Battle Sorcerer or Fighter/Sorcerer?

RookSeven

First Post
I'm in the process of making a character based off of the Bastard anime's Dark Schneider. He's a Fire Sorcerer who's pretty good in a swordfight. My question was do you think it would be more effective to create a Fighter/Sorcerer or to just take the Battle Sorcerer package (I believe it's listed in Unearthed Arcana). I was considering making his race Death-Touched, but if I go the route of Fighter/Sorcerer I was considering an Illumian to help offset the loss of Caster Levels. Any pointers or advice would be most welcome.

mikebr99

Explorer
RookSeven said:
I'm in the process of making a character based off of the Bastard anime's Dark Schneider. He's a Fire Sorcerer who's pretty good in a swordfight. My question was do you think it would be more effective to create a Fighter/Sorcerer or to just take the Battle Sorcerer package (I believe it's listed in Unearthed Arcana). I was considering making his race Death-Touched, but if I go the route of Fighter/Sorcerer I was considering an Illumian to help offset the loss of Caster Levels. Any pointers or advice would be most welcome.
You might want to look at the Warmage from MH or CA.

Mike

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Does the warmage get medium BAB progression? I thought it was still poor, like a sorcerer, but I might be remembering wrong. Battle Sorcerer does get the medium (cleric) BAB progression, as well as d8 hit dice and a single martial weapon proficiency. I think it's the better choic if you're going to do any melee.

kenobi65

First Post
JimAde said:
Does the warmage get medium BAB progression? I thought it was still poor, like a sorcerer, but I might be remembering wrong. Battle Sorcerer does get the medium (cleric) BAB progression, as well as d8 hit dice and a single martial weapon proficiency. I think it's the better choic if you're going to do any melee.

I believe you're right, warmage isn't particularly skilled in martial combat; he's just really good at blowing stuff up. Battle Sorcerer give you a better mix, but you really do get a limited number of spells (though you can make up for that with wands, staffs, scrolls, etc.)

mikebr99

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
I believe you're right, warmage isn't particularly skilled in martial combat; he's just really good at blowing stuff up. Battle Sorcerer give you a better mix, but you really do get a limited number of spells (though you can make up for that with wands, staffs, scrolls, etc.)
You are both right... poor BAB for the Warmage.

RookSeven, you might also consider the eldritch knight PrC from the DMG.

FIghter 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight x

Or just Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight x... if you come from the right part of FR. ;)

Mike

werk

First Post
I'm currently playing a deathtouched battle sorcerer. The reduced number of spells known/spells per day is limiting, but I am much more useful in combat. Don't forget they get light armor proficiency and ignore ASF on light armor.

I would definitely go battle sorcerer over ftr/sor so you can maintain caster level.

I tried to get my DM to stack battle sorcerer and sorcerer, but that didn't fly. (it says in variant classes, in multiple places, to specifically never allow them to stack)

My plan is to go to battle sorcerer up to level 6, then start adding levels of dragon disciple.

Drowbane

First Post
mikebr99 said:
You are both right... poor BAB for the Warmage.

RookSeven, you might also consider the eldritch knight PrC from the DMG.

FIghter 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight x

Or just Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight x... if you come from the right part of FR. ;)

Mike

Or Fi 1 / Warmage 6 / Eldritch Knight X.... :p

I don't remember Schneider being very good with non-dmg spells... but been awhile since I've seen that anime

Remove ads