Rules for gods losing worshippers?

DamionW

First Post
Hi everyone. I've done a quick flip through Deities and Demigods, and still have some questions. I want to create a campaign where the standard DnD pantheon is fading out, but not forgotten by worshippers, and the worship of Elemental Lords on the Inner Planes is rising. I know cleric spells can come without even having a god at all, but I wanted to find a better way to signify the "Old Gods" loss in power. I was thinking reducing the number of general (non-domain) spells by one per spell level, but giving Old God clerics three domains, with all of the granted powers. This would signify a coalescing of the different sects and aspects of a god's portfolio, but show a weak connection to them as a source of power because there are few followers. Has anyone else used a fading pantheon in their campaign? How did you reconcile cleric's powers if their god isn't powerful in the world?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is one of those things I'd prefer to model by the things going on in the background. As far as the gods go, they're all so much more powerful than their worshippers, that I don't see much point in differentiating the powers they give to their followers. After all, if a fading pantheon gives out less power, then shouldn't a demigod give less power than a major god?

Instead of changing a cleric's powers, I'd change the stuff going on around him. Powerful reglious organizations, ones devoted to major gods with major portfolios and lots of adherents, have more churches and resources to give aid to the clerics and their allies. They have more higher level priests around and larger numbers of people willing to give respect to their clergy.

Fading or smaller religious organizations may have face opposition more often, may have to make do with fewer resources, and so on.

I'd make it a social thing rather than an individual clerical power sort of thing.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
billd91 said:
I'd make it a social thing rather than an individual clerical power sort of thing.

Agreed.

This sounds preferable and also has the advantage of no rules changes.

PS. This thread is not really a rules question and should be elsewhere.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases