that housed the soldiers of the garrison, you quickly came to your father’s door and unconsciously adjusted your sword belt and glanced to make sure that your tunic was clean and pressed.

Knocking on the door, you waited a moment before opening it and speaking the greeting all soldiers serving under Captain Tolliver Trask, decorated officer of the Greyhawk wars and garrison commander of Diamond Lake, were required to say, son or no son of the man himself.

”Sergeant Jorun Trask reporting for duty, sir.”

”Enter Sergeant, and close the door behind you.”

Stepping inside your father’s office once again you were reminded that all the man knew was how to be a soldier. His bed was a simple canvas cot, and had been since your mother had passed away, and while some officers had moved feathered beds into their quarters, all knew that when Tolliver said he would sleep as privates did, he meant it. His desk was covered with small neat stacks of documents that awaited his signature, blessing, or thoughts and while you remember growing up hearing him say that it would be paper not steel that finally killed him, it was not until you began serving with him that you fully understood the depth of that statement.

As the door closed, the senior Trask stood up from the desk and began walking towards you and for a moment you thought the man might be wishing to speak to you as a father to his youngest son, vice a Captain to a Sergeant. However, that thought was quickly dashed by the simple blunt statement that came next.

”There have been goblins spotted outside of town Sergeant, and I think you should take a ride out to investigate Chief Sandovar’s sighting. They are holing up in a shack about an hour’s ride away, the one all the kids think we forget about once gray begins to show. Chief says they are small in number, so I see no need to send others with you, unless you feel it is needed?”

”If the Captain sees no need, I trust that Heironeous would not guide him wrong.”

”Then you are dismissed Sergeant, I trust you will have this matter resolved with all expedience. No need for the Mayor to feel we are not keeping the town secure under our watch.”

Turning around and heading back to his desk, you turned to reach for the door latch when your father spoke, much softer this time.

”Be careful son, and ride in the light.”

Leaving his office and heading for the stables, the dark storm clouds matched your mood exactly. [/sblock]

Samuel: [sblock] You can still hear Jim’s excited words echoing in your mind as the rocky trail heading into the foothills led you closer to the shack he had told you of this morning over breakfast.

”I’m telling you Sam, those three big shots are looking for something, but they don’t know they are getting duped by one of Smenk’s bartenders. Augustus nearly burst himself wanting to tell me after the guy left the barn they had their horses in. Paid Gus with some odd silver coins he must have gotten from when he was milking them for information. He hasn’t been gone more than thirty minutes Sam. You find him, let him know what you can do, and he’d be a fool not to let you help him; especially if you let him know that you know he managed to dupe those strangers. This is it Sam, this is your chance to get the hell out of here.”

Ten minutes later, you found yourself rushing out in the rain with only a vague idea of where you were going, and an even vaguer idea of who you were looking for. However, there was one thing you could not deny, this could be your ticket out of here and you would be damned if you were going to let any chance slip out of your grasp. [/sblock]

Damien:[sblock] You could still smell Tirra’s perfume in your cloak and the exotic smell of it made you wonder if the elvish woman’s whispered promises were truth, or merely something to shock you into making a bad toss with the throwing daggers while you were playing Rings. If they were truths, you felt as if your face would never resume its normal shade of color, but if they were distractions, then it was no wonder that Tirra had not lost since she and her companions had came into town three days ago.

However, you had managed to fare better than all the others who had challenged her, and while she had complimented you on your luck, you quickly drained your mug of ale to keep a stammering tongue from showing just how nervous she made you. When she had turned her attention to the others who had sought to prove their mettle to her, although none faired as well as you had the rest of the night, you grabbed your cloak from your chair and left the Feral Dog to return to your home. It was as you were fastening the cloak you saw the note in your inner pocket.

Not bad for a horse hand. Keep practicing and one day you might get to find out if I do keep my promises. Since you might want to get some better daggers to practice with, why not try your luck at something more exciting than playing with horses all day. We are going to be too busy to check this place out, but maybe you might find a few stray silvers that someone overlooked. Keep your blades sharp.

It was a simple map leading to what many of the locals called the Whispering Cavern, and while you knew of it only through second hand sources, you knew enough to know that there was nothing there anymore.

Or was there?

You have always been lucky in games of chance, and was there a bigger gamble than finding something that some others might have overlooked in their haste?

Time to toss the dice and decide…[/sblock]

hippocrachus

First Post
The words of his god were a sweet paean in his ears, and he obeyed loyally their command. When the hawk took flight, Chryse raised the haft of his spear and offered thanks.
I will not fail you, Phoebus Apollo!

Confidence in his purpose soon faded as he stood staring up at the ramshackle building.
Someone inside may need healing, I should not hesitate! with that, Chryse approached the threshold and rapped loudly on the door.
"Who is it that would leave a Healer at their portal in the rain? Open your doors to me, so that I may dry myself by your hearth! No good has ever come to those that would turn their backs to a Man of God!" he claimed, showing no apprehension in his duties or the duties of others.

Last edited:

Majin

First Post
Damien stared at the map that laid unrolled in his hands, studying it with subdued interest. Thinking it would be better used as a betting chip he rolled it back up and slipped it into his cloak for later. He found himself not far from his home, but hesitated.

Rubbing his hands together he said to himself with a smile, "Not a hard decision, now is it?" as he turned quickly on his heels and made off in the direction of Lazare's. Perhaps he could make a little coin tonight wagering on a few chess games? He patted the map under his cloak and with a slight grin to himself, quickened his pace.

Last edited:

Verbatim

Explorer
The mine office has definately seen its better days with the roof in dire need of repairs and the paint faded and peeling in several large patches. A large twisted pine struggled to claim its existance near the left side of the office. As Chryse banged on the door, he heard a rustling from the trees to his side and through the pouring rain watched as three avain shapes took wing and began flying towards him, a long thin serrated beak dominating each of their features.

OOC:[sblock]Going to pause this for a moment to allow the others to catch up. Then it is on like Donkey Kong.[/sblock]

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Shadow:[sblock]You had listened to that bragging buffoon Auric all night last night, telling of how he won the Champion’s Belt in Greyhawk and boasting that there were none in Diamond Lake that would make it past the first round in the upcoming Game. However, the lout was free with his silvers and you knew that if you could hold your tongue, you might make more in a night than you normally make in a week.

Then his companion entered the bar, a dark-haired man wearing a high-collared red cape that was fastened with a skull clasp over his green jerkins and pants. Although his face was unlined, the receding hairline, heavily streaked with gray, showed he was far older than the brash warrior.

To say the cloaked man was angry with his friends antics would have been an understatement, but the newcomer, Khellek you were sure the larger man called him, ignored you as if you were far below his attention. While you were only able to catch bits and pieces of the conversation, it was enough to quicken your pulse and rekindle your hope that perhaps your ticket out of this place had arrived.
I know there must be something there….they would not know empty from full…in the Cairn hills, I am sure of it…Tirra will do as I say, and question me far less…we leave in the morning…the empty mine office will be a marker…

Sleep did not come easy to you as you could think of only one mine office that was not being used in the hills outside of town. It was used as a place where the younger kids would go when they had snuck a bottle of their father’s whiskey away from his notice, or a place where two people could be alone for a little while. If there was treasure in the old mine, perhaps you could beat them to it, how hard could it be?

Dressing quickly the following morning, you spent those well earned silvers getting your supplies and convincing the stable hand to look the other way while you examined the braggart’s, and companions’, mounts. Weakening the straps on the saddles would only be a temporary inconvenience, but every minute you had as a head start would be more than you would have otherwise.

Slipping out the back of the barn, you pulled your cloak up over your head and left for the mine office as the first heavy drop of rain fell from the clouds.[/sblock][/QUOTE]

Gods this hellish weather! I would much rather be in the arms of some lass than be stuck out here under this relentless rain. Then again if Khelleck is interested in these surroundings then it well may be worth the trek out here. Hmmm, well there is the old mining office now I wonder if I was able to get here before they did, I guess we will find out.

Upon seeing the mine office I will attempt to stealthily approach from the read of the bldg to take a look inside and also attempt to make note of any tracks that might be around the area. Also will want to take a look to see if there are any tracks leading away form the bldg and which direction they go.

(ooc: Hide +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +7, Search +7, Spot +4)

Verbatim

Explorer
Approaching the building from the eastern side, Shadow sees a young man garbed in a white tunic knocking on the door of the office and demanding entrance. As he is knocking, three avian shapes detach themselves from the pine branch they were sitting beside the office and begin flying towards him. As the young man turns to face them, you see his features remain calm and you recognize him as the newest prophet that has popped up in town, preaching on the blessings of some god you have never heard of before.

You also see several sets of boot prints around the side area of the house, but as the rain increases the tracks are quickly getting washed away.

Verbatim

Explorer
As Damien entered Lazare’s House, he immediately saw the difference in the clientele between here and the Feral Dog where he had just left. As he removed his cloak, a dwarven server approached him, his pressed shirt immaculate and his black boots polished to a mirror shine.

”Is there something I can help you with, sir?”

Although his tone was carefully polite, Damien could tell that the server obviously thought he had walked into the wrong building.

hippocrachus

First Post
Now very concerned for the inhabitants of the building, after seeing the needle-nosed creatures take flight, Chryse raises his shield and hoists his spear under his arm to give it a better hold. He calls out one last time to the owner for sanctuary.
"For the love of Apollo, open your door!" he yells back at the still closed portal; his own back now pressed firmly against it.
Why does no one answer me!?!

Verbatim

Explorer
Turning to face the creatures, Chryse feels the rain soaking through his garments and threatening his grip on the smooth wooden haft of the shortspear he held. Backing up against the door, he managed to work his shield up time to block the first of the birds, while twisting his body to dodge the quick aerial lunges of the other two.

Init:
Chryse: 18
Stirges: 11

OOC Combat:[sblock] Stirges closed in and attacked for their actions. Attack rolls of 5, 7, and 8. It seems Apollo is looking out for his faithful at the moment.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases